Take Me Back | ✔️

By itsbellaobrien

A lot can change in nine years. Sam's life has had a whole lot of different crazy. She's working for a top se... More

Foreword
PROLOGUE
1. SHE'S BACK
2. THE JOB
3. PLAN
4. FAMOUS
5. THIS JOB REQUIRES DATING
6. MY LIGHT
7. THE TRUTH ABOUT GABRIEL'S FATHER
8. MEMORIES
9. AN EXPLOSION
10. BAIT
11. BLACKMAILED
12. PICTURES
13. TOODLE-LOO
Big update: Bad News
14. BETRAYAL
15. THE PROMISE
16. WHERE SHE'S ALIVE
18. FAMILY ISN'T ALWAYS GREAT
19. MISSED YOU
20. FAMILY
21. GETTING PAST
EPILOGUE
bonus chapter - peace
q&a / afterword
FINDING HOME

17. UNDER THE CONDITIONS

5.3K 202 44
By itsbellaobrien

ALL OF US SAT ON THE CHAIRS of the hospital. I've always come to hate hospitals since I was in high school. I hated being here—knowing that Sam was inside of the rooms, badly injured, and I couldn't even see her. It was always only her family and Alex who pretended to be her bodyguard each time she was sent there.

Now, I'm sitting here, yearning to see her while they had banned anyone to see her as she was still in surgery.

A woman, came to the three of us, dressed in blue-green scrubs as her dark hair was tied into a bun. "Are you the family?"

Before I could even shake my head and say that Sean, her brother, haven't arrived yet, Alex had stepped closer pointing to me and nodding, "Yeah. He's the fiancée of Sam. How is she?"

Nodding, she continued, "Because of her severe blood loss from her gunshot wound to her shoulder and then, having another one to her chest, she's in a critical condition. There's a lot of bleeding in her chest, and the bullet had penetrated a pulmonary artery."

There was ringing in my ears but I still managed to find my voice. "Will she... will she be okay?"

"Right now, it's hard to say," she said. "We're still stabilizing her and finding the bullet. I'll update you once we have news."

Alex sat in front of me, a coffee in between his hands but he wasn't drinking at all. He was just staring at it intently while Polly was beside him, her hand on his back, caressing him, comforting him.

The woman had a crush on him and here she was, watching him be incredibly worried on another woman.

One that we both loved still.

"We came as fast as we could."

The three of us stood, seeing Sean and Adriana in front of us but that's not them that caught my attention. It was the boy in-between them who had the same eyes as Jason. Hazel eyes. And like him, the green was more prominent than the blue mixture in his eye color.

But other than that, he more like a masculine copycat of Sam. Brown hair, small pink lips, and square jaw. The nose on the other hand, looked like it came from Sean's which was obvious since they were related.

This is him. Gabriel. Sam's kid.

"Hey," Adriana was in front of me, catching my attention as she wrapped her arms around me. "It's good to see after these years."

She pulled away and proceeded to hug Alex while Sean came up to me and hugged me also. I don't mention the stitches by his hairline, knowing the story already. "I wish we could've had this reunion on a better circumstance. Anyway, you should meet someone—" he placed his hand on Gabriel's shoulder. "—this is Gabriel, Sam's son. Gabe, this is your other uncle whom you haven't met yet. His name is Travis."

I knelt down to the height of him. He looked like a six-year-old, maybe a seven as he stepped closer and I came to observe him more. He gave me a smile and held out his hand. "Hi, I'm Gabriel. Are you the one that's mommy's friend?"

Taking his small hand, I shook it. Who wouldn't like this kid? "Yes, I am, Gabriel. It's nice to meet you."

He smiled, shyly before pulling back and running to Alex who met him by grabbing him, carrying him up so he was able to wrap his little arms around his neck. "Uncle Alex, where's mommy?"

"She's still in surgery," Polly spoke up, causing for everyone to stare at her. She approached Adriana, shaking her hand. "I'm Polly. I was teamed with Sam."

Sean nodded, realizing who she was. "Yeah. You're with two other guys. What happened to them?"

"Agent Lee is at the hospital wing of our base," she answered. "He's currently in a coma. Agent Wills, however, did not make it."

So, Edward isn't dead? Thank God.

But Henry is.

"When were the family going to have the wake for him?" I inquired.

"Our agency handles every death of an agent," she replied, giving me a soft smile as she continued. "He fought bravely—" and he did "—and we'll be handling his wake this Monday. It's exclusive to families and agents only but you could go, Mr. Mason."

I nodded. "Thank you. He did protect me still."

It's the right thing to do. I'm still grateful for each of them so I'll have to go to his wake and visit Edward at the building, thanking him for what he did.

"I want mommy now."

Gabriel dug his face onto Alex's neck, shaking. We could tell that he was sobbing for her.

And each one of us felt that pain he was feeling.

But nobody could say anything that could comfort him.

We didn't even know if she was going to be okay.

"Hey."

My head popped up at the voice of one of my friends, Tyler.

He wasn't alone. He was with Robbie, Riley, and Lucas and they didn't come empty handed. They had baskets, flowers, and balloons in their hands. Still, all of us shared the same expression—worry, distraught, and sadness over the situation.

My lips twitched upwards, feeling thankful for their support. "Hey, what are you doing here?"

"Adriana called us," Lucas answered, pointing at her who sat with Sean beside him and Gabriel's head resting on her lap, sleeping. "Is that...?"

Nodding, I stood up and hugged each one of them. "That's Gabriel. Sam's son."

The kid's nose was a little bit red, and so were his cheeks from crying too much. He fell asleep in Alex's arms from crying too much and Alex refused to put him down until he got a call and Adriana took over, letting Gabe sleep on her lap as Alex and Polly went out of the room.

It's been about an hour and a half and they still haven't come back.

"He's so cute," Riley mumbled. "He looks like Sam."

"He really does!" Robbie shouted.

"Dude," Sean whispered loudly, pressing his index finger to his lips. "Don't wake the kid up."

"Sorry."

Tyler shook his head, walking over to me. "How long has it been?"

I couldn't even answer him.

The woman came back. This time, Sean, Adriana, and Gabriel were here with the three of us. "She's stabilized so that's good news."

All of us sighed in relief, Sean and Adriana hugging each other in celebration.

"The aortic dissection we have found is manageable," she stated, giving us a small smile. "She's going into surgery now but you have to know that there are still risks. We'll be able to—"

Then, her pager started to beep.

Her eyes widened and she ran back, leaving us with more questions.

"We don't know," Sean answered for me. "Some nurse went out to inform us that she went into shock when they thought that she was stable. She went back into surgery and we're still here, waiting for somebody to tell us what's happening."

"I want mommy," the boy muttered. His eyes still closed.

I want her too, Gabriel. Me too.

* * * *

I'VE LOST COUNT HOW MANY HOURS HAS PASSED. The rest of the guys decided to stay with us, giving their moral support. Alex and Polly never came back. And Sean went back to Sam's house, where they were staying for a while, to bring fresh clothes Adriana and Gabriel could change into.

They tried to talk to me, keep me distracted, but, no one has been successful. All I could see in my head was the image of Sam, lying on the ground, completely unconscious, with my arms around her, crying as I plead with her not to die.

Never have I felt so heartbroken in my life.

My ear pressed to her chest, trying to find the beat of her heart. "Okay, she's still breathing. She's still breathing. You're breathing."

My hands were on her face, noticing how she was starting to pale.

"Alex, fucking do something!" I cried out, my hand pushing him back to get him to do something. "We need to get her to a hospital!"

Alex stood, running out and yelling orders.

Tears were falling down to her cheek. She didn't even respond to that.

"Don't leave me. Don't leave me," I shook her.

It was no use. Her eyes were still shut.

And never have I felt so lost, unknowing of what to do as we all sat in this hospital, waiting for updates.

"Travis!"

My eyes snapped to Tyler who was in front of me, holding a muffin in front of me. "Eat something. You look like you're going to pass out if you don't."

I shook my head. No matter how much I knew he was right, I still couldn't bring myself to grab a food. My appetite disappeared and it hasn't come back while Sam was still in surgery. "I'll eat later."

I'll eat when she's okay.

*

to be honest with you guys, i almost cried while i was writing this chapter. This was so heartbreaking for me, placing Sam, the character who I've been writing about since I was a kid, in a situation like this. 

this is even worse than the pain i felt when she found out about who Michael really is.

i can't tell you and skip ahead if she's going to make it.

you'll just have to wait.

- bella xxx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

91.3K 3.3K 72
It's about an identical twins, they are seperated since birth and don't know that they have a twin, Each have different worlds and life.. Isabella w...
2.5M 78.2K 35
"How could you!" Xavier exclaimed. "Please no, it's not what it looks like," I said with tears running down my face. "With my best friend. Get out, b...
71.5K 3K 30
How do you protect the love of your life if he's sitting in prison for a crime he didn't commit? *** Isabella was happy - happier than she's ever bee...
42.5K 1.6K 37
"I saw that you were perfect and I loved you, then I saw you were not perfect and I loved you even more. " I said to him crying. He said "I hate you...