The Light of Elysium

By MayaR-31

Book 1 (complete) - Veterinary student Elle wants to travel, but she doesn't plan on getting pulled into a ma... More

Author's note
Prologue
1 - Dreams
2 - The Journey Begins
3 - Not in Kansas anymore
4 - Kingdom under the Mountains
5 - No way home
6 - A New Partnership
7 - A dark encounter
8 - Did someone yell for a hero
9 - Down by the lake
10 - Dance of the sun and the moon
11 - The Rainbow Isles
12 - Queen's Conquest
13 - Lammas Festival
14 - Lord of the Emerald Isle
15 - Ill met by Moonlight
16 - Agape
17 - Amongst the trees
18 - Equinox
19 - Capture
20 - Lord Nero
21 - Glimmer in the dark
22 - My sweet
#31CreepyWords
23 - Leap of Faith
24 - Flight
25 - White Water
26 - Fearful symmetry
27 - Company of wolves
28 - Falling
29 - Arcadia
31 - Mr Sullen, Mr Mischief & Mr Silent
32 - Green does not become you
33 - Battlelines
34 - Storm
35 - The wild hunt
36 - Temptation
37 - Whiplash
38 - The Chase
39 - The white knight
40 - Mid-Winter Ball
41 - Promises
42 - The Prophecy
43 - The element of air
44 - Home is where the heart is
45 - Destiny calling
46 - Icarus
47 - Journey by night
48 - A face from the past
49 - Aldebaran
50 - Trial of the White Queen
51 - Sleep, perchance to dream
52 - Lair of the Dark King
53 - Dark dreams
54 - Dark games
55 - Winter's embrace
56 - The Ice Queen and the King of Sin
57 - Politics
58 - A truth uncovered
59 - Back from the edge
60 - Muse
61 - Quandary
62 - Night under the stars
63 - Bound in blood
64 - A rolling stone
65 - Waiting for a hero
66 - Pride and Prejudice
67 - Sensibility
68 - Bedouin Night
69 - Flashpoint
70 - Reunion
71 - Denial
72 - Dreams
73 - A fire kindled
74 - Touched by a Goddess
75 - Ostara
76 - The fire within
77 - Options
78 - An inescapable fate
79 - Point of no return
80 - Bereft
81 - Journey's end
Characters/Cast List
The Queen of Elysium - sneak peek

30 - A new dawn

7.1K 507 72
By MayaR-31

(Aren's PoV.)

The glass door to Elissa's room is a daunting thing. I just stand there on the balcony staring at it before plucking up the courage to knock as loudly as I dare. I hold my breath and I wait to see if she will answer.

Alright, I admit that this is not the first time that I have clandestinely approached a lady's chambers, however, this is different. I am not here to make a conquest, I just want to see her.

There is the sound of movement, the heavy curtain is pulled back and then I am rewarded with the sight of Elissa as she opens the door. Her nightgown is thin, white cotton and I try not the notice the effect of the cold night's air. She shivers and wraps her arms around herself.

I could warm her up, the tiger purrs in my head.

"Can I help you?" Her voice is terser than normal.

"I did not get the chance to say goodnight." Internally I wince. That was a bit pathetic.

"You were the guest of honour. I am sure you had many important people to speak with."

"None more than you, my sweet ..."

"Don't call me that," Elissa interrupts and physically recoils.

My heart constricts and I hang my head. I meant to call her 'my sweetheart', but perhaps I misinterpreted her interest.

She rests a hand on my arm. "That's what he called me."

I growl. I would dearly like to make Nero pay. The eagle and the tiger are right there with me. For her sake, I rein in the anger and stare into her beautiful green eyes, at a loss for what to say.

When she shivers again, I kiss her hand. "I will let you sleep. Goodnight, beautiful." 

Transforming into an eagle, I fly up into the night, away from the one that pulls at my being, urging me to return.

......

My sleep is fitful and after hastily dressing I once more transform into an eagle and take off into the blue-grey sky of predawn. My wings carry me back to her balcony and again I face that door. I rap my knuckles against the glass. I have a bit of a wait before a sleepy looking Elissa finally opens the door. 

"You again!"

Looking first at the ground and then at her through my eyelashes, I confess, "I could not sleep."

"So, you thought that you would wake me up?"  She raises an eyebrow, but her face shows more amusement than discontent.

"You were the first thing on my mind." I give her a grin and cheekily ask, "As you are up, perchance could we go for a stroll?"

She shakes her head and gives an exaggerated sigh. "I suppose it's useless to try and go back to sleep any way. Ok, let me get dressed. I'll meet you downstairs."

I fly down and idly toe at the dew-laden grass with the tip of my boot as I wait. Though it is cool outside, my palms are sweaty and upon hearing soft footsteps, I wipe them on my trousers.

Offering Elissa my arm, we take the path up to the arbour on the hill. It has impressive views down over the valley and is a prime spot to watch the sun rising over Arcadia.

The arbour is still abundant with autumn-blooming roses and situated underneath is a bench; a huge slab supported on one side by a stone lion and on the other by a stone bear. Laying my cloak on the cold stone, I bid her sit.

Feeling need to make amends, I apologise, "Elissa, I am truly sorry for the position I put you in last night."

"I don't understand why you didn't tell me that you are royalty."

Heart in my mouth, I try to explain. "All my life people have treated me in certain ways because of my position. You are the first person who has acted completely unguarded around me and I did not want that to end. Each day I grow fonder of you and wish for you to like me, Aren the man, not the prince. Please forgive me for not finding the courage to tell you sooner."

"I admit that I was hurt that you did not trust me. My previous life was based on a lie." She looks down, obviously struggling with painful memories, causing me to feel even worse for not being truthful.

Hope flickers when she takes my hand and I weave our fingers together. Facing east, we watch the sunrise, only I find my gaze being drawn back to Elissa, bewitched by the way her skin and hair seem to glow in the dawn light.

She turns to find me staring and her brow crinkles cutely.  "You're not looking at the sunrise."

"I cannot tear my gaze from your radiance." The words are heartfelt, but I worry that they might sound trite.

"Aren!" she softly admonishes and shyly looks down.

Unable to wait any longer, I gently cup her face with my hand and at long last our lips meet. A soaring sensational fills me, not unlike gliding on a thermal. Yet I come crashing back to the ground when Elissa goes limp in my arms.

It becomes hard for me to breathe until I witness the reassuring rise and fall of her chest and realise that she has just fainted. I lie her on the bench, with her head in my lap and stroke her silken hair, praying silently to the gods that she is alright.

It is not long before her eyelids flutter and she gazes up at me. "What happened to the lightning storm?"

She must be disoriented. I gently respond, "There was no storm."

I help her to sit up.

"So, you didn't just chase me in your tiger form?"

The tiger's ears perk and I shake my head.

"Or call me kitten when you caught me before giving me the most amazing kiss of my life?"

Stifling a smile, I shake my head again. "Regretfully, no."

She touches her lips. "But it felt so real."

"I am more than happy to work on the kissing. We could start immediately. Just try not to faint again."

"Only if you don't send me to sleep," she retorts cheekily.

My eyes widen in mock offence and I go to grab her, but Elissa ducks away and runs off down the hill towards the gardens. Laughing, I set off in pursuit and finally catching her, sweep her off her feet.

Gently placing her on the ground, my fingers linger upon her waist, reluctant to let her go. She rests a hand on my chest to steady herself and glances up at me. I am caught in the green of her eyes.

This time when I gently kiss her, there is thankfully no fainting. In fact, it is perfect. She is perfect. I smile against her soft, warm lips.

Hand in hand, we run down to the castle and burst into the bustling kitchen. The head cook approaches us, her hands on her matronly hips, but there is a glimmer of a smile on her face.

I give her a boyish grin. "Can we steal some food? I do not wish to go to the Hall to break our fast."

"You always were a rascal." She flaps me away with her apron. "I will send up a girl with a breakfast tray."

.....

I am dragged away from Elissa's side by a messenger saying that mother wishes to see me.  I saunter in to my parents' private reception room to find her seated by a table laden with afternoon tea.

"You summoned me, mother."

"Aren, my own heart. I just wanted to see you and ensure that you are settling back in alright."

I slouch on a chair, one leg draped over the arm and grab a delicate little cake from the selection on the table, popping the whole thing into my mouth. She gives me an indulgent look and pours tea into a bone china cup.

"I wonder if you would like to invite Belinda as your guest at the high table tonight."

My face hardens. "No! I already have a guest."

"I understand that you are grateful to the girl, however, it is not fair to raise her expectations and you know how courtiers like to gossip."

"Her name is Elissa and I mean for her to dine at my side at every meal possible. If you do not wish her at the high table then I will take a seat at one of the lower tables."

Mother sighs. "Aren, I love you dearly, but you can be impulsive. Elissa seems like such an innocent thing and you have both been through such an ordeal. Tread lightly, for I do not wish either of you to be hurt."

"Elissa is like no other I have known. I could never hurt her," I insist. "Anyway, if you are worried for heirs, then Leo can always marry well."

She shakes her head. "Just behave."

I flash her my most charming smile. "But of course, mother."

............

AN - This chapter is dedicated to Alicia Fairytale_Fabler thanks for all your support & I hope you enjoy the developments.😍

The song is Need the Sun to Break by James Bay. The lyrics sum up how Aren feels:
I need the sun to break, you've woken up my heart
I'm shaking, all my luck could change
Been in the dark for weeks and I've realized you're all I need
And I hope that I'm not too late

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3M 240K 60
After fulfilling an Unbreakable Promise, Claire finally accepts her new life in Dragonwall. She has discovered a new purpose--one she created for her...
307 20 24
When Phoebe is woken up by James, the boy she's been crushing on since she can remember, she's surprised to find him in a panic. His sister Kara is m...
8.7K 827 48
Evie is haunted by her past, and so tangled up with her best friend and room mate she isn't even sure she remembers how to be an independent person a...
132K 7K 92
Josh dreams of dragons. He thinks it's just a welcome escape from everyday life. Until one morning, he wakes up with scales, wings, and a tail. Josh...