I Do What I Want (Drarry)

By XxTheDarkLordxX

They say you shouldn't touch what isn't yours... Too bad no one told Harry that. A simple mistake that Harry... More

Prologue
Say What??
Understood
Horcruxes
My Own Personal Savior
Snape's Memories
I Do What I Want
The Row
Letters
The Noble House of Black and The Connection That Changed Everything
Pansy and Blaise
Weasels and Disguises
Lawyer Malfoy
The Letter
Lawyer Potter
The Freedom of Draco Malfoy
Malfoy Manor and Explanations
Missing Pieces of History
Confrontations and... Raspberries?
Completing the Bond and The Terrors of The Night
Consequences
Remus Lupin
Sorcerer's Stone
Dark Resonates With Dark
Forever With You
Presents and Surprises
Shell Cottage
Malfoy and Malfoy
The Ache of Longing
Alive
Dormant Darkness
Secondhand Sorrow
Godfathers
Roleplaying?
Another Life
The Burrow
Mistakes
Partners?
Magical Creatures and Mudbloods
Children and Confessions
Hate and Love
The Last Supper
Seriously Sirius
The Inner-workings of Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes
The Last Sacrifice
Who the Hell is Noah
Explanations
Uneasy
Making Plans
Petitioning the Ministry
The Power of Love??
Dragon Reservation
Think Tank
Missing Memory
Emotions in Abundance
Dementors and Hallows
Finally
Enlightenment
Goblin Etiquette
The Agreement
Forgiveness
Silent Communication
Black Room
Emotional Torture
Athena
Sentient Darkness
To Be Taken Over
Broken Bones
Liquid Death and Bottled Fear
St. Mungo's and Their Awful Staff
First Contact
Plan Plus One
The Voyage
Florida and Lactera
Near Death Experiences and Conspiracy Theories
Merrows and Mourning
I Don't Believe It
Sephtis and Sphinxes
Buttons and Veela
Questions and Answers
Shaytan
The Calm Before the Storm
Temptation of the Worst Kind
Darkness and the Love that Ends it All
Denial is Dangerous
White Light
Alive
Changed Plans
In Perpetuum Simul
It is Just the Beginning

Facing Severus Snape and Lucius Malfoy

12.6K 396 1.6K
By XxTheDarkLordxX

             Too soon for both Harry and Draco's liking it was time to leave. They promised each other they would write as soon as they were able. Harry bade them all a safe trip and gave Draco a kiss on his cheek before hurrying away slightly embarrassed. Draco apparated home with a smile on his face rubbing the spot that Harry kissed, completely forgetting about Blaise and Pansy, leaving them staring at the spot Draco apparated from with amused eyes. He didn't even notice that he had made his way inside. Nor did he notice when he made his way into the dining room. He certainly didn't even realize his parents were talking to him. His mind was filled with thoughts of Harry and how adorable he looked right after he kissed him on the cheek. He subconsciously rubbed his cheek again with a big smile. His smile grew when he thought about sending him a letter. He was worried that it was too soon. He had just left him minutes ago. Draco sighed happily. He should probably worry about how quickly he was falling for Harry. But he couldn't bring himself to care. Life was too short. And he was tired of not get what he wanted. So who cares if it was too soon.

            "-raco. Draco! DRACO!" Draco startled and jumped slightly looking around the room with wide eyes when he realized his parents and his godfather were staring at him like he had lost his mind. He flushed all over and tried to look away. "Erm what was that mother?" He asked quietly. Severus and his father snorted.

            "Where was your head at? I have been trying to get your attention for a couple minutes now." His mother asked curiously. Narcissa had never seen her son act like that before. Nor had she ever seen him smile so warmly. Not that he smiled often at all. If possible, he went even redder. "It is nothing." He coughed trying to clear the embarrassment. Severus snorted. Draco looked sharply at him.

            "I believe young Draco is in love." Severus said with a sneer. His mother raised her eyebrows. Draco groaned and covered his face in his hands. His father chuckled at his son's embarrassment. He was actually enjoying this. With the Dark Lord gone he had hoped his son would snap out of the funk he had been in for so long. Lucius knew he needed to be supportive of his son, something that he had not been his whole life, if he was going to restore the family name. He felt a tiny pang of guilt at knowing that he had made many piss poor decisions that unfortunately effected his son. Only a tiny pang though, it was the job of the heir to bide his sires wishes after all.

            "Well whoever she is I am sure she is lovely." Lucius said quietly. He was expecting some kind of recognition that he was trying but it was the wrong thing to say apparently as Draco lifted his head and glared at him. He was so surprised at the glare he was rendered speechless. Never has his son glared at him. Not even when he brought him to the Dark Lord did he glare. He couldn't possibly fathom what was wrong with his statement. Lucius thought he had been rather nice.

            Narcissa also could not understand what riled her son so much. She was actually quite proud that her husband was being considerate. Severus furrowed his brows for a moment lost in thought. His eyes widened and he subconsciously let out an "Oh." Of understanding. Draco's eyes also widened. He shot his parents a look of panic. He had no idea how they would react to finding out he was gay. Severus saw the panic and smirked in amusement. Ohh this would be fun. He hadn't had any entertainment in such a long time.

            Narcissa and Lucius shared a confused look before turning to their son. Draco shook his head. No this is not the time. He wanted to tell them after he was already in a relationship with Harry and therefore they couldn't attempt to sink their claws into him further. Draco didn't want any of their negative opinions to affect him. He thought about Harry and what Harry would say to him if he was here. He thought of the phrase Harry made him say. "I do what I want." He whispered quietly to himself. Everyone in the room shared a look. They heard what he said but had no idea what it meant.

            He squared his shoulders, took a deep breath and stared at his parents with determination. Lucius arched an eyebrow. He was impressed with his son. This was a side of him he had not seen before. "Father I appreciate your statement but I am not interested in a woman. I am interested in a man." Both his parent's jaws dropped. If the situation had been different Draco would have laughed at their expressions. It was so unlike them. Severus didn't even bother hiding his glee. He had to restrain from laughing outright.

            Lucius was gobsmacked. His son was gay? He was mad that he never knew or even saw it coming. Was this a new development? He was not sure on where to take this. He was not against homosexuals, he just never thought his son would be one. He thought over his emotions. Did he care if son was gay? Kind of. He was worried about an heir. The Malfoy line could not die out. But if he was going to have a spot in his son's life he would need to be accepting of him. They could come up with alternatives for children later. Because there would be children regardless of what his son's preferences were. He sighed.

            Draco braced himself for the worst. He could take it. He would take on the world for Harry. That included the wrath of his father. "Well then whoever he is I am sure he is just as lovely." Lucius bit out a little uncomfortably. Narcissa looked at her husband in awe. She was so proud of him. Draco was stunned. He felt confunded. He couldn't believe it. His dad approved? He was so happy he wanted to jump for joy. So he did. He bounced up and down and threw himself at his father and hugged him tightly. Lucius stiffened at the hug. He hadn't received a hug from his son since he was three. He awkwardly pat the back of his shoulder hoping the contact would end soon.

            "Oh thank you father. I was so worried you wouldn't approve. But it didn't matter to me if you did. Nothing was going to stop this. Not even Voldemort himself would have stopped me." Everyone in the room gasped slightly at his use of the Dark Lords name. Draco didn't notice he was too excited. He stepped away with a big grin on his face.

            "So who is the lucky guy?" His mother asked still recovering from her son mention his name. The grin vanished off his face and he looked down at his feet. Everyone shared a worried look. Draco did NOT want to tell them it was Harry. His dad may approve of this but there was no way that he would be okay with Harry Potter. He was worried.

            "Erm that doesn't matter. I will tell you his name later." His parents shared another look. Who could have Draco so worried? Severus's mind was reeling. Who could possibly have caught Draco's attention that he would be so worried about telling his parents?

            "Okay I can see that it's bothering you. We will let you tell us in your own time." His mother said softly. Draco shot her a look of relief. "How long have you liked him?" She asked trying to keep the conversation light. He appreciated her efforts. He sat back down and smiled warmly. "Oh ages. I do mean ages. Since I was eleven. But it was really just more of admiration at first. But we aren't exactly together... yet." Severus's eyebrow arched. Since he was eleven? He couldn't remember Draco ever showing interest in anyone unless it was to bully Potter. His eyes widened. No way. It couldn't be. Gods anyone but him.

            "What do you mean yet?" Lucius asked raising an eyebrow. Draco gave a small smile. "Well he has been through a lot in his life and the war left him... a little broken. I don't want to rush into anything so I am going to be there for him as his friend until I think he is ready for anything more." Narcissa let out cooing noises. Lucius and Draco looked at her a little shocked and slightly disgusted.

            "That is the sweetest thing I have ever heard. Oh I am so proud of you Draco." She said rushing forward and giving him a hug. Draco was unsure of what to think. This was the first time in years his mother hugged him. Neither of his parents were the maternal sort. What was there end game? Why the show of care? What were they after? Draco knew they didn't care about his happiness so why act like they were a family?

            Lucius smiled at the sight. He hadn't felt this close to his family in years. "Does he like you?" Narcissa asked. Draco smiled widely. "Yes. We haven't talked about it but I think so. Pansy and Blaise said it was obvious. We talked last night for hours and hours. Well into the morning. It was... nice. We worked over some issues that we had and he told me his whole life story. I learned so much about him. Every word he spoke I fell more and more for him." Draco sighed lovingly. He should probably care how much of a sap he was turning into but he didn't care. If it continued, he would probably wonder if he was turning into a Hufflepuff. Part of him was worried about how much he was telling his parents. First rule of being a Slytherin: Words can be used against you. When in doubt, silence is your friend. Draco knew his father was cataloging everything he said.

             Lucius smirked. His son had it bad, he just hoped that the boy returned his feelings. The last thing they needed was for the boy to take it bad and this to get out to the papers. They couldn't afford any negative attention, not with the trial just around the corner. Severus paled a little at Draco's explanation. God no, let the fates be on his side. Just this once. Please.

            "Draco, is he a Slytherin?" Draco winced. Damn his godfather was too smart for his own good. "Erm no." He refused to look at him. Instead he looked at his father who was currently looking at Severus with an eyebrow raised. "It wouldn't happen to be a Gryffindor would it?" Draco winced again. He chanced a look at his face and saw recognition on his face. Well shite. No way out of it now.

            "You have got to be kidding me Draco!" Severus said exasperated. "Really you could do so much b-" His rant was cut off by a window shattering. Draco stood up angrily. Everyone was stunned. "Don't. Don't you dare insult him! You have no idea what he has been through!" Severus scoffed. "No! You don't! I know everything Severus. He told me everything." Severus paled slightly. Everything? His parents shared 'what the fuck' looks with each other. Draco looked at the curiosity in his mother's eyes and the calculating look in his fathers. He couldn't talk freely in front of them. Draco closed his eyes and hoped this works. He raised his hand and thought of several privacy spells, not only that but he also just willed his magic to allow the illusion of privacy so that his parents couldn't hear what he was about to say.

            "And I for one am astounded at your behavior." Severus raised his eyebrows. That was not what he expected. "You look at him and see your past. News flash he is not his father! He is the most caring, loveable and sweetest person I have ever met. You have no idea what kind of life he has lived. What kind of abuse he lived through at home." Severus paled. Abuse? "Despite that he treats everyone with respect." Severus scoffed again. Draco glared. "Everyone that treats him with respect that is. You never once gave him a shot. You have clung to the past so strongly you couldn't even see a boy so starved for attention. You couldn't see a boy who wanted to please everyone. He has lived his whole bloody life being used as a fucking weapon. He didn't get a choice in the matter. He didn't get to say no. He was so alone for so long. If you want to hate him then hate him for something he has actually done to you. Do not hate him because you are too cowardly to see past your own hate for his father. Because once again he is not his dad. He has done absolutely nothing to you. You have treated him like shite for no reason. You need to grow up! You were supposed to be the adult and instead you acted more of a child then he ever did! You assumed you knew him without even bothering to try. And you know what the worst thing about it is. Part of him thinks he deserves it." Severus winced. This is not how he intended the conversation to turn out. 

            "He blames himself for everything. Even their deaths." Severus gaped. How could he blame himself for that? He was a baby. "I tried to make him see reason but years of thinking that won't go away overnight. Years of verbal abuse don't go away overnight. Years of self-loathing don't go away overnight. He said he admired you. Can you believe it? You treat him like dirt on the bottom of your trainers and he admires you. He was bitter with his mother for never forgiving you." Severus closed his eyes tightly. Gods his heart felt like it was breaking. "He said if it had been him he would have forgiven you. He couldn't understand why she wouldn't. He sees the world in different colors then anyone I have ever met. He even said his dad was a prat. He wished he could change things. He said you are the bravest person he has ever met." Shame coursed through Severus. He wanted Draco to shut up. He didn't want to hear any of this. He wanted to crawl back into his hole of ignorance and pretend like this conversation hadn't happened. He wanted to go back to a world where things made sense and he wasn't actually feeling guilty over his treatment of Potter of all people.

            "For you to watch over him regardless of how much you hate him. He said that no one had ever been there like that for him before. He had no one Severus. No one. Can you imagine that? Despite the way you treated him he was in awe that you did." Severus put his head into his hands. He felt like the biggest arsehole in history. Draco was right. He couldn't look past his own anger and bitterness to see Potter for who he was. He was just a boy. He was a grown man and yet he was the one who acted so childishly.

            "It kills me that you put him through all that. What kills me more is that I know he would forgive you." Severus snapped his head up in shock. Draco paused pleased to see the pain in his eyes. Good. That meant some of what he is saying was getting through to him.

            Draco nodded. "Yes. I know he would. He has a heart of gold. But he is hurting Severus. He was so broken. He said he wished he had died that night. Both as a baby and during the war." Draco let out a sob. Severus's eyes went wide in horror. "He was in a bad frame of mind last night. He said that if I hadn't come along that night to talk to him that he would have faded away. He implied that he would have killed himself." Severus paled. Potter always seemed so strong. So full of himself. So confident. This made him feel so much guiltier.

            "He thinks that what is left of him after the war is... the item..." Draco said vaguely shooting him a meaningful look. Severus's brows furrowed trying to understand what Draco was trying to say. Draco sighed. "The seventh." Severus gasped with wide eyes. Draco nodded sadly. He knew he needed to give some details of their conversation or Severus would never understand. He knew his godfather would never tell a soul of the things he was revealing. "He... he has been through more horrors then I can imagine. And he did a lot of it alone. Can you imagine it? Would you ever want to be in his place? I sure wouldn't. I would have died long ago if it had been reversed. He just wants to be seen for who he is. After everything he has been through I think he deserves that. Just... give him a shot. Please. You owe it to him. Not for me. Not because I fancy him. But you need to do this for him. Please." Draco begged.           

            Severus nodded weakly. He was so ashamed of the way he has acted all this time. He needed to talk to Potter and let him know how sorry he was. He was not looking forward to that at all. Apologies are not his thing. Draco said he would forgive him but he didn't deserve any forgiveness nor did he want it. Part of him wished he hadn't come to the manor. But a bigger part knew he needed to have been put in his place.

            Draco let out a whoop of victory. "Oh thank you Severus. Thank you so much. You don't know how much this means to me." Severus smiled weakly. "You really care for him don't you?" Draco's face softened, his eyes brightened and a small sweet smile graced his lips. "Oh yes I do."  Draco released the privacy wards with a sigh. Most of them were gone but the main one held. His parents hadn't heard what he said.

            Lucius and Narcissa had been thoroughly shocked through Draco's angry rant. They had never seen him so angry. Specially at Severus. He was not someone people ever yelled at. Despite not being able to hear what was being said, they could clearly see the anger in Draco's eyes and the shame in Severus's. Lucius was dumbfounded that he hadn't been able to expel all of the silencing charms. There had been some basic ones and even some darker ones that he had taught his son but there was one that he couldn't figure out. It had been put up with a spell he had never seen before. It was different, almost like it had a will of it's own. Which confused him. Where could he have learned a spell like that?

            Narcissa had a strong suspicion on who her son's love interest could be. Her son said he fancied him since he was eleven. He was not in Slytherin and was in Gryffindor. He had a hard life and was hated by Severus. The options of people that could be were pretty slim. She sent Lucius a look but she could tell he was lost. She smirked at the fact that she figured it out before he did. But the smirk faded when she let the implications of who it was sink in. They would have to tread carefully if he was to be involved.

            "So opposites really do attract." Narcissa said smirking at everyone's surprise. Draco was impressed he figured his father would have figured it out first. "You... don't mind?" Draco asked wringing his shirt in his hands worriedly. Lucius saw this and frowned. He was frustrated at how scared his son was and he was also upset that his wife seemed to know who it was before him.

            "Oh I don't mind. I actually think it is a brilliant match. I should have seen it sooner. You constantly complained about him. I was beginning to think you had an obsession." Severus snorted. Draco blushed while Lucius tilted his head trying to think. The only person he ever heard Draco complain about was Potter. His eyes widened when everything clicked. "No way." He whispered. He couldn't believe it. Potter? Harry bloody Potter. Gods his son sure knew how to pick them.

            Draco shot his father a worried look. Had he figured it out already? He tried to control his facial features but his panic was making it obvious on his face. "Potter?" His father asked weakly. Draco closed his eyes briefly and nodded firmly. No point in lying. He opened his eyes to see a shocked look on his father's face. He tried looking to see if there was any hate or disgust but he couldn't see any indications. Just the blank mask his father always wore.

            Lucius could see the distress all over his son's face. He knew he would need to think carefully about how he worded his thoughts or he was going to lose his son and any chance of restoring their name. And with everything going on with the Malfoy name he needed his son's support. The only way for the Malfoy name to get out of the mud was for Draco to make something of himself. His son liking Potter was such a shock. The boy who had caused him so much pain these past couple years was his son's love interest. Karma really was a bitch. He sighed loudly. "I suppose you could have done worse." He finally replied. Severus and Narcissa shared a stunned look. Never did they ever think that Lucius would be okay with his son fancying Harry Potter.

            Hope sprang to Draco's eyes. He wasn't insulted by the back handed compliment. He knew if his father had meant what he said it would have been with malice. "Do you mean it?" He asked quietly wringing his hands once again. Lucius could see the hope in his eyes and he smiled slightly, good he could work with this. "Yes. I won't have you pining away after him though, so make sure you tell him how you feel soon." Lucius advised strongly. He meant it too. He may be okay with all of this but he was not about to see his son moping around wondering if Potter loved him back. That was not something he wanted to see. He would be damned to see his son acting like a crushed lovesick school girl.

            Draco nodded furiously. "Yes father." He said with excitement laced through his voice. Draco wasn't an idiot. He knew his father had an ulterior motive. Maybe his father was going to try to use this as a way to get pride back to the family name. Whatever his father's plans were, Draco was determined they would fail. No one used Harry like that and would get away with it. Before Lucius could respond an owl flew straight through the broken window. The owl dropped a letter straight on Draco's head. He scowled at the owl as the room broke out in laughter. He looked to where the owl had flown in and with a twinge of embarrassment remembered he had been the one to break the window. Draco raised a hand and the glass repaired itself.

            The room was stunned. "When did you learn wandless magic?" Severus asked curiously. Draco looked up just as stunned as they were. He hadn't even realized he had done it. "I-I am not sure. I was just copying what Harry did this morning." During the heat of the argument with Severus he hadn't realized he was using wandless then too. He said a little distractedly. Severus arched an eyebrow. "Potter was performing wandless magic?" He asked as Draco nodded.

            "Yes. I was in the Great Hall with Pansy and Blaise when Harry and Weasley came in yelling at each other." Severus's eyes widened. Trouble in the golden trio. That was surprising. "Weasley said that Harry's brain must have been addled by the fight with Voldemort if Harry was willing to be my friend." Lucius and Severus let out a growl, neither one ever caring much for the redhead. Narcissa gasped in outrage. How dare the red menace insult Draco.  

            "What did Potter say?" Lucius asked suspiciously. Draco smiled softly. "Well as soon Weasel said that every single window in the Great Hall busted." Lucius's eyes widened comically. "Harry told Weasley that he didn't know what he was talking about. He defended me. He told Weasley that he could either get over his hatred of me or he could get out of his life." Severus's eyes widened dramatically. That was most... unexpected. Narcissa and Lucius warmed up to the idea of their son being romantically involved with Potter.

            "Harry warned him not to insult me and he unwisely did not listen. He started in on me again and Harry punched him so hard in the face there was bone breaking. It was a sickening sound." All eyebrows raised. "He told Granger to get him out of there and he told her that he didn't care if Weasley ever came around to the idea. He was so angry. But it is to be expected. After everything they have been through you would think he would have been there for him. At least that is what Harry said." Lucius and Narcissa shared a look. If Potter really cared about their son then they could use that to their advantage.  

            "After Weasley was taken away Harry raised his hand like I did and all the windows were repaired at once. It was quite a sight to see." Lucius's eyes bugged at that. To do all that without a wand? Impressive indeed. Before anyone could say anything, the owl gave an impatient hoot. Draco chuckled at the owl and picked up the letter.

Dear Draco. My personal savior,

            I told you I was going to bombard you with letters. I was not kidding. I feel rather embarrassed about sending the letter so quickly. It can't have been more than a half hour since you departed. As strange as it sounds I already miss your company. I have finally packed all of my things. I will be spending time at Grimwald place if you would like to stop by. Any time. I have started working on a project. No I won't tell you what it is. It is a surprise. Don't scowl. I know you like to get your way. Not this time.

            It is so lonely here. So quiet. I walk through the halls and I am reminded of Sirius so strongly. It makes me wish for comfort. Maybe I need a cat. Oh Merlin I am going to turn into one of those crazy cat ladies. I can already picture your confusion. You are probably turning your head slightly wondering what I am talking about. It is a muggle expression. They call women that when they can't find love and have no one to talk to. So the women get a bunch of cats and live out their lives talking to the cats and pretending they can talk back. Not that I am a woman. But same theory I suppose. Awkward.

            I hope you are having fun or at least enjoying yourself. I know what you are thinking. I can already see you rolling your eyes. What could you be enjoying when we only just saw each other. I saw Ron on my way out. I don't think he saw me though. Which is a good thing, I am still angry. Madam Promfrey fixed him up well enough but that only made me want to go over and mess up his face again. Fucking prat. I should be sad about it all but I am just too angry to care at the moment. I am actually enjoying the anger. That would probably sound weird to anyone else but I know you understand. Thank you for that. Thank you for letting me be angry. Thank you for teaching me that it is okay to be angry. Thank you for letting me be me. Just thank you.

            I was contacted by the Ministry. They don't want me to go back to Hogwarts for our makeup year. They offered me a position as an Auror. Express, with no training. That is just not what I want to do. I politely declined... okay I told them to get bent. Charming right? With my people skills I might just become a politician. Also, fuck them. When has the Ministry ever done right by me? No thanks. Besides you'll be at Hogwarts. Sounds much better than going to some stuffy office learning to be an Auror. Risking my life fighting the bad guy for people who don't care about me. They only care about what I can do for them.

I still have no idea what I want to do. Maybe I will just do nothing. I could lounge around all day and write memoirs of my life. Ha. As if anyone would want to read that. Don't even think about defending me Draco. I can already hear you trying to tell me that I need to have more confidence and that anyone would love to read about me. Anyways, I think it will take some more time before I decide what I want to do. Nothing is attracting my attention.

            Enough about me. I want to talk about you though. I loved your plans for after school. I think it is fascinating, well actually no. I think you are fascinating. Talk to your father. Let him know what your plans are now before you start school. The quicker you get it done with the better. Remember, I do what I want. Just repeat it until you are ready. You can do this. You have the strength to take control over your life. I believe in you.

            I was wondering if you knew how Snape was doing? I am not comfortable sending him a letter but I do hope he is doing well. He didn't look so good the last time I had seen him so I am a little worried. Did the venom clear his body? Any lasting effects? Will he be okay? If he needs any help let me know. You don't have to let him know that it would be coming from me. I know I am not his biggest fan but I really would like to help if I can.

            I should probably do something useful today. I think I shall get started on my project. It will take up a lot of my time. But if you ever want to pay me a visit don't hesitate. I will make the time. I have bored you enough, I will go. Hopefully I will see you soon.

            -Harry

            P.S. This bird is a gift to you. I know you have your family owls but I had a hunch that you yourself don't have one. He is a tad on the small size but he is still growing. He reminds me of you. Sweet and caring but stubborn as hell and can have a mean strike if pushed. I asked him if he would make the journey and he bit me! The little bugger. I hope you like him. If not, you can send him back to me. I haven't picked out a name. I figured you could do the honor. Take care Draco.

            The occupants in the room watched the emotions play on Draco's face with growing amusement. Who knew he was even capable of all of them. They certainly hadn't seen them before. They watched with arched brows as they could see happiness, humor, confusion, frustration, fright, embarrassment, pleasure, pride, more happiness and a lot of adoration.

            Draco felt his cheeks pink a little as he read the letter. Gods he was over the moon for him. He knew he probably looked like a fool grinning from ear to ear. Draco looked down at the little owl with wonder. He wondered how Harry knew he didn't have his own owl. Their owls were for the whole family. It wasn't like he needed one just for himself. Why bother when his parent's owls were there? But looking at the little owl in front of him, Draco felt such affection for Harry. It was so sweet to gift him like this.

            The owl looked up at him with beautiful dark blue eyes. His fur was a dark brown with white spots. He was a little thing but he was so cute. He disagreed with Harry's assumptions. This owl reminded him of Harry not the other way around. He reached out his hand and let the owl smell him before he stroked his head softly. The owl let out a noise that resembled a purr. Draco smiled at him. The blue of his eyes was almost as memorizing as Harry's green eyes. He knew the perfect name.

            "Azure." Draco mumbled quietly to the owl. The owl gave an affectionate nip to his finger as if to say he liked the name. Draco grinned at the owl and looked up to see curious looks from the others. Draco cleared his throat. He didn't really have the words to explain so he just shoved the letter over to Severus. He didn't want bother waiting to see their looks. He looked back down and spent the time petting his new owl.

            By the time he was finished cataloging all the things he would need to take care of his owl in his head Severus was done reading. Draco snatched it away before his parents could read it. Severus was surprised at the distrust Draco was showing his parents. For him to have only showed the letter to him it showed his parents that he was not going to play their games. Severus rolled his eyes. Purebloods. They couldn't just talk out their problems, like normal people.

            "Well his affection for you is clear." Severus said smirking internally at the disgruntled looks on Narcissa and Lucius's faces. Draco snapped his head up to look at his godfather. "You think so?" He asked, hating the insecurity that could be heard in his voice. "Obviously." Severus drawled handing the letter back to him. Draco glared at him. Partly due to his tone but mainly for the fact that Harry was still caring about his godfather despite his atrocious behavior. Severus sighed. He knew he had a lot to take care of concerning Potter. It was one thing to hear it from Draco but another to see the evidence.

            Lucius was outraged that his son would show the letter to Severus but not them. He knew his son was suspicious but he had hoped his approval of Potter would have Draco's resolve softening. Looks like he would have to try harder.

            "The letter mentioned something about your plans for the future?" Severus asked. Giving Draco a pointed look. Draco narrowed his eyes at his godfather. How dare he force his hand. He sighed, not really wanting to start a row with his father.        

            "I am going back to Hogwarts." Draco held up a hand when it looked like his father was going to interrupt. "I am going to finish out my final year that I never got to do. I am not going into politics."

             Lucius raised a brow in surprise at the words and also the finality that his son spoke in. This was news to him. "I have no idea what I want to do yet. I want to do something regarding potions. I don't know if it will be a mastery in potions or something else. I haven't decided yet. I may even want to take a year off and travel. Again, I don't know. I will tell you when I finally do decide." His tone was final, indicating that he didn't give a damn what any of them had to say on the matter.

            Severus and Lucius both arched a brow. They were wondering where this new assertive side to him came from. Narcissa was proud of the man he was turning into, she just wished he wasn't going against their plans for him. Draco squared his shoulders. "I am not asking. I will be 18 in less than a month. I have been an adult for a year. I do not need your permission. I have never wanted to go into politics. I am going to make a name for myself and it will be the furthest thing from everyone's expectations of a Malfoy. If you disagree with my decision, then tough shite." Severus had to hold back a snicker at the thunderous look on Lucius's face. "Again, I don't need your permission. I am my own person. I am my own man. You cannot force me into it either. You can take away my inheritance if you wish. Although since I did come of age a year ago, you would have to fight that in the courts and believe me I will take you to court. I don't think you want negative attention right now." Draco said with a hard glint in his eyes, thoroughly enjoying this.

            His parents were gobsmacked. Who was this person and what happened to their child? Lucius was furious with the thinly veiled insults. Narcissa was just stunned speechless. On the outside Draco was standing firm and proud. On this inside however, he was a mess. Good god he just threatened his father. He was sure he was going to kill him. What was he thinking? Lucius was stunned. No one besides the Dark Lord has ever threatened him before. No one. Part of him bristled at the fact that his son even dared to speak to him like that. Another part of him was... proud. His son grew a back bone. One that would take him far in life. He needed his son to be on his side. He had a hunch all of this had to do with Potter. He would have to find another to get his son following his footsteps in becoming a politician but for now he would have to let it go. There was still time.

            "Draconis." Draco cringed internally at the use of his whole name. It took everything he had to keep the strong façade going. "I will remind you of whose house this is." Draco nodded. "I will not have you speak to me like that again." Lucius warned darkly. "I have come to the realization that I cannot force you into anything you do not want to do." Draco's heart started beating faster. What a load of shite. That was exactly what he had been doing Draco's whole life. Did he think he was fooling anyone? Did he honestly think he could worm his way into Draco's heart? It was 17 years too late to attempt that.

            "Whatever you decide to do is fine with me as long as you make a decision before the end of your school year. I will not have indecision on your part prevent you from actually getting a job." Draco let out a relieved breath he hadn't been aware he was holding. If his father had a leg to stand on, he would have given an alternative just now. So his father had to come up with a back up plan. Good, that gave Draco time. "Yes father." Narcissa was once again stunned at the changes in her son. She had half a mind to make sure he wasn't imperiused or an imposter.

            *Pop* A house elf apparated into the room. "Master Malfoy a Mister Dirkley is here to see you." The elf squeaked. "That would be the lawyer. Send him in Izzy." Lucius said with a sigh. Draco took the opportunity to leave with Azure. He made his way to his bedroom and transfigured a cage for the owl. He did not want to stick around and listen to the boring plans for their trial. He didn't even want to think about the trial. Draco picked up a piece of parchment and wrote out a reply to Harry. Azure started hooting to get his attention. He stuck his little leg out through the bars.

            "You just delivered. You need to rest. I can send this out with one of father's owls." Azure glared up at him and hooted angrily. He stuck his leg out as far as he could go. Draco smirked at the bird in amusement. "If you are certain." The owl hooted. He unhooked the cage and tied the letter to his leg. "Make sure he gets the letter and if you would like you can rest there if need be." Azure nipped his finger a little harder than necessary. Draco chuckled in response as he opened his bedroom window. He stood and watched the owl fly off into the distance well after he was long gone.

----------------------------------------------------

Authors Notes:

So Harry defends Draco last chapter. Draco defends Harry this chapter. Only fair right? ;)

Did Draco say too much to Snape? I would like to hear your thoughts. Should he have found a better way to confront his godfather?

There was a bit of foreshadowing here, any theories on Draco's sudden ability to use some wandless magic? I won't be explaining just yet but I would love to see if anyone has picked up on what it could mean. 

Until next chapter. :)

-XxTheDarkLordxX

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

699K 18K 25
Harry is abused by the Dursleys, so Sirius and Remus come to stay with him in Hogwarts to make sure he's okay. He starts a secret friendship with Dr...
158K 4.9K 18
Completed! Story is set after 8 years of war. . . Draco has discovered a lot about muggel technology. . . Harry broke up with Ginny after coming out...
60.3K 2K 20
I want to start by saying I DO NOT OWN THE COVER!!! ...
642K 21K 67
Harry was not at all excited to start school again. He was not ready for all the "dark lord" talk to start up again. Back at Hogwarts harry walks in...