Thanatos: The Blue Dawn

By Devita33

*COMPLETED* (Book #2 in the DAWN series) #19 in Fantasy Aurora Venerelli, the new goddess-to-be in Olympus... More

Prologue
(1)Slipping into Cerulean
(2)Cyan Flavoured Desire
(3)Stirred and Viridian-filled
(4)Trickery in Teal
(5)With Navy Nuance
(6)Drowning Deeper in Blue
(7)Sapphire Surrealism
(8)Thoughts as Deep as the Aegean
(8.2)Thoughts as Deep as the Aegean
(9)Olympian Blue
(10)A Mask of Cobalt
(11)Indigo Heat
(12)Blueberry Clouds
(13)Turquoise Family Tapestry
(14)Spindrift Blue Barracades
(15)Azure Nights
(16)Even-handed Aqua
(18)Steely and Arctic Tactics
(19)Deep Sea Dreaming
(20)Amidst Blue Flames
(21)Lapis Lazuli Souls
(22)Powder Blue Blaze
(23)A Sea of Lavender and Ash
(24)Aquamarine Haven
(25)Zaffre Dagger
(26)Aurora Borealis
(27)My Tavernier Diamond
(28)Opal Pardon
(29)Whole Cerulean Hearts
(30)Bleu de France (Part 1)
(30)Bleu de France (Part 2)
(31)Path of Midnight-Blue
(32)Hell is a Forgotten Blue
(33)Moonstone Delights
(34)Denim, Deities and Departures
(35)Ultramarine
(36)Under a Navy sky
(37)Periwinkle with Serendipity (Part 1)
(37)Periwinkle with Serendipity (Part 2)
(38)The Royal Blue Treatment
(39)Capri Bonds
(40)Blue-bathed Revelations
(41)The Glaucous Corrosion
(42)Hyacintho Daemonium
(43)A Tanzanite Throne for my legacy
(44)Confessions of the Night sky
(45)Blue dusk
Epilogue
Azurian Threads- The Tales Book
Book Three
White Dawn

(17)Breaking the Ice

24.3K 1.3K 204
By Devita33

'Soul mates aren't just lovers- they're best friends first of all...'

Breaking the Ice

"Well done, child!" Conrad's excited encouragement echoed through the small dome. We watched as the hot ball of fire I'd formed flew up to the centre of the glass dome and with a twirl of my fingers it exploded into millions of speckled stars that rained down onto our heads and faded into dust.

Persephone squealed and clapped her hands.

I turned my head around to grin at her with a proud glimmer in my eyes.

If Thanatos knew I'd sneaked out of my room to come practise he would forcefully drag me back by my hair. Now I wasn't going to pretend that I didn't find that slightly arousing...

"Oh, Rora! Try that water trick again! I simply love it!" Persephone said as she picked up her porcelain tea-cup and took a sip of the steaming Earl Grey. Her dark hair was pinned up with a pearly clasp and stray curls framed her delicate face as she smiled up at me with child-like glee.

"Of course!" I extended my hands and breathed out steadily. With my one hand I shaped a thick rod and with the other I gathered water molecules hanging in the air- they collected easily into a long strip. I gracefully dropped my one hand and flicked my wrist like I was handling a whip- the water strip cracked against the titled floor and shot some droplets onto Persephone's face.

She giggled and stood up to come stand near me. "Amazing! I wish I could do this... Imagine how much fun it would be to hit someone with this!"

One thing I'd learn very quickly from my time here in Florence and in the Underworld was to never judge a book by its cover.

Persephone may be child-like in her excitement and character, but she was far from innocent. It was refreshing- I didn't have to bite my tongue around her.

"I know! Watch this... Stand back a bit."

Persephone took a few steps back and with the flick of my wrist I cut the thin whip of water forward. It quickly curled its tip around Conrad's coat hanger and I ripped the whip back. With a loud crack the coat hanger broke in half and shot small wooden splinters in every direction.

Persephone clapped with amazement.

Conrad shook his head as he lifted his eyes up from his papers; "Aurora..."

"Sorry!" I giggled innocently and quickly lifted my hand up to reshape the coat hanger back to its original condition. The pieces of wood on the floor flew up and reattached itself to the broken and cracked base- gluing itself together again. We watched as the wood quickly reintegrated into the base and the cracks faded as my magic repaired it with simple ease.

"All fixed." I said sheepishly as the coat hanger appeared brand new.

Conrad tried to hide his small smile as he lowered his eyes. "You know, dear, if you want to practice fighting, perhaps you should go to the barracks. All the other students are in class; it would be the perfect time to go now, if you'd like?" Conrad removed his glasses from the bridge of his nose and fixed his dark grey eyes on mine.

I smiled and shot Persephone a look; "Would you like to join me?"

The goddess of spring grinned slyly; "Oh, I was going to come even if you didn't invite me!"

We giggled and Conrad just shook his head in amusement; "Just be careful not to hurt anyone- and remember; don't overdo it! You need your energy for tomorrow's training with Alexus."

"I won't and thank you for today's lesson- I'm sorry I was a bit late."

"That's alright, dear." Conrad grinned and signalled for Samaria, who stood at the entrance, to come into the room; "I know Hypnos is visiting and you probably had some introductions to make."

"Oh! Hypnos is there?" Persephone asked excitedly.

"He arrived yesterday. Hi, Samaria!"

"Hey girl! Good Afternoon, my lady." Samaria bowed slightly as she passed Persephone. The goddess smiled cheekily, just nodding her head.

I clapped my hands together; "Right! Let's go before classes end!"

I grabbed Persephone by the arm and waved to Conrad and Samaria as they discussed some academic schedules. Samaria winked goodbye, but Conrad only nodded his head; a small amused smile playing on his lips; "Try not to hurt anyone, girls..."

Persephone mumbled into my ear; "Where's the fun in that?"

I'd changed into some black shorts, a sport bra and my trainers, and I was busy pulling my hair into a high ponytail as Persephone examined her gold-coloured nails.

"So what do you think of Hypnos?"

I pursed my lips and shrugged; "He seems very calm and cool. I like him- I think we have a very similar mindset."

"True... He's always been the more composed brother, but even more distant than Thany."

"Thany?" I asked with a laugh.

Persephone giggled; "Thanatos hates it when I call him that!"

"I can imagine!" I picked up my boxing wraps from the table and quickly wrapped them around my hands and wrists. Persephone watched in interest as I folded them with some skill; "Do you box?"

"I used to do some martial arts, but about two years ago I started with some basic kickboxing classes as well, just for fun. It's really good for stamina..."

"I can imagine! You should teach me some basics! But not today- I just had my nails done..."

I laughed and watched as Persephone winked and adjusted her silky white dress. The strap hung over her one shoulder and around the middle she wore a golden belt that consisted of thinly shaped leaves. I could only imagine how expensive her entire ensemble was.

Would I have to wear all this when I become a goddess too?

I had no idea what to expect- but for now I was just enjoying wearing shorts again, after so long only being able to put on dresses.

"I'm sure Thanatos appreciates good stamina too." Her tone was full of mischief. 

I rolled my eyes at her; "You are utterly hilarious, my queen." She giggled, but said nothing in reply.

I put on my gloves and adjusted the straps tightly around my wrists. Persephone watched as I went a few rounds on the bag- keeping my arms tucked, my eyes on the target and my feet moving. Not before long I was dripping with sweat and my lungs were aching from the speedy and focused movement.

"What do you call Thany?"

I was taken completely off-guard by Persephone's question, and I nearly got knocked back by the heavy, swinging bag. It ducked just in time as it swished past my face.

"What do you mean?"

The goddess smirked; "Oh, come now... Anyone with two eyes can see that the both of you are smitten with each other."

"I think you have it all wrong, Pers-"

"Aurora, don't bother lying to me." I tried to focus on the bag, but her words made it feel like I was running out of air. "I've known Thanatos for a very long time and he has never treated any woman the way he treated you at the banquet. He couldn't keep his eyes off of you! Not to mention that he was buzzing around you the whole night trying to make sure you were happy and safe. That boy is head over heels for you!"

I shook my head- I couldn't be entertaining the thought of Thanatos having feeling towards me; it was just too impossible. Or was that just a thought I kept telling myself because I was too afraid of the opposite being true?

What if he did have feelings for me? Feelings that were more defined than just 'like' or 'affection'?

"I don't think Thanatos would ever like a mortal, Persephone."

"That's what's bothering you?"

I sighed as I sat down next to her and picked up my water bottle. I nearly drowned myself as my lungs burned from the rigorous work out.

"Well, it shouldn't bother you. You're going to be a goddess soon, Rora. Besides- love knows no bounds."

"Love? Can he even love?" My voice was soft as I pushed back my sweaty hair from my face.

Persephone laughed loudly; "Of course he can! He loves his brother doesn't he?"

"That's different and you know it!" I stood up with my gloves back on. I felt the frustration build up inside me and I eyed the bag with determination.

Persephone chuckled and watched as I pounded the bag with all my might. "Well, at least one thing's for certain... You definitely love him."

I round-house kicked the bag and turned to face her while the bag swung up and down; "Don't be silly."

"You never denied it- up until right now. Aurora, if anyone knows about trying not to love someone you're meant to hate- it's me."

I paused and looked down at her with wide eyes. She looked even younger now that I was so close to her.

"Yes, but you and Hades are soul mates."

"And you and Thanatos aren't?"

My mind started to wander; "I don't know..."

"Do you love him? Be honest... I'm not Alexus- you don't have to pretend to hate someone who you clearly have feelings for just to keep someone else on your side."

"Alexus is the only friend I have here."

"That's not true. You have me; you have Samaria."

"Samaria has a massive crush on Thanatos, she'll just be bitter, and you're the queen of the Underworld; it's not like I can see you every day."

Persephone sighed and nodded; "But you're forgetting about your best friend..."

I furrowed my brows in confusion as she stared up at me with a serious expression. I tried to wrack my brain to figure out who she meant, but no one came to mind.

"Thanatos, Aurora." Persephone said with a small reassuring smile; "He's the one person you trust more than anyone here, right?"

I gulped and moved my hand up to fiddle with my pendant he gave me, but I'd taken it off just in case it broke off while I boxed. The area around my neck felt barren.

"Yes..." I dropped my eyes to the floor and tried to regulate my breathing.

"And frankly, to me, soul mates aren't just lovers- they're best friends first of all. They're your other half. Have you ever felt that way with him?"

I sighed and dropped my mask; "Of course I have." My tired feet moved towards her and I slowly sat down next to the brunette. She took my hand in hers and squeezed it encouragingly.

"I think about him more every day." I whispered as I watched the bag swing timidly. "I constantly want to be with him and be close to him. I just want him to take me in his arms and tell me about his day and what he did; even though I know it's literally going to revolve around death and grief, but just the mere fact of him being able to share that with someone gives me so much joy... Oh, gods! I can't believe I let this happen!"

Persephone rubbed my back while my head lay limply in my hands. "Aurora, why are you beating yourself up for falling in love? It's a beautiful thing! You should be happy!"

"But that's just it. I- we- can't be happy. If the gods knew they'd try to tear us apart, if Alexus knew she'd be furious and if all those girls knew- fuck. I'd be so dead."

"Thanatos needs to get rid of them, and those girls you could easily burn to a crisp."

"I'm not about to kill innocent women just because they might threaten me. No, I won't stoop down to their level. Besides, you're right- it's Thanatos problem to fix, not mine. I just think he's gotten so used to having them around that it's hard for him to suddenly let that lifestyle go. Maybe he's scared the palace will be too empty and too quiet."

Persephone nodded and softly sighed; "Thanatos is probably too focused on you right now to really take note of what's going on around him. He does that- he gets obsessed over something, no matter how trivial, and then he just sort of blanks everything else out. Now that he's so fixated on you- the first love of his life- he's just pushing everything else to the side."

I ran a hand through my ponytail. There was so much Thanatos and I needed to discuss, but I couldn't bring myself to initiate it. What if he didn't love me- and I would be making a fool of myself in front of one of the most powerful gods in the universe.

Persephone's voice was hard as she spoke up; "The gods are the real issue here. Unfortunately, if I were you, I'd try to keep this a secret as well- just to ensure your safety for now, and so Thanatos can stay your guardian."

I raised my brows in agreement and shot her a knowing look; "I guess you've figured out that the virgin thing is a sham."

Persephone chuckled; "Hmm... Thanatos gave it away when he was completely devastated by the ring Hera gave you. I knew then that he'd still planned on trying to sleep with you."

I laughed nervously and tried to hide my flushed cheeks; "Yeah... That ring really screwed up some plans."

"You would then?"

I titled my head at her; "Would what?"

"Sleep with him?" Persephone asked with a wink.

I blushed and nodded my head slowly; "I don't think anyone wouldn't want to sleep with him. He's just so..." I contemplated the best word to use as I picked up my water bottle; "...alluring. And so good at everything he does."

Persephone raised a thinly trimmed eyebrow; "You two have been intimate, haven't you?"

I choked on the water and coughed it up quickly as Persephone's laugh floated through the vast empty gymnasium. I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand; my eyes trained on her glittering brown ones.

"Maybe."

"What! Why didn't you start with that, for Zeus' sake! Tell me everything!"

I laughed nervously as the young goddess tried to pull me closer to her; "Aurora! Come on! Tell me!"

"Alright, alright! Give me some time to catch my breath." I shook my head; hoping the movement would rid me of my blush. "It happened for the first time after the banquet."

"I was wondering where you two disappeared to! Wait- the first time?" Persephone squealed and rocked back and forth on the bench in excitement as she clapped her hands. I rolled my eyes playfully while trying to hide my grin.

I proceeded in telling her everything about the two of us- from the sticky, chocolate breakfast to the hot shower, and then of course about last night and this morning. By the end Persephone was fanning herself and gaping at me with wide eyes- "Good gods girl! I need to try that banana thing you did! Hades would just love it!"

I laughed and tapped my nose with my finger as she chuckled. "Thanatos certainly wasn't expecting it, but damn, was he glad I did it. He even asked me to have another one! Gods, it feels so good to have him under my control once in a while..."

"Oh, honey, I think he's under your control much more than you think."

We giggled as the sun began to set; the soft rays of orange light flickering into the large room and bathing us in a golden hue.

"So what are you two now? Together, or...?"

I shook my head slowly; "I have no idea. We both clearly have feelings for each other- I know I'm in love with him, but other than that, I don't know what we are to each other."

"Give him some time- he'll come around. He's never been in love before and these feelings may come as a huge shock to him."

"I know," I stood up and stretched my back; "I just hope that when he realises them, that he won't try to run away and ignore them."

"Not likely." Persephone said as she followed my lead and rested her hands on her hips.

"He's done it before, Persephone. He once hurt me pretty badly, and then he ran off leaving me with the pain."

"But you yourself have said he's changed. Thanatos isn't a coward. Like I said- give him some time to come to terms with these new-found feelings. He cares for you, and that's something he's always been good at- keeping the people he cares for close and safe. There aren't many, so count yourself lucky, Rora..." Persephone tucked her arms into mine and hugged my side as a playful smile played on her lips.

I chuckled and hugged her back; "Thanks for listening, I needed this."

"Anytime. I know what it feels like to be lonely in a place so big and full of mystery."

"You know I'm here for you too if you ever need to talk, right?" I squeezed her hand and she smiled broadly.

"Thank you, honey, now let's get you freshened up and back to your man!"

I picked up my bag of clothes and equipment and swung an arm around her waist; "I think Thanatos would literally spank me if he had to find me here right now."

"You should definitely tell him then!"

"Oh," I grinned naughtily; "I was planning on it."

Feel like Persephone and Aurora need to have a couple name too- Perora? Aurone? ;3

NEXT UPDATE- 9th of April, we get to see through the eyes of Mr. Hypnos himself...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 61.9K 66
(Book 3 in the #dawnseries) *COMPLETED* The time for the ascension is near... After months of tireless training, a handful of harrowing experiences a...
Hades By caitlin

Teen Fiction

3.9M 145K 32
Evie Autumn, like almost every other nineteen year old was just your average, unassuming, everyday girl. She attended university, she had that one qu...
579 53 18
This book is for all the girls who want to be an angel in the street but a hellion beneath the sheet. Prepared to be treated like a good girl, but fu...
38.6K 1.8K 86
"Jealous?" "Why would I be?" "Because I know your fantasies." He argued. I leaned closer to him, smelling his overwhelming scent. "And I'm appalled...