The Beta

By JacqTheWriter

Boy meets girl. They fall in love, overcome some tragic hardship, and live happily ever after. Except what ha... More

I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXIX
XL
XLI
XLII
XLIII
Author's Note
Sneak Peek
Author's Note
XLIV
XLV
XLVI
XLVII
XLVIII
XLIX
L
LI
LII
LIII
LIV
LV
LVI
LVII
LIX
LIX.5
LX
LXI
LXII
Author's Note
~Sequel~

XXXVIII

1K 73 12
By JacqTheWriter

*Rian*

Titus started getting out of the car before I stopped him.

"If I need to make her fall in love with me enough to travel across the country by the end of the week," I said, "then you can't come in. You ruin the mood."

"You expect me to just sit in the car all night?"

Rolling my eyes, I pushed open my car door. "This won't take all night."

"Don't rush for my sake, please," he cooed, pretending to bat his eyelashes.

"Go take a walk, you pansy." I got out of the car and started for Faye's front door.

Although I didn't look back, I heard him slam the car door and take off down the street. Good. The night air might help get his head screwed back on straight.

Within seconds after I'd rapped on the door, Faye opened it. I immediately noticed how off her smile was. Something was wrong. My gut twisted uncomfortably at the thought.

"Hi," she greeted softly.

"Hey." I stepped closer to her, needing to touch her. "Are you okay?"

She nodded, forcing her smile to stretch a little wider. "Let's talk out here."

My heart skipped as Faye closed the door behind her and brushed my chest on her way to the porch swing. She eyed me expectantly once she'd seated herself.

"What's wrong?" I insisted.

"Come sit," she said, patting the space beside her.

I reluctantly obeyed. It was ironic that she was bossing me around and I was letting her. Even my Alpha struggled to do that.

"Nothing is wrong." Her eyes turned down at her lap, avoiding my gaze. "My mom is just having a moment. She misses my dad."

We swung slowly in silence while I considered an appropriate response. Wrapping my hand around hers, I cleared my throat.

"It must be difficult for both of you," I whispered.

She nodded. "It is. Some days are easier than others."

"When does he come back?"

"End of August."

"I'm sorry, Faye. I wish there was some way I could help."

The tiny smile hugging her lips was genuine while she replied, "I know you do. I appreciate your support."

"Of course. You'll always have my support."

Her body sagged with a sigh. "So, where's Titus?"

"Out and about," I said, shrugging. "I told him to leave us alone."

"Did you two have fun? Do anything fun?"

I wrapped my arm around her shoulders and pulled her into my side. Her scent put me at ease, making me feel like I was home again. "We went to that barbecue place you recommended. It was good. Then we walked around the river for awhile while he complained about how much he misses Sarah."

"Who's Sarah?"

"His anima."

"Oh." Faye nestled her face against the side of my chest. "Why didn't she come with you guys?"

"Well," I answered slowly, "Alpha didn't give her permission."

I left out the part about how this trip is supposed to be short-term, which is why Sarah wasn't supposed to come.

"Do you always listen to your Alpha?"

"We're supposed to." I chuckle.

"What?"

Tilting my head to the side, I return her curious gaze. "I have a reputation for rebelling."

She quirked an eyebrow. "You? A rebel? I can't even imagine."

"That's because you tame me. Without you, I'm trouble."

"How did you handle yourself before we met?"

I ran my tongue over my lips, stalling. "I...I didn't control myself. Self-control has never really been my thing."

A laugh bubbled out of her. "You and I are so different."

"That's why we're good for each other," I said simply.

"Hmph."

Pulling her close again, I pressed a kiss to the top of her head and breathed in the coconut perfume of her hair. We sat on the swing for a few minutes, not talking or anything. Just being.

"Rian?" Faye's voice was quiet, hardly louder than the low whistle of the wind.

"Yes?"

"Do you have a job?"

My jaw clenched. "That's...complicated."

"Okay...well, do you have any plans for the future?"

"Does being with you count?"

She smiled. "That's a given."

"It better be," I quipped, grinning.

"What about like a career? Or a house?" she asked, peering up at me. "How does that work in the wolf world? How do you all support yourselves?"

"It varies. Most wolves have normal human lives." I took a deep breath. "My pack owns most of the real estate in our territory, so that's our main source of income. Some of our members manage smaller businesses, but the ones directly related to me, by blood, run the real estate."

"Interesting. Do you get to pick what you want to do?"

"Most do."

"But do you?"

Our eyes held for a brief second before I broke away to study the night sky. "No, I don't get a choice."

"Why?"

I tried to chuckle, but the sound died on my lips. "So many questions."

"You lead an unusual lifestyle, and I'm a curious person. It's a bad combination."

"Mhmm."

We were quiet again until she whispered, "Is it bad, Rian? Do they make you hurt people?"

Her question completely took me off guard. "What? No. Nobody makes me hurt anyone."

She sighed in relief. "You can tell me about whatever it is. I'm an expert at keeping secrets."

"That's worrisome. It's not about that, though."

"Then what is it?"

"Faye...being a wolf is very complicated. It's even worse for me because of my problems."

"I thought my presence helped with your problems?"

"They do," I promised, "but you can't always be with me. Not to mention my job isn't easy."

Faye softened sympathetically. "Okay. Don't tell me now. I'll get it out of you eventually."

"Uh huh." My chuckle was nervous.

"Anyway, what are you doing tomorrow? Wanna do something?"

I liked this topic much better. "I would love to go out with you. Admittedly, I'm not used to girls asking me out."

She laughed. "Well, there's plenty to do. We can go hiking or kayaking, or there's a zoo two towns over you might like."

"The zoo is a no-go. Animals don't like me."

"Really? Why?"

My mouth rose in a half-smirk. "They can sense my wolf. It's like bringing a shark to a fish tank. Even if that shark has no intention of getting lunch."

"That's...wow. I wouldn't have even considered that."

"I know. It's a peculiar way of life," I told her, pursing my lips. "Kayaking sounds fun."

Her eyes lit up. "I'll call first thing tomorrow to reserve two. What time do you want to go?"

"I'm completely free. Whatever works for you."

"Let's go after lunch. It'll be warmer, in case you fall in."

"Fall in?"

Grinning, she said, "Hey, you never know."

"I better keep my eye on you," I remarked, inducing a giggle from her. "You're just as mischievous as me."

"Maybe."

"Faye!" her mother shouted. "Faye, where are you?"

In the blink of an eye, Faye had jumped out from under my arm and moved to the front door. She poked her head through the door. "I'm getting some air! Give me two seconds."

"Getting some air? Don't be too long! No catching a cold."

Faye closed the door and turned back to me. "I better go."

"Are you scared of telling her I'm here?" I asked, drifting to her side.

"She's just not in a good mood. I don't want you to get wrapped up in that."

I brushed the hair from her face. "You don't need to worry about protecting me."

"Trust me, Rian. Let me win this one."

"Let you win?" I asked, adopting a shocked look. "Now, why would I ever do that?"

"Because..." She reached up to lay her palms on my shoulders. "I'm your soulmate and...you want me to be happy."

A hoarse chuckle escaped me while I dipped my head to hers. "So I'm just supposed to give you whatever you want?"

"Precisely." Her breath caught in her throat when my lips brushed against her cheek before slowly drifting towards her neck. "Sh-she's gonna come looking for me."

"Just one second more."

My body hummed with thrill each time our skin met. A tingling blasted through my nerves as my lips skirted hers. Finally, I kissed them, indulging in the instinctual hankering deep within me.

The desire to mark her wrapped its steely fingers around my gut. I could make it quick. I could make it almost painless. It would feel so nice to finally be connected with her in that way. She would officially be mine forever, until we both died.

No.

I had to wait. For her sake.

"Faye!" her mother hollered again.

She jerked away from our kiss, cheeks reddening in the starlight. "Goodnight."

"Night," I murmured, forcing my urges to back off.

Heart in my throat, I watched her slip back inside. The rapid cadence of her pulse didn't slow even a little. I smiled to myself. And to think I had a whole lifetime of those kisses to look forward to.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 148 17
Reda has heard about werewolves and how they like to feed on the innocent. She knew that they travel in packs and have an Alpha. But what Reda didn'...
3.2M 77.9K 26
London was from a pack that was killed by an enemy pack. She was only seventeen when it happened. She was the only one to escape except for a small b...
2.2M 74.2K 33
Boy x boy x boy werewolf story. The poor omega finally finds his mate, which is a soon to be Alpha of a different pack.
1.2M 33.8K 25
When your mate is an Alpha and you're the rogue that causes all the trouble, you can't exactly go up to him and say "How's it going big guy! Even tho...