The Second Chance [Kongpob/Ar...

By spectral416

Arthit missed his chance to confess to Kongpob on the Rama Bridge, five years ago. Opportunity doesn't come k... More

Chapter 1 : A Missed Opportunity
Chapter 2 : Everything Begins and Ends With You
Chapter 3 : Obstacles
Chapter 4: Of Jealousy and Mishaps
Chapter 5 : Prickly Thorn, but Sweetly Worn
Chapter 6 : On a Collision Course to Nowhere
Chapter 7 : We've Only Just Begun
Chapter 9 : Sweet Summer Nights and Chilling Morning Blues
Chapter 10 : Peculiar Interrogations and Heated Arguments
Chapter 11 : Sinister Undertones of the Night
Chapter 12 : The Sun-Kissed Moon
Chapter 13 : The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows
Chapter 14 : Is It Love, Finally?
Chapter 15 : Be Still, My Bleeding Heart
Chapter 16 : Revelations
Chapter 17 : Bad News Comes to Town
Chapter 18 : A Startling Discovery
Chapter 19 : It's Dangerous Business, Walking Out Your Front Door
Chapter 20 : The Man Behind the Mask
Chapter 21 : Sins of the Son
A/N : Explanation
Chapter 22 : Aftermath
Chapter 23 : Right Here, Waiting
Chapter 24 : The Gentle Giant's Tale
Chapter 25 : The Calm Before The Storm
Chapter 26 : Lover's Tiff
Chapter 27 : The Haunting Past
Chapter 28 : Family Ties
Chapter 29 : Initiation
Chapter 30 : Innocent Until Proven Guilty
Chapter 31 : The Fragile Gift of Life
Chapter 32 : Dead on Arrival
Chapter 33 : Unfounded Accusations
Chapter 34 : Love Is A Strange, Mysterious Thing
Chapter 35 : Set The Truth Free
Chapter 36 : Jealous Lovers
Chapter 37 : Girl of Mysterious Sorrow
Chapter 38 : A Crushing Realization
Chapter 39 : Cruel Intentions
Chapter 40 : Love and Misunderstandings
Chapter 41 : Knight in Shining Armour
Chapter 42 : Towards Greener Pastures
Chapter 43 : Night Changes
A/N : Trivia and Tidbits
Special Chapter: Case of the Captain's Daughter [1]
Special Chapter: Case of the Captain's Daughter [2]
Special Chapter: Case of the Captain's Daughter [3]
Translation

Chapter 8 : Of Unrequited Crushes and Deadly Encounters

8.2K 525 175
By spectral416

Arthit had quite enjoyed the week off, getting back to work was a drudgery, but necessary. He hadn't made the cut for assistant manager and had tried to bite down his disappointment. He was in a strange mood since the morning, he felt suspicious of everyone and everything around him ever since his conversation with Kongpob.

A tap on his shoulder made him jump. His hands went around the edge of the table, steadying himself. He was faced with the bespectacled P'Gun.

"Hello, Khun Arthit. How are you now?"

"Oh, P'Gun. I'm okay, how about you? Got a clean bill of health?"

P'Gun smiled sheepishly, they both remembered how he had fainted, trapped in the elevator. 

"Y-yes. I actually came to thank you -"

"There's really no need, if anything you should be thanking  Kongpob -"

P'Gun swallowed nervously, straightening his glasses before remarking casually. 

"Ah yes, the detective - I've thanked him. I was hoping to treat you to a dinner or even a coffee as repayment -"

"Thank you, P'Gun but you really don't need -"

"Please I insist, Khun -"

Arthit could see this conversation going on endlessly. 

"Okay, okay. Here, I'll give you my number -"

P'Gun smiled triumphantly before excusing himself, leaving Arthit confused. 

***********************************************************************

Arthit felt ashamed of what he was doing. He was spying on Kongpob in the break room, surrounded by fawning ladies. They commended him on his bravery, Arthit could feel the vein on his forehead popping, as he restrained the urge to wipe off the self satisfied smile on Kongpob's face. 

"Ai'Arthit?"

"Shh."

Arthit grabbed Knott and forced him to kneel beside him, behind the copier. Knott's large frame wasn't hidden very well and he grumbled in discomfort. 

"Ai'Arthit, you're losing it -"

"Shut up, and not a word of this to Tuta or Prem, and definitely not Bright. Do you understand?"

"What are you doing exactly?"

Arthit was too busy glaring a hole at the back of Kongpob's head to respond. He whispered harshly after a while. 

"Look at this shameless bastard -"

Knott stood up, stretching his legs, not quite used to the position, especially after the hazing days. 

"I've got work to do, Ai'Arthit, and so do you for the matter -"

Arthit stood up as well, face red and mouth open to berate Knott. 

"P'Arthit? Fancy seeing you here - er - behind a copier?"

Arthit wished the ground would swallow him whole, the embarrassment rendering him speechless. Knott took pity on him. 

"Ai'Arthit's lost his pen, it rolled away under the copier."

Kongpob looked confused, he took out a pen from his pocket and put it in Arthit's shirt pocket. 

"There you go, P'"

As Kongpob walked away, Arthit watched in a daze. 

"There's no way, I'm not telling Ai'Prem at least."

"Ai'Knott!"

***********************************************************************

Arthit met P'Gun in a nearby cafe after work. P'Gun was waiting for him in a corner booth at the end, he stuffed his documents in his briefcase and hurriedly stood up to greet Arthit. 

"Khun Arthit -"

"You can just call me Arthit, P'Gun."

"A-Arthit, I'm glad you could make it, please have a seat."

Arthit watched as P'Gun fumbled through conversation the entire evening. He found his nervous ticks to be quite endearing. In spite of being out of the office, P'Gun had not even loosened his tie, sitting primly opposite Arthit. 

"So, what made you want to join this company, P'Gun?"

P'Gun took a gulp of water, almost spilling some down his shirt. 

"I was recruited straight after university and we needed the money, so -"

Another bout of silence shrouded them. Arthit rubbed his shoulder self consciously under P'Gun's scrutiny.

"Are you seeing someone, Arthit?"

Arthit choked on his drink, P'Gun had to thump him on the back to ease his discomfort. 

"Huh?"

"I'm sorry to be so forward, Arthit. The truth is, I've crushed on you for quite some time -"

Arthit wondered how he had never noticed P'Gun if he what he claimed was true. In fact, he hadn't known his name, even a week ago. 

"I know, this must come as a surprise to you. You don't have to say anything, forget I said anything -"

"Hold on, P'Gun."

Arthit's head hurt from the rapid influx of information it was receiving. He kneaded his temples with his fingers, trying to ease the ache.

 "I'm sorry, P'Gun. I don't think it's a good idea. We barely know each other."

"I know, Arthit. But we could get to know each other, if you're willing to give it a shot?"

"Um, I don't know, P'Gun -"

"You don't have to answer right away. Please, take your time."

Arthit wasn't ever one to mince his words, he didn't think it was fair to let P'Gun hope.

"P'Gun, let me be frank. If you're asking me out now, the answer would definitely be a no. But, we could be friends, if you're open to it?"

"S-sure."

P'Gun smiled uneasily, Arthit wished their meeting would come to an end.

***********************************************************************

In his haste to leave, P'Gun had forgotten his briefcase in the coffee shop. Arthit swayed it in his hands as he walked past a parking lot towards the bus stop. It had been a strange day. His thoughts, as they often did these days settled on Kongpob and the mystery surrounding his sudden reappearance into his life. 

He felt confused by his feelings for Kongpob. Years ago on that bridge, he had known without a doubt that he had loved him. But, Arthit didn't trust himself around this Kongpob, who was incredibly brave and dashing, just like before but who also had this air of secrecy around him. 

Arthit jumped out of his skin when he heard a gun shot from a distance, it narrowly missed him. He quickly took shelter behind a black Fiat, his heart was thumping loudly, he put a hand around his mouth hoping his accelerated breathing wouldn't give him away. 

"Come out boy, I know you're here somewhere."

Arthit ran as fast as his legs could take him, he heard footsteps behind him as he rushed past the parked vehicles. He took out his phone.

"Kongpob, there's a man with a gun chasing me - you have to help me -"

"Slow down, P'Arthit. Where are you right now?"

***********************************************************************

Arthit had managed to hide behind the electrical unit, the jumble of wires hiding him satisfactorily. He could still hear the assailant looking for him, he heard him call for back up over the phone. A cold dread ran up Arthit's spine. He couldn't believe he was in this position again in a space of a week. 

He could hear raised voices, followed by the distinct sound of a gun going off. He peeked from his hiding spot. Kongpob was wrestling the gun away from the man's hand. Arthit noticed a patch of blood on the floor in front of them. His heart jumped to his throat. 

Kongpob knocked the man out cold with the back of his gun, before putting the cuffs on him. He placed his own gun in its holster on his belt. He called up his colleague for back up. 

"P'Arthit! P'! Where are you?"

Arthit's knees felt weak as he came out from behind the unit. He was in shock, Kongpob's arms were steadying him in an instant. He felt Kongpob rub his arms up and down, taking off his jacket and wrapping it around Arthit's shoulders. 

"You're going to be fine, P'Arthit. Come on."

 Kongpob took the briefcase out of his cold hands, putting an arm around Arthit guiding him gently. They waited for Kongpob's colleague to take the man away. Arthit was quiet the whole way, on the walk to the bus stop, on the bus and up the stairs, outside his apartment. 

"P'Arthit, give me your key."

Arthit shook his head, he held on to Kongpob's shirt. 

"Stay with me, Kong."

Kongpob's eyes softened, he put a hand on Arthit's cheek. 

"I'm right here."

*******************************************************************

A/N : Sorry for the slow updates on this one. 

More clues come your way in this chapter x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

277K 13.5K 40
It started with a fake dating, then why are they both determined to chase their happiness now? - Characters belong to Bittersweet, only the plot is m...
42.3K 2.4K 9
AN: This is going to be a short story, mainly being written to get me out of stalemate that I have fallen into. Please do not expect too much and I...
46.3K 3.1K 13
Arthit always finds himself in the most unexpected situations. Arthit is waiting to join University after a few months so he started working part tim...
45.5K 2.9K 10
The 7 times Arthit attempted to confess his love to Kongpob but failed. Based loosely on the 7 deadly sins but it's actually just Arthit being cute a...