Legends Lost: Galdin

JanetMcNulty tarafından

When darkness looms And all is gloom Two will rise Bearing the mark combined. One, the phoenix dwells within ... Daha Fazla

Legends Lost: Galdin (Prologue)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter 1)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter II)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter III)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter IV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter V)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter VI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter VII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book1, Chapter VIII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter IX)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book1, Chapter X)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XIII)
Legends Lost: Gladin (Book 1, Chapter XI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter IV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XVI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XVII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XVIII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XIX)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter 1)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter II)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter III)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter IV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter V)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter VI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter VII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter VIII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter IX)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter X)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapte XI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter XII))
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter XIII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book3, Chapter I)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book3, Chapter II)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter III)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter IV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter V)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter VI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book, Chapter VII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter VIII))
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book, Chapter IX)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter X)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XIII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XIV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XVI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XVII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XVIII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book, Chapter XIX)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XX)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Epilogue)

Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XII)

140 8 0
JanetMcNulty tarafından

Note: This is the 12th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday. But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.

Chapter XII

Passage to Tesnayr

"How much?" asked Galdin.

"100 gold coins for passage," replied Trya.

"We haven't enough," said Galdin. "If only we had managed to get more for the horse." An exasperated sigh escaped him. He eyed the people around them.

Ryk smiled deviously as a plan formed in his mind. He snatched a cloak from one of the nearby vendors and wrapped it around Nylana, ripping sections of it into jagged pieces. "Come with me," he said dragging her with him. "You two stay there," he told the others.

Ryk steered Nylana down the street to a merchant who was buying fruit. "Follow my lead," he whispered to Nylana, "Do not speak unless spoken to. Keep your head down and your face hidden."

The richly dressed merchant paid no attention to them as they walked past. Ryk stealthily snuck up to the merchant's stock of supplies. He snatched a crate of apples. Nylana opened her mouth to protest, but Ryk had shoved the apples in her hands and pushed her in front of the merchant.

"Why hello, my good sir," greeted Ryk silkily. "Might you be a merchant of the north?"

"I am," came the merchant's deep voice.

"Might I interest you in some of our apples? My wife and I have a small plot of land far from here, but the soil is rich. Here, judge for yourself," said Ryk.

Nylana placed the crate of apples in front of the merchant, biting her tongue to keep quiet.

"They have a good color," mused the merchant. He picked up a few apples inspecting their freshness. "Very similar to a bunch I purchased earlier this morning."

Sweat poured down Nylana's face. She was certain that their ruse would be discovered. Ryk continued unfazed. Clearly, he's done this before, she thought.

"They are crisp and sweet. Try one if you must," said Ryk.

"No. No, that will not be necessary," said the merchant. "I can see that they are good apples. How much do you want for them?"

"200 gold coins," said Ryk.

Nylana nearly dropped the crate.

"200! That is a steep price."

"It may seem so," said Ryk, "But we have traveled far and this has been the first good year in a long while."

The merchant stroked his curly beard. He eyed Nylana and the tattered cloak she wore. Her bony features poked through. "100 gold coins."

"175."

"125."

"150," countered Ryk.

The merchant fingered his purse. He had never paid so much for anything. But the apples were good and would sell well in his country. "150 it is," he said. He waved a servant over to take the crate from Nylana.

Ryk shook the merchant's hand and collected the money.

"A little extra for your wife. Buy her a new cloak," said the merchant giving Ryk a few extra coins.

"Thank you, my good sir," said Ryk, "Your kindness is most appreciated. Come, my darling."

Ryk wrapped his arm around Nylana's waist and led her back to where Galdin and Trya stood watching from a distance. Galdin bore a grave expression while Trya suppressed a smile.

"I shudder to think of what will happen when he finds out," said Nylana.

"Doesn't matter. We will be long gone," replied Ryk.

"Perhaps I should leave you behind."

"My lady, vengeance does not become you."

"How much did you get?" asked Galdin.

"150 gold coins. Enough to barter passage on the ship and a little extra for food," said Ryk.

Trya grabbed the coins from Ryk. "I'll take those," she said before he could protest.

The elf walked over to the ticket master, handed over the coins, and came back with four tickets. She gave one to each of them. "Let's move."

They walked up the plank to the ship with the crowd unaware that a cloaked figure watched them. He slipped in behind, following the line of people boarding the ship.

"Tickets," said the man standing guard at the top.

They handed over their tickets. The man waved them on board. Gradually, the four companions worked their way to a secluded area near the back of the boat to bunk down until the ship set sail.

"Hoist the sails," shouted the captain, checking the onboard sundial.

Crewmen scurried about carrying out his orders. Others brought up the anchor. As the activity continued, the ship lurched slightly moving slowly away from the dock and into the open water.

"Let's go below," said Galdin. "Remember, we wish to go unnoticed."

Nylana grunted. Did he think they were idiots? The last thing any of them wanted was to draw attention.

The cargo hold below deck reeked of unwashed passengers, urine and rotten food. Raucous laughter and flat music pounded their ears. Men dressed in dark leather passed the time by arm wrestling each other spilling half-full containers of mead. One man in front, and clearly the leader, pounded the table with his fist while talking with another.

Slowly, they wormed their way through the crowd toward a table that had some food and a barrel of mead. Nylana reached for a hard piece of flat bread.

"Hey pretty lady," said a man walking unstably on his feet. His stale breath told her that he had been drinking.

"Leave me alone," said Nylana.

"Oh, what are you going to do about it?" The man grabbed her wrist pulling her toward him.

Instantly, Nylana grabbed the man's hand wrenching his thumb back and freeing her wrist. She twisted his hand until something snapped.

"You wench," spat the man, "You broke my wrist."

"I told you to leave me be," said Nylana, coldly.

Another man lunged for her. Galdin snatched him from midair and slammed him against the wall. The music stopped. All eyes rested upon them as people drew near. So much for going unnoticed, thought Nylana.

The big man she had noticed earlier pushed his way through the crowd and to where they stood. "What goes on here?"

His gruff demeanor forced others to back away indicating that he was in charge.

"She broke my wrist," shouted the man that had accosted Nylana.

"I told him to leave me alone," said Nylana, "He refused."

"He was one of my best men," said the big man before her.

"We just want some food and quiet," said Nylana, "Why don't we part amicably."

"Not on my ship."

"This is not your ship," piped up Ryk.

"While I am here," said the man, "It is my ship. None of you will be granted food or drink on this voyage."

Galdin stepped forward with his hand on his sword. "You cannot keep us from eating."

The two closed the space between them. Reading their body language Nylana knew they were on the verge of fighting; something she did not want.

"How about a wager," she said.

"Wager?" Galdin and the burly man spoke at the same time.

"Yes," said Nylana. She pointed to a post on the far end with holes in it as though it had been used before as target practice. "You have knives. Let us use that wood over there. Whomever can line up three knives in a row in the top part of the board wins."

"And the wager?" asked the man.

"If you win, my companions and I will go to the boat deck and remain there the rest of the voyage. If we win, you and your associates will allow us food, drink, and leave us alone."

"Agreed," said the man. "Give the lady some knives."

"Now wait a minute," said Galdin, "You do not expect her to do it?"

"The woman and I will throw the knives. The wager was her idea."

Someone shoved three knives into Nylana's hands. The crowd parted, standing clear of the target. The burly man took his knives handling them expertly. He threw one. It flew through the air striking the top of the post. He threw the second and the third. Each knife lined up in a neat row in the top half of the vertical board. He turned to Nylana with a smug look on his face waving her forward.

"Your turn," he said.

Nylana took her position. From the jeers she received, she knew that no one expected her to make the target, convinced that she would fail. Nylana bounced the knife in her hand feeling its weight. Eyeing the target and calculating the force needed for the throw; she raised the dagger above her head and chucked it. In quick succession she threw the other two. Silence enveloped them. Each of her knives stuck in the handle of her opponent's blades.

The burly man gaped at her. "No one could ever do that."

"And yet I just did," said Nylana, "Now it is your turn to keep your end of the bargain."

"Never."

"Keep your part of the bargain, or let everyone here know that you are a man who breaks his word. How long do you think they will follow you after that?"

The man scanned the crowd as they eagerly watched him. Knowing he had been beaten, the man relented. "Give the lady and her friends some food and water."

"But she can't-" began one.

"I said give them food and water!" The husky man threw the other to the floor.

Gradually, the crowd thinned forming a path for the four companions to reach the area with the food and mead. They each took a plateful and settled in a secluded area of the boat.

* * *

Narúl strolled up to the ticket man on the dock. "Pardon me," he said warmly, "I am looking for a woman."

"The brothel is five buildings down that way," said the ticket master in a bored voice, turning away.

Not having time for such nonsense Narúl grabbed the man by the shoulders and held him out over the water. "I am looking for a specific woman," he said, "Just short of my height, foreign accent, and dark hair."

"That description fits many women around here," said the man struggling to get free.

"She is from Tesnayr."

The man's eyes opened wide as he remembered something. "There was a woman matching the description who boarded a ship headed for Tesnayr. But she did not travel alone."

"Who was she with?"

"Two men and a woman. The second woman seemed strange, rather tall for a woman and she kept her cloak up."

"The ship, where is it?"

"It set sail yesterday."

Frustrated, Narúl almost released his grip on the ticket master.

"But there is another headed to Tesnayr today. It leaves in five minutes. But you'll need a ticket to get aboard."

"Then give me one," hissed Narúl holding the man farther out over the water.

"Here! Here!" The ticket master held out a ticket to Narúl.

Narúl snatched it. He tossed the man aside and darted toward the ship barely making it aboard before it departed. Just missed her, he thought. He hoped he found her in time.

* * *

A cloaked figure crept along the boat deck of the ship as it rocked in the sea. He found the captain waiting for him. "Well," he said.

"She is aboard," said the captain, nervously.

"Good," hissed the cloaked figure. "I want you to ensure that she does not reach her destination."

"But she travels with companions."

"Then get rid of them all," snapped the cloaked figure. He tired of people's unwillingness to do what was necessary.

"Well, I could-"

"You could what?" Out stepped the man that Nylana had bested with knives. "Who are you, stranger?" he demanded of the cloaked figure.

"No one of consequence," the figure replied with an oily tone.

The muscular man glared at the shadowy figure displeased at the way the stranger kept his cloak closed and his face hidden. "Captain, I'm sure you have duties to attend."

The captain scurried away.

The man turned back to the cloaked figure. He disliked the woman he spoke of, but he hated this man even more. "This is my ship. You will leave that party alone. If anything happens to them, I'll know who to come looking for." He pushed his way past the cloaked figure. The burly man hated those who worked in secret; he always thought that one should openly confront their quarry, not plot in the safety of shadows.

Miffed, the cloaked figure stared after the husky man that had ended his plotting. No matter, he thought. He may not be able to accomplish his end aboard the ship, but there was always the dock.

* * *

"Why will they not listen to me?" demanded Krispyn of Petra.

"Perhaps it is the manner in which you ask them," answered the wizard. "The lords of Tesnayr are proud men and they each govern a sovereign land. Or have you forgotten that the King of Tesnayr is not an overlord who must always have his will obeyed, but a man who is to protect the five lands and keep them united?"

"I am aware of that."

"Are you? You demand the presence of the five lords, but what concessions have you made? My king, you have treated them like children, not men."

Krispyn turned to Petra. "What would you have me do?"

"Go to each of them. Your sister would have visited each of their realms and talked with them. Treat them with respect and they will be more open to your suggestions."

Krispyn listened to Petra's words. "I know that neither you nor the council ever liked my being crowned king. You all would have preferred my sister on the throne."

"What we wanted is of little consequence," said Petra, "The laws stated that you were to be crowned. And now that Nylana has gone missing, what difference does the rest make?"

"What indeed?" Krispyn stood in silence as he thought about his options. "I will take your advice into account. Thank you, Petra."

* * *

The ship pitched forward as a loud bang sounded against the side of the hull as a wave slammed into it waking Nylana. Thunder echoed all around the ship booming against the wood. She shook the others awake.

"What's wrong?" asked Ryk.

Another loud crack of thunder answered his question.

"Hurricane!"

Instantly, everyone jumped from their sleep and rushed about in a panic. A crewman ran into the cargo hold. "I need all able bodied men on the boat deck! If you can move and lift things, go above. Now!"

Nylana followed everyone out. Pushed and shoved about, she rushed to the boat deck only to be stopped by the massiveness of the storm. Lightning streaked the black sky giving life to the terrible storm that bore down upon them. The wind whipped around her knocking her off balance. Barely able to stand upright, she brought her arm up to protect her face from the pelting rain.

"Take this," said a crewman shoving rope into her hands. "Tie it around here. Tie it tight."

She took the rope obeying the command. Nylana hoped that she tied it well enough.

"Take down the sails," yelled the captain.

Men rushed about slipping on the wet deck. One sail was quickly brought down. Another refused to budge.

"Captain, the sail is caught!"

"Get a man up there to cut it loose," ordered the captain.

Galdin jumped onto the main rig and hoisted himself up. He knew where it had snagged. More lightning flashed. He held tightly to the soaked wood as his feet fought for a place to rest. He climbed upward ignoring the gales that tried to knock him down.

"Galdin!" yelled Nylana.

He didn't hear her over the roar of the storm.

"Secure the lines," the first mate screamed at Nylana. She immediately set about her task ignoring Galdin's efforts to reach the top of the sail. Her frozen hands refused to grasp the soggy rope in her attempts to tie a knot. The ship pitched again as a wave slammed into it forcing Nylana to hang on to a bar as her feet slid on the ice like surface of the deck.

Gradually, Galdin climbed upward. The blinding rain made the process difficult. His hand slipped. Swinging precariously as he held on with his other, Galdin reached up grabbing hold of the mast. Almost there, he thought. He lifted himself up higher. Finally reaching where the canvas had snagged, Galdin secured himself before pulling out his knife. He sawed at the material, his knife moving back and forth as he cut it loose.

The ship lurched again. Galdin dropped his knife and clung to the mast as his body flailed in the wind. Cursing, he grasped the sail and yanked hoping that he had cut it enough to be able to rip it free. Galdin pulled again. Lightning struck the surface of the ocean sending shocks of electricity everywhere. More thunder roared around him deafening him.

"Come on," shouted Galdin at the sail.

Finally, it pulled free.

"It's loose!"

Immediately, men at the bottom worked the lines tying down the canvas. Galdin slid down the pole. When he reached the bottom he found his knife sticking straight up stuck in a loose plank. He snatched it.

Suddenly, the wind stopped as the rain turned to a slow drizzle. Everyone looked about them wondering if the storm had ceased. No one moved.

"Is it over?" asked a young man of about eighteen.

"No," said Trya as she studied the night sky, "It is the eye of the storm. The calm before hell breaks free."

"What are you all standing there for?" roared the captain, "Tie yourselves down. Now! Secure the lines. Batten the hatches. It ain't over yet!"

Nylana looked about her confused like the rest of them. How could the storm end so suddenly? More lightning flashed in the sky revealing the mass of swirling clouds above. In that split second she realized that Trya was right. It hadn't ended.

Thunder boomed above them as streaks of lightning lit up the sky in a flurry of bursts. The ship lurched to the side.

"Tidal wave!"

Nylana turned in the direction of the sound. In the bits of lightning she saw a huge wall of water heading straight for them.

"Hang on!"

The wave crashed into the ship covering them and drowning everything. Men washed overboard as the boat was tossed about.

Nylana clung to a rail holding tightly. She never noticed the dark shape approaching her; reaching for her. Massive hands grabbed her pulling her free of the wood. Desperately, Nylana flung herself back to the bar she had been holding onto. The cloaked figure held tightly to her preventing her from finding safety. With a strength she had never known, the figure tossed her aside towards the edge of the ship.

The ship lurched again as another wave tore into it. Splintering wood filled the air as a rigging crashed into the deck of the boat. Knocked off balance, Nylana slid straight for the side of the ship. Her hands latched onto a loose rope. "Help me," she said to the cloaked figure.

A black boot reared up and smashed into her face forcing her to let go, tumbling into the treacherous water below.

"Nylana!" Galdin turned in time to see her disappear. He rushed to the side of the ship leaning far over. "Nylana!"

"You can't save her," said the first mate as he gripped Galdin's arm preventing him from jumping overboard. "No one can survive the water in this."

Galdin shook the man off. Again, he was prevented from jumping in as Trya put her arm out stopping him. She tied a rope around her waist handing the other end to Galdin. "Hold this."

Expertly, the elf leapt off the side of the ship and into the water below.

She plowed through the waves swimming straight for Nylana who splashed about in a vain attempt to keep her head above the surface. Moving with great speed and agility, Trya reached Nylana and grabbed on. Coughing, Nylana spat out the salty liquid as it choked her.

"Stop moving," ordered Trya.

Nylana obeyed.

Trya grasped the girl's shoulders holding her above the water. "Can you swim?"

"No," coughed Nylana.

"We'll have to remedy that."

Trya held on tightly with one arm while using the other to steer them back to the ship. Waves tossed them about. The rope pulled taut as those onboard yanked them toward the ship. Gradually, they drew nearer.

"Hold on to me," said Trya as her grip slipped.

Nylana clutched the elf tightly afraid of the water and of the storm.

Slowly, those on board heaved the two out of the raging water. Hands grabbed them hauling them onto the deck.

More thunder sounded, but it resembled a dull roar instead of the explosion it had been before.

"Are you alright?" asked Ryk as he wrapped a blanket around Nylana.

"I'll be fine," said Nylana. "Thank you," she said, turning to Trya.

Trya just clapped Nylana on the shoulder and rose to her feet.

"Get her below deck," said Galdin to Ryk.

"The storm seems to be dissipating," said the captain. "Everyone, except the crew, below deck."

* * *

Magi watched from her perch as Krispyn scribbled on a piece of parchment. Her glowing eyes barely visible to any who might have known she was there. She noted the stern expression on the king's face.

"Messenger," said Krispyn as he sealed the note, "See to it that this is delivered by tomorrow."

"Yes, my king," replied the messenger.

"And summon Shelwyk."

"Shelwyk is gone, my lord."

"Gone? Where?"

The messenger quivered under Krispyn's penetrating glare. "I do not know, sir. I only know that he has not been seen for many weeks now. I shall inform him of your wishes the moment he returns."

"Very well. Off you go."

The messenger darted out of the room.

Shelwyk gone, thought Magi. She knew it was not uncommon for the king's advisor to occasionally travel away from Norlyk, but she thought it odd that he would leave when strange folk moved about the five lands. Magi hopped off her perch and scurried into a small hole in the wall used by both mice and her. Perhaps she could learn for whom the king's message was intended.

Tune back Next Friday for the next chapter.

You can buy this book and the rest of the Legends Lost series at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, iBooks, and Smashwords. You can follow me on Twitter (JMRUL), or like my Facebook page. For more information, see www.legendslosttrilogy.com. Your support is appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

98 13 6
Nymeria Verne has always loved fantasy books. She loves the mystical lands, the fantastical creatures, the happy fairy tale endings...but what she lo...
105K 1.3K 12
Only the first 10 chapters are open.. NOW ON AMAZON! PLEASE BE SURE TO CHECK IT OUT AND SHOW ME SOME LOVE! COULDN'T HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT EACH AND EVE...
1.3M 72.6K 118
Born with glowing green eyes. Destined for rotten luck. Peasant girl Meya Hild was "given" the opportunity to become a Lady. At swordpoint. By merce...
565 120 35
[ U N E D I T E D V E R S I O N] ''We're running out of time! And you want me to leave you behind?....'' The soft silence engulfed the forest not a...