The Light of Elysium

By MayaR-31

Book 1 (complete) - Veterinary student Elle wants to travel, but she doesn't plan on getting pulled into a ma... More

Author's note
Prologue
1 - Dreams
2 - The Journey Begins
3 - Not in Kansas anymore
4 - Kingdom under the Mountains
5 - No way home
6 - A New Partnership
7 - A dark encounter
8 - Did someone yell for a hero
9 - Down by the lake
10 - Dance of the sun and the moon
11 - The Rainbow Isles
12 - Queen's Conquest
13 - Lammas Festival
14 - Lord of the Emerald Isle
15 - Ill met by Moonlight
16 - Agape
17 - Amongst the trees
18 - Equinox
19 - Capture
20 - Lord Nero
21 - Glimmer in the dark
22 - My sweet
#31CreepyWords
23 - Leap of Faith
24 - Flight
25 - White Water
26 - Fearful symmetry
27 - Company of wolves
28 - Falling
29 - Arcadia
30 - A new dawn
31 - Mr Sullen, Mr Mischief & Mr Silent
32 - Green does not become you
33 - Battlelines
35 - The wild hunt
36 - Temptation
37 - Whiplash
38 - The Chase
39 - The white knight
40 - Mid-Winter Ball
41 - Promises
42 - The Prophecy
43 - The element of air
44 - Home is where the heart is
45 - Destiny calling
46 - Icarus
47 - Journey by night
48 - A face from the past
49 - Aldebaran
50 - Trial of the White Queen
51 - Sleep, perchance to dream
52 - Lair of the Dark King
53 - Dark dreams
54 - Dark games
55 - Winter's embrace
56 - The Ice Queen and the King of Sin
57 - Politics
58 - A truth uncovered
59 - Back from the edge
60 - Muse
61 - Quandary
62 - Night under the stars
63 - Bound in blood
64 - A rolling stone
65 - Waiting for a hero
66 - Pride and Prejudice
67 - Sensibility
68 - Bedouin Night
69 - Flashpoint
70 - Reunion
71 - Denial
72 - Dreams
73 - A fire kindled
74 - Touched by a Goddess
75 - Ostara
76 - The fire within
77 - Options
78 - An inescapable fate
79 - Point of no return
80 - Bereft
81 - Journey's end
Characters/Cast List
The Queen of Elysium - sneak peek

34 - Storm

6.9K 535 107
By MayaR-31

(Aren's PoV)

I enter my parent's chambers to find them both seated, wearing serious expressions.

Father steeples his fingers. "The reports from Gawain are most troubling. I will hear from all sides before making any judgements. We are most aggrieved by accounts of your dangerous outburst."

My anger flares and without thinking I protest, "I was protecting my female." I berate the tiger, Really not helping here!

Father raises an eyebrow but does not pass comment.

Mother looks momentarily taken aback. "Aren, you realise that you will have to wait until Elissa is of age before you can..."

"I will be honourable, mother," I quickly interrupt, embarrassed at having this conversation with her. Placing my hand over my heart, I swear, "You have my word."

The conversation then turns to Drake and Belinda. It wounds me that my greatest friend after Leo, could deign to consider harming my beloved. Although Elissa immediately forgave Drake, I am not so sure I can put it behind me so easily.

Certainly, I will not be quick to forgive Belinda for hurting my favourite little cousin. Personally, I have never really considered Belinda attractive. When we were eight solars old she decided that we should get married. At the time I ran off and really have not stopped running since.

Mother wrings her hands. "I feel I have let my niece down."

Father takes her hand in his and rubs his thumb in soothing patterns. "Thanks be to Elissa that we can resolve this unpleasantness. Now my darling, allow me time with our son. I shall not be long. Go and await me in our bedchamber." His voice holds an edge of promise.

Mother blushes and I mentally shudder.

As soon as they are alone, he quips, "So, your female?"

I squirm. "That was the tiger. I have it under control."

He puts a fatherly arm around me. "When an Animage reaches manhood there is no distinction between our forms and we are one. Until then our heads can be a little crowded. I remember when I first met your mother. My bear insisted on the attraction, whereas I was wayward and more interested in light flirtations. It took me some time to realise that Ulrica was the one for me and even longer to convince her. You at least have an accord."

"Then I have your blessing to officially court Elissa?"

He grins. "Most definitely, she suits you well, my son. Your mother will no doubt insist on chaperones."

At my groan, his blue eyes twinkle. "I will continue to turn a blind eye to your night-time trysts so long as they remain innocent."

I blanch, for I did not realise that he was aware of me flying up to Elissa's balcony each night. Does anything get past him?

...............

Father was correct. Since declaring my intent to court Elissa, we are accompanied every damned where. Like right now, we have been out riding with my brother.

Once inside the stable, I jump down and help Elissa dismount. I keep an eagle eye on Smoke though. One could be forgiven for thinking him a changed animal, but the blasted horse still has a tendency to kick and bite.

"I am going to walk back, very slowly." Leo gives me a wink. "Do not dally too long. I do not care for the look of those clouds."

Bless my brother! I seize upon the opportunity and usher Elissa up the ladder into the hay loft.

A large handful of hay hits me square in the face. My eyes narrow on Elissa's smirking face as she states, "You look too serious."

"You minx!" I throw a handful back.

Sweet scented hay rains about us and a chase ensues. I swear that my intentions had been innocent, I merely wanted time alone with her. However, when I catch Elissa and pin her beneath me, I cannot help notice her flushed expression and the way her pale hair fans out.

I need to feel skin on skin now, the tiger groans.

The eagle eyes the bales. I can make a nest.

Elissa should be laid upon a bed of silk, I counter.

No. She should be worshiped amongst nature, the tiger insists.

The lines within me blurring, I find it impossible to stop my hands from exploring. As I feather kisses across her jaw to the pulse point in her neck, she makes the cutest mewing sound.

Supporting my weight with my forearms, I push up and look down at her. "Kitten."

"Your eyes!" she gasps. "They are hazel not blue."

Giving a wolfish grin, I respond, only half joking, "That is because you bring out the animal in me."

She laughs. "Does that mean you really do bite?"

Playfully nipping at her earlobe, I growl, "Yes, my love."

An earth-shattering boom crashes right above our heads, sounding as if the sky has fallen in. Ears ringing in the silence that follows, I scramble to my feet, my heart pounding and help Elissa up.

A section of the ceiling caves in and gaunt finger-like branches reach through the gaping hole. Tile after tile slide down and fill the air with choking dust. The platform shudders beneath our feet, groaning ominously under the weight before tilting violently.

I jump down and hold out my arms to Elissa. For a moment she just stands there, her face pale and drawn, then to my utter relief, she jumps. I catch her and leap to one side, narrowly avoiding us being crushed as the mezzanine crashes down onto the spot where we just stood.

Slowly the sound and chaos around us settles. Elissa loosens her death grip on my shirt and points to the huge pile of debris against the stable doors.

"We are trapped!"

I stroke her arm reassuringly and nod at the gaping hole in the roof. "I can fly and get help."

Sounds of distress from the horses postpone any thoughts of raising the alarm and our priority shifts to tending to the frightened animals.

One of the horses is more restless than the others, pacing and pawing at the ground. My face falls, for it is one of mother's favourite mares and she is expecting her first foal. Elissa holds out a hand and speaking softly, tries to sooth the skittish mare. She really has a wonderful touch with animals.

Concern is etched on Elissa's face. "I think that the shock has brought her into premature labour."

Raking a hand through my hair, I fret, "What do we do?"

"We wait. Let nature take its course. If need be, I will step in."

"You?"

"Aren, don't forget that before I came here I was training to be a vet. Admittedly I only know the theory."

Together we sit on a hay bale, while outside it sounds as if the trees have come alive and are at war. The frigid air blowing in through the roof causes Elissa to shiver and I pull her against me.

A sound of distress from the mare calls her back to the stall where the horse is lying on its side, with beads of sweat on its flanks. Indicating for me to stay back, she rolls up her sleeves and enters.

I am helpless, left to watch as she works diligently for at least an hour, maybe two. All the time, she maintains a calm, soothing voice, even though at times her eyes show anxiety.

Finally, a small dark body slips out, but does not move. Elissa's shoulders sag, she must be exhausted, yet I see her visibly rally. She removes the sac from the foal and rubs its body with hay trying to stimulate it. However, the small forlorn form just lies there motionless.

"I have failed," Elissa sobs and backs out of the stall.

I hold her tight, while her bloodied hands hang limply by her side. "Elissa, you did what you could. Without your help both would have died."

She seems inconsolable. I brush the sweaty hair away from her brow and implore, "Tell me what can I do?"

She swallows and once more rallies. "The wind seems to have eased. Can you fly and get help? The mare will need someone with skills more than mine."

I am torn. "I do not want to leave you."

"I will be ok. Please, Aren."

I hesitate but do as she bids me and transform into an eagle. My wings send up a cyclone of dust as I power my way out.

.....

With the fallen tree still blocking the entrance, I swoop through the stable's damaged roof, dread sitting leaden in the pit of my stomach. It destroyed me to abandon her. Mother and the healer land beside me, but I ignore their presence seeking only my beloved.

I find her sat on the floor, leant against a hay bale, her eyes closed.

Crouching down, I touch her shoulder. "My love, we came as quickly as we could."

She blinks sleepily and smiles happily at me.

As I am helping her to her feet, mother rushes over and flings her arms around Elissa, mindless of the blood and guck clinging to her dress.

"Thank you. You are a wonder. I owe you so much."

Tears are streaming down mother's face, yet she appears overjoyed, not distraught.

Confused, I walk over to the stall and look in, uncertain what I will find. I am amazed to be greeted by the sight of a dark grey foal suckling from its mother.

"I do not understand. The foal was dead."

The healer, her crimson dress signifying her as a disciple from the crystal temple, bows her head to me. "My prince, it is by the grace of the Mother that the power of healing is exceptionally strong within lady Elissa."

Pride swells within me. My female is exceptional.

I look back at Elissa and I am sure that my admiration is shining on my face.

Mother takes Elissa's hand. "It would please me greatly if you would name the foal."

Elissa touches her hand to her chest. "I am honoured. Given the reason for his early appearance, I would like to call him Storm."

...............

AN - Icarus by Stereo Honey.
Well that roll in the hay was a bit eventful!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

218K 12.4K 32
In the supernatural world there are just three rules you must never break - never be different - never be weak - and never ever be a threat I...
126K 6K 27
The day that changed my life was the day I ran from it all and made the hardest decision of my life. But I had too, I never got to chose as I was cho...
3M 240K 60
After fulfilling an Unbreakable Promise, Claire finally accepts her new life in Dragonwall. She has discovered a new purpose--one she created for her...
307 20 24
When Phoebe is woken up by James, the boy she's been crushing on since she can remember, she's surprised to find him in a panic. His sister Kara is m...