The Hybrid

By WYLD_ROSE

Book 1 of The Alpha Series. Highest Rank: #2 in Werewolf. He growled darkly, making me uneasy at the sound. A... More

AN: Must Read!
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Epilogue
Bonus Chapter #1
Bonus Chapter #2
Bonus Chapter #3
Thank You & The Alpha Series: Book 2!
The Alpha Series: Book 3
The Alpha Series: Book 4!
Exclusive Chapter Teaser

Chapter 10

446K 16.1K 7.2K
By WYLD_ROSE

Chapter 10 – Caring Side

I feel him stiffen whilst he stares at me, worry flashing through those green orbs of his. I knew he would do so, but I need to know why it happens.

"So, you noticed that." He states, sighing as he runs a hand through his hair...again and rubs the back of his neck.

"Yeah...are you not h-human?" I ask, watching his head snap up. "It's okay if you're not, I'm totally cool with dating an...alien."

He stares at me for the longest time before doing something that catches me off guard. He tilts his head back and bursts into laughter, the rich and husky sound echoing off the walls of the quiet room. I frown at him when he pulls me forward and places me on his waist so I'm straddling him, my legs on either side of his hips. Ignoring the tempting sparks that are dancing on my skin in joy, I focus on him.

"No Aurora, I am not an alien. I can assure you that I'm human." He chuckles but makes no move to explain further.

And honestly, that kind of hurt. I'm not stupid to just pass it off as nothing, I know there is something up with him, some secret that he's hiding; deflecting. I mean, the dude growls and his eyes change from green to black to red to gold! If that doesn't make a girl suspicious, then I don't know what will.

Instead I nod, smiling as if I have accepted his reply. I notice that he lets out a sigh and his features lose the strain and tension that was present just a few moments ago. It's like he feels relieved that I don't press for any more questions.

Oh no, I'm not finished with you yet Vulcan Romanov.

He turns off the television before picking me up and carrying me up to my bedroom. Placing me on my own two feet, I walk into the closet to change into some comfortable nightwear which consists of a pair of navy boy shorts and a long white top over it that comes just to mid-thigh.

Walking out, I hear a low growl making me freeze on the spot before Vulcan appears in front of me. I look up to see that his eyes have darkened again and are now on my revealed legs. His fists are clenched and he shuts his eyes tightly before opening them again. I refrain myself from questioning him when I see that they are back to green.

"I... I have to leave." He says lowly, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Okay." I nod, confused at his strange behavior at seeing me in my night clothes.

He presses a firm kiss to my forehead before telling me that he'll text me and then makes his way over to the window that leads out to the back garden. What the hell is he doing? I think to myself as I step forward, watching as he opens it up and suddenly, jumps out of it. I gasp and run over, looking down to see him land perfectly, in one piece, on the ground before turning to look back up at me.

I can faintly make out a smirk on his lips while he waves and leaps over the large wall, disappearing into the forest. Pulling myself back from the window, I close it before drawing the curtains. My heart beats wildly in my chest, my mind running in overdrive with images of him jumping out and managing to land on the ground...without breaking any bones or hurting himself.

"What the hell was that?!" I whisper yell to myself, looking around the empty bedroom as if the answer to all my questions is written on the walls. Groaning, I switch off the light and settle in my bed, bringing the covers up to my chin. I seriously need to sleep this over.

***

The next day.

I walk into my last class, Art, the next day and smile back at Theo, a friend of Vulcan and Indigo's. Setting my bag down, I prop myself up on the stool beside him. My mind is swimming with thoughts about Vulcan, and I have not been able to distract myself once I woke up for school. My brain is having a field day flooding pictures to the forefront of my mind and forcing me to think about last night. Theo nudges me, making me snap my head up and look around in confusion. 

"Are you okay?" He whispers, frowning at me in concern.

I nod, smiling weakly but it does nothing to ease his worry. Sighing, I focus on the task ahead and listen to my teacher talk excitedly about what we are going to be doing today. Placing a canvas on the easel, I squirt some paint colors onto my palette before bringing it back to the table with two brushes in hand.

During the middle of the lesson, I nearly drop my paintbrush when Theo grabs my palette before picking up our bags and dragging me out of class. He nods to the teacher on the way out who looks like she has seen this before and is totally okay with it. I, on the other hand, am quite surprised that she has no objections to students cutting class before the bell rings.

Theo leads me out of the school and towards the back, passing the running track on the way and the screaming coach who is shouting out orders to the players. He places our bags on one of the wooden tables and forces me to sit across from him, his hands clasped together on the table with a frown on his lips.

"Spill it. You've been distracted and gloomy all day." He asks in a firm voice as if daring me to lie.

So naturally, I do, because I'm such a rebel. "Nothing's wrong, I –"

"Cut the bullshit, Aurora." He huffs, crossing his arms intimidatingly.

"Is this about Vulcan?" He asks softly, dipping his head low so he can meet my eyes as I look down at the table, pensively.

My head snap up at his words, eyes widening. "You think so too?"

"Think what?"

"That he – he's not n-normal. He jumped out of my window last night and – and then walked away! With not a scratch in sight and he growls and his eyes change colour –"

"Hey," Theo hushes, walking over to me and placing his arm around my shoulder. "Vulcan is...normal okay, he'll tell you everything when the time is right but when he does...Aurora, I just want you to keep an open mind and not run without letting him explain everything."

"He's normal?" I croak, looking at him dubiously when he nods in reply.

I don't believe him but still nod. Standing up when the bell rings, we head back inside to collect our books and head home. I wave goodbye to him as he gets into one car and drives off before heading over to Alex who is waiting for me with Sophia.

Theia wants me over for dinner tonight and I'm so ready to stuff myself. We strap ourselves in and drive over to the Valentine's place, singing the songs that belt out of the radio along the way. I laugh when Alex and I both reach the high notes before he coughs. Patting his back, I change the station and wince when Sophia squeals loudly as her favorite artist starts singing.

I sing in time to the beat, all of us chuckling at our terrible voices but continuing regardless. Soon, Alex has parked in the driveway and we are all heading inside. Opening the door, I grin when I smell food cooking, rushing inside to greet Theia in the kitchen. Groaning, I cover my eyes when I see Darius plant a kiss on Theia's lips.

"I think I'm going to throw up." Alex fake gags, gripping my shoulder while Sophia mutters how she has to see this more than us.

Theia laughs lightly and pulls us in for a hug before Darius takes over. Damon joins us soon after, picking me up and ruffling my hair when he sets me back down. Scowling, I smack his chest while fixing my now messed up curls. Everyone sits at the large dining table and digs into the food, a series of moans and groans following soon after as we all take our first few bites.

"Amazing as always, Theia." I spoon some rice into my mouth.

"Thank you, honey." She chuckles, her brown hair pushed over her shoulders.

"How's school going? Are you liking it here so far, kiddo?" Darius asks, whilst putting some of the salad onto his plate.

"What's this I hear about you hanging around with Kaden Reid?" Damon scowls, making me glare at Alex who only raises his hands in a surrendering motion.

"He's my friend and no, before you lecture me about it, he is not a bad person who forces me to take drugs or smoke or skip school and go drag racing at night." I deadpan, smirking when Sophia burst out laughing only to cough when Damon turns to glare at her before his eyes soften at the innocent smile she gives him.

"Keep your distance from him, he's not exactly a saint." Damon mutters, playing with his food.

I roll my eyes and resume eating, chatting with everyone. Taking a sip of water, I fish out my phone from my jeans' pocket when it buzzes, alerting me of a notification. Turning it on, I see that I have received a message from Vulcan. I tap into the conversation and start typing back.

Aurora: How did you get my number?

Vulcan: I added it when you went to change last night, you should really put on a lock.

Aurora: Will do. I type back, adding a thumbs up emoji.

Vulcan: Good. Where are you?

Aurora: I'm having dinner with family friends. Are you outside my apartment?

Vulcan: Yes. When are you coming back? I want to see you.

Before I can reply, the phone is snatched out of my hands by Alex who wiggles his finger at me as if I'm a child being scolded. "Uh uh uh, no phone at the dining table. Rules are ru - what the hell are you doing talking to Vulcan Romanov?!"

"What?!" I flinch when everyone else in the room shouts, making me slide down in my seat a little as they glare at me while the phone is grabbed by Darius, with Theia looking over his shoulder, before it's passed on to Damon and finally Sophia.

"When did you meet him?!" Damon scowls at me as I take the phone from Sophia's hands.

"You need to stay away from him, Aurora." Darius says sternly in his deep voice, seriousness present in his eyes.

"Why? First Kaden and now Vulcan, what is up with everyone banning me from guys?" I mutter, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Why would Vulcan Romanov be interested in Aurora anyways? What's he looking for..." Damon trails off in thought, confusion in his eyes as he looks over to his parents.

"What's that supposed to mean?!" I ask, angrily. "Do guys need a reason to be with me; an ulterior motive? They can't be with me just because they like me?"

Damon sighs, shaking his head. The atmosphere turns tense in the room and I stand from my seat, hurt that he would say that. 

"Whatever, sorry I ruined dinner but I'm going. Thanks Theia." I murmur, my voice almost a whisper in the end as I try to keep my tone without emotion.

I hear everyone protest but I pay them no mind, rushing out to grab my bag and jacket from the couch and leaving the house, closing the front door behind me. I run down the driveway and a little further down the street, making sure they aren't following me before slowing down. I hear my phone ping again and turning it on, it leads me to mine and Vulcan's conversation.

Vulcan: Why are you not replying?

Vulcan: Baby, are you okay?

I let out a strangled breath of air, choking on a sob before bringing a hand to my lips to muffle any sound. I refuse to believe that Vulcan is with me for an ulterior motive. Looking around, I realize I didn't think this one through for my apartment is twenty minutes away by car which will take a good while to get home if I walk.

I kick the nearby wall in anger, crying out in frustration. If only Alex didn't grab my phone, if only Damon didn't say what he did. I feel a headache coming on and tears well up in my eyes, thinking about what I should do now. Sniffling, I pull the straps of my backpack tighter to my chest before letting go when my phone rings.

I swipe my thumb across the screen before pressing it to my ear. "H-Hello?"

"What the fuck, Aurora?! Why have you not replied to my texts yet, do you know how worried I am?" Vulcan fumes on the other side, his voice dark.

"Sorry, I got distracted." I sniffle, walking towards the direction of my apartment.

"Are you crying? Where are you?"

"No, I'm not crying!" I snap, cursing under my breath when a sob escapes my lips.

"I'm coming to get you, tell me where you are." I can hear an engine starting in the background.

I tell him the address, trying to calm myself down but it's no use. "Calm down baby, I'll be there in no time."

I'm so upset; I don't even notice the endearment he has called me. Leaning against the wall, I hug my jacket closer to my chest while I wait for him. To pass the time, I count the number of cars that drive by all the while wiping away tears. I don't even know why I'm crying!

In the end, I just stop uselessly swiping at my cheeks and wrap my arms around my waist. I ignore the constant pings going off from my phone, knowing it's probably Damon. Not wanting to talk to him, I silence my phone. A horn sounds in the distance making me look to the right to see a familiar, black car pulling up to the street I'm on.

Vulcan jumps out of the car and rushes over to me, cupping my face and wiping my wet cheeks. I look up at him with blurry vision, his green eyes now dark and streaked with red. At this point I don't even care that his eyes are glowing a different color. Wrapping my arms around his waist, I cry into his chest while he hugs me, pressing his lips to my forehead.

I'm soon picked up and carried to the car as he hushes me while strapping me in, placing my backpack near my feet. Sniffling, I huddle up into myself on the seat, willing for this day to be over. I watch as he rounds the front of his car before hopping into the driver's seat and pulling away from the kerb. He drives down the streets, both of us silent...well, as silent as I can be with sniffling and hiccuping constantly.

"Who made you cry?" He finally asks, his voice seemingly louder and deadlier in the quiet car.

I shake my head, my voice hoarse from crying when I speak. "Please Vulcan, I don't want to talk about it. It's not a big deal anyways." 

He sighs, running a hand through his hair in frustration before nodding. My gaze lands on the various houses and stores that we drive by before finally, Vulcan is pulling onto the street where I live. There is barely any traffic tonight so we get home earlier than the time it would have usually taken.

Jumping out of the car, I grab my bag and walk up to unlock my door, feeling Vulcan's gaze boring holes into the back of my head. Hearing his car being locked, I leave the door open before walking inside and turning on the light, flinching when the brightness makes my eyes sting.

Leaving my bag on the couch, I head into the kitchen and fill a glass with cold water to calm myself down. Vulcan leans against the door frame, watching me with angry eyes and a scowl etched onto his lips, his features set in stone. I avoid his gaze before trying to make an escape to the living room. However, I know it wouldn't have worked because when I go to pass Vulcan, he grabs my wrist and pulls me to him, backing me up against the wall.

"You need to tell me what happened and you're going to tell me now." He utters dangerously, caging me in with his muscular arms.

I shake my head but am interrupted when he growls lowly in warning. Staring into his dark eyes, I can clearly see my own reflection. I can also tell that he is furious after finding me crying on the side of a street with no indication of what had happened.

I would be frustrated too but right now all I want to do is go to sleep and forget about it. It isn't a big deal, what Damon said just hurt my feelings and after everyone telling me to stay away from guys and everything that had been going on with Vulcan's seemingly abnormality, I am frustrated. It just caused me to stress out and break down.

Before I can say anything, my phone buzzes. I take it out, only for my eyes to widen when I see that Damon is calling me. Vulcan snatches it off me, making me protest as I try and take it back. He accepts the call and puts it on speakerphone, holding it away from me so I was at a height disadvantage.

"Hey Aurora, I hope you reached home safely. Listen about what I said...I know I hurt your feelings but believe me, I didn't mean to say that no guy wants to be with you without having an ulterior motive or because they don't really like you. That's not true at all." He stops, sighing loudly and I can hear Sophia in the background urging for him to continue. "I just don't want you hanging around Vulcan Romanov. I didn't mean for it to come out in the way that it did and... I'm sorry. I really am, please forgive me."

A snarl breaks through the air making me yelp and look up to see that Vulcan's eyes are no longer a dark green, they are completely obsidian.

"Si autem rursus bellum nocebit ei liquet. Promitto me, alioquin interficiam te." He utters before hanging up. (If you harm her again war will ensue. I promise, I will kill you.)

With that, he picks me up and carries me upstairs whilst I protest for him to put me down. He growls at me in warning, effectively shutting me up. Placing me in the closet, he mumbles for me to change before walking out. Hurriedly changing into my nightwear, I tuck my hair behind my ear before padding into the bathroom, his dark eyes following every movement of mine.

Brushing my teeth, I dry my face and hands before stepping out and closing the door. To say I'm beyond tired would be an understatement, I'm absolutely exhausted from today's turn of events. I look up to see Vulcan pacing in front of the same window that he had jumped out of, glancing at me from the corner of his eye.

"What did you say to him?" I ask quietly, playing with the hem of my pajama shirt.

"I just reminded him that he would have to face me if he ever hurts you again." He replies, an undertone of anger in his voice.

Sighing, I walk towards him, grabbing his hand and guiding him to the bed. All I want is for him to hold me tonight. As if realizing what I want him to do, he slips off his shoes and clothes, leaving him bare chested with just his black boxers on. I gulp before scooting back on the bed when he edges forward. He moves forward with such grace, as if I'm his prey and he's the predator. Placing my hands on his muscular biceps, I shiver when he rubs his nose against my cheek gently.

Smiling up at him sleepily, I let him lay down on his back and pull me halfway onto his chest, warmth emitting from his body that makes me cuddle closer to him. He grasps the back of my thigh and hooks my leg over his waist and I stifle a grin from spreading on my lips when he not so subtly places it above his noticeable bulge. Wrapping an arm around his waist, I lean up to peck his jaw before resting my head on his chest.

"Thank you for coming to get me today."

"Anything for you, mea lux." He murmurs quietly, lazily running his fingers up my arm. "Go to sleep, I'm not going anywhere." (My light.)

It's quiet for the longest time but I know he is awake when he doesn't stop tracing my skin. However, sleep is pulling at me, wanting for me to lunge into the dark abyss that is waiting to take me to the land of dreams. Just as I'm about to slip into a deep sleep, teetering on the edge, I hear him speak up again.

"My moon."

I hum, smiling when he pulls me closer and feel him press a kiss to the top of my head. And with that, I slip away.

VOTE and COMMENT if you liked this chapter please!

- R.W. ♡

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.2K 658 22
NOTE: This is completed but unedited. It will be going through major changes soon including with plot and character changes. Once it is all changed...
82.8K 3.5K 54
She collapses down in front of me and runs her hands along my shoulders and down my arms. I close my eyes as she lifts my shirt over my head. "I can...
665K 18.4K 20
"Mine!" I heard him growl. I turned around and screamed. He was so close to me our chests were touching. Alpha Carter is my mate! "No...no...no, yo...
3.7M 153K 56
Book 2 of The Alpha Series - Sequel to my first book, The Hybrid. Kaden's Luna cannot be read as a stand alone book! Kaden Reid is known as a rogue w...