The Usual... A Max Schneider...

By theundisclosedgirl

Symphony Andrews leads a relatively quiet life... She co-owns a small yet popular coffee shop with her dad, w... More

Prologue: The First Time in a Long Time
Chapter One: Star Gazing
Chapter Two: Rolling Thunder
Chapter Three: Opportunity
Chapter Four: Late at Night
Chapter Five: Figuring it Out
Chapter Six: Gentleman
Chapter Seven: Cliche but Not
Chapter Eight: Lukewarm
Chapter Nine: Stay
Chapter Ten: Fearful
Chapter Eleven: Rebellion
Chapter Twelve: Without
Chapter Thirteen: Right of Passage
Chapter Fourteen: The Answer
Chapter Fifteen: His Own Drawer
Chapter Sixteen: For His Sake
Chapter Seventeen: How'd that Happen?
Chapter Eighteen: Spoiled
Chapter Nineteen: Cards
Chapter Twenty: Ready
Chapter Twenty-One: Beautiful Mess
Chapter Twenty-Two: Gifting
Chapter Twenty-Three: Keeping Promises
Chapter Twenty-Four: Keeping Time
Chapter Twenty-Five: Wait Up
Chapter Twenty-Six: Lifted
Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Right Person
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Relax
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Yours
Chapter Thirty-One: Cracked Plaster
Chapter Thirty-Two: Bucket List
Chapter Thirty-Three: Terminal
Chapter Thirty-Four: Coming to Terms
Chapter Thirty-Five: Wandering
Chapter Thirty-Six: Slipping
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Desperate
Chapter Thirty-Eight: It Matters
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Outage
Chapter Forty: Trying
Chapter Forty-One: New Life
Chapter Forty-Two: Loving
Chapter Forty-Three: Nervous
Chapter Forty-Four: Right Now
Chapter Forty-Five: Hitched
Chapter Forty-Six: Reason
Epilogue: Happy Little Family
Bonus: Alternate Plot Chapter

Chapter Thirty: Trivial

1.6K 25 2
By theundisclosedgirl

~ She's got a smile, and it sing to me... ~

Chapter Thirty: Trivial

I felt a shift beneath me, causing a dissatisfied noise to pull from my sleepy mouth. The movement stopped again, causing me to smile vaguely, cuddling back into what my tired mind knew was Max's warm chest. I settled, letting my body drift again.

He moved again, and I made a noise of slight annoyance. Max took my arms and tugged me apart from his body, moving me beside him. "C'mon," he murmured to himself, finally managing to separate our bodies. He slid out from beneath me, sitting up fully and tucking my arm back beside me. My eyes opened slowly, feeling myself sigh quietly at Max.

"Close those pretty green eyes again, baby," Max murmured. "Go back to sleep."

I glanced behind me at the alarm clock, seeing it was one in the morning. I groaned quietly, looking back at Max and sighing again, huffing to myself in my sleepy state. Max just smiled through the dark, tracing his hand along my stomach.

"C'mon, lovely," he whispered. "You knew I had to get up this early to be on set by two."

I frowned. "That doesn't mean I have to like the idea of you leaving," I mumbled flatly, curling into my pillow. Mayella slowly padded up to lay beside me, where Max had been only a minute or two before, taking his place under the covers. He smiled gently, his fingers still caressing my body as he bit his lip.

"There," he said, nodding at the dog, his voice a small whisper. "Ella can take my place. Once I leave, Storm will lay with you too."

I rolled my eyes. "As much as I love our animals, they can't hold me like you can."

Max frowned slowly at my statement, and I instantly felt bad. "Sorry," I murmured. "I didn't mean to make you feel guilty."

Max shook his head lightly. "It's alright, cutie," he whispered. "I don't wanna leave you either; but I'll be back in a few hours, probably before you even wake up again. I'll love on you then."

I nodded slightly, sleepiness wearing on my body. Max leaned over and kissed my forehead, rubbing my back. "I love you," he said. "I'll come tell you goodbye again before I leave."

I cuddled into my pillow, closing my eyes and feeling Max tucking my covers back around my body. "I love you too, Max," I mumbled, feeling his fingers running through my hair now. I managed to drift again for a little while, before I felt my boyfriend return to my side, setting the cat beside the dog and kissing my forehead again.

"I'll be back soon, my sweet Symphony," he promised, tucking me in again. I mumbled some vague response that made him chuckle, his hand squeezing my shoulder lightly as he leaned over to lightly pet the dog. I nodded sleepily, mumbling a quiet goodbye as Max slowly disappeared from the room, my mind drifting away again.

It was still early in the morning, had to have been seven, when I felt the bed shift again. I was still on my side with the animals curled into my stomach, when I felt a dip at my back. The noises were soft and ginger, and taking a deep breath told me it was my boyfriend, the scent of his body wash wafting through the air, making me smile sleepily. He eased himself into bed behind me, under the covers, trying not to disturb my slumber, although it was disturbed the instant I felt him beside me. He spooned my body against his, my back to his chest, his arms around my waist as he sighed, comforting himself.

"Welcome back," I whispered. He jumped, before relaxing, holding me tighter.

"I didn't mean to wake you up," he whispered. "Go back to sleep."

I giggled blearily, turning in his arms and pressing my face into his neck. Max chuckled tiredly, holding me closer. "Atta girl," he breathed, kissing my forehead. "Early set calls are such a bitch."

I giggled again. "It's okay," I told him. "You're holding me again; that's all I care about."

Max smiled. "Sleep, little dove," he coaxed. "I can feel you're still tired, and lord knows I wanna go back to bed too."

I nodded a little, cuddling into his chest. "Love you," I whispered. Max kissed my hair.

"I love you too, baby."

* * * * *

I felt myself sighing quietly, longing gently for Max's body beside mine. I frowned, slowly letting my mind drift as I worked, my lips absently humming a small tune. It was almost two weeks later, and I was sleepily cleaning around the shop; Max had been on set all damn day, and I switched shifts with Lucas so I could work and distract myself.

I looked up as the bells above the door rang, already knowing who it was. For the past two weeks, Max had been ordering coffee from the shop and having a guy come to pick them up for the cast, at least once per shoot. I didn't mind, as I loved getting to write cute 'I love you' messages on the bottom of Max's cup, and I knew it made his day a little brighter; it was just sweet.

The same guy who'd been picking the coffee up walked towards the counter as I turned to pick up the order. He was a guy about my age, with light brown hair and soft amber eyes, who always wore a light black jacket and a hat that he wore backwards. He strode in with his hands shoved in his front jean pockets, a cocky flair in his step and a confident bounce in his movements. The bounce and flair were vaguely familiar to me, and the first time I saw him walk into the store two weeks ago, I couldn't place the feeling... before I realized it was the same bounce and flair my best friend had had before he met his Sophie.

"Here you go," I spoke, setting the stack beside the register. He grinned that sly grin at me, making it obvious he didn't know I was Max's girlfriend, making me cringe slightly in my skin. I quickly rang up the order, smiling politely as he bit his lip at me, reaching in his back pocket for his wallet.

He'd been eyeing me like this since the first time he came in; the kind of look that made me shiver unpleasantly.

"Here," he spoke, his voice smooth and almost plastic in sound, as if it was carefully said. He handed me his credit card and I ran it quickly, not wanting him in here any longer than he had to be. The receipt seemed to print so slowly as I felt self conscious, feeling his eyes scanning me like they had almost every day for the past two weeks.

"Can you sign here?" I asked, handing him a pen and one of the receipts. I waited for his copy to print as he signed it, and I knew he was doing so slowly in order to prolong this meeting.

"So..." he began... I knew this was coming. "I don't think I've caught your name yet."

I took a breath. "Symphony," I gave a quiet response. The guy's smile widened, forming another plastic, mask-like grin. I felt my stomach sink.

"Symphony," he repeated, and I felt myself shiver uncomfortably as he winked. "Beautiful name."

I shook my head slightly at myself, moving down the counter to begin wiping it down. "So, Symphony..." he kept talking, and it was hard to suppress an eye-roll. "When do you get off?"

I didn't look up at him. "Later," I said, vaguely, wiping the counter a bit more forcefully than necessary. The guy watched me carefully, biting his lip.

"Why don't you..." he slid closer, raising his eyebrows. "Let me take you somewhere."

I decided I'd had it. "I've got a boyfriend," I stated flatly, finally looking up at him. He just laughed though, his voice slimy.

"I don't mind," he stated quietly, crossing his arms and leaning on the counter. "Taken girls like you are more of a challenge."

I still don't know exactly what it was that set me off; I know it was either the disgustingly arrogant way he'd said it, or maybe just the words themselves... maybe it was the way he'd been undressing me with his eyes since he walked in. The next thing I knew, I'd slammed my hand down on the counter and used my other one to push him away.

"Out," I stated angrily. "Get the coffee and go, now."

He put his hands up in surrender. "Alright, alright!" he spoke, backing away. "Jesus you're touchy."

I felt myself get angrier. "Get. Out."

The guy quickly gathered the coffee, muttering something about a 'red-headed bitch' as he left. I felt annoyed, huffing quietly as I threw my rag across the room. "I hate people," I mumbled dejectedly, pushing my hair from my face as I sighed, walking slowly over towards where my towel had landed. I wasn't a prize in a game; he didn't have that kind of right.

Besides, if my heart was a prize in a game, Max would've won it a long time ago.

Just then another customer walked in, and I pulled myself together and smiled at them. No sense in ruining someone else's day because mine had turned to shit.

I worked quietly the rest of the night, between playing piano and just doing my job; I was sleepy beyond words. I closed early and was all too eager to get on the subway and walk the few blocks back to the apartment. I took the elevator up to our floor and drug my feet through the door, knowing Max wouldn't be back for at least another hour. I rubbed my shoulders as I dropped my back by the front door, kicking out of my shoes and dropping my apron.

"Mayella!" I called. "Storm!"

I heard a soft bark, and a small scuffling noise, before the sound of heavy awkward feet came from my music room. My beautiful husky suddenly appeared, bolting just as fast as her little feet could carry her down the hall, her tongue hanging out of her mouth cutely. I giggled as I watched her tail wag crazily, her excitement clear as she ran straight into my shins, falling back on her butt.

"Oh," I laughed. "Baby, you gotta be careful," I told Ella, stooping to pet her head. Storm slowly, and much more gracefully, pranced behind her, nudging her tail lightly as if to say 'Get up, silly!' before he jumped effortlessly to my shoulders. He curled around my neck and balanced himself perfectly, mewing quietly into my ear as I scooped Mayella up in my arms.

"I missed you guys," I smiled. Mayella barked as if in reply, and Storm purred quietly, making me giggle sweetly as I made my way towards my room. I wanted a shower, after the long day I'd had.

I was eating a bowl of cereal after my shower, leaning over the island as I read a book. My head bopped lightly to the music coming from my earbuds, my bare feet stroking along both the cat and the dog's backs, humming gently as I turned the page.

I gasped when I felt arms slide around my waist. I grabbed for the counter feverishly as I struggled not to kick the animals, accidentally biting my tongue hard as I jumped out of my skin.

"Shit..." I heard him say as I pulled my earbuds from my ear. "Oh, baby I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to scare you that bad."

I relaxed slightly as I registered the voice, the smell, the strength of the arms, calming slightly into the familiar body. "It's..." I paused. "It's okay."

Max nibbled on my ear as I reached behind me, tangling my fingers in his hair as his hand pressed into my abdomen. "Let me make it up to you, my guardian angel... Close your eyes."

I did, feeling him lift the barstool I sat on and turning me towards him, before suddenly and quickly pressing his lips against mine. I melted instantly, grabbing his shirt and pulling him closer; my shit day suddenly became a million times better as he kissed me slowly, sliding his tongue effortlessly into my mouth and making me grip him tighter. His hands knotted in my hair as he pulled me from my chair, both of us stumbling back as Max became pressed between me and the opposite counter. He shifted his grip as he slid his hands up the back of my shirt, his fingers gliding longingly along my warm skin as I pulled at his curls, reacting against his movements as I became suddenly aware of every single place his body came in contact with mine.

We had to force ourselves to pull away, Max immediately burying his face in my red hair, both of us breathing heavily against each other as he clutched me against his body. Our chests rose and fell harshly, fingers pressing into skin and faces buried in necks and shoulders as we embraced, staying just like that for a very long time.

"I really, really needed that," Max whispered. I smiled, my eyes still closed as I curled closer.

"I did too," I murmured. "God, I missed you."

Max chuckled sweetly. "I missed you too, my little dove," he spoke. "More than you know."

I smiled easily for a while, just letting him hold me tightly. I fell further and further into his warm body the longer he loved on me, the longer he kissed my hair and rubbed circles into my bare back, allowing myself the simple pleasure of his love as he sighed contently against my neck.

"Hungry?" I asked, pulling back a bit. Max shifted into my hair again, and it suddenly occurred to me he hadn't looked at me since he'd been home.

Max nodded in response to my question. "Mhmm," he murmured. "I'm thinking about a big bowl of Cheerios."

I gave a small noise to let him know I was listening, before frowning slightly. "Max..." I said, slowly. "Will you look at me?"

My boyfriend gave a long, forced breath. "I can do that," he said, slowly, before kissing my shoulder, sluggishly pulling his face up for me to see. I took a sharp breath at what my eyes met.

"Oh my God!" I spoke, gingerly reaching up and cupping the left side of his face. "What in the hell happened to you?!"

Max winced at my sudden change of volume, his hand coming up to rest over mine. "Nothing, cutie," he told me, not meeting my eyes. "I'm okay."

I gave a look of disbelief, staring at the huge bruise and small cut on the right side of his face. The skin was discolored and swollen, and if I was being honest, looked like it hurt like a bitch.

"Max," I began. "Do not honestly sit here and think I'm going to accept that as an answer," I told him, pulling back and walking over to the freezer, pulling out a bag of frozen peas and moving to gently press them against the bruise on my boyfriend's cheek. Max hissed quietly at the pressure, before nodding gratefully, holding the frozen vegetables there himself.

"It's nothing," he repeated. "It isn't a big deal."

I scoffed. "Like hell it isn't."

"C'mon, Symphony. Please don't."

"I can't help it, Max! I'm worried sick for you."

"Just try and let it go, alright lovely?" Max paused. "I'm fine."

I buried my face in my hands, leaning back against the island. "I can't just let this go, Max," I told him, my words muffled. "I can't live with myself looking at you for the next few weeks, looking at that bruise, and not know how in the hell my own boyfriend got it. I'll torment myself with the possibilities of what it could be, and I'll lose sleep, and that'll worry and upset you, and I can't worry and upset you, Max. I won't."

It was silent for a long few minutes, before I felt Max shift. He sighed quietly, using his free hand to pull my fingers back, finally meeting my gaze for the first time since he'd been home. He set his peas down and used the other hand to do the same, pinning my arms to his waist. I held them there, waiting quietly for his explanation. He mulled it around for a moment, before sighing again, kissing my forehead.

"I... I did get into a fight," he spoke quietly.

I tensed slightly, but relaxed again as Max slid his hands up to hold my face in his soft grip. "Why?" I asked, my voice quiet. "Over what?"

Max shook his head. "It isn't important."

I frowned. "Baby, yes it is. Please let me in."

Max bit his lip, weighing his options. "Okay," he spoke slowly. "It was... It was about you."

I didn't bother to hide my slight shock, taken aback by his statement. "Me?" I asked, raising my eyebrows. "What about me?"

Max's body tensed as I saw anger flash in his chocolate eyes. "Because that asshole kept running his fucking mouth and I was so livid I was seeing red and I just..." Max closed his eyes clenching his jaw and looking down slightly. "I lost it."

I watched him gently for a moment, before frowning, grabbing the bag of peas and holding them to his cheek again. His winced, before relaxing, holding his hand over mine. I waited for a few minutes, letting him calm down a little, before he nodded to himself, looking up at me again.

"Brandon," he clarified. "The intern I've been sending to get the coffee I've been ordering from the shop."

Something clicked in my head. "What happened?"

Max got angry again, clenching his jaw and moving his other hand to my hip. "He came back tonight, talking about this 'red-headed bitch,' spewing some shit about how she 'fought too hard for his taste' and was too 'tied down' to try to sleep with," he balled the hand by my waist into a fist, speaking through gritted teeth. "He said it was a damn shame though, because she was a really hot girl and he'd..." Max swallowed, the vein in his neck popping out more as he struggled to control his anger. "He'd have loved to make her squirm."

I stayed silent; Max was shaking by now, and I felt my heart breaking for my boyfriend. "He said he'd been trying to work her for two weeks now and hadn't had any luck," Max shook his head. "I-I didn't believe it was you at first; I'd hoped maybe he was talking about Annie, that girl you work with, and he'd just gotten the hair color wrong..."

Max pressed his body firmer to mine, tossing his peas on the counter again. "Of course, he couldn't have," he opened his eyes a little, giving a distant smile as he pushed my hair behind my ear. "Your hair is too beautiful, too memorable, to get wrong like that."

His smile faded again. "I asked if he knew your name," he returned to the memory and closed his eyes once more. "He said yeah, and the way he spoke your name like it was poison..." he bit his lip, trailing off. "It set me off, my sweet Symphony. It took me over the edge."

I slowly reached up and ran my fingers through his hair. "Baby..."

Max shook his head. "I'm sorry," he whispered brokenly. "I told him the 'red-headed bitch' he kept talking about was the love of my life, and he told me that I was the reason he wasn't..." he had to choke out the words. "Getting any tonight."

I didn't respond, though I felt my skin crawl at what the creep had said. Max took a deep breath.

"Stevie... Stevie tried to hold me back," he told me. "But I was in a rage; I don't even remember what happened, but Halston told me later I shoved him and and he decked me, before I started pounding on him," Max cleared his throat. "I split his lip and left him a crumbled mess on the floor..."

I sighed. "Max..."

He shook his head. "I know, okay?" he said. "I know it was wrong and it was bad and I even managed to scare myself, but please..." Max broke suddenly, clutching me close. "My protective side took control and I couldn't fight it."

I let him hold me, let him comfort himself, deciding I'd chastise him later for doing something like that and putting his job at risk over me. "How much trouble did you get in?"

Max was silent for a moment, before his quiet whisper came with the shake of his head. "The way he was talking about you?" he paused. "No one blamed me."

I nodded a little, bringing him into a soft embrace. He relaxed into my body, his shaking lessening as he hugged me tightly, his fingers tangling in my long hair. "It's okay, baby," I whispered, feeling his arms tightening around me. "You're okay."

Max bit his lip. "That's why I kissed you when I came in," he told me. "Ever since he and I fought I've been craving your touch, been craving to hold you against my body..."

I sighed lightly, kissing his shoulder. "I'm right here, baby," I whispered. "Right here..."

Max shifted me against his body. "I'm sorry," he said, slowly. "I know it wasn't exactly the smartest decision I've made."

I smiled a bit. "We'll talk about that later," I told him, pulling him back to look at me. "For now, get those peas back on your cheek; it'll help reduce the swelling."

Max nodded a little, doing as I asked and setting the frozen bag against his cheek again. "How bad does it look?" he asked, quietly. "I haven't seen myself yet to be able to tell."

I frowned, deciding not to lie. "Well," I told him, taking his chin in my fingers and tilting his head. "It doesn't look real good, Max. You definitely look like you've been in a fight."

Max sighed quietly. "Damn," he mumbled. I released his chin, instead caressing my hand across the side of his face that wasn't horribly bruised.

"How bad does it hurt?" I asked.

Max shrugged a little, shifting his makeshift ice bag. "Like a bitch," he confessed. "It even hurt when I kissed you."

I felt a pang of guilt rush through my stomach. "I'm sorry, baby."

Max gave me a small smile. "The pain is worth the kiss, little dove," he assured me. "I'd take a thousand times the pain if it meant your lips could still touch mine."

I couldn't help but smile a little. "Besides," Max whispered, squeezing my hip. "The pain in my cheek is nothing compared to the throbbing in my head."

I frowned again. "Let me go get you some peppermint oil," I said, kissing his shoulder. "I'll fix you some Cheerios when I get back."

Max didn't argue, nodding and kissing my forehead for a moment, before letting me go. I quickly ran into the other room, grabbing my oil from my bedside table and returning, seeing my sweet Max grabbing a bowl from the cabinet.

"I told you I'd do that," I laughed lightly, taking the bowl from him. Max gave a small chuckle, pressing the pad of his palm to his temple,

"This migraine is killer," he mumbled, letting me sit him down on a bar stool. "I don't know how you deal with this constantly, little dove. I'd go insane."

I just gave a smile. "Years of practice," I told him, beginning to dab the oil on his temples. He was silent, letting me kiss his curls as I moved to pull the back of his shirt up, dabbing some at the base of his back as well. "There," I said, capping the bottle. "That should do it, baby."

Max smiled a little, giving me a thankful nod. "My hero," he laughed quietly, kissing my cheek. I lovingly rolled my eyes, moving to fix his Cheerios. He suddenly got quiet, watching me quietly pour his cereal and add just the right amount of milk, pulling a spoon from the drawer nearby and setting them both in front of him. He looked up at me, chewing on his lip.

"You mad at me?" he asked, his hands laying defeated in his lap. I sighed a bit, smiling tiredly.

"I'm not exactly thrilled that you got into a fight," I told him. "I'm even less thrilled it was about something as trivial as me. You could've lost your job over something as insignificant as me, baby."

Max frowned suddenly. "That's what you don't seem to get though," he spoke, his face suddenly really serious and his tone somber. "That's what I'm trying to make you understand, lovely; you aren't trivial, Symphony, and you're sure as hell not insignificant, not in my book. You're literally the most important thing in my life right now, and I wish you'd get that through your pretty little head..." Max paused, standing and taking my hand, pressing his lips to the back of my palm, his eyes soft and beautiful. "I love you with my heart and soul, my guardian angel. Don't you get that? Don't you get that it hurts me when you say those things about yourself? You don't give yourself enough credit, cutie. I'm not ever joking when I tell you that you're my everything, and I have this desire, this need to protect my everything, so when that guy started talking about you like that..."

Max trailed off. "Am I getting through to you?"

I only nodded in response, feeling myself sniffling. Max smiled softly, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me sweetly into his chest. "Please don't ever call yourself trivial or insignificant ever again," he begged. "You're everything but, sweet girl. I want you to know that."

I nodded slightly, letting him kiss my long red hair. "I love you," he whispered softly. "I love you like crazy, my sweet Symphony."

I sniffled again. "I love you too, Max."

_________________________________________________

SPRING BREAK 2K14!

WHOOO!

This years destination...?

Orlando, Florida, baby :D

So that's next week, expect maybe an early update? Maybe a late one?

Who knows XD

I've been waiting for this for MONTHS.

Let's go!

Bye guys!

- Casey

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.7K 1.9K 26
〝 we both left the men's bathroom and i sat down. "you're something, kirstie," avi said as he sat down next to me. "is that a good or a bad thing?" i...
50 3 2
Emmeranne Quintus, A not so ordinary but looks it on the outside recently turned Eighteen year old girl, With lots of child trauma and daddy issues...
17.9K 2K 33
Sixteen years ago, my sisters and I moved from France to the United States to live the American dream. Not long after, I met Declan, a marine who was...
24.6K 848 37
Confronted by deeply suppressed feelings of love and grief, Danielle, a fierce young independent Cake Shop owner, tries to find the meaning of life...