The Light of Elysium

By MayaR-31

Book 1 (complete) - Veterinary student Elle wants to travel, but she doesn't plan on getting pulled into a ma... More

Author's note
Prologue
1 - Dreams
2 - The Journey Begins
3 - Not in Kansas anymore
4 - Kingdom under the Mountains
5 - No way home
6 - A New Partnership
7 - A dark encounter
8 - Did someone yell for a hero
9 - Down by the lake
10 - Dance of the sun and the moon
11 - The Rainbow Isles
12 - Queen's Conquest
13 - Lammas Festival
14 - Lord of the Emerald Isle
15 - Ill met by Moonlight
16 - Agape
17 - Amongst the trees
18 - Equinox
19 - Capture
20 - Lord Nero
21 - Glimmer in the dark
22 - My sweet
#31CreepyWords
23 - Leap of Faith
24 - Flight
25 - White Water
26 - Fearful symmetry
27 - Company of wolves
28 - Falling
29 - Arcadia
30 - A new dawn
31 - Mr Sullen, Mr Mischief & Mr Silent
32 - Green does not become you
33 - Battlelines
34 - Storm
35 - The wild hunt
36 - Temptation
37 - Whiplash
38 - The Chase
39 - The white knight
40 - Mid-Winter Ball
41 - Promises
42 - The Prophecy
43 - The element of air
44 - Home is where the heart is
45 - Destiny calling
46 - Icarus
47 - Journey by night
48 - A face from the past
49 - Aldebaran
50 - Trial of the White Queen
51 - Sleep, perchance to dream
52 - Lair of the Dark King
54 - Dark games
55 - Winter's embrace
56 - The Ice Queen and the King of Sin
57 - Politics
58 - A truth uncovered
59 - Back from the edge
60 - Muse
61 - Quandary
62 - Night under the stars
63 - Bound in blood
64 - A rolling stone
65 - Waiting for a hero
66 - Pride and Prejudice
67 - Sensibility
68 - Bedouin Night
69 - Flashpoint
70 - Reunion
71 - Denial
72 - Dreams
73 - A fire kindled
74 - Touched by a Goddess
75 - Ostara
76 - The fire within
77 - Options
78 - An inescapable fate
79 - Point of no return
80 - Bereft
81 - Journey's end
Characters/Cast List
The Queen of Elysium - sneak peek

53 - Dark dreams

6.6K 465 122
By MayaR-31

(Elissa's PoV)

After my first two rather stressful first days at Alfheimr, the past few days have been far more relaxed. I have not had to contend with the court and have had a chance to get to know my father a bit better as well as spending time with Darish. I miss my friends in Arcadia, although I at least have the comfort of seeing Aren in my dreams.

Yesterday's dull, sickly-pink sky has yielded snow overnight and today there is not a single cloud to mar the azure firmament. I love winter days like this and yearn to go outside. "Father, do you fancy going for a walk?"

He looks up from an easel. "I regret that I really must finish this sketch." At my fallen face, he rings a bell and Darish appears. "Darish, accompany my daughter as she takes a turn around the grounds."

"Of course." Darish bows smartly and goes to fetch my cloak.

Suitably clothed, we step outside. The palace grounds have been transformed into a winter wonderland. A carpet of white blurs the lines between the pathways and the lawns, while frost paints bare stems in glittering brilliance.

One of the things I struggle with here at Alfheimr is that Darish is my father's servant. I see him as a dear friend and can treat him so when we are alone, but in public I have to remember my position. So rather than walking arm in arm as I would like, I stroll on ahead while he follows behind.

I stop to admire an elven statue encased in ice from a once-flowing fountain and then look up to see a figure in black on the path ahead. My heart becomes almost as frozen as the stricken statue for it is Nero and he is looking right at me.

A flicker of fear runs through me and I turn on my heels. Scanning the grounds for Darish, I'm dismayed to not see him anywhere and start to walk briskly back to my new home.

There is no sound of pursuit and yet every cell in my body screams that he is closing in behind.

Resisting the urge to look back, I get progressively faster until I'm running.

I reach the stairs leading to the front door and picking up my skirts, dash up them. My fingers close around the door handle and I exhale with relief. Too soon, for two hands slam into the door either side of me, caging me in.

Internally, fear and anger collide. Anger wins. I'm not his prisoner now. I refuse to be a victim.

Spinning, I turn to face him and demand, "Leave me alone!"

I shove at his chest, but the effect is somewhat spoilt as he seems as immutable as that statue.

"You ran!" He ignores my frosty stare and smiles. "Surely you wished to play? Do I get rewarded with a kiss from your sweet lips?"

The mere thought makes me want to gag. "Unhand me now, Nero."

My voice holds a strange resonance. Nero shivers and his eyes darken as he brings his body flush against mine.

Think, Elle. There must be servants around, I should raise the alarm. "I will scream."

"Such sweet promises," he purrs. In a sudden movement, his lips descend and his tongue invades my mouth as I open it to protest.

Before I have time to react, the world tilts.

I'm laid on a bed swathed in black silk sheets, wearing a front fastening black corset and long black skirts. The room is darkly gothic with the only colour coming from dark garnet curtains and a tarnished mirror.

Nero looms over me and the predatory look upon his face sends my stomach roiling. He loosens the ties at the bottom of the corset which reveal what appears to be a partially completed tattoo of a flower just below my navel. Where on earth did that come from?

Withdrawing a silver dagger, he slices almost reverentially into my flesh. For some reason, I can't or don't move. The pain is only fleeting and I watch in morbid fascination as blood oozes out into the hollow formed by my stomach. Almost instantly the blood-flow stops and the cut heals leaving my skin unblemished.

His tongue darts out to lick the blade and his eyes close, a look of near bliss upon his face. When his eyes reopen they are almost black, the pupils swallowing the colour. "Soon you will be mine."

His words cause conflicting emotions. The first is horror and a strong desire to flee. The second is a burning hatred and thought of how easily I could crush him. It is the latter that responds defiantly, "In your dreams, Nero."

There is a queasy moment where the world once more tilts on its axis and I'm back in the garden. To my misfortune, Nero is still pressing me up against the door. His eyes are as black as in the vision just now.

Something is digging uncomfortably into my hip. Please tell me that is just a dagger and not that he is happy to see me.

"What a delicious vision you shared with me." He licks his lips. "I can taste you still. I cannot wait until it comes to pass."

Revolted at this vile being, something shifts within me and lashes out, forcing him backwards. Above, the brooding sky grumbles, echoing my discontent. "Not until hell freezes over."

He stumbles, only just regaining his footing and then bows, a sly smile playing across his face. "May our paths cross often during my stay, my princess."

"Not if I see you first."

I storm into the house and slam the door shut behind me. Then the adrenaline leeches from my system, leaving me weak and trembling. My back slides down the wall and I slump onto the floor. Pulling my knees up, I bury my head in my skirts as a sob catches in my throat.

Arms wrap around me, holding me tight and Darish's voice sounds close to my head. "Elissa, what has caused you such distress?"

"N-Nero. H-he..."

"Did he hurt you?" Darish sounds angry. "My humblest apologies, I do not comprehend what happened. One moment I was following you and the next I was laying in the snow. I failed you, again."

"Not at all. You are the best thing here." I throw my arms around his neck and kiss his cheek.

.......

Curled up on a chaise, I try unsuccessfully to read, but keep scanning over the same paragraph. Darish informed my father about the encounter with Nero and he has gone off to the palace to complain.

The door opens and father enters. He gracefully sinks into a seat across from me.

"I regret that the king was unavailable to see me." Although he appears unruffled, there is a tinge of frustration in his voice.

A velvety touch of power caresses my consciousness taking my concentration away from my father and onto the door. Moments later, the door opens of its own accord and the intensity of the power thickens as Morpheus strides into the room.

"My king!" Aldebaran scrambles to his feet, unable to fully mask his shock.

"You wished an audience with me?" Morpheus asks pleasantly.

The king does not acknowledge me, but chooses to sit on the chaise, requiring me to tuck in my feet to avoid them being squashed. His eyes sweep the room. "Aldebaran, have you decorated since I was last here?"

"Sire, last time you visited was close on thirty solars ago."

Morpheus shrugs. "Are you going to offer me refreshments?"

Aldebaran is saved from having to respond as Darish enters the room bearing a tray of tea things, a subtle spiced aroma wafting towards us. He places the tray on the table and promptly leaves.

Picking up the teapot, Morpheus turns to me for the first time. "Can I tempt you?"

The scent rising from the pot is now starkly different and I can't hold back a smile. Morpheus pours the dark liquid into a dainty cup and passes it to me. The coffee tastes like heaven.

His silver eyes sparkle with mischief and the corner of his mouth curls into a half smirk. He pours a cup for my father, who chokes on the bitter liquid, though manages to avoid spitting it out.

Father pushes away the offending cup and addresses Morpheus, "I wish to speak to you about Lord Nero. He accosted my daughter on the steps to my own home."

"To he who conquers go the spoils. Lord Nero stole but a kiss. If anyone was to run from me I would certainly demand far more."

"Indeed, only a fool would run from you. Still, his behaviour is unacceptable."

Morpheus angles himself towards me so that one knee is laid over my feet. "Nero told me of your vision. True sight. It would seem you have inherited extraordinary gifts."

He brings his cup to his lips, leisurely savouring the contents. Stupidly, I get entrapped in those pools of liquid silver and am unable to look down when my dress starts writhing. Cool air brushes against newly bared skin.

As his eyes lower and I am freed. He has somehow altered the neckline of my dress so that it is bordering on indecent. "My dress!"

"You are welcome, Elissa." That smirk comes into play again.

My heart races when he boldly leans forward and trails a finger across my chest.

"Morpheus!" father admonishes.

Morpheus chooses to ignore him, his complete focus remaining on me. "You bear no sign of Nero's claim."

There seems some question in his expression and I'm certainly unable to keep disgust from mine at the thought of belonging to Nero.

"Fret not my sweet rose." He lays a heavy hand upon my thigh. "You have the power to bring him to his knees."

I am so relieved when he rises to leave. Too soon I start to relax, for he turns back to me. "I look forward to seeing you at my table tonight."

It seems like there will be no peaceful dinner today, for an invitation from the king is really more of a command.

...............
AN - the song for this chapter is Believe by Normandie, a Swedish rock band.
Poor Elissa - Nero is back.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

132K 7K 92
Josh dreams of dragons. He thinks it's just a welcome escape from everyday life. Until one morning, he wakes up with scales, wings, and a tail. Josh...
653K 43.1K 49
[Exciting news! This story is now 100% free!] A young sorceress, sworn to protect life at all costs, must choose whether to sacrifice her humanity or...
307 20 24
When Phoebe is woken up by James, the boy she's been crushing on since she can remember, she's surprised to find him in a panic. His sister Kara is m...
21.5K 836 27
TEASER: "No fiancée of mine needs to learn how to fight." His breath flows upon the prickling skin of my neck. I close my eyes, involuntarily shu...