The Musketeer Girl

By GraceBeard

What if D'artagnan didn't travel to Paris alone?? What if his fourteen year old sister had gone with him?? An... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26

Chapter 15

851 29 0
By GraceBeard

Eventually, the evening arrived and everyone within the Garrison parted ways; the three musketeers and the siblings soon found themselves entering the Tavern and, like most nights, sat down in the corner with their ordered drinks. Begin two hours of jokes, laughter and amusing chats - that was until Kayley had finished her third cup of orange juice and stood up from their table "I'm gonna head back to the Inn" she stated as she threw on her cloak; the four men told her that they were going to stay for a while longer before saying good night to her. Upon arriving back at the Inn, the fourteen year old was greeted by Constance who stopped from leaving the dining area, stating she had a surprise for her young friend "if it's that chicken stew again then hallelujah!!" the girl joked....well half joked - that stew was really delicious. Chuckling, the kind woman reassured her that she would fetch her some in a minute "but first" Constance seemed extremely excited as she placed a small tied sack of something into the young girl's hand "this is for you" she smiled. With a raised brow, Kayley opened the sack to reveal....many gold coins?! "30 shillings" the Inn owner snapped her out of her shocked trance "is that enough for you to compete in the competition tomorrow??" she asked; the teenager looked up with wide eyes as she began to protest "wha...I...I can't take this!!" she exclaimed "it's your money!!" the older woman rolled her eyes with a fond smile - she had anticipated for her stubborn friend to refuse her gift. "Don't be silly Kayley"  Constance placed her hand on the fourteen year old's shoulder "I want you to have it and I'm not taking it back, whether you like it or not" Kayley didn't know what to do before she launched herself at the woman, hugging her tightly; it surprised the woman, taking her by surprise - she quickly shook herself out of the shock before returning the warm and rib breaking embrace. "Thank you Constance" Kayley parted from her friend "I...I won't be able to pay you back any time soon though" this earned a head shake from the older woman "I don't want you to sweetie" was all she said before going into the kitchen; she returned with a wooden bowl full of the very much loved stew "now eat up and then it's off to bed" she ordered "you need a good nights sleep if you're going to be competing tomorrow". After thanking Constance one last time - though not for long - the teenager did as told, returning the bowl once she had finished before retreating to her room; she lit a small fire as it was a little chilly - even though it was summer. Quickly taking a shower to wash herself, Kayley dried off and changed into her night clothes; she brushed all of the knots out of her hair with the brush Athos had kindly bought her two weeks ago. Like most nights, as soon as her head hit the pillow, Kayley was out like a light.

Startled away, Kayley realised someone was knocking on the door; she stood up and approached the locked entrance - she glanced over to see her brother fast asleep in his bed. Opening the door, the teen saw the familiar faces of the three musketeers who each sent her tired smiles of their own "morning kid" Porthos yawned out; the greeting was returned as she let them into the room with a smirk "no breaking an entering today??" she teased with a smirk "what time is it??" she asked as she stretched her still tired limbs "around eight O clock". Shaking her brother awake, Kayley told him to get ready as it was morning; he did just that as his sister entered the bathroom to change into her day clothes - he did the same but neither he or their male friends minded him changing in front of them. Within fifteen minutes, the siblings were ready for the day; the five friends left the Inn and walked in the direction of Garrison. Upon arriving, they grabbed some breakfast and a drink before taking a seat at one of the free tables; some of the cadets seemed to sent Kayley smiles and even happily greeted her. After an hour when the clock struck nine, Treville left his office and stood at the bottom of the stairs; everyone feel silent as their attentions turned to him "the competitions will begin in five minutes!!" he announced "hand in your entry fees by placing them in this chest and prepare yourselves" he ordered, pointing to a small chest that was resting on the third step. Only five cadets stepped forward and did so, followed by the musketeers "So the fishing went well I see??" Athos smirked as he threw his money into the chest; Aramis returned the facial expression "it went splendid" his lover chuckled. They watched as D'artagnan did the same once the three moved out of the way "you found the extra ten shillings then??" Porthos asked earning a happy nod "you're not the only ones who went fishing" she stated, surprising the three men. This, however, did confuse his little sister who raised a brow to him "since when have you known how to fish??" they suddenly fell silent as they three men felt their cheeks burn as Athos laughed out loud; he wrapped his arm around the fourteen year old's shoulders and attempted to gently pull her away, back towards their seats "Aramis taught him" was all he said as he continued to chuckle. "Wait!! I need to add my entry fee!!" she exclaimed, pulling away from her friend as she jogged back towards the chest; she revealed the sack from her pocket before disposing it. As the girl sat down, her brother asked how she had acquired the money as she hadn't mentioned it the previous day "well I didn't go fishing if that's what you're wondering" more laughter could be heard from her comment "Constance gave it to me last night, wouldn't let me say no". 

As they stretched and prepared themselves, the competition began. First was a shooting challenge - they had to hit the bulls-eye from a certain distance; Aramis was evidently the best out of all of them with that, though the other's weren't far off either. Next was hand to hand combat of which Porthos had in the bag - Kayley felt a little bad for the cadets as they clearly had zero to no hope with being up against the musketeers. Now it was time for the final challenge - duelling. It was D'artagnan's turn and his sister had a few words of advise for him "don't forget to move your feet and to always keep your sword up" she spoke "don't let your apponent get you on the ground" the man nodded before Athos chipped in "and remember, mind over heart" he pushed his finger against his chest "don't let your anger control you or your actions". As the duel began, D'artagnan and Aramis had the entire Garrison to compete; Kayley watched, yet she couldn't help her mind wander 'why did Athos say that to D'artagnan?? Did he know something about her brother she didn't??' the young man was head strong - indeed. And had a short fuse...and could be a little reckless at times....as sometimes acted without thinking; she sighed upon realising that something must have happened the previous night after she had called it a night 'but what exactly??'. Before she could think any further, Kayley was drawn out of her deep thoughts as she realised that....her brother had won the duel!! The challenges were officially over!! And now Treville had to evaluate what he had just witnessed and decide who would represent; he retreated to his office to do so. Out of all who competed, the musketeers had scored the highest, as well as the siblings of course. They waited over an hour for the captain to make his decision "all he has to do is pick one of us five and then we can all go on our merry way" Porthos complained into his cup of water; Kayley chuckled as she patted the man on the back before finishing her apple. Finally, the man they were waiting for could be heard leaving his office and seen making his way down the stairs; the five cadets, the three musketeers and the siblings stood and gathered around where he stood. The captain made a touching speech about how each contender were impressive and how he was proud that his regiment was as well-skilled as they were "even those who hope to someday join us" he stated, sending a glance towards his niece and nephew. Kayley felt some kind of 'but' was coming. "I couldn't ask for anyone better to represent the musketeer regiment and myself....this is competition is mine and the Cardinal's doing" where was he going with this?? "And so....I will be fighting against the chosen Red Guard" all hearts and smiles dropped "I started this....so I shall finish it". The three musketeers instantly looked towards their two new friends, only to see both hanging their heads low, disappointment painted on their face; Treville dismissed they all before once again returning to his office. The five friends sat back in their original seats "I can't believe he did that to us!!" Porthos exclaimed in anger towards their captain; Kayley sighed as she lent her elbow against the table, resting her head on her hand "knowing uncle Treville, he must have had his reasons" she tried to stand up for the man she cared for, but found it difficult - that didn't mean she was wrong. Athos looked up from his friends to see one of the cadets standing near their table, only a few feet away "em...excuse me??" he asked, sounding rather nervous; the others looked up as they gave his their attention "what is it Daniel??" Aramis asked. The young man, Daniel, spoke as he rubbed the back of his neck "the other cadets and I were wondering if...if Kayley could come do some more training with us??" he asked; Kayley smiled, taking note of how he didn't sound as nervous as the day before when they had asked for her help. As she stood from her seat, the teenager nodded her head "sure" she joined the cadets in the yard and began their training. The musketeers and D'artagnan all watched for a while, that was until Athos stood from his own seat before storming up and into their captain's office.

Furious, Athos pushed the door open and violently forced it shut; it caught the immediate attention of his captain who was sat at his desk. "This is wrong and dangerous!! Why the hell would you do that?!" he demanded to know, pressing his hands down upon the desk; Treville sighed "I had my reasons Athos" he crossed his arms in front of his chest. The musketeer refused to accept that and began to grill the man on his decision "instead of giving yourself on final moment of glory, you should be giving D'artagnan or Kayley the chance to win their commission from the King" the older man held back a huff of slight humour "you really think this is about glory??" he asked, leaning forward in his seat as he rested his elbows on the table, holding a fist in his hand. Athos continued, knowing he needed to get his point across and into his captain's head "all I know is that both D'artagnan and Kayley have it in them to be fine musketeers, perhaps the greatest of us all" he stated truthfully; Treville couldn't agree more but he remained silent as he listened "but now?? We'll never know because you have stolen one of their chances to prove it" and with that, Athos pushed himself up and walked away from the desk before exiting the room all together. Sighing, Treville lent back in his chair, rubbing his forehead as he mumbled to himself "I did what I had to do" he tried to reassure himself.

Back outside, Kayley was still in the middle of training the cadets whilst her brother and the couple remained sat at their table as they watched; they all noticed Athos leave the office and make his ways out of the gate. Deciding upon something that he had been thinking about since the night before, D'artagnan shot up from his seat and hurried after the slightly older man; Porthos and Aramis raised a brow as they heard the young man call out for their long term friend. "Athos!! Athos!!" the said man halted in his steps and turned to where he could hear his name being yelled - he recognised the name instantly of course "what is it D'artagnan??". The young man stopped in front of his friend and nervously asked if he would help him train; this confused and surprised the musketeer "but I thought Kayley was the one who trains you??" he asked "why do you want me to train you as well??". D'artagnan sighed as he began to explain "she does, but Kayley is training me how to perfect what our father has already taught us" that made sense "but if I want to become better, I need to learn new things from someone else". Athos seemed to understand and, while he wouldn't admit it, was a little bit flattered as they were a multiple of people they both knew who could and would also help him - yet D'artagnan chose to ask him. "Alright, I'll help you" he smiled, earning a relieved grin from is friend "let's head back to the Garrison and we'll get started" D'artagnan was more than eager to do as told; they did just that and took some of the space from the cadets as they began their training. Kayley noticed this and called for the cadets to take a break; she rejoined the couple who had also taken note of their two friends new arrangement - they decided to tease the fourteen year old about it. "It appears Athos it training D'artagnan now" Aramis stated, his lover smirking as he looked over towards the teenager "is someone jealous??". Rolling her eyes, Kayley smiled "of course not" she stated truthfully "I'm glad my brother finally got the balls to ask Athos for help, god knows how much he admires him for his skill" she had seen, on a multiple of occasions, D'artagnan stare at the single friend when he duelled with his brother-in-arms during training.....and a few other times as well. But she pretended to not see those moments....for now at least.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2K 89 52
Daria La Vielle was just a farm girl. The Three musketeers Athos, Porthos and Aramis were just soldiers. But all four found they were more than just...
11.9K 284 21
So the war against Grimaud and Gaston and thier army was fought and won and the Musketeers went thier seperate ways . Aramis became First Minister of...
8.9K 240 19
This is a sequel to 'Our Musketeer Girl'. Our favourite group of musketeer's are back from war, all different in many ways from what they've seen, bu...
11.9K 355 9
Oh, how the mighty fall... In love. Only a few men and one daring woman can prevent the coming apocalypse. Who are they? Who is this woman? What happ...