Fire and Flame [Iroh II x OC]

By maheenasai

A story of a young Iroh who works hard to become the General of the United Forces. Being busy with his career... More

Chapter 1: The Re-meeting
Chapter 2: Not too posh to push
Chapter 3: The Order of the White Lotus meets the United Forces
Chapter 4: Forever alone
Chapter 5: Weird feelings
Chapter 6: Danger ahead!
Chapter 7: The Dead Man's Cave
Chapter 8: What mistake?
Chapter 9: Traitor
Chapter 10: Trapped
Chapter 11: Truth revealed
Chapter 12: Freedom vs Racism
Chapter 13: Farewell
Chapter 14: Return
Chapter 15: Old friends
Chapter 16: Final choice
Chapter 17: Confusing situations
Chapter 18: Homesickness
Chapter 19: Mysterious voices
Chapter 20: Yue Festival
Chapter 21: Voices of the Ocean
Chapter 22: Home Sweet Home
Chapter 23: Dragon's Flame
Chapter 24: Moonlight
Chapter 25: Love the way you lie
Chapter 26: Loving you
Chapter 27: Two sides of a coin
Chapter 28: Complications
Chapter 29: Wanted
Chapter 30: Can't keep my hands from you
Chapter 31: Nighmares
Chapter 32: The Dragon's cave
Chapter 33: Hold my hand
Chapter 34: In sickness and health
Chapter 35: Heart wants what it wants
Chapter 36: Failure
Chapter 37: Back to life
Chapter 38: Differences
Chapter 39: Kill'em with kindness
Chapter 40: Forgiveness
Chapter 41: Let it burn
Chapter 42: Mother's love
Chapter 43: Life or death
Chapter 44: Twofaced
Chapter 45: The dragon's kiss
Chapter 46: Earth Queen and Councillors
Chapter 47: Colours of life
Chapter 48: In this together
Chapter 49: Speeding cars
Chapter 50: Diamonds
Chapter 51: Dragon's decision
Chapter 52: Reconciliation
Chapter 53: A son's first hero
Chapter 54: Fear
Chapter 55: Daddy's little girl
Chapter 56: Underground Village
Chapter 57: A ray of sunshine
Chapter 58: Justice League
Chapter 59: Chances
Chapter 60: A new member
Chapter 61: A family dinner
Chapter 62: The fallen hero
Chapter 63: The traitor among us
Chapter 64: Memories
Chapter 65: Dragon's failure
Chapter 66: Dragon's mercy
Chapter 67: A perfect day
Chapter 68: Signs
Chapter 69: The old wise man
Chapter 71: Light in the dark
Chapter 72: Fate
Chapter 73: The Unagi
Chapter 74: Kyoshi Island
Chapter 75: Forgotten past
Chapter 76: Differences
Chapter 77: Sacrifices
Chapter 78: Awareness
Chapter 79: Built for the abuse
Chapter 80: Black and Blue
Chapter 81: Whem dreams come true
Chapter 82: Dear Zindagi
Chapter 83: Unexpected guests
Chapter 84: Confessions
Chapter 85: The second chance
Chapter 86: The trial
Chapter 87: Faded
Chapter 88: Changes
Chapter 89: A perfect lie
Chapter 90: Rogue

Chapter 70: Harmonic Convergence

1K 24 5
By maheenasai

Fire Lady Izumi's P.O.V

Lao, the housekeeper of the Royal Palace, walked in, followed by Hayao. I was surprised to see my soon divorced husband. Our marriage was not the rose of flowers, so we parted ways after nearly fourth years. Of course the Fire Nation was not aware of the split as well as the other Royal Family members except my oldest son, Iroh. I have made him promise me not to tell anyone about it. Not even his own wife. My daughter in law was a caring young woman but she was not born into royalty. She hated the formal behaviour, she had to share with Iroh and my grandchildren. Saira tried her best to give Zuko and Ilah a normal childhood, just like she enjoyed. But she could not hide her children from the public eye forever.
Hayao stepped in front of me. He took my hand and kissed the back of it.

"What brings you here, Hayao?"

"Are you sure you want all this Izumi? Do you want us to get separated?"

"I had no other choice, Hayao."

"No other choice? What are you saying dear? Do you want all this to end? The family we share? Do you even know what all this will cause? Our divorce?"

"It will be better for everyone.", I said and held back a tear that was forming back in my eyes. I looked away so Hayao won't see the desperation in my eyes.

"Better? We are role models for couples, for our children. If we can't save our marriage, can they?"

"Lu Ten and Medora are not married yet and Saira is loyal to Iroh till her last breath and you know that."

"Oh really?", Hayao raised his voice,"If she was that loyal, she wouldn't have left him!"

Hayao's words were as hard as a punch in my face. I couldn't believe what I just heard. I knew that Iroh's and Saira's marriage was at stake but I never imagined she would leave my son.

"That's not true.", I managed to say.

"It is true, Izumi. Iroh called me hours ago and asked if Saira was here. He sent her two weeks ago but she still hasn't reached. The crew members of the zeppelin are not aware where she is."

"Maybe they did something to her."

"Maybe or she was just fed up with all this. With all this stress this family has. With all the fights she has to bear and to solve."

My eyes widened. Maybe something happened. What would I tell Iroh? Hayao reached his arms for me but I backed away. I had to look for her. But before I could even step out of the room, Lao was back. And behind him a tanned man. He had blue eyes and I immediately knew who he was. It was Unalaq, the Chief of the Northern Watertribe. It was a bad time but I couldn't resist him. He was a monarch and I needed to take care of him as the Fire Lady and head of the Fire Nation.

"Fire Lady Izumi, I hope I'm not disturbing, Your Majesty."

"Of course not. How may I help you, Chief?"

"Didn't you get my message, Your Majesty? I announced a meeting at your palace and here I am."

"Of course. Lao, please make sure that Chief Unalaq is comfortable here."

Lao nodded and Unalaq, Hayao and I followed. During the walk, Hayao and Unalaq talked about politics and about Iroh. Every time, I met Unalaq, he mentioned my son and Ahana Island. It was written on his face that he was not happy that Iroh fought and was responsible for Ahana Island's independence.
We walked into the conference hall and Hayao and I sat on the throne while Unalaq sat in front of us.

"Well, now that we are all seated and comfortable, how may I help you, Chief?"

"I am here to strengthen the relation of our two nations."

"Please continue."

"As you known the Harmonic Convergence is taking place soon. That would cause me to become the new Avatar and the most powerful man on this planet. I offer you, Your Majesty, our loyalty."

"I don't believe that this deal is that easy. I'm sure there is something in between the lines, I should read before I sign."

"You are very clever, Your Majesty. Well, as you already said, there really is a condition between the lines."

"That would be?"

"I want the Northern Watertribe to be provided by the Fire Nation Military and its support."

"Your offer is very appealing but I can't embroil the Fire Nation into another war."

"I would rethink your decision if I was you, Your Majesty."

"As far as this concerns me, I'm afraid I can't make this decision."

"Of course you can. You are the Fire Lady!"

"This is true but I am not responsible for the Fire Nation Military anymore."

"May I know who it is?", he said with gritted teeth.

"It is Her Royal Highness, Princess Saira of the Fire Nation. But as she is not in the nation, she is not available right now."

Hayao looked at me slightly shocked. The sudden change of me could only be read by him. I just gave my daughter in law all the military power. It may have been a mistake but this decision also had benefits. Saira was not present and I could not decide what was right. If I accepted his offer, the Fire Nation would be embroiled with the Northern Watertribe in a war again. If I rejected his offer, the Fire Nation would be in a war but this time against the rest of the world. Both decisions would cause war, which I tried to avoid since the Hundred-Year-War was stopped by my father and Aang.

Unalaq suddenly started laughing:"You are not a good liar, Your Majesty. As far as I know the Fire Nation, every new member, every new position gets a ceremony. Princess Saira is not the Supreme Commander. Nice try to reject, Your Majesty but you failed. I trapped you in your own net."

Unalaq was right and he found out what my plan was. Hayao was nervous next to me. I knew what he was thinking, that this was a fatal mistake. I had to find out a way of this galère.

"You are mistaken, Chief. The reason why the ceremony still hasn't taken place is that both, my son Prince Iroh and my daughter in law Princess Saira were in the United Republic. She already is the Supreme Commander but the ceremony has to take place."

Before Unalaq could say anything, Astoria, the housemaid rushed into the hall.

"Your Majesty! Her Highness has arrived!"

"Astoria! You know very well that it is not accepted when you interrupt a conversation!"

Although I scolded the poor girl, I was happy that she didn't wait to call me. I excused myself and fled from the conference room. Astoria led me to Iroh's and Saira's room, where my daughter in law was already waiting. I was shocked when I entered the bedroom. My son's wife looked horrible. Her face and arms were injured as well as parts of her body. Her vetements were ripped and dirty as well as the rest of her appearance. She looked exhausted but something changed. I eyed her carefully to understand what happened. Then I realized what changed. The empty look in her eyes was gone. The old Saira was standing in front of me. Head held high, straightened back and confidence in her eyes. Just like I met her. The woman, my son has fallen in love with. But this look was also dangerous. She was no longer the puppet, one could control. She returned from her dark cave stronger and more dangerous than before. It was frightening. The fire in her eyes that was able to hypnotize every person, she wanted around her auricular finger. But suddenly, something crossed my mind.

"My grandchild-"

"Is alive. Don't worry.", she completed my sentence.

"Where have you been?"

"Away."

"I thought you left Iroh."

Her eyes suddenly widened in shock:"I would never leave Iroh. Not until my last breath."

"Hayao told me you two parted ways."

"Then father-in-law misunderstood something. I just needed...a break. But now I'm back. My mind tells me that something is not right.", she peered into my eyes.

"Unalaq is here."

"What for?"

"He wants the Fire Nation to back his plans."

"What did you tell him?"

"That you are responsible for the military."

"Oh, am I?"

"Yes."

"I will change and freshen up. Then I will join you."

"Fine."

"And mother..."

"Yes?"

"Avoid the concern in your eyes. It doesn't suit strong women like you.", she smiled.

I smiled back and nodded. As I already said, she could be very frightening sometimes. It was, as if she tried to enter one's mind to change or read it.
I entered the conference hall again and the tension was felt immediately. Hayao and Unalaq were peering in each other's eyes and didn't stop although I took place next to Hayao.

"Well...your decision?", Unalaq said impatiently.

"As I said. I am not responsible for the Fire Nation military, Chief."

"Then call your goddamn Princess and decide!", he yelled.

I held Hayao back, who was about to do a huge mistake.

"Her Majesty doesn't need to call me. I'm already here.", a soft voice resonated.

Saira was standing behind Unalaq and eyed him. She turned her attention to Hayao and me and sat next to me. Then she looked back at Unalaq, with the same emotionless look, she gave him before.

"How may I help you, Mister Unalaq?", she asked impolitely.

"First of all, it's Chief, Your Highness. Secondly, I'm here to make a deal that you can't refuse."

"And that would be?", she leaned forward in cautiousness.

"Since Fire Lady Izumi told me, that you are the new Supreme Commander, I want you to support the Northern Watertribe during the Harmonic Convergence."

"Why should I do that? What are the benefits for supporting you?"

"After the Harmonic Convergence instead of Korra, I will be the new Avatar. That would cause the Northern Watertribe to be the most powerful nation. I offer you a stronger partnership and in case of attacks, the Northern Watertribe will support you."

"Support?", she said with amusement in her voice and continued with seriousness,"Do you really think that the Northern Watertribe could protect us, the Fire Nation? I would like to remind you that we started the Hundred-Year-War and we also ended it. And I would also like to remind you that you lost the battle against rebels in Ahana Island although you had the support of IAZO."

Shock was written on Unalaq's visage. I guess this was something, not everyone was supposed to know.

"Where did you get this information from?"

"I was present during the war. You should have handed IAZO over to the Fire Nation but you decided to protect criminals. And now, I would suggest you to leave the Fire Nation."

"You're doing a huge mistake."

"Oh really? I don't think so. The Fire Nation doesn't need anyone to protect itself. It was a pleasure to meet you, Chief. Lao will escort you. Good afternoon."

"You will regret your decision."

"Believe me, I won't."

Iroh's P.O.V

I was in my office when President Raiko suddenly entered:"General Iroh."

I stood up and saluted:"President Raiko."

"Stand at ease."

"What brings you here, Sir. How may I help you?"

"The United Republic is about to get attacked."

"I will prepare my men. If you would excuse me, Sir.", I said without hesitating.

"I did not allow you to prepare anyone, General. I'm sure that this conflict can be solved diplomatically."

"With all respect, Sir. Not that I underestimate your diplomatic skills but the smallest mistake can cause a war. I can't risk the United Republic's safety."

The president looked at me for a while. Come on, Raiko! Time's not stopping! I tried to look calm while the president kept eying me sceptically. Then, finally, he nodded.
I saluted again and grabbed my coat. While I buttoned it, I looked for Haku and fortunately, he wasn't far away as always.

"You look tensed."

"White Rose."

"What? Not again! Who is it this time?"

"I don't know. President Raiko didn't mention anyone."

"What if it's just a test?"

"I don't think so, Haku. He looked nervous. I want you to inform everyone, turn on the sirens and after that I want you on the SS Minato."

"Yes, General Iroh, Sir.", he saluted.

I nodded and we parted ways. Since Commander Bumi left, Haku took over his position as Commander. And I was pleased because our thoughts were on the same level most time, although I missed Commander Bumi. He was different than the other officials in the United Forces. He was a crazy man, who risked a lot but this was also the reason why he was that successful.
I soon reached the meeting room, where General Asuma was already sitting.
He was on the telephone and in a deep conversation. I waited nervously until he finished. As he did, he looked up to me and smiled.

"Guess we got embroiled into another conflict my son, huh?"

"You can say that. How do you know that?"

"The Harmonic Convergence is about to happen. And since the Fire Nation rejected Unalaq's offer, I don't believe that he will knock on our doors with biscuits and café politely and ask us to give up.", he said with an irritated look on his face.

"That doesn't surprise me. The Fire Lady always tried to avoid any conflict.", I said proudly.

"But it may surprise you, who the new Supreme Commander is."

"Well, it really does but I think this situation is more important than the new Supreme Commander of the Fire Nation military."

"Of course, General. Before you go, take this."

General Asuma looked at me and handed me in a leather wrapped item. I unwrapped it and looked at it.
"What do I need this for?"

"In case something happens."

"I'm a firebender. I don't need this kind of weapon. Neither do you, General.", I said and handed him back the weapon.

When I stepped outside the room, the sirens could already be heard. I headed to the SS Minato, where the troops were already waiting.
Suddenly something in the air caught my attention. It was an air ship. It had the colour of the police department. I immediately walked inside the ship where Haku was radioing with someone. As his eyes caught me, he asked me to come and handed me over the mic.

"Are you ready to attack, General?"

"Yes, Sir. But I need to know, what kind of menace is threatening the United Republic."

And before Raiko could respond, I heard an impact. As I looked outside, a giant creature, over hundred metres tall, was walking in the water. I did not hesitate and ordered my crew to attack the enemy. But it didn't help. He fought off our weapons like mosquitoes. And suddenly, he turned over to us, approaching our fleets. We kept attacking the creature but it was useless. It created a huge tsunami. Our waterbenders tried their best to stop the great wave but they failed.

The last thing I remembered, was a blue light in the form of Korra.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.8K 446 9
You are Bolin's twin and the youngest sibling by 13 minutes. Somehow you got the fire bender gene while your twin got the earth bending one. Your bro...
37.8K 861 25
Katara is becoming Queen of the Southern Water Tribe and needs to find a husband so her father puts on a challenge for the princesses hand. Things ha...
87.1K 2.4K 62
( Oja, Y/N) a former Noble of the Fire nation but you are different with other fire benders instead your an Expert of lightning bending but can't fir...
9.7K 428 63
It has been five Years since the Hundred Years war has ended, the Avatar bringing balance to a once broken world. In that time in what was once the F...