Legends Lost: Galdin

By JanetMcNulty

When darkness looms And all is gloom Two will rise Bearing the mark combined. One, the phoenix dwells within ... More

Legends Lost: Galdin (Prologue)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter 1)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter II)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter III)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter IV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter V)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter VI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter VII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book1, Chapter VIII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter IX)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book1, Chapter X)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XIII)
Legends Lost: Gladin (Book 1, Chapter XI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter IV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XVI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XVII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XVIII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XIX)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter 1)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter II)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter III)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter IV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter V)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter VI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter VII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter VIII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter IX)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapte XI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter XII))
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter XIII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book3, Chapter I)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book3, Chapter II)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter III)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter IV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter V)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter VI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book, Chapter VII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter VIII))
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book, Chapter IX)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter X)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XIII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XIV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XVI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XVII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XVIII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book, Chapter XIX)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XX)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Epilogue)

Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter X)

115 8 0
By JanetMcNulty

Note: This is the 29th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday.  But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.  

 Chapter X

Reunited

 Galdin wiped the sweat from his neck as he took the lead.  Tami wavered on her feet a bit from the intense heat of the midday sun.

"Here," said Galdin, handing her his canteen with the last of their water.

Tami popped off the cork taking a small sip.  "We should conserve our water."

"Just drink it," said Galdin, "We'll find more."

"I'm not so sure.  I thought we would have reached the river by now, but it's as if it's eluding us."

"Rivers don't move," said Galdin.

Tami laughed.  "Have you ever been to the Changing Woods?"

Galdin hadn't and he had no desire to ever enter that place.  He took off his vest and stuffed it in his pack.  The unusual heat drained his strength.  They were still in the lower hills of the mountains, having traveled south down them to avoid the barbarian army.  Never had they been this warm and certainly not this early in the year.

"What drives you so?" asked Tami.

Galdin stared at her as her question caught him by surprise.  "I'm not sure what you mean."

"Don't play coy with me," chided Tami, "You know perfectly well what I mean.  Why are you so intent to reach MurDair before the next full moon?  And what does that man from the prison want with you?"

"What did he want with you?"

Tami looked at her feet.  "I was caught practicing magic.  Apparently the barbarians do not like those who practice magic."

"They like them well enough to use them," said Galdin, "There are rumors of a sorcerer helping them.  Perhaps they thought to use you as well."

"You still have not answered my question."

"My sister heads to MurDair as we speak.  We were forced to split up and I am to meet her there by the next full moon.  If I fail to show, she will continue without me."

"Continue where?" asked Tami, her curiosity piqued.

"None of your concern," answered Galdin.  "When we reach the fairies' home, I am leaving you there."

"They do not live there anymore," said Tami.

Galdin faced her.  That was news to him.  The fairies had always lived in the northern part of MurDair.  "Where did they go?"

"No one knows for certain," answered Tami, "I searched for them after my parents died.  But all I found was an empty place with only one fairy.  She told me that the queen had ordered them to leave the lands of Tesnayr before the darkness came.  She said that I should do the same."

"Where is she?"

"I never saw her after that," Tami said, "But the fairies are here no more.  In a way, I am the last of their kind and yet I am only half a fairy."

"Is there any place you can go?"

"With you," said Tami.

"No."

"Why not?"

"You are just a child—"

"I'm nineteen!"

"And still too young for the horrors of war.  These barbarians are not here for child's play.  They plan to conquer.  And whether King Krispyn likes it or not, he will have to mount a defense against them.  War is coming and it is no place for you."

"Says you," spat Tami, "Do you think you are the only one who knows what lies ahead?  I have seen the same destruction you have.  My family is gone.  I have nowhere else to go and I am not going to sit around and wait for them to come for me again.  I am going with you; with or without your permission.  Besides, you need me."

"Need you?"

"I got us out of that prison."

"Not quite."

"It was I who led us through the labyrinth of the Perili Mountains," Tami's voice rose in intensity.

"Keep it down," cautioned Galdin.

"What?" Tami had noticed the expression on Galdin's face change.

"I think that rock over there moved," said Galdin, now feeling what Ryk had all that time ago.

"Don't be silly," scoffed Tami.

Galdin pulled out his sword and motioned for Tami to step behind him.  Eyes popped open in the rock as a tongue stuck out.  Without warning, it turned into Trog who leapt across the open space and landed squarely on Galdin's chest slobbering all over his face.

"Trog," coughed Galdin, "Get off."  He shoved the animal away, saliva dripping from his chin as he sat up.

"He's cute," commented Tami, scratching Trog's chin as he chirruped with joy.

"Wait a minute," said Galdin as a thought entered his mind, "If he is here, where is—"

Trog growled menacingly causing both Tami and Galdin to look about them.

A dark, massive shape crashed through the trees and swiped at Tami knocking her through the air.  She slammed into the trunk of a tree and lay motionless.

"Tami!"

Galdin jumped out of the way of the creature's claws as it swung at him.  He faced the niht'anda noting the chain around its neck.  It glared at Galdin snarling and exposing its rotted teeth.  The thing lunged for him.  Instantly, Trog knocked Galdin to the ground before quickly turning and lunging for the niht'anda.  The creature blocked Trog's attack and flung the animal to the side as though he weighed nothing.

It leered over Galdin.  He brought up his sword and swiped at the niht'anda's claw while rolling away.  Quickly, he leapt to his feet and faced the solitary creature.  The niht'anda rushed toward him ripping up dirt and plants as it went.  Galdin jumped out of the way twisting around to strike at the creature's face.  As he did so, something struck his wrist forcing him to drop his weapon.  Defenseless, Galdin crouched low on the ground waiting for the creature's next attack.

A streak of orange fur shot from the thicket landing on the niht'anda's face screeching and clawing at it.  At the same instant, three men burst from the trees armed and ready to face the niht'anda.  One tossed Galdin a sword.

The boy with them clanged two pots together to cause a raucous noise as he danced around taunting the creature.  The niht'anda kept its eyes on the boy seemingly confused by his antics. 

"Don't just stand there," yelled the boy.

Within seconds Galdin realized that he knew two of the three people: Ryk and Narúl.  Ryk charged the niht'anda catching it in the armpit.  The thing roared in anger as it swatted at him.  Barely dodging the blow, Ryk dove to the ground and scurried beneath the creature's belly toward the other side.

Galdin and Narúl charged the niht'anda together each swinging their weapons.  The niht'anda whirled around to face them, its tail slashing toward Artryl who ducked just in time.  Galdin fell to his back on the ground holding his weapon pointed up so that it stabbed the claw that reached for him.  The creature yanked it back just as Narúl slashed at the thing's throat causing black blood to cover them.

"You have to strike the small of its back," yelled Artryl.

"Spear," shouted Ryk.

Narúl tossed Ryk a spear just as the man leapt for the niht'anda's back grasping one of the protruding spikes.  The creature thrashed around to shake Ryk off.  Trog snatched the chain around the niht'anda's neck forcing the creature to hunker on the ground.  Using this advantage, Ryk raised the spear and plunged it in the exact spot that Artryl had pointed to.  The niht'anda jerked and went limp.

Galdin ran to Tami who had begun to move.  "Are you alright?"

"I'll be fine," said Tami, "What was that thing?"

"A niht'anda," said Artryl.

"Artryl," came Narúl's voice, "What were you thinking doing that?"

"Distracting it," replied Artryl, "And it worked."

Galdin looked around at all of them.  "It appears you found me after all."

"Not that you made it easy," said Tabs.  "We had to follow this thing—" he pointed at the dead niht'anda, "—to find you."

"We should leave," said Narúl as he cleaned his blade, "This thing is obviously someone's pet.  And I have no desire to meet the owner."

"We are heading south," said Galdin, "We still have a ways to go before MurDair and now we will have to take an alternate route because of this thing.  Those who controlled it can't be far."

Tami hopped from one foot to the other.  "I know how we can get there."

"How?" asked Artryl.

"Teleportation," exclaimed Tami.

"No one can teleport," said Narúl.

"I can," said Tami jumping up and down with excitement.

"If you can why didn't you mention this earlier?" demanded Galdin.

"Because I wasn't very good at it then, but I've been practicing every night while you slept," replied Tami.  "It's easy!"

The others just stared at her with doubtful expressions.

"I'll prove it to you," said Tami, "Fairies do this all the time.  How do you think we are able to travel so far?"

"But you're just half a fairy," said Galdin.

Tami glared at him.  She muttered words in the ancient language of the fairies.  Swirls of light circled around her increasing in speed until it all stopped releasing a loud pop.

"Where'd she go?" asked Ryk.

They all looked around, but found no one.  The rustling of a bush caught their attention as Tami spilled out from behind it landing on her behind.  She lifted up her right leg which missed its foot. 

"Blast it," she muttered, "I always seem to forget that last part.  Have you guys seen my foot?"

"Foot?" said Galdin.

"Yes, my foot," said Tami, "Tends to happen sometimes.  It's around here somewhere, just find it."

They searched for Tami's missing foot.  Narúl, who rarely cracked a smile, laughed uncontrollably.  Galdin's toes brushed something.  Reaching down, he picked up Tami's detached foot which was still nestled in its shoe.

"That's it," exclaimed Tami, "Toss it here."

With a disgusted look on his face, Galdin threw the foot to Tami who caught it with both hands.  Tabs placed both his paws over his mouth in a vain attempt to control his laughter.

"There's this bit at the end of the spell that I keep forgetting to say," Tami rammed her foot back onto her leg.  It snapped into place.  "Ah, there.  Much better." 

She stood up and placed her weight onto her foot rocking back and forth testing it.  "Anyway, as you saw the spell works."

"If you don't mind losing a foot," chortled Tabs waving his tail back and forth.

"Doesn't that hurt?" asked Ryk.

Tami glanced at her foot for a moment.  "No, not really.  After a while you get used to it.  Just pop it back in place and off you go."

Narúl snorted as more laughter squeaked out.

"You can get us there?" asked Galdin.

"Oh, yes, I can," said Tami, "Just everyone hold hands."

The others looked to one another.

"Come on.  Don't be shy," Tami waved them together.  "Now, how did that go?  Oh, yes, that's right.  Hold on really tight and don't lose anything."

Artryl rolled his eyes at that last comment.

Tami muttered words in the ancient language of the fairies; which had not been heard for many centuries.  Wind swirled around them picking up sticks and leaves from the ground.  Faster and faster it blew until they were in the midst of a mini cyclone.  With a loud—pop!—they had gone.

Frigid winds beat against them as snow whirled around and they appeared from thin air.  The thin atmosphere immediately took a toll on their lungs.

"This doesn't look like MurDair," yelled Galdin over the wailing wind.

"I think something went wrong," Tami said.

"Went wrong?" blurted out Ryk, "Of course something went wrong!  We're on the top of a mountain!"

"I have icicles in my fur," shivered Tabs.  "Look!"  He lifted his tail as chunks of ice hung from it.

Narúl lifted the feline from the semisolid snow and cradled him in his arms as Trog nestled close to his leg.

"Th—thank you," stuttered Tabs.

Trog whined.

"Just let me think," said Tami.  She mumbled to herself as she tried to remember the words that had brought them there.  Ice pellets pricked their skin as the wind beat against them.

"We haven't much time before we freeze to death," said Galdin.

"I think I got it," said Tami, "Everyone hold hands again."

They all took one another's hand.

"Kali'mar sayd nokta," Tam yelled.

A loud crack echoed as they left the snow covered mountain.

A sonic boom echoed through the trees as a rag tag group of people and animals appeared from nowhere.  They collapsed to the ground from exhaustion relieved to be away from the storm that raged in the mountains.

"I'm alive," yelled Tabs with exuberation as he kissed the soft grass.

Galdin chuckled to himself at the cat's antics.  Suddenly, he found himself looking into the red eyes of a Nὅk'ta.  All his will left him and the others.

Tami managed to wiggle her fingers as she willed herself to move.  Slowly, she inched her hand away from her side.  A deep growl resonated near her as Trog scrunched his features into a snarl.  The Nὅk'ta ignored him.  Crouching low, Trog lunged for the creature clamping his jaws around its throat.

Freed, Tami dropped to the ground and snatched a fallen branch, bringing it up in time to clonk a second Nὅk'ta in the head.  Two more stepped into the sunlight. 

"Help me," Tami said to nothing in particular.

A nearby bush wiggled.  It sprang from the ground sprouting feet and arms.  Its leaves and branches twisted around one another forming a head and a body.  The bush stomped across the ground toward the two Nὅk'ta sweeping them up in its hands and banged the two creatures together until they went limp.  The bush creature noticed Narúl with his sword.  It sprang for the man.

Instantly, Tami threw herself in front of Narúl throwing up her arms.  "No!"

The bush thing stared at her with confusion.

"He is my friend," said Tami.

The bush creature stepped back.

"Are there anymore of those things?" asked Tami.

"No," said Galdin.

"Thank you," Tami said to the bush creature, "We don't need you anymore."

The bush thing bowed to Tami and walked back to where it had been.  Snapping and creaking filled the air as it unwound itself, shrunk in size, and turned back into a normal shrub.

"How did you do that?" asked Ryk, "And what was that thing?"

Tami fiddled with her red curls trying to avoid answering the question.

"Tami," Ryk insisted.

"I don't know," she blurted out.  "I've no idea what happened.  Ever since I was a little girl, I've been able to get plants to do my bidding—to a point.

"My mother was a fairy.  She took my father as a mate, something that is practically unheard of among the fairies.  When I was born, she left the fairies and she and my father moved to a small village.  We were happy, but I have never been accepted among people.  They are always suspicious of fairies and hate Halflings most of all.

"Does that answer your question?" Tami spat at Ryk before marching away in a fury, emotions reeling within her.

Galdin smacked Ryk atop the head giving him a scolding look.  Tami had told him before that she was half fairy, but he never realized that such a fact held terrible memories.

Narúl picked a violet lily from the ground and handed it to Tami who tried to wipe the tears from her face.  "Half fairy, half human.  My people called your kind la'kofka.  It means, gifted one.  They believe that to meet one such as you is an honor."

Tami took the lily and smiled.  "I wish everyone could be as enlightened as your people."

"Do not make such foolhardy sentiments," warned Narúl, "They were the very ones that sold me as a slave."

"How did you end up here?" asked Tami.

"My new master came here.  When I tried to escape he died along with two others.  So I was brought before the king as a murderer for which the penalty is death.  The Princess Nylana convinced her father to spare me that day."

"That is why you serve her," said Tami.

Galdin stood in the distance with the others listening intently.  He had never understood the relationship between his sister and Narúl; he only knew of the man's fierce loyalty to her.  This explains everything.

"Part of it," said Narúl, "She was but a small child then.  But she showed great courage that day.  Her act did more than just spare me from execution; she showed me a better way to live."

"I'm hungry," Tabs blurted out.

Artryl stifled a giggle as the cat's comment broke the tension.

"I can sing it if you like," said Tabs as he looked at all the stares pointed his way.  "My tummy growls from—MEORR!" 

Ryk had lightly kicked the cat to shut him up.  "I suggest we get out of here before more of those things show up."

"Agreed," said Galdin, "We still have a ways to go before we reach the northern border of MurDair.  I only hope we reach it before Nylana does." 

"We can tele—" began Tami.

"No," said Galdin as he started off before Artryl stopped him.

"Not that way," said the boy, "I know a better way.  It is shorter and safer.  And we might be able to find lodging."

"Lead the way," said Galdin.

By sunset they had come upon the abandoned cabin that Artryl led them to.  The rusty hinges squeaked as they opened the unlocked door.  Narúl set up a fire in the fireplace while Galdin trapped small game.  They ate a meager meal in silence, satisfying their stomachs.

Galdin had the most difficult time eating.  He set his plate to the side only to hear it rattle as Tabs snatched a tidbit.  Quickly, Galdin picked it up and glared at the innocent looking cat.  His plate jostled again as Trog grabbed a piece of meat.  Instantly, Galdin held it up high over his head.  "Now listen you two.  This is my supper."

Trog whined and Tabs purred as each looked at him with wide, hopeful expressions.

Finding it difficult to refuse them, Galdin placed his plate on the floor.  "Oh, have at it.  I wasn't hungry anyway."

"We will leave before dawn," said Narúl when they had finished eating, "I will take first watch."  He glanced at Tami who had already fallen asleep on the lopsided cot.  Taking note of her shivering, Narúl snatched Ryk's coat and wrapped it around her.

"Just help yourself," Ryk commented.

"You should sleep too," he said to Artryl. 

"I'm not at all tired," yawned Artryl.  "I can stand watch with you."

Narúl pointed to a small pile of hay in answer.  "Take this," he handed the boy his cloak.  "The night's chill does not affect me."

"But you'll—"

"Take it," Narúl insisted.

Artryl obeyed, stretching out on the hay with Narúl's cloak and falling asleep instantly.

"What is your interest in my sister?" Galdin asked once he was certain Tami and Artryl slept soundly.

Ryk glanced at both Galdin and Narúl as they awaited his answer.  "Can we not discuss this while he cleans his fingernails with a knife?"  Ryk pointed in Narúl's direction.

"Answer me honestly," said Galdin.

"I don't know if I can put it into words," answered Ryk.  "From the moment I first saw her, I knew she was the one I wished to marry."

Narúl snorted.

"No, truly, I mean it," Ryk insisted.

"You say that because she is the Princess of Tesnayr," said Narúl.

"I did not know that at the time," said Ryk.  "And after I learned of her true identity, it did not matter.  I don't care whether she lives in a palace or a small cottage.  I only care about her."

"Is that why you followed after us when we left Norlyk?" Galdin asked.

"Partly," said Ryk, "When I heard her speaking of leaving for Belyndril, I knew I had to come.  Her cares are my cares."

"You don't even know her," said Narúl.

"No?" said Ryk, "I know that she cares deeply for the safety and security of the five lands of Tesnayr.  I know that she will give anything to save them from this barbarian invasion.  I know the respect she has for you, Narúl.  The love she has for Krispyn.  And I know the pain she carries for losing you Galdin; I see it in her eyes each time she looks at you.  Are you certain that it is I who does not know her?

"And what of you, Galdin.  Why is it you followed her to Belyndril?"

Galdin looked out the grimy window at the almost full moon.  Why did I follow her?  "I'm not sure I can answer that."  He eyed both Ryk and Narúl.  "You better get out there," he said to Narúl.

Narúl's mouth formed a thin line as he stepped out the door and took first watch.

Both Ryk and Galdin gave each other a passing glance as Ryk settled in a far corner.  Galdin peered over at Tabs who lay curled by the fire; his ears pointed in their direction.

"I know you're not sleeping," Galdin said to the cat.

Immediately, a series of snores escaped the feline as he twitched his tail.

*                  *                  *

The open valleys of MurDair provided little cover from possible attacks.  Nylana and Trya kept a wary eye on their surroundings hoping that they could get through without any mishap.  Sparse trees dotted the landscape reminding them that they would reenter the woods again sometime.

Nylana halted everyone.  They had reached the meeting place, but there was no sign of Galdin or the others.

"What is it?" asked Valn.

"He is not here," replied Nylana, "Galdin should have been here."

A rustling noise sounded next to them.  Instantly, Trya crouched in a defensive stance; her bow ready to fire.

Tami popped from behind some bushes.  "Oh my," she threw her hands up.

"Don't shoot," said Galdin as he appeared between Tami and Trya.

Trya lowered her bow; a smile crept across her face.  "Galdin, it is good to see you." 

Elf and man embraced each other for a moment glad to be reunited.  Narúl and Ryk walked out followed by Artryl and Trog.  Immediately, Nylana ran up to Narúl and gave him a giant hug overjoyed at seeing him again.  She even embraced Ryk for a moment much to his surprise, and pleasure.  Galdin coughed loudly to break them apart. 

"Artryl?" said Nylana when she noticed the boy, "What are you doing here?"

"The boy has a head of stone," said Narúl in response.

Tabs spilled from behind a rock rolling across the ground ignoring everyone.  "United we are.  Together again," sang the cat.

"Trya," said Nylana, "You and Narúl find some food.  We will rest here tonight.  In the morning we shall take these people to a small town just outside the dwarf city of D'aar.  They should be safe there."

Trya bowed and led Narúl away to a place she had noticed earlier would be good for game.

"Nylana," Galdin motioned for Nylana to follow him.  "Who are these people?" he asked when they were out of earshot.

"Trya and I freed them from a group of invaders.  Their home is destroyed but I know a place where they will be safe.  I am taking them there.  Afterward, we will head to D'aar."

"But we haven't time for any detours.  The barbarians are moving quickly led by Vasagius."

Nylana's face twitched in anger.  "Vasagius," she hissed.

"Yes, and he is wasting no time in conquering the land.  His men burn as they go destroying everything and leaving no survivors, except for ones they wish to sell."

"Then that's all the more reason to take these people to safety.  The place we are going is well protected," said Nylana.

"There is no time," hissed Galdin.  "You said yourself that reaching Lord Belznyc was of utmost importance.  We've wasted enough time allowing you to search for that thing."

Nylana's face hardened.  "It wasn't a waste," she said, her voice cold, "I found it."  Delicately, Nylana pulled out the gold feather.  Galdin took it holding it in the fading light awed by its brilliance.

"What is it for?" he asked.

"I do not know, yet," said Nylana, "But I do know that I made a promise to these people and will not abandon it."

"They can protect themselves," said Galdin, "We have more important matters—"

Nylana punched him with a force that knocked him off his feet.  "You sound like that heartless mercenary I found a while ago.  If that is who you are then you are no better than Vasagius."

"Why do you care so much?"

"Why do you not care?"  Nylana started to walk away before rounding on Galdin again, "I am the Lady Nylana, Princess of Tesnayr.  It is my duty and responsibility to protect these people from invading savages.  Until there is peace again they will be unable to protect themselves.  And if you wish to remain as Prince of Tesnayr, then you better learn that for yourself!

"I have made my decision.  In the morning we take them to the town, then, we go to D'aar.  If that displeases you, then leave."

Nylana stormed away.  Galdin watched her go, his mind whirling with conflicting emotions.  He did not wish to abandon his sister, but still found it difficult to care for a people he hardly knew.  "Yet, why do I stay?" he asked himself.

Galdin trailed after Nylana watching her as she soothed a pair of frightened boys who had lost their parents.  The ragged group of forlorn faces stared at him as he walked among them.  Despair mixed with fear, filled their eyes

Leaves scraped the ground brushing over the tops of his boots as the wind blew around him. Only he seemed to be aware of it.  The mark on his arm glowed slightly.

"Help her bring hope," whispered a masculine voice that only he heard.

Galdin whipped around turning in circles; searching for the source of the voice.  People moved about their business setting up places to sleep and eat.

"Galdin," said Trya as she returned.

"Did you hear that?" asked Galdin.

"Hear what?"

"The wind—it spoke."

"I may make an elf out of you, yet," said Trya, "Come along.  You can help me prepare supper."

A weight suddenly clung to Galdin's calf when he tried to move.  He looked down to find a girl of about six clinging to him.  She stared at him with saucer like eyes.  Unable to ignore her pleading look, Galdin unwrapped her from around his leg and knelt down so that he was eye level with her.

"I can't find papa," she cried.

Heart melting, Galdin placed her on his knee and wiped the tear from her cheek.  "Where did you see him last?"

"Home," said the girl.

"You will be home in the morning."

"But that isn't home," said the girl shaking her head.  "I live further south.  Mommy and I were visiting her brother when those men came."

"Where is your mother?" asked Galdin.

The girl looked at her feet.

"Your uncle?"

She continued staring at her feet.

Realizing that the child was alone, Galdin carried her with him to the fire that had been started.  "Do you know where your papa lives?"

Eagerly, the girl nodded her head grinning broadly.  "I can take you there."

"Then once we take these people home, we will find your papa."

The girl hugged his neck and burrowed her head into his shoulder.  "Do you have a name?" he asked the girl.

"Mira," came her quiet reply.

Galdin noticed Ryk staring at him.  He glared at him to remain silent.

"Softy," mumbled Magi as she sat beside him.  "I knew that tough exterior of yours was just an act."

"I think the cat talks too much," said Galdin.

Purring filled the space beside him as Magi closed her eyes.

By late afternoon that next day they entered a small town.  Tears of joy were shared as those originally from there reunited with loved ones.  Others just stood awkwardly unsure of what to do.  This wasn't their home, but they had nowhere else to go.

"Silence!  Silence," said the leader of the town as he approached Nylana.  "What is all this?"

"My good sir," said Nylana inclining her head towards him, "These people are refugees and need a place to stay until the barbarian invaders have been eliminated from our land."

"But we can barely feed ourselves," said the man.

"Can you not find a way?" asked Nylana.

The man glanced at the pitiful faces before him.

"Your town is well protected," continued Nylana, "There is nowhere else for them to go."

Suddenly, the man realized to whom he spoke.  "My lady, forgive me.  I did not realize."

"Can you take them in or not?" asked Nylana.

"Yes, yes.  We will find a way."  The man motioned for the people to come into the town and find a place to rest.  "As always, my lady, you are most welcome here.  Will you not rest?"

Nylana shook her head.  "My apologies, but no.  We must reach D'aar and if we leave now we can be there before nightfall.  Your kindness shall be repaid."

"Thank you, my lady," said the man.

Nylana turned.  Trya noticed Galdin still holding Mira.  "Galdin?" questioned the elf.

"Her home lies just a little south of D'aar.  It will not be too much out of our way to take her there."

Nylana studied Galdin a moment before continuing on.

"Did I miss something?" asked Ryk noting the exchange.

Artryl laughed as he walked by.  "You did."

  Tune back Next Friday for the next chapter.

You can buy this book and the rest of the Legends Lost series at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, iBooks, and Smashwords. You can follow me on Twitter (JMRUL), or like my Facebook page. For more information, see www.legendslosttrilogy.com. Your support is appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 145 40
Through thick and thin the Law shall prevail. A new sense of purpose awaits us, children of light, in the land where it all began. The darkness in wh...
881 59 50
Amborese thought she was a peasant's daughter until one night dark creatures murdered her parents and pursued her into the forest. Saved by a talking...
3.1K 67 17
Tropes: Childhood friends to lovers, Soulmates, Twin Flames, she falls first but he falls harder (or is that the case . . .), you complete me, Tragi...
183K 11.5K 36
Alera lost her mother early in life and was raised by a strict king for a father and the many nursemaids who crossed themselves before touching her...