Chapter One(s) [COMPLETED]

由 joymoment

You know the feeling? The feeling of falling in love? Of reading the first few words of a book? Of diving int... 更多

A lovely author's note to you!
A Secret Service (Teen Fiction) (COMPLETED)
Three Weeks (Teen Fiction) (COMPLETED)
Holding Back (Teen Fiction)(COMPLETED)
A Pirate's Tale (Fantasy) (COMPLETED)
Nothing Super (Teen Fiction/Sci-Fi)(COMPLETED)
A Royal's Tale (Fantasy)(COMPLETED)
Totally Normal (Teen Fiction)
The Next Chapter (Teen Fiction)
Figuring Life Out (Teen Fiction)
Taking The Stage (Teen Fiction)
One More Day (Teen Fiction)
A Change of Plays (Teen Fiction)
Shadow (Sci-Fi)
A Lost Cause (Dystopian)
Stuck With You (Teen Fiction/ Sci-Fi)
Timeless (Sci-fi)
Fantasy Meets Reality (Teen Fiction)
Captive (Fantasy)
Two Worlds (Sci-Fi)
Learning Something New (Teen Fiction)
Still Here (Teen Fiction)
One Of The Pack (Werewolf)
Life of The Party (Teen Fiction)
What Lies Beyond (Teen Fiction)
Restless (Teen Fiction)
Lost Among The Galaxies (Adventure)
Chasing Freedom (Sci-Fi)
In Plain Sight (Action)
This Is Reality (Teen Fiction)
The Player Next Door (And I don't mean tennis) (Teen Fiction)
A Siren's Song (Teen Fiction/Sci-Fi)
Locked Away (Steampunk)
Holding On Too Tight (Sci-Fi)
Branded (Teen Fiction/ Fantasy)
Ghost (Sci-Fi)
Green Eyes (Teen Fiction)
Facing The Music (Teen Fiction)
Coffee Shop Girl (New Adult)

A Vagabond's Tale (Fantasy) (COMPLETED)

3.7K 198 117
由 joymoment

Twigs snapped beneath Gigi's bare feet as she hurried through a cluster of trees. Sunlight flickered in and out, as leaves fluttered. In the distance the faint strains of a fiddle drifted through the air. Coarse dirt gave way to uneven sand as she stepped onto a secluded beach. A warm summer breeze tumbled through the air and brushed passed her, pulling at her loose black curls and skirt. The salty tang of the ocean floated towards her. The sun's rays touched the edge of the world, trailing it's robe of soft peaches, oranges and pinks.

Gigi moved to the water's edge, the folds of her skirt clenched in her hand. Waves crashed against damp sand and raced up to engulf her feet. The undulating water before Gigi melted from her mind, as she conjured up images of grand ballrooms, lavish grounds, richly dressed lords and ladies. A smile tugged at her mouth as she sat in the vision.

The images vanished as a rush of cold water splashed over her feet. A sigh escaped her lips and the world came back into focus. She dropped her gaze, curling her toes in the sand. Her gaze rose, landing on a blurry object bobbing in the water. She narrowed her eyes as she leaned forward.

Gigi's heart faltered as clarity hit her. In an instant she was fumbling with the belt around her waist. The soft leather was tossed to the sand, followed a second later by her skirt. She splashed into the sea and dived. Cold water enveloped her. She burst through the surface, her arms stretching forward, pulling her further in.

Her heart pounded in her ears. Her breath came in short bursts. Salt water danced on her tongue and tangled her hair. Her arms ached, her legs beating against the ocean's current. Slowly the object took form before her. A plank of wood, an arm and half an upper torso.

Gigi pushed on, water dashing itself against her face. She let out a exhausted gasp as she curled her fingers around the waterlogged wood. Her lungs burned and the cold leeched her energy. The figure was a young man, black hair obscuring his face, his body soaked through.

Gigi shifted the plank. She wiped away the young man's hair, revealing refined features. She placed one hand on his chest but couldn't feel the thrum of a heart beat. Water lapped at the wood, splashing over, leaving one more coating over his body. Gigi eyed the sky warily, the last trails of the sun slipping beyond the horizon.

She turned back towards the shore and started kicking, one hand clamped on the wood. The tide carried her, buoying the plank behind her. Waves crested over her, trying to pull her down. Her shirt clung to her, tugging at her. Her body ached with fatigue as soft sand sank beneath her feet. She kicked harder, searching for a solid footing.

When she found purchase on the ocean floor, she turned back towards the wood. She wrapped her arms around the man's torso. Her limbs shook as she pulled herself and the man toward the beach. Gigi groaned as the water released them and she hauled the man further up the shore.

The body dropped lifelessly as she let go. Damp sand collapsed under her knees as she stumbled to the ground. She coughed up sea water, her body shaking with the effort. She took in deep gulps of air, as her gaze moved to the man. Taking one more deep breath, she shifted over to him.

Pulling her curls over on shoulder, she lowered her head to his chest and closed her eyes. Waves crashed around her, seagulls squabbled above. A smile touched Gigi's lips as she heard the faint drumming of his heart.

"Stars above you're alive. That in itself, is a miracle," Gigi breathed. "How did you survive?"

She looked at his handsome face, then drew back her hand and slapped him. He jerked awake with a sudden gasp, water spouting from his mouth. He rolled to the side, heaving up the contents of the ocean. His body trembled, his arms barely supporting him as his lungs emptied every drop of water. He turned to Gigi, his brown eyes meeting her dark blue, then he slumped back to the sand.

Gigi pushed herself up onto wobbly legs and staggered to her skirt and belt. With the last of her strength her pulled them on and headed up the beach. Tree limbs drooped above her, spindly limbs brushing the top of her head as she trudged through the forest. Voices and laughter floated on the wind, dancing towards her, pulling her forward. She stumbled into a clearing.

Canvas tents circled large fires that blossomed in the evening light. The smell of wood and strong stew filled the air. Barefooted children with wild hair scampered after each other, leaving gales of laughter in their wake. A tall, young man with a tan face and messy brown hair trotted up to Gigi, his hands tucked into the pockets of his worn trousers. His blue eyes beamed with merriment.

"Gigi!" he said.

Gigi reached for his arm, gathering her strength as she leaned on him.

"Huck. Sailor. Ship wreck," Gigi said, struggling to catch her breath.

Without a word of response her cousin pelted away from her. Gigi took in another deep breath, calming her pounding heart. Huck returned, leading a horse, his face serious.

"Show me."

Gigi turned back to the forest. She felt her strength slowly returning as they pushed passed limbs and wound their way around large trunks. Long shadows stretched across the forest floor.  The shore came into view, the sailor's body outlined in the fading light.

"He alive?" Huck asked, as they stepped onto the sand.

Gigi nodded. Huck tossed the rope to her, and hurried toward the limp body. With a grunt he hoisted the man over to the horse's back, placing a steadying hand on him.

"Lead the way back. I'll see he doesn't fall," Huck said.

Gigi turned back to the trees, retracing their path. The day's heat was melting from the air, pushed aside by a cool evening breeze. As they moved back into the clearing, heads turned in their direction. Children raced up, curious eyes beaming out of round, dirty faces. A slender girl, with wispy blonde hair hurried to Huck's side.

"What's happened?" she asked.

Huck smiled at the girl and a deep blush raced across her cheeks.

"Sailor. Ship wreck," Gigi said. "Isabel go find my mother. Tell her what's happened. We're taking him to my tent."

With a last glance at Huck, the girl ran off in the direction of the largest fire. Gigi guided the horse through the city of tents, murmurs following them as children trailed behind. Gigi stopped outside one of the uniform tents and pulled the flap open.

Inside were two thin straw beds, stacks of worn, faded books and bundles of clothing. Huck lifted the sailor off the horse, taking a step back as the weight fell on him. Gigi waited as Huck passed her and released the flap.

"Lay him down. Careful," Gigi said.

Huck threw her a muted glare as he grunted and lowered the sailor down. Gigi knelt beside the unconscious figure, wiping clumps of wet hair away from his face. Huck brushed off his pants and eyed the sailor, crossing his arms.

"Are you sure he's a sailor?" Huck asked.

His clothes were tatters. Along his jaw was a week's worth of growth.

"What else would he be?" Gigi asked.

Huck shrugged, still eyeing the figure.

"He doesn't have the body of a sailor," Huck said.

Gigi gazed over the figure, taking in his toned, but narrow build and his long thin fingers. The sound of voices grew and footsteps pattered outside the tent. The flap was pulled open. Gigi's mother strode inside followed by her father. Her mother's willowy figure was dwarfed by her father's broad shoulders and tall stature. Light brown hair framed her mother's delicate features.

"Gigi, step aside," her mother said, her voice lilting as she crouched beside the bed.

Her gentle hands moved over the man's body, looking for wounds.

"Where did you find him?" Gigi's father asked, his bass voice filling the cozy tent.

"He was in the water. Drifting on a piece of wood. I didn't spot anyone else," Gigi said.

Her father's worn features deepened in a scowl.

"Huck come with me. We'll gather together some other men and make sure there aren't any other survivors before the light fades," her father said.

He turned and disappeared from the tent, Huck close on his heels. Now that the initial feat was over, Gigi's body became leadened. Gigi's mother looked up at her, noticing her tired expression, wet hair and shirt.

"Isabel," her mother said.

The slender girl hurried into the tent, face expectant.

"Isabel, run and find Grandma Ivy. Tell her to bring her herbs," Gigi's mother said.

Isabel rushed from the tent, blonde hair flowing behind her.

"Gigi dear, change into dry clothes, we can't have you get sick," her mother said.

Gigi nodded. She moved to the bundles of clothes. A chill swept through her as she exposed her  damp, bare skin to the evening air. Relief came as she pulled on a dry shirt. The flap opened once more as a stout, grayed haired woman with lively green eyes stepped inside. In her wrinkled hand she carried a rough leather pouch, bursting with the scent of strong herbs.

"Isabel, gather your mother, Melene and Daria. We need a fire outside, fresh water and cloth bandages," Grandma Ivy said.

Isabel disappeared, her footsteps fading away. The old woman's gaze landed on Gigi and a crinkled smile darted across her parchment skin.

"Dear, you look only a little better than this man," Grandma Ivy said.

Gigi blinked through hazy eyes, her body weighed down, her brain slugging through her thoughts. Gigi's mother moved forward, wrapping a blanket around Gigi's huddled body. Grandma Ivy pulled out a small, brown plant and handed it to Gigi.

"Take this. It will ward off the cold and help your mind clear. As soon as the fire is built go sit by it. Now let's bring this man back," Grandma Ivy said.

Outside curious voices moved closer. The entrance to the tent filled with the presence of three women, followed by Isabel. Grandma Ivy barked out directions and the tent emptied once more. Logs clattered to the ground, as flint cracked. An orange glow flickered on the outside of the tent, shadows wavering on the wall. With stiff movements, Gigi pulled herself up and moved outside settling beyond the blaze but out of the way of the harassed looking woman.

*************

The sound of deep resonant voices floated through the encampment. A second later a lantern appeared sending the long shadows of Huck and Gigi's father swaying along the ground.

"Did you find any survivors?" Gigi asked.

Their faces told her the answer before their words confirmed it.

"No," Huck said.

He lowered himself down beside Gigi, resting his arms over his bents knees. Her father took a spot on the fragments of a broken tree branch and looked to the tent.

"Is he alive?" he asked.

"Not sure," Gigi said.

The tent flap opened and all three sets of eyes locked on it. Gigi's mother emerged followed by Grandma Ivy, both wore the look of soldiers returned from war. Grandma Ivy, smiled at Gigi's mother.

"Good work, dear," she said, patting her cheek.

She then drifted off into the night. With weary movements, Gigi's mother settled beside her husband, collapsing into his embrace. His strong arms, held her, pulling her closer. Two figures appeared, bearing steaming bowls and chunks of bread. Gigi's parents and Huck accepted the gifts gratefully.

Silence descended as they fell to eating. A faint melody of a mother singing a lullaby echoed in the air. Crickets chirped, their quivering voices joining in with the fire's crackle. Strength retuned and curiosity loosened the tired minds.

"Is he alive?" Gigi's father asked.

Gigi's mother nodded, brushing back a lock of hair.

"Alive. He woke up once but fell unconscious again," Gigi's mother said.

"What do you think happened?" Gigi asked.

Fire light flickered on the faces of her parents, thoughts clouding their eyes.

"Shipwreck. It must have been yesterday's storm," her father said. "It's hard to say where the ship was coming from. My suspicion would be up North, the Talvin port."

Gigi frowned.

"He was in the water for a almost a day then?" Gigi asked, astonished.

Her father scratched at his thick beard, staring into the fire.

"Most likely," he said.

"I would agree. His body suffered major damage because of the wreck," her mother said.

Gigi's eyes darted to the tent, picturing the battered man she had saved. Huck shifted beside her, pulling his thoughts from the flames.

"How can there be no other survivors?" Huck asked.

"It's possible there are other survivors, this one just got caught in the tide. I suspect we'll find more ship remains tomorrow," Gigi's father said.

The group fell silent, the thought of what they might find beyond the remains of the ship floating through the water. Gigi gave an involuntary shudder and pulled the blanket tighter.

"Do you think he's Talvish?" Huck asked.

Both Gigi's parents shook their heads.

"Talvin people are larger in size, very pale skin," her father said, he turned his gaze on his wife, his eyebrows raised. "What do you think?"

"He has the look of a Lorian, but how he came to be so far North I couldn't say," Gigi's mother said.

Images of Loria popped into Gigi's mind. The sweeping coastline. Bustling ports. The King's castle towering above the city. Huck's question pulled her back.

"Do you think he's a sailor?" Huck asked.

Gigi's mother shook her head, though there was a hesitancy in the gesture.

"No. His clothes, though torn, were still fine," Gigi's mother said.

"A merchant then?" Huck asked.

Again Gigi's mother hesitated, her thoughts drifting back to the tent, something stilling her words.

"Could he be a nobleman?" Gigi asked, her voice betraying her intrigue.

Huck made a disgusted sound and Gigi nudged his arm.

"It was just a question Huck, it doesn't mean that he is," she said. "Besides we would have seen a signet ring on his hand if he was."

"That's easily explained," Gigi's father said. "He would have lost it considering how long he was in the water. We'll have to wait and see who he is when he wakes up." 

Huck picked up a thin branch and snapped it in two, tossing it into the fire.

"I hope for his sake he's a merchant. Those people I can deal with," Huck said.

Gigi's father took on a stern expression, aging his usually untroubled features.

"Huck, no matter who he is, he is in our care and will be treated as one of us. Is that understood?" he said.

Huck scowled but nodded. Gigi's mind wandered off, images of elegantly dressed Lords and Ladies pulling her away. Her mother stood, her skirt swaying about her.

"Gigi dear," she said.

The reverie vanished as Gigi gazed up at her mother.

"I'm afraid our young sailor has taken your bed."

"You can sleep in our tent," Huck offered.

Gigi looked up, staring at the canopy of stars. Warmth radiated from the fire, curling around her.

"I'll sleep by the fire tonight. It doesn't look like rain. I'll be fine," Gigi said.

Her mother gave her a long, studying gaze.

"Are you sure?"

Gigi nodded. Her mother moved over to her and kissed her forehead. A soft, thin hand brushed aside a strand of Gigi's hair, then cupped her cheek.

"I'm proud of you for saving that man's life. Sweet dreams dearest," her mother said.

Gigi gave her a warm smile.

"Sweet dreams mother."

Her father stood and followed her mother into the tent. A moment later he reappeared, carrying blankets.

"I don't want you to get too cold," he said, laying them beside Gigi.

A rough, callused hand stroked her cheek.

"Love you."

He kissed the top of her head.

"Love you father."

The flap closed behind her father and Gigi made up a makeshift bed by the fire. She laid down, the scent of grass and wood smoke filling her nostrils. Wordlessly, Huck laid down on the opposite side of the fire, his hands tucked beneath his head. Murmurs of distant voices floated on the wind. Sparks burst from the fire and licked at the night air. Trees whispered, leaves talking amongst each other. Gigi stared up a the sea of stars.

"Huck?"

Her voice barely carried over the flames.

"Hmmm?"

Gigi shifted, glancing over at her cousin, his long frame stretched out, relaxed on the bare earth.

"Do you think he could be a nobleman?" she asked.

Huck shrugged, the movement stirring the ground.

"For your sake, I hope not."

Gigi lifted herself to her elbow.

"Why my sake?"

Huck looked at her, firelight reflected in his blue eyes.

"You would have saved a noblemen. Could you live with that on you conscience?"

Gigi tossed a twig at him and it bounced off his chest. He gave a deep, rolling laugh that echoed through the night. An amused smile played across Gigi's lips. She lowered herself back to the ground. Huck turned over and a second later came the sound of his deep breathing.

Gigi watched the flames dance and shiver, their long tendrils of light like bare tree limbs tossed about by the wind. Her body grew heavy and her eye lids sagged. An owl hooted, its called answered by another. As reality slipped away, Gigi felt dreams of lords and ladies creep in, pulling her into a world of glittering color.

**************

Heeeeelllloooooo! (Say it out loud with a weird accent and it's hilarious)

Haha so this is kind of a different sort of style than you are probably used to but what can I say my head is crammed with stories and not all the same genre. I'm awesome. *flips hair, flies into face, spins and collides with a post* Yup never mind, I'm not.

This is a story about a simple gypsy getting tossed into a world she never thought she would be a part of because of a chance meeting and a connection that had never been realized.

It's kind of random, but I came up with the idea when I was listening to Emma by Jane Austen. Haha random right?!  In the book gypsies are mentioned briefly and that sent me thinking about gypsies. I've always love the idea of them, because they don't live by social norms. The story took off from there and became this grand adventure for one girl who has lived her life believing she was the lowest a person could ever be in society.

So what do you think? Fantasy might not be your cup of tea but are you curious enough to want to keep reading?

Vote, comment, follow! 😄

繼續閱讀

You'll Also Like

130 0 21
~CAUTION this story may have events that are way too graphic and realistic for some readers to handle~ "All of us at this table has issues, some wor...
81.4K 926 28
To say, if someone were to ask you to say your life from highschool to now in four words in this book it would be: Crazy bitches and tits. You were o...
2.3M 41K 61
Football players are assholes. I know; I'm related to their king. My older, and annoyingly overprotective, brother Jake is the star quarterback at Sa...
256K 5.2K 41
'And suddenly all the love songs were about you........'♡♡♡ *** If you are looking for a cliché bad boy story, hop in. And also if you're looking for...