The Way To His Heart (The Sta...

By JhingBautista

Mona likes Felix. Mona has liked Felix ever since she met him. She knew that he's way out of her league, but... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Some Things Never Change
Chapter 2: We Meet Again
Chapter 3: For The Nth Time
Chapter 4: Meeting Bullet
Chapter 5: Long Weekend
Chapter 6: Getting To Know Him
Chapter 7: Date?
Chapter 8: D-A-T-E
Chapter 9: Something's Changed
Chapter 10: Second Date
Chapter 11: Sssshhhhh
Chapter 12: To Flirt or Not To Flirt
Chapter 13: Keeping It Lowkey
Chapter 14: A Broken Heart
Chapter 15: Persistence
Chapter 16: Angela
Chapter 17: Heavy Heart
Chapter 18: Swings and Ice Creams
Chapter 19: Hers
Chapter 20: Tug of War
Chapter 22: Gamble
Chapter 23: I Love You
Chapter 24: One Day
Chapter 25: Meet The Clan
Chapter 26: One With The Family
Chapter 27: New Year, New Problems
Chapter 28: Dealing with the Truth
Chapter 29: Making Up
Chapter 30: Singles' Day
Chapter 31: Brain Freeze
Chapter 32: B and B
Chapter 33: Breather
Chapter 34: Home
Chapter 35: Clean
Chapter 36: Under Pressure
Chapter 37: Chasing Hearts
Chapter 38: Torture
Chapter 39: Closure
Chapter 40: Happy Ending
Epilogue

Chapter 21: Three's A Crowd

39.1K 1.6K 330
By JhingBautista

Paalis pa lamang ng bakeshop, ramdam na ni Mona ang tensyon sa pagitan ng dalawang lalaki. The three of them have cars and can go to the restaurant or wherever they choose to eat separately. But of course, she should get in the car with either Felix or Baste.

Felix opened the car's door for her. She turned to Baste and saw that he was doing the same thing. Both guys were waiting for her to decide whose car she'll be riding on.

Lumapit siya kay Baste.

Bago siya sumakay, nilingon niya si Felix. She gave him an apologetic smile and said, "Dito muna ako. Mamaya na lang dyan."

He simply nodded and hopped in his car.

"You really can't say no to him, can you?" tanong ni Baste nang makasakay sila ng kotse.

"I just did!"

"Not quite. You told him not this time, but you'll ride with him later. Wala ka talagang conviction."

She gave him a bland look. "Do you want me to get out of the car?"

To answer that, he unlocked the door, smiling smugly. She rolled her eyes and stayed seated. Isinuot niya ang seatbelt.

"Sa'n tayo kakain? 'Wag sa mamahalin, a. Baka ipalibre mo, maubos pera ko."

"Magkano ba ang budget mo?"

"Huy, seryoso? Ako ang pagbabayarin mo?!"

"That's the deal, right? I'll take you out to dinner but you'll pay for the food."

"Did America take away your manners? You're going to make a lady pay for your meal?"

"I wasn't... but you promised."

She opened her mouth to retort, but he has a point so she let it go.

"All right. Food park tayo. But don't tell Felix that it's my treat kasi... di ba nga, he should think that there's something going on between us."

Baste raised an eyebrow. "So, ano'ng gusto mong mangyari? Kunwari libre ko tapos babayaran mo 'ko later, gano'n?"

She nodded enthusiastically. It's good that they're on the same pace. Great minds think alike nga, especially if they are friends.

"Exactly!"

"Baka mamaya nyan, takbuhan mo 'ko, ha."

"Mahahabol mo rin naman ako. Mabagal akong tumakbo," pabiro niyang sagot.

For a short moment, Baste smiled. It immediately disappeared when he realized that he's smiling.

"Ang damot mong ngumiti, 'no?"

He ignored her and continued driving.

--

Sa isang food park sila pumarada. Like most food parks, pa-kwadrado rin 'yong lugar tapos may mga stall na nakapaligid at may kainan sa gitna. Halos walang magkakapareho na tipo ng pagkaing itinitinda kaya marami silang options.

Inikot nila 'yong mga kainan saka sila nag-decide ng kakain. And while they were roaming around, she noticed all the stares, particularly from women. Paghanga para sa dalawang lalaki, inggit o inis naman sa kanya.

"What do you want to eat?" Felix asked her.

"Ang hirap naman ng tanong!" reklamo niya. Gusto niyang bumili ng chocolate shake na umaapaw sa mason jars, may marshmallow, Pocky, stick O at chocolate cereals ba sa ibabaw. Gusto rin niyang bumili ng bagnet at kare-kare. Seafood platter. Pasta with garlic bread. Japanese bento boxes. Pati na rin 'yong mga lutong bahay kagaya ng adobo, afritada, at kaldereta.

Felix chuckled and pointed at the stall that sells bagnet. "Bagnet?"

"Marami na 'kong extra fats."

"You're not fat."

She suppressed a smile. "Pwede rin. Pero gusto ko rin ng seafood. Saka shake."

"You can get whatever you want," Baste told her. "I'm paying."

"No. I'm paying," Felix countered.

"This is our date," Baste retaliated. "So I'll pay."

Nagulat siya nang biglang hawakan ni Baste ang kamay niya. If she didn't know that he's just acting to annoy Felix, baka kinilig na siya. The girls on one stall didn't know that it's just pretend, though, so ang mga ito ang kinilig para sa kanya.

"Ang intense no'n, ha," bulong niya sa kababata nang makalayo sila kay Felix.

"It has to be convincing," he whispered back.

Shortly after, Felix followed them. Um-order siya ng pagkain sa food stall. Felix ordered as well. Halatang sinadyang damihan ang order kasi parang lahat ng nasa menu, kinuha. And then, he turned to Baste and said, "O, bayaran mo na."

Baste took out his wallet and removed an ATM card. Gusto niyang mag-facepalm. Clearly, he's not used to eating at a foodpark. Napatawa tuloy si Felix.

"What?" clueless na tanong ni Baste.

"You've never been to a foodpark before, have you?"

"Bakit?"

Felix pointed at the ATM card. Baste then turned to the ladies at the stall and asked, "Do you accept cards?"

Ngumiti ang isa sa mga nagtitinda. "Ay, sir, wala po kasi kaming pang-swipe. Cash lang po."

"I'll just pay for this one," singit ni Felix.

He was already taking out some bills when Baste held up his hand and said, "No. I'll pay. I just need to find an ATM."

"Sa labas, sir, may malapit. Paglabas nyo po, kumanan kayo tapos dire-diretso lang hanggang sa intersection. Marami pong bangko do'n," sabi ng tindera.

"Okay. Thanks."

Baste turned to her and asked, "Tara?"

"Why would she go with you? Ano ka, batang kailangan pang samahan?"

She gave Baste an apologetic look. Felix has a point. He's a grown man. Wala namang sense kung sasama pa siya rito para lang mag-withdraw.

So, Baste had no choice but to go alone. Nang maiwan sila ni Felix, kinausap nito ang mga tindera para sabihing mamaya na lamang nila ibibigay ang bayad since nagwi-withdraw pa si Baste. The ladies understood and said okay.

Naghintay na lamang sila sa isang table.

"Kaya mo bang ubusin lahat ng in-order mo?" tanong niya kay Felix.

"Kulang pa 'yon," nakangisi nitong sagot.

She groaned. He doesn't know that she'll be paying and she can't tell him. Mapapahiya si Baste at magtatanong nang magtatanong si Felix.

Kinuha nito ang kamay niya. Hinila niya iyon pero mahigpit ang pagkakahawak nito.

"Felix..."

"Just until he comes back," he promised.

She stopped resisting. She knew a person's never too old for romance, but it felt weird that she's feeling that feeling again. It's been so long since she's last been in love. Medyo naninibago siya.

"You're just friends, right?"

"What do you think?"

"I think that he's not really into you."

"He can be emotionless at times, but he's a nice guy," she told him.

"Just because he's nice doesn't mean that he likes you."

"Umuwi sya ng Pilipinas para sa 'kin." That's kinda true. Pinilit naman talaga si Baste ng ninang niya na umuwi ng Pilipinas. Pero para magbakasyon. At para tingnan na rin kung magiging compatible silang dalawa.

Hindi nakapagsalita si Felix dahil sa sinabi niya. They just sat there in silence until Baste comes back. And as promised, Felix let go of her hand.

--

The long table they sat on was soon filled with different foods from different stalls. May shake pa silang in-order na ginagawa pa lang. Baste was mindful enough to keep the receipts. Sa tantya niya, magtatatlong libo na ang nagastos ni Baste. It was still cheap compared to his favorite restaurant, pero para sa kanya na hindi naman magastos sa pagkain, mahal na 'yon. She could treat her friends to dinner with that kind of money. Tapos, may pang-movie pa sila.

Tuloy, pinagtitinginan sila ng mga tao. Lalo na't parang nagpaparamihan ng kain ang dalawang lalaki. Nakapanuod lamang siya sa dalawa habang kumakain. She was hungry a while ago, but seeing them eat somehow made her feel full.

'Yong shake na lang tuloy ang ininom niya.

"Aren't you hungry?" Baste asked. "Kumain ka. Sayang naman 'yong libre ko kung hindi ka kakain."

"I think she likes what I bought her," Felix chimed in, smiling while pointing at the shake. He insisted on buying that for her. Tapos unconsciously, 'yon lang ang ginalaw niyang pagkain.

So to compensate, kumuha siya ng isang piraso ng bagnet, which made her feel bad because Felix stopped smiling. Ganito ba ang feeling ng pinag-aagawan? Masakit din pala sa ulo. She didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but she can't seem to please both!

"Kumain na lang tayo, please," sabi niya sa dalawa.

--

The two guys couldn't even move after eating everything. Medyo matagal-tagal pa silang nakaupo bago umuwi. Felix even suggested that they walk around first before going home. Baste readily agreed.

"We can have coffee," Baste suggested. Tumingin ito sa kanya, "Do you want to have coffee?"

"Kaya pa ba ng mga tiyan nyo? Mamaya magkalat kayo sa coffee shop, e."

"We'll have tea, then," Felix said.

Since the two guys agreed, she said okay.

So, they headed back to their cars (she's still riding with Baste) and rode to the nearest coffee shop.

Si Felix naman ang nanlibre, so naturally, he's the one who had to order. And he wanted her to stand in line with him.

"Humanap ka na ng upuan," sabi nito kay Baste.

"Maraming bakante."

"Then sit already."

Baste pulled her. "Let's go."

"She's staying here." Felix pulled at her other hand.

Tumaas ang kilay ni Baste. "Ano, hindi maka-order mag-isa? Tatlong tsaa lang 'yon. 'Wag mong sabihing magpapatulong ka pa sa kanyang magbuhat?"

He said it out loud, so everyone could hear it. Ramdam niya ang paghigpit ng kamay ni Felix sa kamay niya. But he had no choice but to let go. Tuluyan na siyang nahila ni Baste sa isang bakanteng table.

"Grabe, ha. Ang harsh mo," sabi niya sa kababata.

"If I'm nice to him, then he might assume that I'm already giving up. That I'm no competition. Hindi na sya mati-threaten," paliwanag nito.

"Pero kahit na. 'Wag ka namang masyadong mamahiya."

"You're too nice to him," naiiling nitong sabi. "Kaya siguro nati-take for granted ka."

Sinamaan niya ito ng tingin. "Aray ko naman, Beh! Dahan-dahan ka naman sa pananalita mo, okay?"

But it's true. It hurts because it's true. Alam naman niyang hindi sinasadya ni Felix na ma-take for granted sya, kaso... gano'n na nga ang nangyayari. He knew that she's there and that she'll always be there, kahit na kay Andrea at Angela ito.

"Here's your tea."

Bahagya siyang lumayo kay Baste nang puntahan sila ni Felix. She accepted the drink.

"How long will you be staying here?" maya-maya'y tanong ni Felix kay Baste.

"Hanggang kelan ko gusto."

"Don't you have a job?" She cringed at the question. It was a little condescending.

"I don't have one right now," Baste answered calmly.

"So ano'ng ginagawa mo?"

"I conduct seminars and attend conventions."

"And you get paid for that?"

Baste shrugged. "Sure. It wasn't neurosurgery, but I still get paid. Hindi ko rin naman kailangan ng extra income since I still have my savings."

"Then what do you save for?"

Baste gave her a meanigful look before answering, "For future needs."

"I can take care of her," Felix retorted.

Baste took a sip of his tea. When he spoke again, she wanted to dig a hole and bury him there. "I'm sure you can. You seem to take good care of your girlfriend and your daughter."

She nudged him.

Felix's jaw clenched. He looked like he really wanted to punch Baste in the face.

"That was really uncalled for," sabi niya kay Baste. "Mag-sorry ka."

"Why? May masama ba sa sinabi ko?"

He wasn't exactly clueless. Alam niyang sinadya nito iyong sabihin. But that was low and she won't let him get away without apologizing.

"Mag-sorry ka na, please. I don't want you guys to fight."

Bumuntong-hininga ang lalaki. "All right." He turned to Felix and said, "Sorry."

Tumango lamang si Felix bilang acknowledgment.

--

When it was time to go home, she talked to Baste first.

"Beh, sa kanya na 'ko sasabay, ha."

"Okay," he answered nonchalantly. Dumukot ito sa bulsa at inilabas ang mga resibo ng kinain nila kanina. Pasimple nito iyong ibinigay sa kanya. "Bayaran mo na lang ako kapag nagkita tayo."

"Sige. Thank you, ha. Pero next time, 'wag ka namang masyadong harsh. And please keep Andrea and Angela out of the conversation."

Tumango ito. "If he stops being an asshole, then I'll try to be a little nicer."

She slapped his arm and was about to retaliate nang tawagin siya ni Felix. She bid Baste good night and headed to Felix's car.

Pagkaalis nila, agad siyang nag-sorry rito.

"Medyo tactless kasi sya minsan. Sorry."

"Kinikwento mo pala sila sa kanya?"

She bit her lip. "Kasi... ano... magkababata kasi kami, so I'm comfortable telling him these things. Sorry."

Felix sighed. "Sobrang close ba kayo?"

"Dati. Usapan na nga ng parents namin, kapag single pa kami in our 40s, then we should marry each other."

She waited for his reaction. She didn't get it. But after a few minutes of being silent, he told her, "Then let's make sure that doesn't happen."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.2M 103K 67
PUBLISHED UNDER IMMAC PPH In the world of married couple, Miracle Fortalejo is not one of the lucky wives to experience the joy of it. With all the t...
323K 18.9K 33
2nd Book of Valleroso Series. Cypress Olivier Valleroso. Written©️2022
12.1K 916 17
Calm, proper, and respected. Mahirap pintasan si Eugene Scott bilang taong nabubuhay sa daigdig. Pero isang dark romance novel lang ang katapat ng pe...