The Light of Elysium

By MayaR-31

Book 1 (complete) - Veterinary student Elle wants to travel, but she doesn't plan on getting pulled into a ma... More

Author's note
Prologue
1 - Dreams
2 - The Journey Begins
3 - Not in Kansas anymore
4 - Kingdom under the Mountains
5 - No way home
6 - A New Partnership
7 - A dark encounter
8 - Did someone yell for a hero
9 - Down by the lake
10 - Dance of the sun and the moon
11 - The Rainbow Isles
12 - Queen's Conquest
13 - Lammas Festival
14 - Lord of the Emerald Isle
15 - Ill met by Moonlight
16 - Agape
17 - Amongst the trees
18 - Equinox
19 - Capture
20 - Lord Nero
21 - Glimmer in the dark
22 - My sweet
#31CreepyWords
23 - Leap of Faith
24 - Flight
25 - White Water
27 - Company of wolves
28 - Falling
29 - Arcadia
30 - A new dawn
31 - Mr Sullen, Mr Mischief & Mr Silent
32 - Green does not become you
33 - Battlelines
34 - Storm
35 - The wild hunt
36 - Temptation
37 - Whiplash
38 - The Chase
39 - The white knight
40 - Mid-Winter Ball
41 - Promises
42 - The Prophecy
43 - The element of air
44 - Home is where the heart is
45 - Destiny calling
46 - Icarus
47 - Journey by night
48 - A face from the past
49 - Aldebaran
50 - Trial of the White Queen
51 - Sleep, perchance to dream
52 - Lair of the Dark King
53 - Dark dreams
54 - Dark games
55 - Winter's embrace
56 - The Ice Queen and the King of Sin
57 - Politics
58 - A truth uncovered
59 - Back from the edge
60 - Muse
61 - Quandary
62 - Night under the stars
63 - Bound in blood
64 - A rolling stone
65 - Waiting for a hero
66 - Pride and Prejudice
67 - Sensibility
68 - Bedouin Night
69 - Flashpoint
70 - Reunion
71 - Denial
72 - Dreams
73 - A fire kindled
74 - Touched by a Goddess
75 - Ostara
76 - The fire within
77 - Options
78 - An inescapable fate
79 - Point of no return
80 - Bereft
81 - Journey's end
Characters/Cast List
The Queen of Elysium - sneak peek

26 - Fearful symmetry

7.3K 510 129
By MayaR-31

(Aren's PoV)

I lie there as Elissa's hands slide over my back, I presume searching for wounds. It was not my most honourable deed, but her cry of anguish could not be faked and I am betting on it fooling them too.

She carefully turns me over and I hear her take a shaky breath then feel her hands upon my chest. I have to stop this charade, so wrap an arm around her back. She shrieks as I pull her down on top of me and open my eyes.

Those stunning emerald eyes of hers search mine. I must admit I am a little elated by the evident concern shining in them and probably like having her in my arms a little too much. Then I ruin the moment by winking.

"You..." she growls and I place a finger upon her lips. "... bastard," she finishes in an angry whisper.

My brow crinkles slightly. "I do not think my parents would appreciate you casting aspersions upon my lineage."

Now those eyes narrow at me. "Bite me."

"Do you know that, to an Animage that could be taken as an invitation?" I cannot resist teasing her and wrap my other arm around her lower back.

Evidently not amused, she hisses, "Let me go. Otherwise you will not be accepting any invitations."

She is possibly even more beautiful when angry and I find myself grinning. However, I dare not push her too much and loosen my hold. Elissa jerks free and glares at me.

I start to crawl away on hands and knees, using the trees as cover and motion for her to follow me. Our progress is torturously slow and I can feel her disapproval drilling into my back.

When we finally reach deeper cover, I stand and hold out a hand to help her up, but she pointedly ignores it.

"Elissa, please do not be angry with me."

"That was a mean trick you played back there."

"Were you worried for me?" I ask, shamelessly fishing.

"No." Her immediate response is tinged with irritation, but she is unable to maintain it. Studying the ground, a vulnerable quality enters her voice, "Yes, I thought that they had hurt you."

Placing a finger under her chin, I gently raise her face and apologise most earnestly, "I am truly sorry if I caused you anguish. They chase until their quarry falls. I wished them to believe that they had downed me."

Taking her hand, I kiss her knuckles and, not relinquishing my hold, lead her through the trees. The ground once again falls away, but this time in gentle, lush rolling hills.

"Welcome to my homeland." I feel my chest expand with jubilation. "If not for you, I might never have gazed upon it again."

......

The sight of steam rising from the large pool calls to my aching limbs. I recall happy memories of frolicking here, first as a child and then less innocently as a young man.

"I do not know about you, but I could do with a bathe," I announce.

Stripping to my braies, I sink within the water's warm embrace. Elissa remains standing on the bank.

I try to beckon her in. "The water is wonderful. It is not very deep, so you have nothing to fear."

Noticing the slight flush on her cheeks and belatedly remembering decorum, I turn my back and call out, "I promise not to peek."

The sound of rustling clothes teases my senses. It is followed by a soft splash and then a contented sigh.

I glance over my shoulder, smiling. "See. It is ..." The rest of the words catch in my throat at the sight of Elissa wearing a thin chemise, which is virtually transparent and clinging to her like a second skin.

"Aren, is something wrong?"

"Ah!" I turn away and flex my shoulder, trying to cover up my embarrassment at how she is affecting me. "I am feeling a bit stiff." Oh, very smooth, Aren.

"Do you want me to take a look at your shoulder? I took massage classes."

I rest my forearms on the bank and she glides up behind me. I am hyperaware of the closeness of her body and how little either of us are wearing. I should not be thinking such things. She saved me and it is my duty to protect her, not get diverted.

Her deft fingers work on the muscles in my upper back and shoulders. It is wonderful at first but then the pressure steadily increases until pain shoots down my back, causing me to cry out in complaint.

"It is supposed to hurt. You have a knot and I need to ease the pressure."

"Are you sure that you do not have a little dark elf in you?"

I only meant it as a joke, but Elissa pulls away abruptly. Turning to face her, my expression falls at the sight of the anguish in her face.

Fool, you have upset her, the eagle berates me.

"Elissa." I reach out and not sure where is safe to touch, settle on her upper arm. "You are nothing like them."

I give her my best big blue-eyed look, the one that has gotten me off the hook with mother or governesses on many an occasion.

"You are courageous and kind and intelligent and beautiful and ..." I am interrupted by a finger on my lips.

"You don't have to go overboard," she says, shaking her head, but there is a glimmer of a smile too.

"Will you tell me something of your life before?" I ask, genuinely curious.

"I was studying." She bites her lip and I wish she would not as it brings my attention to her lips. "I guess the closest equivalent here would be a healer of animals. What about you?"

Ah, I have not thought this through. "I suppose you could say that I am studying the skills of my forefathers."

"Like an apprentice?"

Giving a non-committal shrug, I direct the conversation back to her.

"I really hoped to work in conservation. In my world, man is ravaging the ecosystem and pushing some animals to extinction. I want to help preserve life." Her voice becomes more animated as she explains further.

I cannot help but admire her obvious passion and find myself falling a little further. She is unlike any lady I have encountered before.

"They say that the king of animals is the lion." She says, her eyes sparkling. "But for me it has to be the tiger."

Tiger - the word sends a shockwave through me. Closing my eyes, I try to subdue the presence in my mind, which is now very alert.

A gentle touch upon my cheek causes me to jolt upright and my eyelids spring open. She is right in front of me. For a moment her gaze gets distracted by the water droplets trickling down the ridges on my chest, before returning to my face.

I notice her slightly dilated pupils. Good, I affect her too.

She skitters away, like a frightened doe, and clambers hastily out of the water. The urge to pursue is too strong and the transformation ripples through me unbidden. I know that hazel is replacing the blue of my eyes, while my body thickens and I sprout black, white and orange fur.

The tiger gracefully leaps out of the pool, shaking off water and prowls towards Elissa. Backing away, she trips over.

Now a passenger in the tiger's mind, I command, Transform back.

The tiger ignores me and standing over Elissa's prone body, nuzzles her neck and licks her with his rough tongue.

Elissa giggles. "Alright, I surrender."

I try again to rein in the tiger. Give me back control.

The tiger gives a deep chuckle. I suppose in furless form we can have skin to skin contact. Shall I transform now?

Yes, er no. Wait! I realise what a compromising position that would put us in.

While I am in full control and harmony with my other forms, the tiger has a distinct, powerful and oft-wilful personality, so I try to keep it contained.

Elissa interrupts my internal argument. "Aren, can I take a proper look at you?"

The tiger allows her to sit up. It slinks around her, rubbing against her body and giving off a deep purr.

She runs her fingers through his, our fur. "You are magnificent!"

Suddenly my ears prick and my body stiffens. Ahead of us a haunting howl fills the air. Standing protectively in front of Elissa, my hackles rise and a low growl rumbles in the back of my throat.

Behind us comes an answering howl.

......

The High King is in his study when the head of his guard enters.

"Ah, Garrett. Tell me you have good news and that Nero has redeemed himself."

"My liege, as you know Lord Nero sent his captain to lead the pursuit. They are closing in as we speak."

"Good. The boy provided useful leverage against his father, while the girl could be the very key to recovering the Light of Elysium. How could he have let them slip through his fingers?"

"Sire, there were very powerful wards securing them," Garrett reasons.

"What do we know of her? Is the Watcher still being unhelpful?"

Garrett swallows. "Her origin is still a mystery."

Mood darkening, the king bangs his fist against a table, rattling glasses. "I want her secured."

............
AN - the song is Pools by Glass Animals. The video is really trippy 🙃
Aren's tiger is the presence that has been stirring in his mind and is now out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.6K 1K 32
Book 3 - Elissa got her happy ever after and the realm has enjoyed twenty five solars of prosperity. Now it is time for the heirs of Elysium to have...
20.6K 787 27
TEASER: "No fiancée of mine needs to learn how to fight." His breath flows upon the prickling skin of my neck. I close my eyes, involuntarily shu...
6.3M 404K 66
When a wounded dragon falls from the sky, Claire Evans runs into a cornfield to rescue it. This isn't just any dragon, he's a shifter, one of six roy...
3M 240K 60
After fulfilling an Unbreakable Promise, Claire finally accepts her new life in Dragonwall. She has discovered a new purpose--one she created for her...