Legends Lost: Galdin

By JanetMcNulty

When darkness looms And all is gloom Two will rise Bearing the mark combined. One, the phoenix dwells within ... More

Legends Lost: Galdin (Prologue)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter 1)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter II)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter III)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter IV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter V)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter VI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter VII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book1, Chapter VIII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter IX)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book1, Chapter X)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XIII)
Legends Lost: Gladin (Book 1, Chapter XI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter IV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XVI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XVIII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XIX)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter 1)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter II)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter III)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter IV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter V)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter VI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter VII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter VIII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter IX)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter X)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapte XI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter XII))
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter XIII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book3, Chapter I)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book3, Chapter II)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter III)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter IV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter V)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter VI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book, Chapter VII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter VIII))
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book, Chapter IX)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter X)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XIII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XIV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XVI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XVII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XVIII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book, Chapter XIX)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XX)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Epilogue)

Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XVII)

126 6 0
By JanetMcNulty

Note: This is the 17th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday. But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.

Chapter XVII

Leaving Norlyk

Galdin stood in the window staring out at the gloomy dusk settling over Norlyk. He remembered the city. He recalled coming here with his mother one day as a child to assist her in selling her quilts.

How the city has changed, he thought to himself. It seemed less robust. The five lands had changed. He noticed it upon his return from Pras'quel. Never before had he cared. Why do I care now?

One answer: Nylana.

Her insistence that he claim his birthright forced him to stay in the city. Her insistence that he remain forced him to see the five lands in a new light. Nylana's love for her people gnawed at him.

A drizzling rain beat against the window lulling him with a soft tapping on the glass. Movement below caught his attention. Galdin peered more closely and noticed Trya strolling to the stables. What was she up to? He did not remember the elf telling him about her intentions to accompany Nylana.

He felt the urge to rush to the courtyard to learn what his friend was up to. Galdin reached for his cloak to find it missing.

"Going somewhere?" said a silky voice.

Galdin whipped around.

Quesha stood erect in the room facing him; his cloak in her hands. "I thought you had decided to leave Norlyk. Then you decided to remain and not accompany your sister to Belyndril. Now it appears that you have changed your mind once again."

"What business is it of yours?" spat Galdin, annoyed.

"None really," replied Quesha, "But then again, it is my business."

"I don't see how."

"The lands of Tesnayr are my business. You are the crown prince; the first born son. So that makes you my business."

"What do you want?"

"The real question, Galdin, is: What do you want? You have spent your life as a mercenary. Always selling your services to the highest bidder. It worked for a time. Until now.

"But life has a way of dealing out indecision. One day you are working for a wealthy lord of Pras'quel and the next you free a slave girl owned by the same lord. A girl who turns out to be your sister. Oh, and what a twist that she is the Princess of Tesnayr. Why did you rescue her that day?"

Galdin thought for a moment. He hadn't truly thought about it since. "I don't know really. I just felt I had to."

"Had to?"

"Look, if that stupid phoenix hadn't shown up I never would have noticed her."

"The phoenix," whispered Quesha as she meandered through the room, "How very interesting. Such coincidence."

"What is your interest in all this?" demanded Galdin.

"I am asked that question every time I appear. Amborese asked me that once. Do you know what I told her?"

"What?"

"The same thing I tell everyone: I have my reasons."

"You and your games. Tell me why you have come or get out."

"You are much like Tesnayr," said Quesha, "He never liked my mistress when she appeared to him. Very well. I am here to prevent you from making a grave mistake."

"And what mistake might that be?"

"The mistake of doing nothing," said Quesha. "You have always been satisfied to watch the world do away with itself. But now you have a responsibility. What will you do with it?"

"I'll not discuss this with you."

"One day, Galdin, you will have to make a choice. You must decide what sort of man you wish to be." Quesha peeked out the window. "Oh, your friend Trya has three horses saddled and ready. My guess is that not a one of them is for you."

Galdin eyed the sorceress. He disliked her immensely. He glanced out the window hurt that Trya had not told him she was leaving. Or had she and he hadn't listened?

"It eats away at you doesn't it?" said Quesha, watching him, "That conflict within. You wish to continue as you always have. It's familiar. It's easier. But something deep inside picks at you, and reminds you that you are more than what you have become. Urging you to leap forward and do the unexpected. If you are not careful, it will destroy you."

"What should I do?"

"Only you can decide that," said Quesha as she stepped away. "Though, Nylana is still in her room packing. It will take her at least an hour to finish as a few of her things have mysteriously disappeared. That gives you enough time to make your way to the stables and saddle a horse."

"But barely enough to pack myself."

"You think so?" Quesha tossed a heavy bag to Galdin. He caught it marveling at its weight. "I took the liberty of packing for you. Hope you don't mind."

Galdin strapped the bag to his shoulders. "I am not fit for the throne."

Quesha smiled one of her all-knowing smiles. "You, Galdin, are far more worthy of the throne than others. You are heir to a throne that you will never sit upon. But there are other ways to save the five lands."

Galdin stared at Quesha a moment before moving towards the door.

"Galdin," said Quesha, "You might want this. It's a little wet outside." The sorceress threw him his cloak.

Nylana placed the last bits of wrapped food into her pack. After learning of Belyndril's demise, she decided to leave immediately. Petra had tried to talk her out of it. She refused to listen. Something had changed in the lands of Tesnayr.

In the early hours of the morning, she met Narúl at the stables. "I believe we will not be going alone," he said.

Nylana charged inside to find Galdin and Trya waiting with four saddled horses. "What's this?"

"We are coming with you," said Galdin.

"You need to stay here. As the possible heir to the throne, you should remain and-"

"As the possible heir to the throne it is my duty to learn what ails the land. And as I have not been recompensed for returning you safely, I figure that means you are still my charge."

"But-" began Nylana.

"We are wasting time," finished Galdin.

Relenting, Nylana mounted her horse. "Fine. But it is my command we will obey. Understood?"

"I would never dream of arguing with you," said Galdin.

They rode outside to find Ryk seated upon a horse waiting impatiently.

"What's this?" asked Nylana.

"Did you think that I would allow you to go so easily?" replied Ryk. "I love you, my lady, and wish to marry you."

Aggravated, Nylana steered her horse past him mumbling under her breath.

Galdin, rode up to Ryk and smacked him on the back of the head.

"Hey!" said Ryk. "I thought it was a good proposal."

"The only way you will marry Nylana is if I don't kill you first," whispered Narúl to Ryk.

"You're joking, right?" said Ryk as he followed the others. "You wouldn't really kill me, would you?"

Narúl and the others remained silent as they left the palace grounds.

Above them, Artryl leaned over the stone wall as he watched them leave. He rushed to the barracks where the other boys slept. Without wasting any time, Artryl tossed a bag onto his bed and shoved items into it. He wrapped a cloak around his shoulders before dashing to the stables. This time, no one was going to stop him.

By midafternoon the rain had stopped and the sun poked through the clouds drying everything. The light reflected off of the few drops left behind creating miniature rainbows. The plains sparkled brilliantly from the moisture that remained on the grass.

"What do you keep looking at?" Galdin demanded of Ryk who had spent the last five minutes glancing behind them.

"Nothing-it's just-"

"Just what?"

"I think that rock is moving," said Ryk, "I mean, it seems to be following us."

Everyone looked where Ryk pointed. None of them noticed anything.

"I'm telling you," insisted Ryk, "That rock is following us."

"Are you certain?" asked Nylana.

"You believe him?" said Galdin.

"Well, yes," replied Nylana, "The last time he saw a rock move it turned out to be-"

At that instant the rock that Ryk had been watching unfolded.

"Trog," exclaimed Nylana.

"It can't be," said Galdin.

"But it is him," said Nylana as Trog rolled on his back wagging his tail.

"Impossible," said Ryk, "The only way that thing could cross the ocean is if he can...fly."

A pair of wings peeled away from Trog's back as he stretched them out for all to see. He flapped them wildly tipping over from the exertion.

"You mean to tell me he followed us here?" said Galdin.

"He must have," said Nylana.

Trog noticed Galdin. Instantly, the animal leapt at the man knocking him off his horse. Galdin landed with a thump on his back as Trog stood on his chest licking his face until slime covered it.

"I think he followed you," said Trya.

"That is just disgusting," said a muffled voice from Nylana's saddlebag.

Nylana lifted the flap revealing a cat. "Magi!"

"Yes, it's me."

"You-you talk!"

"Of course I talk," said Magi, "Always have. I just never had a reason to reveal it until now. Now let's get going. We're wasting valuable time. And get rid of that thing." Magi pointed her tail at Trog whose face fell as he slumped to the ground.

"How many more are we going to attract on this trip?" demanded Galdin as he wiped the slobber off his face.

"I don't think you'll find anyone else," said a voice from his saddlebag.

Galdin peeked inside. Tabs' head popped up as he blinked in the sunlight.

"Hello everyone," said Tabs, "That was a wonderful nap. Everyone should take naps. I'm famished. What's to," Tabs noticed his surroundings for the first time, "eat? Where are we?"

"In the Azul Plains, you idiot," said Magi. "What are you doing here?"

"Don't know," replied Tabs, "Last thing I remember was looking for a nice place to curl up."

"And you chose my bag?" asked Galdin.

"It was comfy," said Tabs. "Well, you can just take me back to the palace and I'll be on my way."

Growing tired of the delay, Nylana jumped back on her horse. "We've wasted enough time. Come on. The quicker we reach Belyndril, the quicker we can solve the problem of the barbarians."

"Belyndril?" said Tabs, "I don't want to-"

"Too bad," said Nylana, "Next time, be more careful about where you choose to sleep."

"Is she always like this?" said Tabs as Narúl passed by.

"Yes," answered Narúl.

Tune back Next Friday for the next chapter.

You can buy this book and the rest of the Legends Lost series at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, iBooks, and Smashwords. You can follow me on Twitter (JMRUL), or like my Facebook page. For more information, see www.legendslosttrilogy.com. Your support is appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

105K 1.4K 12
Only the first 10 chapters are open.. NOW ON AMAZON! PLEASE BE SURE TO CHECK IT OUT AND SHOW ME SOME LOVE! COULDN'T HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT EACH AND EVE...
105 13 6
Nymeria Verne has always loved fantasy books. She loves the mystical lands, the fantastical creatures, the happy fairy tale endings...but what she lo...
108K 10.6K 62
ETERNAL SORROWS SERIES, BOOK 2!!!! If you are new to this story, read Death's Awakening first!! It's completed here on Wattpad! https://www.wattpad...
32.1K 2.8K 122
Once upon a time, a wise Queen predicted that after millennia of peace, the evils she had once fought to vanquish would come back to seek vengeance...