Childhood Hero: Return of the...

By nainai19

[BOOK TWO IN THE CHILDHOOD HERO SERIES] - completed - Zoey Redbird has been through hell and back and still m... More

Chapter 1- Snow
Chapter 3- No More Light
Chapter 4- Where the Fault Lies
Chapter 5- I'm Done
Chapter 6- Half of Me
Chapter 7- Three Months Later
Chapter 8- Leave Me Alone
Chapter 9- The First Casualty of War is the Truth
Chapter 10- Unwanted Memories
Chapter 11- Chaotic
Chapter 12- The Falcon and the Ghost
Chapter 13- One Beat Per Minute
Chapter 14- Storm in the Stream
Chapter 15- Scars and Burns
Chapter 16- The Taste of a Lost Love
Chapter 17- Good with the Patriotic Stuff
Chapter 18- The Time for Answers is Now
Chapter 19- You Risk Your Life for Those You Love
Chapter 20- The Heart that Pumps my Bloodline
Chapter 21- A Lack of Female Entity
Chapter 22- A Team, A Family
Chapter 23- Epilogue
IMPORTANT

Chapter 2- What Happened?

12.9K 446 124
By nainai19

WELCOME

I HOPE YOU'VE COME HERE VIA THE FIRST BOOK, IF NOT, PLEASE CLICK ON MY PROFILE AND READ CHILDHOOD HERO.

- - -

Steve's POV

"Director Fury!" I shout desperately, rushing into the headquaters building for SHIELD. "What's happened? Is Zoey okay?"

Fury walks over to me, his face calm and posture straight.

"Captain," He nods, "We've been informed by Agent Romanoff-"

"Is she okay?" I cut him off in desperation.

"I regret to inform you, that Agent Redbird was captured last night during a crucial part of her mission with the organisation ARROW." He tells me sadly.

"Is she dead?" I ask, my heart racing.

"Steve," Fury sighs, "We don't even know."

"How can you not know!?" I roar, attracting the attention of nearbye SHIELD agents.

"She was on the final part of her mission with Agent Romanoff last night." He tells me, "They were taking down the head of the ARROW organisation, but the plan was somehow revealed, and Agent Redbird didn't make it back to the safe house."

"So she could still be alive?" I ask hopefully.

"We don't know." He admits, "But we believe the man in charge of ARROW, known as 'The Archer', has taken her. She is most likely in another enemy base situated around Russia. ARROW have control over many leaders of the country."

"We have to go find her." I say firmly, "Where's Natasha?"

"She's waiting for us at the safe house." He tells me, "We're leaving today."

"Who's we?" I ask.

"You, Barton, Banner, and other SHIELD agents." He says, "Miss Potts has suspended Stark from using his Iron Man suits."

I nod, walking through the headquarters to the holding bay, where one of my suits is held.

I feel better just seeing my suit, but next to it is the familiar deep red suit; Zoey's.

I look away and put on my suit, rushing out to meet Fury.

Banner and Barton are waiting in the main room with Fury, who sends us off with half a dozen SHIELD agaents.

We loaded into an aircraft, taking off within a minute.

"It will take us an hour or so to reach our destination, folks." The agent flying the plane tod us, "But we are on our way, time to recover Agent Redbird."

I sit down and place my shield beside me, my head hanging between my knees.

- - -

Clint's POV

I nudge Steve's shoulder as we land in the Russian mountains, the scenery white, and cold.

"Here." An agent hands out black jackets to everyone, all of us zipping them up over our suits.

We all get given earpieces, before the group treks off through the snow.

"Well, this is cold." Bruce says from behind us.

"Just keep moving." One of the agents say, "We'll be at the safe house by nightfall, then we can set up base and debrief you all."

Steve nods firmly, trekking through the knee deep snow with determination.

I guess because, to him, everything is on the line.

We make it across the mountains, pushing through the freezing snow and icy wind.

"There it is!" Somebody says.

In the distance, hidden just behind the mountain, is a small log cabin.

It has no lights on, and looks abandonded, but just knowing that Natasha is in there pushes me further.

"Let's go." Steve sets off at a run, making it easily through the snow.

We all keep up with him, reaching the cabin within minutes.

We gather on the tiny porch, shielded from the wind.

Steve knocks on the door quickly, but I put my hand in the way of his fist.

"Somebody else could be in there." I tell him quietly.

Steve nods, then braces himself. He holds up one finger, then two, then one.

He instantly kicks the door down and lets me through.

I hold up an arrow, straight ahead of me incase there are any enemies inside the safe house.

"Hello, Clint." Natasha says, her gun pointed in my face as my bow and arrow reach hers.

"Nat." I grin for a moment and lower my weapons.

The rest of the SHIELD agents come inside the cabin, setting up supplies and making sure the place is secure.

"Agent Romanoff." One of them greets her. Nat nods in reply.

Steve steps inside last, looking around the room, before turning towards Nat.

"Natasha." He nods at her.

"Steve." She nods in reply.

"Are we ready to find Zoey?" He asks, his voice professional.

"I'll tell them everything." Natasha assures him, "I want her back as much as you."

Steve nods again, before the agents take over, getting information from Natasha and plotting out points on a map of the enemy vicinity.

"She was supposed to meet me back here." Natasha points to a spot on the map, "But she never showed. I went back into the building and I couldn't find her anywhere."

"Do you have any idea where they could have gone?" Somebody asks.

"I once overheard a worker say they have a warehouse full of jets and I'd bet anything there's a runway to go with it."

Steve watches for a moment, before silently heading out the back door.

After thirty minutes, the agents come up with a plan.

"Banner," An agent says, "Go get Rogers so we can debrief him."

I watch Bruce go out the back door from the hall, the door closing shut behind him.

- - -

Steve's POV

I hang my head between my knees, my eyes closed as the cold overtakes me.

I don't move for ages, my mind full and my words lost.

I hear the back door open and close, but refuse to look up.

Somebody sits beside me on the back steps, sighing as they got comfortable.

"You know we're going to find her, right, Steve." Bruce's words don't come as a question, but as a statement.

"I know." I lift my head, looking across the mountains covered in white snow.

"She's a strong girl; she's smart, she's got her powers, Zoey'll be fine." He assures me.

"I know she will," I nod slowly, "But I still have to go and get her."

"Of course." Bruce tells me, "And you will. We'll get her back, Steve."

I nod silently, running a hand through my hair.

"They've got a plan." Bruce says, "Are you ready to go find her?"

"Yes." I nod, getting up and following him inside.

"We're leaving now." An agent tells me once I enter the cabin.

"Alright." I say, taking the supplies that are handed to me.

I quickly make my way out the front of the cabin, putting on a pair of skiis with the others, before taking off down the hill, towards the enemy base.

A large bird soars overhead, disappearing behind the mountains. I instantly think of Zoey; my own Redbird, alone.

Taken from me.

Clint, Bruce, Natasha and I make it around the other side of the mountain, accompanied by the agents.

We discard our skiis, before going over the plan once again.

Bruce is told his instructions and he nods, changing into the Hulk.

He braces himself then jumps, disappearing from view before landing heavily on the enemy base.

The ground shakes, and we all run towards the place, pushing over the fences and bursting inside, weapons raised.

We clear the entire building, finding nobody inside, not even any furniture.

We all gather around the last room, counting to three before bursting inside.

Once again, nobody is inside, just  a lone desk, a crisp white envelope resting on it.

"Steve." Clint says, picking it up. "It has your name on it."

I quickly rush over, worried about Zoey's safety.

I take the letter from him, peering at the envelope.

Captain Rogers

I tear it open and read the words written in a fancy cursive writing, my hands shaking.

Seven miles north.

"Captain?" An agent asks.

I look up and shove the paper his way, heading towards the door.

"Seven miles north." I tell them, "Let's go now."

"Steve." Natasha calls me, "She probably wont be there."

"But something else might be." I tell her deteminedly, "I have to know for sure. I could still find her."

Everyone nods and follows me, meeting Bruce outside as he turns back into a human.

A SHIELD truck comes past, and we all hop in, speeding off down the road.

We see a warehouse in the distance, and a patch of road that resembles a runway.

"Nat was right." Clint says.

We all get out and run over to the bland building, Bruce returning to Hulk form and forcing the doors open.

I rush in ahead of the others, looking around desperately for Zoey, or a sign that she had been here.

A light shines in all our faces, causing us to put our hands in front of our eyes.

I lower mine and peer past the blinding light, seeing a shadow standing a few dozen feet away.

"A message from the ones who have captured the Redbird." They say in a rough voice.

"No!" I yell angrily at the words of Zoey's kidnap, "No!"

I run at the figure, but a mechanical arm comes out of nowhere, colliding with my left cheek.

In my fury, I don't see it coming, and it sweeps me off my feet, causing me to land hard on my back.

"Steve!" The others rush towards me, Natasha helping me up.

Clint sends an arrow towards the figure, but they jump and dodge it, producing a gun and shooting at us.

I quickly raise my shield to protect myself and Natasha, and the Hulk stands in front of Clint and the other agents and shields them with his form.

When the shooting finally stops, I lower the shield and run towards the figure, but I reach the wall too quickly.

I look around angrily, searching for the person who was a part of Zoey's capture.

"No!" I yell in anguish, throwing my shield to the ground. "Zoey!"

"Steve-" Somebody says, but I cut them off.

"She can't be gone." I say repeatedly, "She just can't be."

The others stare at me silently, nobody knowing what to say.

- - -

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.3K 644 20
Brought to Earth by her mother, alongside her twin sister, at the young age of six, both Azar and Artemis train under SHIELD to become Earth's heroes...
218K 8.1K 33
This is the second book in the Red Room series, this is a sequel to RED ROOM ! After a mysterious god from space steals one of SHIELDs most dangerous...
8.5K 169 26
Life seemed to be going good for Sophia Stark-Taylor. She met the love of her life, reconnected with her brother, learned to control her powers and...
3.3M 86.9K 74
Few had known Natasha had a Sister. Just like her, she was an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. Unfortunately, Camille Romanoff has been deceased for the past f...