Rainbow Reflection

By Mygypsy

Harley woke from an accident that should have ended her life. When Drew found she had no memory of who she w... More

Rainbow Reflection
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9 - Him
Chapter 10
Chapter 11 - Him
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36 Betrayal
Chapter 37 Yesteryear
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40 - Homesick
Chapter 41
Chapter 42.
Untitled Part 45
Chapter 44. A mother's love
Chapter 45. Hell hath no fury ...
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Next in the Werecat Stories
Epilogue

Chapter 32

718 61 8
By Mygypsy

Micah:

I stand with my thumbs hooked in the waistband of the shorts Ed had produced for me on his arrival at the vehicle. He is working under the bonnet of the overheated car, I can clearly hear the clink of metal hitting metal and his soft grunt of effort. I glance across at Rhonda sitting on a camp chair in the shade with Claire standing close to her.

"There," Ed says straightening from beneath the bonnet. He slips the wrench in his back pocket then reaches for the rag that is hanging from a belt loop at the front of his jeans, he wipes his hands clean before stuffing the rag in the pocket with the wrench.

"The bottom radiator hose won't last far but it should get them to the Homestead where I can fix the car up properly."

I can see the concern on his face. He would no sooner leave a woman and child, human or were, to take the chance of being stranded on the side of the road than any of the Australian warriors would. I glance back at Rhonda but she is looking at the car with a frown.

"I would not feel right sending you on your way with a vehicle that could break down and leave you stranded on the side of the road," I say. Rhonda looks at me and I give a slight nod.

"You can come to our place and Ed will fix the vehicle properly," I say evenly. "Who knows, one of our American crew may know of this relative of yours."

"I am happy to pay for repairs," Rhonda says in a dignified voice.

"If you must you can pay for any part but call it a gesture on our part to foster good relations between our different Were societies." I tell her with what I hope she recognises is a friendly smile.

"Thank you," Rhonda says with a soft smile. I find myself smiling back at her. In what must be an intimidating situation Rhonda has bought a quiet dignity to the last two hours.

"Would you like me to drive the car to our place?" I ask. I mentally remind myself that the Homestead has been Sasha's since it was believed Rosy was dead. Something to talk to Sam, Mitchell and Rosy about since I know she loves being here so close to her beloved mountain.

"Thank you but no thanks," Rhonda says firmly. "I am capable of driving this troublesome beast."

"If Claire is lucky my three sons will still be around the Homestead and she can meet them. Terry is five, Dacey is four and Wynn is two. I will insist the boys all remain in their human forms," I say.

"Thank you," Rhonda agrees lightly.

"All set Mrs G," Ed says as he shuts the bonnet and makes sure it has locked into place.

"You want the bike? I can go on all four," Ed offers with a glance my way.

"You go get ready to get started working on the car," I say as I move to fold the chair Rhonda has vacated prior to putting it in the boot of the car. I shut the boot with a loud noise which makes Claire whine as she stands back warily eyeing me. I laugh softly at the look on the young girl's face, she blushes then hides her face against her mother's side. I get down on one knee to appear less imposing and smile reassuringly at her as I hear Ed start his bike and head off. Claire watches me warily as I give her one of my most charming smiles.

"I am sure we can find some extra sandwiches if you are hungry," I tell Claire knowing from experience children are always hungry. Claire glances up at her mother hopefully and Rhonda gives a slight nod.

"Claire and I would appreciate that," Rhonda says smiling down at the girl. Claire smiles and it lights up her face chasing the shadows from her eyes. She heads to the vehicle, there is something about the way she is so self assured that tells me she is someone important, not just an ordinary member of werewolf society.

"If you would like to leave first I will follow along behind just in case," I tell Rhonda. I watch as the car is started then disappears out of sight before taking my shorts off and changing into my cat, a quick snap of my jaws has the discarded shorts in my teeth and I set off at a trot in the ditch where I can quickly melt from sight if a vehicle comes along. When I arrive at the Homestead Ed already has the car parked in the shade working on it while Rhonda is sitting on the veranda in the shade with Lydia, a tall glass of something cold in their hand. Claire and the three boys are playing some game around the side of the house amid lots of giggles as I head inside to change and dress.

I go to my car and check my phone, frowning when I see Jazzy has sent me a message that Kali has been unusually restless since I left. I glance up at the over cast sky and frown, Kali is always hard to settle on rainy days. The longing to be with my daughter wars with the need to spend time with my wife. I glance back towards the house where she is sleeping on her bed. I know she will sleep a while longer before waking wanting to eat. I understand it is the physical effect of the twin pregnancy but I can't help a twinge of resentment of its demands on her.

"Problem?" Kia asks beside me startling me. I frown as I glance her way but hold out my phone so she can see the message, she glances at my face but doesn't say anything. I hesitate for a few moments before heading back inside, I pause in the doorway watching Rosy sleep. She is curled up on the bed, her fur looks soft and inviting, tempting me for a few moments but the thought of Kali miserable and fretting has me walking to the bed reluctantly.

"Rosy, hey come on, wake up for a few moments," I urge as I run a firm hand over the side of her head. I take a firm hold of her neck not far behind one ear and give it a gentle shake. Her eye opens and she looks at me for a few moments before closing it and yawning widely, flashing her long canines at me in annoyance at being woken up.

"Jazzy is having trouble with Kali," I tell her. There is no reaction from her and I pat her front shoulder firmly.

"How about I take the boys back with me?" I ask. "They have been here just over a week. Give you a day or two to yourself, let you sleep like the lazybones you are," I laugh softly managing to not sound upset with her need for rest when I am here and want to spend time with her.

Her eye opens and I am lost in the intense violet colour as I gaze into it, absently I scratch behind her ear as I keep eye contact with her.

"I'll take the boys," I tell her softly. "Give you some peace,"

There is no reaction for several moments then she sits up and rubs her head against my chest, even rubbing her cheek against the side of my head.

"I love you too," I tell her softly as she settles back down on the bed. I look back from the doorway as I go, the sight of my love curled up on the bed pulls at me urging me to join her but the need to go to Kali pulls at me also. Outside the boys and Claire are sitting enjoying some apple slices and a cool drink. I glance at Lilly where she is chatting to Steven while Sam glowers at them and I bite back a smile.

"Okay boys" I say brightly, "Who's coming home with me?"

All three boys turn their heads to look at me before looking at Claire with longing. I glance between the four of them and give an inward sigh, I realise I should have thought it out a bit more clearly.

"Okay, how about I come back tomorrow for you three?" This gets a chorus of cheers from the three boys and I glance towards Steven. He understands my look and gives a nod.

"I'll stay here and lend a hand," Steven grins.

"Do I get a goodbye?" I ask the boys. I have to smile at their distracted chorus of farewells, clearly saying bye to their dad doesn't compare to playing with their new friend.

Rosy:

Loud shouts bring me awake and I sit up carefully, my body is reluctant to wake up and I am forced to take my time getting off the bed and heading outside. I pause in the hallway as the memory of Micah waking me to tell me he was leaving surfaces, I push down disappointment at knowing he is not here for a twilight hunt as we had planned. As I step out onto the veranda I glance at the position of the sun, I frown as I realise I haven't been asleep for the normal length of my usual afternoon nap.

Raised voices sound once again and I look towards one of the far sheds, a cluster of three or four people are there. Two of them step away from the others and one seems to threaten to strike the other. I leave the veranda and walk over that way as quick as I can, as I get closer I recognise the voice of Rhonda.

" ... I mean it!" Rhonda shouts and I realise her ire is directed at the American werecat John. I shake my head in annoyed disgust, something about him sets my teeth on edge and the feeling has intensified recently.

"You keep away from my Claire!" Rhonda shouts angrily.

"The child misunderstood is all," John protests, a whine to his voice. I glance at the young girl Claire where she stands behind Rhonda well away from them.

"What's going on?" I ask as I approach.

"It's just a simple misunderstanding," John rushes to say. "I didn't do anything to hurt you did I Claire."

I glance at the young girl who has moved to hide behind Rhonda while both of them glare at John. I watch Claire a few moments, note the way she rubs an upper arm, slipping her fingers under the edge of her sleeve as if it is tender. Suddenly the way my three boys have always given him a wide berth sends a prickle of unease up my spine.

"I heard the young Miss yelling, came over to see what the problem was ..." Ed says but stops talking as I frown at him. I glance at John, Rhonda and Claire. John gives me that too smooth smile of his and glances towards Claire.

"I'm sorry if I accidentally scared you Missy," John darts a glance my way but I don't react or let his eyes catch mine. "I was just keeping an eye on where the child was for her mother,"

"You was tryin ta steal me away!" Claire bursts out before moving close to Rhonda and clinging to the back of her top insecurely.

"If you so much as touch my daughter I will have no problem hunting you down and hurtin' you! I mean seriously hurtin' you!" Rhonda growls in a most threatening manner that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end.

"The child stumbled! I was merely helping her up!" John protests and bares his teeth in a nervous grimace.

"Malcolm gave you set jobs to do today didn't he?" I demand firmly. "I would strongly suggest you get back to work and keep away from the Homestead while our visitors are here." My tone of voice leaves no doubt I am not suggesting to him but telling him.

John opens his mouth to say something and I open my eyes wider as I arch my eyebrows up in enquiry daring him to say something. I know he looks to Micah as his boss rather than Malcolm, and then Sam as second in charge while Sasha and I are viewed as nothing more than mere females. He glances off over my left shoulder and something flickers in his eyes for a fraction of a second before he drops his gaze. A muscle jumps in his tightly clenched jaw even as a smile curves his lips and he inclines his head slightly. I watch as he turns sharply on his heel and heads to one of the work utes. He leaves quickly and I watch until he is out of sight before I turn to look at what he had seen over my shoulder.

Sam and Lydia are walking up from the direction of the river towards the Homestead while Malcolm and Steven are jogging my way, probably from the same place the other two had been. I turn away to smile reassuringly at Rhonda and Claire before glancing at Ed but he had already returned to working on their vehicle.

"Would you like to tell me what really happened?" I ask Claire softly with an encouraging smile. A protective growl comes from Rhonda but I ignore it as I watch the uncertain expression on the girl's face.

"He had hold of your arm didn't he," I say in a gentle voice rather than ask. Claire hesitates a moment, glances at her mother who smiles encouragingly at her.

"I believe you," Rhonda coaxes.

Claire glances down at my swollen stomach before glancing at Rhonda apprehensively, she opens her mouth to speak before suddenly shaking her head vigorously.

"You'll believe him cause he's mostly cat like you!" Claire blurts out before racing towards the house as if the Hounds of Hell were hot on her heels. I watch her run to where some toys sit in the shade before she throws herself on the ground.

"She isn't lying! He has done something!" Rhonda says firmly.

"What's going on?" Malcolm asks as he and Steven slow to a walk a few metres away. I see the way both toms keep glancing between Rhonda and I as if expecting trouble.

"John Wolfe put his hands on Claire," I say coldly. A low snarl immediately comes from Malcolm while Steven rolls his eyes and nods.

"Can I do the honours?" Malcolm asks hopefully. "I haven't fired anyone yet."

"You'll need to check with Micah," Steven says. "There is a lengthy agreement with terms and conditions about the American cats working here."

"We returned to get afternoon smoko," Malcolm says with a smile for Rhonda then myself. "Would you Ladies care for a cuppa?"

"If by cuppa you mean coffee I would love one," Rhonda says with her quiet dignity.

We head towards the Homestead, I take the chance to look around enjoying the peaceful afternoon. Sam is waiting for us at the bottom of the veranda steps and glances my way.

"Lydia has just gone to put the kettle on and check the coffee pot is full," He says taking a long look at my face. I know he is checking to see if I look tired or stressed and I motion towards the picnic table under the shade cloth where we usually have our mid afternoon drink and snack. As soon as we sit down Claire gets to her feet and runs to her mother to whisper in her ear, I look away concentrating on the birds that are in the lemon tree chasing insects.

"I am really surprised my husband has not rang me on my mobile phone to check on me," Rhonda says. "In fact it is really strange I haven't gotten so much as a text message from either Louis or one of our sons,"

"For some reason this area is a rather large dead spot for mobile phone reception," Sam says. "We use sat phones,"

"Oh," Rhonda lets out a slight huff of surprise.

"Oh dear one of us should have asked if there was anyone you wanted to contact," I say as Malcolm gets to his feet quickly.

"Here Rhonda," Malcolm pulls his mobile from his shirt pocket and offers it to her. "Sorry about that,"

"Thank you," Rhonda says as she gets to her feet and moves away slightly.

She is just finishing her phone call when Lydia calls out to Sam who hurries inside to help her, they both come outside with trays. Lydia has a pot of tea, one of coffee as well as milk and sugar and a can of chocolate powder. Sam's tray was several different containers on it and when he puts it down I instantly reach for a scone smothered in strawberry jam. As I bite into it I glance at the other containers, a variety of biscuits are in the different compartments along with a simple sponge cake on a plate already sliced up.

"It's not quite the usual range of afternoon snacks," Lydia says. "Lilly took the last few caramel cookies in their snacks for Wynn. He's going through a stage where he only eats them of an afternoon,"

"Young boys," Rhonda laughs as she passes Claire several chocolate chip cookies. "Lou and I have seven sons as well as Claire,"

"I have my two girls Sasha and Lana, plus Sam, Rosy and their brother Mitchell," Lydia says with a fond smile at both Sam and I.

"And now my little ratbags come and run you ragged," I say with a laugh.

"Lydia loves every second of it," Malcolm says with a laugh and Lydia rolls her eyes but the broad smile on her face gives his words credit.

Everyone soon settles down to relaxing and enjoying their choice of cuppa and afternoon snack, I take my time eating the scones Lydia had prepared especially for me without any butter or cream. There are only one or two biscuits left and a single slice of cake when the drone of a distant motor catches my attention. I catch Malcolm's eye and give a slight incline of my head in the direction of the road.

"Your husband be likely to be getting here soon?" Malcolm asks Rhonda, she stops drinking her coffee to listen intently before glancing at her wristwatch.

"Maybe in twenty minutes half an hour at the soonest," Rhonda says.

I concentrate on the faint drone of the engine and smile as it slows, I am not disappointed as I hear it slow right down to take the turn onto the road that will bring it past our driveway.

"A vehicle just turned onto McIntosh road off the Highway," I say and Rhonda looks at me in surprise. Within minutes the others can hear the vehicle coming up the road and I smile as it slows.

"Do you think your husband and sons would like something to eat and drink?" Lydia asks getting to her feet,. Rhonda starts laughing softly.

"My boys would eat you out of house and home," Rhonda said and paused as she shook her head. "Doubtlessly they would have stopped somewhere earlier and got enough snacks to see a small army over until supper time."

"I've become used to feeding large armies," Lydia says with a smile. "Any one of these toms here are capable of eating a rump roast in one sitting plus the necessary amount of roast potatoes, pumpkin, carrots, peas and corn to go with it."

I tune out the talk as I join the toms in getting to my feet as we watch the large four wheel drive come into sight. I glance towards the sheds to see four of the six American werecats move into the open before I turned my attention back to the vehicle as it slows and comes to a stop.

"Daddy!" Claire yells with joy and throws herself at the large dark haired, dark complexioned man who gets out from behind the wheel. The rear doors open and what seemed to be an ocean of dark haired boys spill out in two long continuous streams. Their voices rise and fall like the swells of an ocean as they mill around, suspicious looks are cast our way by the noisy mob as they cluster around their parents and Claire. Amusement bubbles in my throat as I quickly pick out the way the boys would be able to be arranged into steps of height no doubt connected to their age. There is instant silence from the boys and I glance between their parents, even from this distance I see the faintest of lines at the corner of Rhonda's eye in profile and the slightly pursed lips. I bite the inside of my cheek to prevent myself laughing as this woman who would stand no more than chin high to her husband brings complete silence and stillness to this horde of males with a mere look.

As the driver turns towards us I take in his size, he's as tall as Sam and Steven but his muscular body has a slightly different build to it like he was built for brawn and strength where my brother and Steven are slightly more lithely built. He stands his daughter beside his wife before he glances between Sam and Malcolm. Quickly he focuses on Malcolm and a friendly smile transforms his intimidating face as he extends a hand.

"My name's Louis Hammond," He says as Malcolm steps forward to shake his hand. "I would like to thank you for helping my wife and daughter, my sons and I were beside ourselves with worry when we realised we had become separated and I couldn't raise them on my phone."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

510 0 4
Waking up in the middle of nowhere with no memory of who she is or where she came from, Melinoe has to learn everything about her life that had been...
157 21 9
Sumi wakes up from a car crash and finds herself in a strange familiar place with everyone acting unusual. everything was fine until an elegant man f...
148 2 11
Waking up with no memory of who he was or what happen to him, Hunter is lost in the world he doesn't remember. Slowly regain his past with each encou...
827 21 18
Ella woke up with no memories. She ended up in the foster system, becoming a run away, with few friends, and when she's finally happy, her past start...