Love Don't Know What Distance...

By kanersgirl

Maddie Clark, a university graduate decides to move back to Chicago, her home town. While trying to get her... More

Chapter 1- Welcome Home
Chapter 2- Jet Lag
Chapter 3- It's The Start Of Something New
Chapter 4- Battle Scars
Chapter 5- Run
Chapter 6- Moving In
Chapter 7- The Encounter
Chapter 8- Jealousy
Chapter 9- First Impressions Are Important
Chapter 10- Love At First Sight, If That Exists At All

Chapter 11- Heartache

589 12 10
By kanersgirl

Maddie's POV:

Natalie and I were standing in the hall right behind the guys bench watching them warm up as coach Q came over to greet us.

"Hello Maddie, and I take it this is your friend Natalie?" he said as he smiled and extended his hand out to shake Maddie's. "Yup, Maddie I think you know Coach Q" I joked and we all started laughing.

"Well ladies enjoy the game, the boys and I have a surprise for you after the game" Coach Q said before he turned away and focused his attention back to the players.

Natalie grabbed my arms and started jumping and I started jumping too, we both had the biggest smiles on our faces. "Can this day get any better?" Natalie said as she started laughing. "Oh it could" I smirked and threw and empty bottle at Leddy's head. He quickly turned around and I pointed at Natalie and I saw as both their faces turned red. Leddy flashed us a small smile as he turned around.

I also looked around and saw I got the attention of Andrew and he saw how embarrassed Nick and Natalie were and he got a chuckle out of it. He sat down next to Nick and started whispering something to him, I had a feeling I knew what he was saying but I didn't want to make Natalie any redder.

"You didn't have to do that" Natalie said as she slapped my arm. "Ouch! And oh I did, I know he likes you, and I know you like him too" I said just as Jim Cornelison was about to start singing the national anthem.

I looked around the UC to see 1000's of fans cheering and supporting their team. It kinda makes me proud to be a Hawks fan. It gives me this warm feeling in my stomach, like this is my home, where I belong.

I looked over at Natalie and saw her eyes locked on the back of Leddy's jersey. She was mesmerized by his every move.

Then I saw Coach Q tap Andrew's shoulder and before I knew it he jumped over the half wall and his first shift of the game as begun. I stepped a little closer to the ice to see what was going on. I noticed Kane had the puck and I literally had to hold my breathe, every time Kane has the puck something good happens.

I watched as he tried a wrap around attempt but it bounced off of Niemi's pads and landed right on Andrew's stick. I held my breathe for a moment but I knew what was about to happen. Andrew's one timer ended up in the top left hand corner of the net and just like that the goal horn went off and it was 1-0 Hawks.

Andrew threw his arms into the air and pointed right at me as I saw the biggest smile on his face. I smiled and waved my arms into the air and cheered as loud as I could.

All the players gathered around Andrew, and all the players on the bench were cheering. I took a moment and looked up at all the fans and they too were cheering. Then the familiar sound of Chelsea Dagger started to play and both Natalie and I were cheering as loud as we could.

The first period was soon over and all the players headed back into the locker rooms. Natalie and I decided to stay out on the benches a little longer and give the team a little time with the trainers and coaching staff to discuss plays and strategies and such. 

I was staring out at the crowd and really took in how great this arena was and how much I really loved being here. I looked over at Natalie and noticed she was in awe as well. 

A couple minutes passed by and I felt a hand on my waist and immediately  turned around to see Andrew behind me smiling. "C'mon into the dressing room" he said as he took my hand and motioned for Natalie to follow. 

We followed Andrew into the locker room, and as soon as we walked in Andrew took my to his stall and Natalie made her way over to Leddy's. I wasn't even gonna bother questioning her, by now we could all tell Natalie and Leddy had a thing for each other.

"Enjoying the game so far?" Andrew asked me as I sat down in his stall and he changed his shin pads. I nodded my head and smiled. "Yup, the crowd is amazing. And you guys played great. Nice goal by the way" I said and winked. 

"Haha thanks! I'm glad you're having fun. So I was wondering if you wanted to go out and get something to eat after the game?" he asked me as he was getting the rest of his gear on because period 2 was about to begin in a couple minutes. 

"I'd love to" I said and smiled as I stood up and kissed his cheek and walked out of the locker room with Natalie by my side. 

"What was that all about?" Natalie teased as she elbowed me. My face immediately turned a bright shade of pink as I tried to think of the right words to say to her. "Nothing" I said and looked the other way as the rest of the guys made their way onto the bench. I caught a glimpse at Andrew right before he hopped over the half board and skated over to center ice for the face off. 

"Girl don't lie to me" she whispered into my ear just as they were about to drop the puck to start off the 2nd period. I just smiled and ignored her, and sure enough she took the hint and focused on the game. 

10 minutes into the period and the we're still leading by 1. 1 goal leads worry me because all it takes is one shot to tie it up and another to win the game. I stood there nervously watching every move we made, ever pass we made, and ever shot we took. I was so into the game that I didn't realize Natalie was tugging at my jersey for my attention. 

I quickly shot a glance at her and raised an eyebrow, she just pointed up towards the jumbotron and that's when I saw it. In the corner was Andrew and Joe Thornton having a go. My heart started racing as I stood there perfectly still watching the fight erupt. I was so focused on the game I didn't even realize what had actually happened back there to start this brawl in the first place. 

I watched as Crawford came out of his to help the refs break it up between the two. Joe was throwing punches at Andrew like there was no tomorrow, Andrew skated around helplessly trying to throw a couple back and that's when I realized Andrew had no idea what was going on. 

Without thinking I jumped over the half board and ran over to them not even caring that I was now on the jumbotron and that 1000's of people were now staring at me with a look of shock on there face. I even heard Natalie yelling my name and telling me to come back.

I finally reached Andrew and with all the force in my I broke it up between them, but it was too late as I felt a very sharp pain piercing through my head. I let go of Andrew and fell to the ice. Joe immediately got down on his knees and tried to help me up. "I'm so sorry I didn't mean too" he said over and over again, and with every time he said that his voice got softer and softer. Everything around him got more blurry, and soon I blanked out.

~two hours later~

I opened my eyes to see bright lights everywhere, and hear the sounds of machines beeping. I knew very well where I was and why I was here. I shifted my head to the left to see Natalie sleeping in her seat. I blinked a couple times to get a good idea of my surroundings and that's when I heard a voice talking to me. 

"Hey you're up" said the voice and I turned my head to the right and smiled as I saw my dad sitting next to me. "Yeah, when did you get here?" I whispered. "I wanted to surprise you by visiting but i guess I'm the one who's more surprised." my dad chuckled. "Where's Andrew" I asked. All I could think about was Andrew, I wanted to make sure he was okay. When he was on the ice I noticed he was a bit.. unstable. And when I saw how weak his punches were at Joe I knew something was wrong with him and that he had no business fighting a 6'4 player in his condition. 

"I don't know.. sweetheart are you okay?" my dad asked me as I sat up straight. "I'm fine, I need to see Andrew" I insisted. Just as I said that a doctor came into the room and my dad got up and moved away from me. 

"Hi Maddie, I'm Dr Nelson. I'm just here to check on you to make sure everything's alright.. you see you suffered a mild concussion when you were hit in the head." the doctor went on to say but I wasn't paying attention to him at all. I was too busy thinking about Andrew. 

Finally I stopped hearing Dr Nelson's voice and looked back at him and smiled. "Thank you, I was actually wondering if I could check up on a friend?" I said and that's when my father stepped back into the conversation. 

"She's just a bit tired, I'll take care of this. Thank you Dr Nelson have a good night" he said and Dr Nelson just nodded his head and left the room. "You are not to go out with that boy anymore, is that clear?" my dad ordered as he focused his attention back on me. "W-why not?!" I stuttered, shocked by my fathers words and tone of voice.

"I'm doing my part as a father to protect you. This boy has hurt you, and I'm going to make sure he doesn't anymore. So do I make myself clear?" he said once more. I nodded my head as I felt tears well up in my eyes. 

He came up to me and leaned over me and kissed my forehead before he left the room. I just layed there crying as the thought of losing Andrew displayed clearly in my head. Oh great, another sleepless night for me.

A/N: Hey guys I'm so sorry I haven't been updating at all... It's just I had a lot of school work, and exam prep. But it's all over now so I hope to be updating not only this story but all my other ones very soon! Thank you for being so patient, and thank you for reading! I love you guys, and if you haven't read my other stories you should totally check them out! Thanks again and don't forget to vote, comment and fan! I love hearing from you guys so don't hesitate to message me or comment here :) 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

151K 5.2K 41
"𝐈𝐭'𝐬 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐈, 𝐂𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐫𝐲." [MATURE] After finally getting rid of her toxic boyfriend, Bethany Russo is ready to take control...
407K 6.3K 41
*Book one of the Counting on Hockey series* To Meredith, watching hockey was torture. But her sister was a hockey player. She wanted nothing to do wi...
319 7 11
Molly loves her life...well most of it. She has great friends and a wonderful family, but there is one thing that needs to change before she can tru...
46.8K 674 42
After the death of her brother, 12 year old Rian Fitzgerald goes into break down mode. She and her brother made a deal that he would push Rian until...