The Games The Capital Forgot

By a-k-a-anonymous

If you were to search through the shelves holding each recording of The Hunger Games, you would find the 39th... More

Prolog
District 2 Reaping
District 3 Reaping
District 4 Reaping
District 5 Reaping
District 6 Reaping
District 7 Reaping
District 8 Reaping
District 9 Reaping
District 10 Reaping
District 11 Reaping
District 12 Reaping
The Train Ride
Stylists
The Opening Ceremony
Training Day One
Training Day Two
Training Day Three
The Training Session
Scores
Interviews
The Last Night

District 1 Reaping

6.2K 132 147
By a-k-a-anonymous

OK, so this is my first fan fiction that I actually get to publish, just the fact your reading this is amazing to me! So I promise I will update 3 times a week, maybe more. The games will be told by mutable tributes point of view. My friend wants to help me write it so not all of the chapters will be written by me. Anyway, I think that settles it. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

Also, before I start, there will be a sponcer system announced before the games begin, so you can impact which tribute wins. I'll tell you how it works when the time comes, in the mean time I recommend thinking about who is your favorite tribute is, you will only be able to sponcer one.....

Anyway, here's my first chapter, I hope you enjoy!

District 1 Reaping

Georgette:

I am Georgette. Georgette Channel. I am beautiful,  I am fierce, I am a career, and I get what I want.

And when I don't get what I want?

Well theres Hell to pay.

Don't get me wrong. I'm no brat, I'm actually apart of one of the poorer families in district 1. (Not that I'd ever admit that to anyone.) I'm just as stubborn as they come and won't stop working until I've reached my goal.

My goal changes a lot, sometimes it's a dream, sometimes it's a new fighting technique, sometimes its as simple as a diet.... and sometimes like today, it's revenge.

The sun was still low as I sat alone outside the old bakery waiting for my friend Ameile to show up. Ameile was the only person on earth who knew the true me, all my family's problems, my weaknesses and my strengths and I turn I knew everything about her. We were like sisters... Sometimes I swear we were separated at birth or something. Every morning we would meet here to discuss our lives and such, the bakery was the ideal place to do it too. No one lived near by, it was forgotten by all and all the locks on the doors still worked for privacy.

I sigh, she was late. Today of all days she was late! I needed her help to work out the kinks in my plan! I stomped my foot impatiently as the cold morning breeze blew by my face making me shiver as it tussled my long blond hair.

Toward the east I could see the sun rising, the sunrise was dull, the sun pale as it slowly inched upwards through the sky. I briefly wondered if the sun was ever late... Then promptly cursed myself for being stupid. What kind of question was that? I sounded like a scientist or something stupid like that.

Suddenly Ameile's brawny figure was visible in the distance as she ran forward. I crossed my arms over my chest and tapped my foot more visibly so she could see I was impatient.

"What took you so long?" I demanded

"My mom." She said flatly scratching her short spiked hair on her head. "She wanted to know where I was going because the reaping is later, speaking of which," she smiled "Rumor has it that your volunteering."

"Rumor is correct." I grinned, but then frowned as the more pressing matter accrued to me. "Come inside... We have a lot to talk about." I said quickly, opening the creaky old door that led into the musty old bakery's cafe.

Ameile shut the door behind us as I selected a somewhat stable looking table and sat down, wiping the dust that had settled away.

Ameile took the seat across from mine, it promptly cracked under her weight. We both sat there startled for a minute before we burst out laughing hysterically. Ameile stood up and kicked the broken remains of the chair, "Stupid chair tried to murder me!" Which only made us laugh harder as she went to grab a chair from another table. This one held firm and we slowly able to get control of ourselves.

"So. What do you want to tell me?" She asked shifting her weight in the chair warily as if she was afraid it would crack like the last one.

I sigh, letting the distress of the situation show on my face. "Look... You know how my family has to share a house with my relatives, right?" I asked, my face reding at the embarrassment of my family's financial state.

Ameile nodded as if it was no big deal, even though it really was.

"You know my cousin Paisley, right?" I asked, a little twinge of anger bubbling up inside of me just at the thought of him.

She nodded, "I know you dislike him strongly... But you never explained to me why you don't like him..." She said cautiously knowing she was treading on dangerous ground.

I pursed my lips, trying to find the right words for my jealously. "Paisley is favorite. Everyone in the house will admit it. Even my own mother is like 'Why can't you be more like Paisley?'  Everything seems to come easy to him, and he's very charismatic, everyone who meets him loves him... I mean honestly! What does he have that I don't?!!" I paused my rant briefly as I remembered yesterday's event. "When I asked him yesterday why he's not a career, he said 'I don't want to kill things... I'm not like that.... I want to make the world a more beautiful place.' How stupid is that?!! I HATE him so much!!!" I scream pounding my fist on the table and a crack appeared in it.

"Woah Nellie..." Ameile chuckled "Don't take your anger out on the poor table."

I closed my eyes and took a few deep breathes before sighing, a few tears clogging up my throat. "Just once, Id like to have my parents look at me proudly and say 'That's our girl, I can't believe we thought Paisley was better than her.' But I don't think they ever will.... I need to show them. I need them to see me and him in another light. That's why I'm volunteering this year. And so is Paisley." I say straightening up, and wiping the tears from my eyes.

"Wait." Ameile asked confused "Paisleys not a career... What would make him volunteer?"

I smiled darkly, the genius of my plan, making me shiver in pleasure. It had taken me days to devise, but now I think I had it. "He would volunteer if he thought Mouse was going to volunteer."

"Who's Mouse?" Ameile asked bluntly, still rather confused.

"This little crippled kid he took under his wing about a year ago, he really cares about him." I explained

"Ok... So how are you going to get Mouse to volunteer?" Ameile asked doubtfully

"He's not." I smiled slyly "Paisley just needs to think he is. I'll break 'the news' to him minutes before the reaping, he won't have time to ask Mouse, or see if any older kids are volunteering. He will probably volunteer as fast as he can to 'save' Mouse, then vola! I have my revenge!"

Ameile stared at me for a long time, her face blank, though I could tell she was thinking. Then finally she spoke, "Girl, you are downright prime evil!" She laughed "Though are you sure Paisley will buy it?"

I rolled my eyes. "He's as gullible as they come."

"He better be, I'd hate to see your plan fail." Ameile said checking her watch, "Look I gotta go, mom will kill me if I'm not back by 9, I'll see you at the reaping!"

We both stood up, knowing that Ameile's mom was not a force to be reckoned with. I hugged my friend goodby and we parted ways.

The sun had risen so the sky was brighter now, I must of been talking with Ameile longer than I had thought, I realized. I wondered if anyone had noticed my absence.... I doubt it. I thought bitterly, sometimes I wondered if they would care if I fell off the edge of the earth.

I brutally kicked a unfortunate rock that happened to be in my way, it flew 20 feet before smashing into one of the houses that lined the street. A woman poked her head out and began to yell at me, I just shrugged innocently and took off running before she could call the peacekeepers.

My house was in the southern half of the district, the poorer section. It was a little 2 story house that looked as if it had been standing sense the 21st century. It looked pretty big, I guess, until you factored in the fact that their were 15 people living in it. I sigh walking up the short walkway to the door, nearly bumping into Paisley.

"Hi George!" He said brightly. Apparently the idiot hadn't caught onto the fact that I hated his guts.

"It's Georgette." I said harshly, his face turned from happy and bubbly to hurt and confused within a few brief seconds of each other. I realized that I needed him to think liked him in order for my plan to succeed and forced a smile to my face. I punched him lightly on the shoulder "I mean heck, I don't like being thought of as a boy." I giggled and he smiled.

"I'll try to remember that." He grinned continuing on his way.

Throwing open the door I walked up the beelined toward the stairs, not making eye contact with any of my relatives getting ready for the reaping, but a small part of me hoped one of them would stop me and ask me where I had been, but none of them did.

I reached my bedroom, which was really more of a huge bunker because I shared the room with all of my cousins younger than 18. I walked over to the closet and pulled out the reaping dress I had saved up for and bought with my own money. It was a thigh length dress it was strapless and pink with sequins. I quickly slipped it on, loving how complimenting it looked on me.

I couldn't resist going over to the mirror and twirling. I bent closer to the mirror, pleased, looks were one thing that I was blessed with and Paisley had completely missed out on. Don't get me wrong, Paisley isn't ugly by any standard.... He's just.... Average if you know what I mean. I on the other hand could of easily been a model, and I'm not just saying that.

Ok my allotment of time being vain was up. Vanity was a guilty pleasure of mine, utterly useless and a waste of time. I grabbed a brush and began to pull through my wind blown hair until it was to my standards, then I turned around preparing to leave the room but I stopped. There stood Gem, my youngest cousin, she looked up at me in awe as she clutched her teddy bear to her side.

"You look really pretty Georgette." She said. I smiled feeling genuinely touched from the attention, even if it was only from my youngest cousin. "Thank you." I smiled, kneeling down and trying to hug her, but she pulled away.

"Where's Paisley?" She asked unaware of the hurt she was causing me. "He's supposed to tell me a story."

"He left." I said, more sad than angry. "But I could tell you a story." I offered, hoping she'd except.

Gem narrowed her eyes at me. "I dunno.... Do you tell good story's?"

"Very." I said, seating myself on one of the beds.

"Ok." Gem smiled as she bounced onto my lap. "Tell me a story about a princess!!!"

"Ok." I said giggling a little at her enthusiasm. "The princesses name-"

"STOP!!!" Gem screamed "That's not how you tell a story!!! You have to start with once upon a time. DUH."

I felt a twinge of annoyance as I continued "Once upon a time, in a far away land their was a princess named Mary--"

"STOP!!! DON'T YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT TELLING STORY'S? The princess is supposed to be named Gem. DUH. I'm going to go find Paisley." Gem shouted jumping from my lap and storming off.

I frowned. Stupid little kid.

I stood up and brushed my dress off and began my walk to the reaping, through the bustling house alive with activity from which I was excluded, down the cobblestone walkway that led from my house and to the street.

I decided to take the long way to the reaping, I still had plenty of time and besides I wanted to think, to plan.

When I was reaped I didn't want people to see me for who I was, I knew that everyone would see me as a major threat, and I didn't want that. I wanted the other careers to underestimate me and think I was the least threat.... If I pretended I was weak and unskilled with weapons I would be killed, perhaps even forbidden to get in with the other careers.... No I would pretend to be a stupid, ditzy, airhead. Nobody expected anything more from district one, for whatever reason we were supposed to be the 'stupid district'. Perhaps it was because of all the mercury we used in fabrics.

I would have to show off my strength with weapons, but I would also have to take orders well and pretend to be an idiot. I shuddered knowing that would destroy my pride, but I had to tell myself that the true me would come out eventually at the least expected time, and people would admire me more for my cunning trickery.

I began to near the square, I looked for Paisley. I did not see him so I backed into a doorway, as my plan relied on me confronting him at just the right moment.

I watched the crowd intently, catching sight of Mouse in the reaping line. The little dark boy had his finger pricked before he was quickly waved to the 13 year olds pen. As I watched the line of kids I flinched as I realized how many of the kids in the district- Being most of them- About 90% of them want my head on a platter.... All for different reasons too, pretty impressive if you think about it.

Impressive in the bad way.

Then I saw him, walking, laughing and talking with a group of friends. I watched him like a cat watches a mouse, waiting for the right time... They separated  and got into line for the reaping. The line moved slowly, too slowly for my liking.

Finally Paisley got to the desk. They pricked his pale finger and were about to wave him through when I darted out of the doorway I had been standing in, "PAISLEY!!!" I screamed at the top of my lungs as I pushed through the crowd toward him. He turned, startled as his concerned blue eyes met mine. "Paisley... It's Mouse, someone told me he's going to volunteer!" I said, pretending to be out of breath.

Horror spread across Paisleys face as a peacekeeper grabbed him and began to pull him toward his pen, "What? Why?" He yelled over the confusion of the crowd.

"I-I don't know!!! I think he said he had something to prove!!!" I screamed before he was pulled from my sight.

Well that went well, I smiled. I think the fool bought it, now to see if he reacts the way I guessed...

I went to the back of the line, ignoring the dirty glares I got from some of the kids who knew I was up to something, and waited. I was the last person in line, when I got to the peacekeeper at the desk, she smiled, "Thank Snow that's over!" I think she may of been trying to start a conversation with me so I frowned coldly, showing her without words I had no interest in social interactions.

The woman shrugged and grabbed my finger, pricked it and waved me through. I went strait to the 17 year olds pen and pushed my way over to Amelie.

"Did it work?" She mouthed, not wanting to attract attention to us.

"I think so." I mouthed, grinning, glancing over my shoulder at the 16 year old boys pen where I could see Paisley trying to catch Mouse's eye. Fortunately for me, Mouse seemed to be in another world, showing no sign of turning around anytime soon.

I turned my attention to the stage as a man (I think, you can never be sure with the capital) entered the stage happily. "Hello and welcome to the 39th reaping of the  Hunger Games! I'm Bubbly Barberosa and I'll be your district escort!"

Everyone cheered in excitement, I just rolled my eyes and clapped unenthusiastically, having seen this all before. Why couldn't we get on with the reaping?

"Now before we get on with the reaping we have a very special film, strait from the capital!" Bubbly screamed in excitement nearly jumping.

I inwardly groaned, it's not like we didn't have the stupid thing memorized.

"War, terrible war. Widows, orphans, a motherless child. This was the uprising that rocked our land. Thirteen districts rebelled against the country that fed them, loved them, protected them. Brother turned on brother until nothing remained.

And then came the peace, hard fought, sorely won. A people rose up from the ashes and a new era was born.

But freedom has a cost.

When the traitors were defeated, we swore as a nation we would never know this treason again.

And so it was decreed, that each year, the various districts of Panem would offer up in tribute, one young man and woman, to fight to the death in a pageant of honor, courage and sacrifice. The lone victor, bathed in riches, would serve as a reminder of our generosity and our forgiveness.

This is how we remember our past. This is how we safeguard our future.” The film flickered off and I let out a small breath of relief, glad that was over.

Bubbly bounced across the stage happily. "Ok now time for the reapings! Ladies first!" He wasted no time in ripping a paper out of reaping bowl. "Georgette Channel!!!" He shrilled like a deranged bird.

Wait what?! Oh well, this just made me look more innocent. I widened my eyes in surprise as I stepped from the pen, and assuming my act as the ditzy girl I would be until it came time for me to become myself again, I bounced up to the stage and threw my arms around Bubbly. "OH I AM SO EXCITED!!! I'VE BEEN TRAINING FOR THIS MOMENT MY WHOLE LIFE!!!!" I squealed bouncing up and down.

Bubbly squealed and jumped up and down as well like a little girl... He didn't let go. If I pushed away that would be out of character, so I simply squeezed his obese guts with all of my might making him choke for air, however I was careful to look oblivious to the fact I was hurting him.

I finally let go and he stumbled backwards winded. "You have a strong grip for a little girl." He uttered, trying to catch his breath.

"Awwww thank you!" I purred happily.

He seemed to have recovered as he walked over to the microphone "Now does anyone want to volunteer for Georgette here?"

Before anyone could say anything I jumped in. "They don't want to volunteer for me.... Trust me.... It would be very bad for their family's health." I said breaking character long enough to let my district know I meant business.

"They might, who knows." Bubbly said addressing the crowd, looking for a volunteer, and for once their were none. "Ok that was a little weird." Bubbly uttered under his breath, but walked over to the boys reaping bowl.

"Now for the young man!" He plunged his hand into the second reaping bowl.

"Van Zest." He read as a boy smiled and started to walk up to the stage.

"I VOLUNTEER!!!" Someone shouted, I looked over, Paisley. Poor fool had volunteered so fast, probably desperate to volunteer before Mouse, who of course had no intention of ever volunteering.

My ditzy girl grin turned into a devilish one for a second, thinking of how I was going to finally have the chance to prove myself...

Ok there's the first reaping, any thoughts? It was written by yours truly. I will upload district 2's reaping tomorrow to get on track of the days I'm uploading. Remember if you liked it comment, vote, stay tuned for district 2!

~A.K.A Anonymous

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

138K 4.3K 63
Life for victors is still hard. Nobody wins the game; there are only survivors. Johanna knows that well since her win in the 68th game and her family...
19.3K 416 23
Surfing waves and surfing emotions wasn't different for Kenzie, both of them challenges that she wanted to conquer no matter what. Just like her dete...
2.4K 121 34
One of the most prized freedoms in human life is the freedom of choice. Millions have fought and died through the centuries for the right to choose...
2.3K 47 42
They all thought the Hunger Games were over. They all thought that the Games would never come back: no more reapings, no more killing, no more starvi...