Legends Lost: Galdin

By JanetMcNulty

When darkness looms And all is gloom Two will rise Bearing the mark combined. One, the phoenix dwells within ... More

Legends Lost: Galdin (Prologue)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter II)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter III)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter IV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter V)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter VI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter VII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book1, Chapter VIII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter IX)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book1, Chapter X)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XIII)
Legends Lost: Gladin (Book 1, Chapter XI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter IV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XVI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XVII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XVIII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XIX)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter 1)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter II)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter III)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter IV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter V)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter VI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter VII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter VIII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter IX)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter X)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapte XI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter XII))
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter XIII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book3, Chapter I)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book3, Chapter II)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter III)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter IV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter V)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter VI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book, Chapter VII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter VIII))
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book, Chapter IX)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter X)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XIII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XIV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XVI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XVII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XVIII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book, Chapter XIX)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XX)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Epilogue)

Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter 1)

548 26 0
By JanetMcNulty

Note: This is the first chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday.  But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.

Book One

Dark Shadows

Concealed and elusive as the night;

Darkness abounds invading my plight.

What mystery makes strangers so bold?

Embarking on a journey too great to behold.

Cloaked whispers and secrets abound

While darkness’ past is found.

Dancing and writhing in candle’s flame

Dark shadows conspire just the same.

Take your whispers and all that is said.

I’ll pursue you even after you’ve bled.

Chapter I

Nylana

Commotion arose in the otherwise peaceful marketplace of Norlyk as a group of heavily armed soldiers dragged a young boy to its center.  The boy kicked and screamed as he was thrown roughly down on the ground in front of the sergeant.  The soldier grabbed the boy’s hand and yanked it toward him, stretching it out.  The frantic boy wrenched back and forth in an attempt to break free.  The soldier’s grip tightened.

“For stealing you are hereby condemned to the loss of a hand,” said the sergeant raising his sword high as more gathered within the crowd.  “In the King’s name, I carry out this punishment.”

“Is that so?”

Everyone immediately fell to their knees as a brilliantly dressed lady rode up on a white stallion bearing the crest of the king.  She pushed the hood of her cloak back revealing the crown upon her golden brown hair.  Lady Nylana towered over the crowd in full glory.

The soldier’s sword clattered on the ground as he bowed low before her.  “My lady,” he stammered.

“It is my understanding that such punishments were outlawed long ago,” said Nylana, “And have never been reinstituted.”

“This boy was caught stealing,” replied the shaky sergeant.

“The law states that he is to be brought before the Magistrate to be tried.  Why have you not done this?”

“My lady,” started the sergeant, “He—I— ”

“Narúl,” said Nylana, “Cut off his hand.”

A black, muscular man stepped forward, a stark contrast to the pale faces surrounding him.  He seized the sergeant with his strong hands and pinned him to the ground.  Narúl stretched out the man’s hand before him.  The sergeant gaped in fright as the roles had been reversed on him. 

“No!  No!  My lady, please,” the man screamed.

Nylana watched the proceedings with an emotionless stare.  “You were quick to deal out the same punishment to the boy moments ago,” she said, “Do not be so hasty to deal out such punishments unless you yourself are willing to suffer the same fate. 

“Narúl.”

Narúl raised his gleaming sword high above his head.  It swooshed through the air as he brought it down.  Dust flew as the blade struck the ground beside the sergeant’s untouched hand.  Narúl released the relieved man and reclaimed his place by Nylana’s side.

“Consider this a warning,” said Nylana, “To any who dare abuse the law.  Bring the boy to me.”

Two other soldiers carried the boy over placing him before her.

“What is your name, boy?” asked Nylana.

“I didn’t steal anything,” replied the boy.

“That was not what I asked,” said Nylana.  “What is your name?”

“Artryl, son of Atlanyn.”

“And where is your father?” asked Nylana.

The boy looked at his feet in answer.

“Your mother?”

Artryl continued staring at his feet.

“I see,” said Nylana.  “And are you guilty of stealing as is claimed?”

“No, my lady.  I accidently knocked over a crate of apples.  I was trying to pick them up when the soldiers began chasing me,” replied Artryl.

Nylana looked deep within the boy’s eyes.  Her expression softened.  “You will come with me.”

Narúl gently placed the boy upon her horse.  Artryl held tightly to her waist.  Never before had he been on a horse.

“Where is the merchant whose apples were damaged?” demanded Nylana.

A fat, old man stepped forward.  “They were mine, my lady,” he said.  “I apologize for the commotion.  I never meant for it—what I mean is, the soldiers had already grabbed the boy before I could say anything.”

“You needn’t fear me,” consoled Nylana.  “Here.”  She pulled a purse full of coins from her cloak and tossed it to the man.  “This should pay for any damages.”

“Thank you, my lady,” said the elderly man.  “I’ve heard tales of your generosity, but they pale in comparison to this.  Thank you.”

“There are many who could learn from your graciousness.  Good day.”

Nylana turned her horse and galloped off toward the palace with Narúl by her side.  The sergeant glared after her.  Anger clouded his face as he refused to learn from his humiliation.  “Clear out of here,” he yelled at the crow.

The palace gates opened as Nylana and Narúl rode up.  The marbled palace walls shone radiantly in the sunshine, sparkling ever so slightly.  Six flags whipped in the wind.  Each bore a crest, five of which were dedicated to the five lands of Tesnayr; the sixth bore the crest of Tesnayr himself. 

The horse’s hooves clopped on the cobblestone courtyard.  Artryl marveled at the grandeur of the palace.  The courtyard was filled with gardens of plum trees and flowers of every kind.  Merchants conducted their business auctioning their wares.  Ivy crept up the walls behind the gates.  

The heart of the palace itself was set high above the city.  Tiers of marbled stone, each with balconies, overlooked the sea and the city.  The sun’s rays made it shine like a beacon for the entire world to see. 

Artryl gaped at the sight.  The palace had always looked marvelous from the city slums.  But here, it took his breath away.

A stable hand greeted Nylana.  He helped Artryl off of the horse as Nylana hopped to the ground.  Narúl handed him the reins to both horses giving him orders concerning his lady’s mount.

“Artryl, how would you like to live at the palace?” asked Nylana.

The boy nodded, speechless.

“You will work in the stables first.  If you work hard, you may one day be trained as a soldier and perhaps a member of the palace guard.  Of course, the gates are always open.  No one stays here against their will.  But for now, Narúl, see to it he has something to eat.”

“My lady.”  Narúl saluted Nylana.

 *                  *                  *

 Nylana entered the great hall of the palace.  The council ceased their meeting to acknowledge her presence.  “Nylana,” greeted Krispyn dismissing the council.

“Brother.”  Nylana stretched out her hands and engulfed her brother in an affectionate embrace.  “It is good to see you.”

“You see me every day,” said Krispyn, “And each day you say the same.”

“And should I not be overjoyed to see my brother?”

Krispyn gingerly placed his hand on his sister’s shoulder.  “I hear you had some trouble in the market this morning.”

“No trouble, Krispyn,” said Nylana, pulling off her gloves, “A soldier tried to take the law into his own hands by punishing a boy with a barbaric law.”

“And the boy?” asked Krispyn.

“I brought him here,” replied Nylana.

“Here?  Nylana—”

“He can work in the stables,” interrupted Nylana, “And maybe he can train to be a part of the palace guard if he proves himself worthy.”

“And what of his parents?”

“He has none.  And I have been thinking.  Perhaps we should open a home for orphaned children.  They will have a place to stay and can learn a trade.”

“Nylana,” laughed Krispyn, “How are we to pay for it?”

“We will rely on the people’s generosity.”

“No one is as generous as you, sister.”

“Then perhaps you should rescind some of your taxes.  People are more inclined to give freely, when they have money to be generous with.”

“Always thinking with your heart,” said Krispyn.

“A man cannot always be a statesman.  You must learn to use this—” Nylana pointed to Krispyn’s heart, “—in conjunction with this—” she moved her finger to his head, “—before you can truly lead them.”

“As you know, in six months’ time the council will meet,” said Krispyn, changing the subject, “And I still need to find a solution for the problem in Pras’quel.”

Nylana kissed her brother lightly on the cheek.  “I am certain you will, Krispyn.  You always do.”

“If only everyone had the faith you do, Nylana.”

“Well, we wouldn’t want to make things too easy for you.” 

“I have duties to attend.”

Nylana kissed her brother again and departed.  She quickly made her way to her chambers.  Once safely inside, she released a huge sigh letting her regal demeanor go.  She unwrapped her cloak from around her and let it fall unceremoniously on a chair.  The royal lady. 

Her room was the only place where she found comfort and privacy.  She moseyed through the tidy chamber among the chairs, embroidered tapestries, and elegant tables.  A sheer veil separated the sitting area from where her bed lay.

A boy’s voice from the gardens below caught Nylana’s attention.  Recognizing it as Artryl’s, she went to the balcony to listen; careful to remain hidden.

“Why do you stay?” asked Artryl.

“I swore and oath to my lady,” replied Narúl. 

“But, you are a slave,” said Artryl.

“A man is only a slave if he chooses to be one.  I swore an oath to protect the Lady Nylana.  And to that I hold.”

“But it was only a promise.”

Narúl looked Artryl in the eyes when he responded.  “Listen to me, boy.  An oath is not to be sworn lightly.  If a man loses everything, the only thing he has left is his word.  Your word is your bond, and your honor.  If you do not keep the oaths you swear, then you are nothing more than a traitor.  I am bound to the Lady Nylana as her protector.  And that I shall never break.”

Artryl noticed Narúl’s sword for the first time.  He pulled it from its scabbard.  Its silver blade glowed yellow in the late morning sun.  Artryl twisted it in his hands before Narúl wrapped his hand around it.  He placed the sword back in its sheath ignoring the boy’s disappointed face.

“Do you know the art of the sword?” asked Narúl.

Artryl mumbled a weak reply.  “No.”

“First you must master your mind before you can master the sword,” said Narúl.

“How do I do that?” asked Artryl.

Narúl pulled a book out from his pocket.  He tossed it to Artryl who clumsily caught it.

“What is this?” asked Artryl.

“It is a book,” replied Narúl, “Books contain ideas that can make one think.  Do you know how to read?”

Artryl’s dirty blond hair waved from side to side as he shook his head.

“That is something we shall remedy.  You learn to read and study and I will teach you the sword.”

A smile crossed the boy’s smudged face.  He hugged Narúl catching the burly man by surprise.  “May I swear an oath like you did?”

“Oaths are not to be sworn lightly.  I suggest you master yourself first.”

“Narúl, does the Lady Nylana know how to use a sword?”

Narúl rubbed his chin, attempting to mask his growing impatience with the boy’s questions.  “The Lady Nylana has no use for one.”  She has me, he added silently to himself.

Tune back Next Friday for Chapter II.

You can buy this book and the rest of the Legends Lost series at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, iBooks, and Smashwords. You can follow me on Twitter (JMRUL), or like my Facebook page. For more information, see www.legendslosttrilogy.com or at www.mcnultyjanet.com. Your support is appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14 0 4
From different walks of life, four young women have always dealt with the burdens of their circumstances, believing their misery to be a sentence the...
1.3M 72.6K 118
Born with glowing green eyes. Destined for rotten luck. Peasant girl Meya Hild was "given" the opportunity to become a Lady. At swordpoint. By merce...
1.8K 145 40
Through thick and thin the Law shall prevail. A new sense of purpose awaits us, children of light, in the land where it all began. The darkness in wh...
1.4K 550 46
Mystery? In a Royal Court? What price do you pay to protect someone? What cost to yourself do you pay to make sure tender dreams are not crushed...