The Games The Capital Forgot

By a-k-a-anonymous

If you were to search through the shelves holding each recording of The Hunger Games, you would find the 39th... More

Prolog
District 1 Reaping
District 2 Reaping
District 3 Reaping
District 5 Reaping
District 6 Reaping
District 7 Reaping
District 8 Reaping
District 9 Reaping
District 10 Reaping
District 11 Reaping
District 12 Reaping
The Train Ride
Stylists
The Opening Ceremony
Training Day One
Training Day Two
Training Day Three
The Training Session
Scores
Interviews
The Last Night

District 4 Reaping

2.1K 81 163
By a-k-a-anonymous

District 4 Reaping

Cheshire Hydra:

I heard it once said that their was a fine line between sanity and insanity, I've just never really been sure where exactly that line is. I lay on my back lazily chewing on some seagrass as the morning sun beat down on me. Technically, what even defines the term 'sane'? I snorted, I oughta murder whoever it was, then I paused frowning as I realized, with my luck someone had beaten me to it.

I rolled over onto my stomach and ran some sand through my hands unhappily. Everyone was always calling me insane, retarded, or as some of the adults who were trying to be nice put it; mentally unstable. What the poor peasants just didn't understand was the fact that my brain was simply more evolved than theirs. I sigh rather dramatically as I finally came to my conclusion; geniuses are never appreciated until they are dead.

Suddenly I heard footsteps approaching, I rolled over and sat up shaking the sand from my hair. A squabblefinder was making its way up the beach, it's white shiny uniform glistening in the sun. Squabblefinders, I believe, are the dumbest of all creatures on the earth, while I have never had a chance to study their IQ in depth, judging by their primal interactions they are about as smart as the average rock. Surprisingly though, they are one of us humans closest realities.

I quickly take out my notepad and begin to sketch it in its natural habitat. The squabblefinder noticed me and walked over.

"What are you doing little girl?" It asked, it's voice deep and musty. I shivered with excitement, finally a chance to study it's IQ!!!!

"Drawing you in your natural habitat!!!" I squealed a little too happily.

The squabblefinder's answer was delayed, it seemed taken aback by my answer.... Interesting, very interesting I would have to document this later. "Well cut it out!!!" It said "Don't you have somewhere to be?!"

I nodded "I'm supposed at the career training center, but I'm not." I suppose my unyielding honestly is one of my worse traits, especially when it came to situation in particular. Squabblefinder's are called that for a reason, they seem to think they're in charge of everyone around them and it often causes trouble..... The trick is to know how to put 'em in their place.

"And why aren't you where your supposed to be?" It asked authoritatively, now came the tricky part.

"Because I don't want to be there. I have better things to do." I said flatly, crossing my long arms across my chest.

"Look, you need to go to your training. Here let me escort you there." The squabblefinder said aggressively grabbing my wrist, I shot to my feet and twisted from its grip,and quickly threw my heel into his chin. It connected with a devastating crack, as the squabblefinder collapsed to the ground, unconscious.

I frowned as I realized that I would no longer be able to study the squabblefinder in its natural habitat..... I could always drag it back to my house and put it in a cage and study it there..... Or I could dissect it..... Or best of all I COULD GO FISHING!!!!!!

I grinned, it had been forEVER sense I had a chance to fish for sharks, I had missed the rough bitter meat they had!!! No wait!!!! Now I was CRAVING it!!!! I grinned crazily as I searched through my ever present utility belt for some rope, upon finding it I quickly tied its limbs together. As soon as I was satisfied the knot would hold I grabbed the end of the rope and began dragging the bait away.

"You get a line, I'll get a pole, we'll go fishing for some sharks in a hole....." I sang my original parody softly as I reached the path that led up the cliff to my favorite fishing spot. I sigh. Why did the squabblefinder have to be so heavy? I cursed gravity as I started to trudge up the path.

It was long, and slightly agonizing, but I knew it would be worth it once I got my shark.

About halfway up the cliff the squabblefinder began to regain consciousness. "What....?" It moaned dumbly, as it was dragged even farther up the cliff.

I ignored it and kept singing, getting to my favorite verse about how the shark would fall at my feet begging for mercy.

Suddenly the squabblefinder gave a shriek that resembled one of a prepubescent male, it began thrashing unrelentingly as it screamed.

"W-WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!!!!" It asked finally, it's voice tight. I quickly concluded it was nervous.

"Going fishing. DUH." I said simply, continuing to drag the squabblefinder uphill.

"For what?" It asked, stopping its repetitive, annoying, attempt at escape.

".....Fish, you idiot." I grumbled pulling harder than ever as I saw the end of the path ahead.

"Ok.... Then why am I tied up and being dragged up a cliff?" It asked nervously, trying to get a good look at me.

"Your the bait." I growled, the heat and heavy lifting seriously taking a toll on my mood. I mean seriously, where is a little breeze when you need one?!!

"You can't be serious." It muttered going white, which, according to my study's was a sign of pleasure.

I gave it my best grin which, in the past had made babies cry, and said "You bet!!! Now shuddup so I can think." I growled the last part, allowing myself to display my inner mood.

It let out a bloodcurdling scream and began thrashing again.

When I finally reached my destination, I was at the end of my rope. The stupid thing just wouldn't be quiet. It racked my brain like a chainsaw would.... That reminded me..... I need a new chainsaw..... -- Anyway I took a moment to breathe and take in my normally otherwise comforting place.

My special place was a flat peninsula of land that jutted out over the ocean, dropping off to a 50 foot cliff, at the bottom of which was the blue, tumbling sea I loved so much. I look under the lone tree that was still standing, (I had chopped the rest down in a fit of anger, about a month or so ago now.....) and saw my shark fishing kit right where I had left it.

Ok my break was over, I had to start now if I wanted to make it to the Fight To The Death pickings later. Those were always amusing, I chucked involuntarily, seeing a peasant dragged up to the table screaming was always a good pastime, however sometimes their were volunteers, which made it a lot less amusing. I sigh as I grabbed the anchor and dragged it to the side of the cliff, the chain that attached it to the tree clinking loudly as I pulled.

I straightened up, cracking my back, upon reaching my destination. Ugh all this heavy lifting.... What's a girl to do?! I thought disgruntled, as I walked over to the still squirming squabblefinder.

"You- you MANIAC!!!!" It uttered as I slung it over my shoulder, unamused by the unoriginal insult.

"I prefer the term visionary." I said flatly as I dropped it in top of the anchor, with unusually good aim. The sharp upturned point of the anchor pierced the squabblefinders side as if his flesh was no more than a slice of butter. It screamed louder than before as it thrashed violently. Fresh blood splattered all over the place, including onto my pretty dress I had picked out for the Fight To The Death pickings later on, how inconsiderate!!!!

Oh well. Nothing I could do about it now.... I grabbed the anchor and kicked it over the side of the cliff, watching in amusement as the squabblefinder screamed.

Now don't get me wrong, I wasn't using him as live bait for any reason besides the fact that sharks bite faster. And... Well.... I do find some enjoyment in watching the stupid thing struggle for its life.....

The chain went taunt as I heard a splash in the water below. I crossed my legs and waited patiently, unmoving, for the shark to bite.

"AGAIN?!!!!"

I jumped spinning around, only to see my twin brother, Jin, with his hands to his cheeks in horror.

Before I go on introducing you to my brothers obvious stupidity, I feel it is only fair to give you a brief description of him. Jin is tall and unnaturally thin, this is the only quality we share despite being twins, while I have long red hair, he has short black fuzz, that he always insists on slicking back. He dresses rather blandly, resembling a junior underfed professor and never carries a weapon. In my expert opinion he is a goody two shoes who would be the first to jump off a bridge if his friends asked him to.

"Yes, peasant. Again." I said dryly as he went whiter than usual.

"Cheshire!!! You could get killed for the types of crimes you commit daily, the only reason you don't get arrested is because of dad!!! Oh and don't you call me peasant." He snapped, his voice pitching a little making me laugh. Puberty was amusing in males.

After my brief burst of laughter I shot him my death glare, "You act like I care, peasant, and they couldn't arrest me even if father wasn't chief of the forth tribe!!!" I stuck out my tongue as he cringed, I guess he wasn't kidding about the tongue piercing grossing him out. Honestly he was such a wimp!!!

I moved my outstretched tongue back and forth some more, before putting it back into my mouth. "What is with you?!" He finally managed to utter "With the whole, 'forth tribe' and 'squabblefinder' stuff-- these things already have names you realize!!!!"

"They have been renamed for the sake of science!" I chide, peeking over the edge of the cliff. The squabblefinder now lays still in the bloody water, but no sign of my shark.....

"Science?!" He shrilled, stomping over to look with me. "What's scientific about using another human being AS LIVE BAIT FOR A SHARK!!!!"

I give him my most scholarly, unamused look. "Nothing. Today is my day off, and I'm fishing." I said flatly, strongly debating on pushing him over the cliff, but then poor old mother would be so distraught.... "And for the record," I add "Squabblefinders are not human, they are closely related to us, but they are on average, less intelligent and soulless."

Jin just kind of looked at me in horror for a few moments. "And the sad part is you really believe every thing that comes out of your mouth don't you?"

I narrowed my eyes, my fingers dug into the soft grassy earth. Without thinking I flung the dirt at Jin, he let out a ear piercing scream, "EWWW DIRT, EWWW!!!" He stumbled backward, accidentally falling over the side of the cliff.

Ops. I had forgotten about my brothers irrational fear of dirt....

I peered over the edge to see him flailing wildly in the water, screaming "EWWW BLOOD!!!" Every time he came up for air. Oh well, maybe some more live bait would attract my shark? I sigh in frustration, I swear the one day I decide to go fishing the stupid shark won't bite!!!

I lean backward and stare up at the sky, looking at the few clouds that dotted the blue infinity. To pass the time I began looking for shapes, the shapes you see, I theorize are a mirror into the near future if you know what to look for.

Ok.... That one looked like a chainsaw..... That one looked like a chicken eating baloney.... And that one looked like Jin's lone freckle that could be located on his left shoulder.....

No shark..... I realized with disappointment. I stand up knowing that I should of checked the clouds before I had gone through all of that work, no sharks would bite today.

I trudge over to the path and begin to climb back the way I had come, back down the steep crooked path that led to the long empty beach, back into town, back through the door of the home in which I resided.

My father was standing in the doorway combing his few remaining strands of hair that he held dear to him as he nearly bumped into me.

"Oh hello princess!!! Where have you--"

His eyes went to my formally pink party dress that was now a deep scarlet.

"So that's what happened to poor Herman..." He muttered sadly, my father really was a dear, caring so much for the squabblefinders he took care of. Then he sigh and looked at me in disappointment, "Cheshire, you seriously can't keep killing people ruthlessly, your 15 years old and have already acquired a body count that would put Jack the Ripper to shame. You need to grow up and become a lady, go shopping like other girls, find a husband, I don't know..... Open a zoo even!!! Just stop killing people!!!"

I studied him for a minute. He was using improper grammar, improper grammar irked me. Grammar was not invented to use improperly, if it were, improper grammar would be considered proper, and proper grammar would improper and humans would STILL choose to use improper grammar!!! It was so infuriating!!!

"Did you listen to anything I just said?" My father groaned, rather exasperated.

"You used improper grammar." I said, unable to hold my distress in any longer.

He sigh in exasperation. "If you really love killing things this much, perhaps in a few years you should volunteer for the games. Anyway sweetie," he kissed my forehead "I'll see you at the reaping, I have to go supervise the preparations. Oh and change your dress before you come, that ones a little bloody." He turned to leave but I grabbed his arm screeching "WAIT!!!"

He stiffened as if he was afraid that I was going to stick a knife in his back, "Father that is BRILLIANT!!!! I'll volunteer this year!!! Then when I win, I'll have enough money to fund my research!!!!" I screamed jumping around happily.

My father looked at me horrified, "What research.....?"

"HUMAN EXPERIMENTATION!!!!" I screamed at the top of my lungs, making some of the neighbors peek outside their houses fearfully.

"You can't volunteer this year, sweetie...." My father choked nervously for whatever reason, "Jin is volunteering, you wouldn't want to have to kill your own brother right?"

I grinned, not really caring, "Oh.... Jin fell off a cliff earlier.... Not really sure if he's alive or not.... But if he is that's all the more reason to volunteer!!! I'd love a friendly fight to the death with my brother!!!" I continued my dance happily.

"You can't volunteer, as your father I forbid you!!!" He said angrily

"YOU CAN'T STOP ME DADDY!!!!" I said in a sing-songey voice as I danced up the stairs to my room.

I slammed the door behind me and went over the closet and grabbed a light blue dress, rather young and innocent looking, but it was the only other dress I owned. I quickly slipped my formally pink dress off and went over the the small was dish in the corner of my room and washed the blood from my face and hands before quickly slipping into the blue dress.

I quickly exited the room and trotted down the stairs, almost bumping into a very bloody Jin on my way. He scowled at me, but I just skipped past him, not paying him much mind.

I was going to the pickings, at which I would volunteer.

Of course their always was the small problem of the fact that in tribe 4 everyone knows if anyone is going to volunteer that year. You see, I'm pretty sure the training center picks out who will volunteer ahead of time, I wouldn't really know though.... I don't show up a lot.

I saw a school aged girl walking on the road ahead of me, I trotted up to her. "Hi." I said, going against my normal anti-social behavior.

She stopped and turned, her face smiling as if she expected to see her best friend. At soon as we made eye contact though, the smiling was replaced with fear. "Uhh. Hi, Cheshire." She said haltingly looking down at her feet.

"You know my name.....?" I asked upon my natural reaction of curiosity.

"....Yes. Your the mayors daughter, everyone knows your name....." She said, barely above a whisper.

"Oh. Ok. So anyway I was curious, do you know who's volunteering this year?" I asked

"Jenna Seagrass." She whispered before quickly running off.

"Jenna Seagrass....." I muttered, the name was very familiar to me, Jenna and I rather had a 'history' together.

Every feud has to end eventually.

Now to find the evil little sea urchin. I figure from my previous stalking sessions that she's at her house, she always takes a while to get dressed. Very vain if you ask me.

Her house wasn't far from where I stood and it only took me a minute to reach it. I entered without knocking and charged up the stairs, I heard her mother yell something at me, but I paid no mind. I threw open the door to her bedroom, Jenna was sitting at her vanity squirting herself with some perfume and had turned around startled as she heard me barge in.

"It ends now." I hissed venomously.

"Ummm hi Cheshire..... and what do you want....?" Jenna asked awkwardly, I saw through her act of innocence though. No one could ever make me forget what she had done to me.

I glared at her,"Don't play games Jenna. You know what you did."

".....Ummm what did I do....?" She asked without dropping her act.

"When I was 3 and you were 4 you wrecked my beautiful sand castle!!!" I screeched "AND THEN YOU ATE MY SANDWICH!!!!"

Her eyes widened in horror and her eyes darted looking for some type of weapon, but alas, Jenna was one of 'THOSE' girls who loved pink, feathers and fluffy stuff and there was not a even somewhat threatening something around. "MOM!!!! THEIRS A CRAZY PERSON IN MY ROOM!!!" She screamed suddenly, jumping from her seat and making a break for the door.

With my signature catlike reflexes I grabbed her around the waist and threw her into the bed with ease.

Suddenly I was pushed aside and her mother ran past throwing herself protectively over her daughter. "Noo don't hurt my daughter!!! Leave her alone!!!"

And this girl was picked to represent tribe 4? Pitiful.

I sigh, deciding to seize the moment. "I'll let you live on one condition... Don't volunteer for the games."

"ANNNNYYYTHHIINNNGGGGG!!!!" Her mother screamed as Jenna shivered in fear underneath her.

I turned around and exited the house. Well that was easy.... I guess I might have a slight reputation....

I walked down the short cobblestone road the led to the center of town, where the pickings were always held. I trotted around the slow reluctant people who blocked my path, getting to the quickly developing line to check in.

I tapped the girls shoulder in front of me, she turned around. I put on my most dramatic face of sadness, "Can I cut in front of you? My poor brother is volunteering and I don't want to miss it." A fake tear dripped down my cheek.

"Be my guest." The girl said a little too eagerly, steeping aside.

I preformed my act a few more times before I was at the head of the line and face to face with the squabblefinder who sat at a desk.

"Hi." I said

"Your name little girl?" It growled, sending a spark of annoyance through me.

"Cheshire Hydra." I growled as well, much to its annoyance.

It grabbed my hand and stuck my finger with the ceremonial needle, then waved me through.

I trotted over to the segregated arena for the children of 15 years and stood around excitedly as the cage slowly filled to the point of we were all standing shoulder to shoulder-- well except for me. I had used a rock to trace a circle around my territory that I had claimed and everybody knew it was best not to cross it if they valued life.

Suddenly a off breed of human that I call the 'flufferpus' jumped onto the stage. It smiled, twirling a little to display its exotic feathers.

"Hello and welcome to the 39th annual reaping!!! Before we start today we have a verrrry special film from the capital." It signaled to a squabblefinder off stage and a large talking picture began to play behind the flufferpus.

"War, terrible war." It started, I was taken aback, war was good. Things died in war.

"Widows, orphans, a motherless child. This was the uprising that rocked our land." I narrow my eyes. Like I care about other humans.... and what did rocks have to do with anything?

"Thirteen districts rebelled against the country that fed them, loved them, protected them. Brother turned on brother until nothing remained." Love? Protect? Oh gosh all the happiness was killing me. I felt like I was watching some stupid kid show.

"And then came the peace, hard fought, sorely won. A people rose up from the ashes and a new era was born." Peace was no fun.

"But freedom has a cost." You act as if we don't know nothing is life is free, you idiot. Don't remind me.

"When the traitors were defeated, we swore as a nation we would never know this treason again." I bet the traitors didn't swear with you.

"And so it was decreed, that each year, the various districts of Panem would offer up in tribute, one young man and woman, to fight to the death in a pageant of honor, courage and sacrifice. The lone victor, bathed in riches, would serve as a reminder of our generosity and our forgiveness." Seriously? That was cheesy as heck.

"This is how we remember our past. This is how we safeguard our future." More cheese.

Even if I didn't like the film, the flufferpus was near tears as she spoke the lines as they were played. After a second she smiled "That film is so beautiful! Now on with the reaping! Our young lady will be picked first as usual--"

"I VOLUNTEER!!!!" I scream at the top of my lungs as I bounce up to the stage.

"Ummm sweetheart, I'm glad your excited but you can't volunteer yet." The flufferpus said approaching me warily.

"What does it matter?"

"It's not fair to other people who might want to volunteer....." It said uncertainly

"Nobody else wants to volunteer." I said flatly turning to face the audience coldly. "Trust me. They know better." I made side to glare at each and everyone of them.

"Now that's not fair..." It giggled nervously pushing past me and addressing the audience. "Now, does anyone else want to volunteer?"

Dead silence filled the lot, though a lone cricket attempted to volunteer.... I would kill it later.

"Ok then, I guess we have our female tribute....." It looked toward me questioningly.

"Cheshire Hydra." I grinned, anticipating the future.

I would get to run around killing people, including my brother who I knew would volunteer, I would win, and finally I would have enough money to become the recognized genius I was.

I was good.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

63.2K 3K 17
There was a reason that the whole of Panem rarely spoke of the 69th Hunger Games: it was one of the most bloody and brutal of them all. Not everyone...
8.8K 171 89
Three years. Three Hunger Games. Three victors. This is the story of three Games in the latter half of the 6th decade (66th, 68th, 69th), and the det...
12.4K 309 18
Rosewyn Snow had been raised to lead. Her view of the great country of Panem had never altered; her mind had a clear image of what the government sto...
9.7K 1.1K 77
Nothing else known to the citizens of Panem can quite align with the horrors one can face within these arenas. Each year it changes, each year it's s...