Falling Helplessly

By annasteffey

Miles Cunningham is not the right guy to fall for. Isabella knows that. So when he decides to barge his way i... More

❤︎Authors Note ❤︎
Chapter 1 | Everything is Perfect
Chapter 2 | Do you have to go?
Chapter 3 | I Took Yours
Chapter 4 | The Truth Hurts
Chapter 5 | Good Gossip
Chapter 6 | Pumpkin
Chapter 7 | Red Car
Chapter 8 | Forgetting
Chapter 9 | Have I been kidnapped?
Chapter 10 | Spark
Chapter 11 | Rabbit Hole
Chapter 12 | Your Fault
Chapter 13 | Sir Cunningham
Chapter 14 | Pencil
Chapter 15 | Peace Offerings
Chapter 16 | Out of My League
Chapter 17 | Getting Over You
Chapter 18 | Daddy Issues
Chapter 19 | Enough Flirting
Chapter 20 | Just like Heaven
Chapter 22 | Getaway
Chapter 23 | Fake ID's
Chapter 24 | Stop sexting Cunningham
Chapter 25 | Don't Rock the Cart
Chapter 26 | Back Story
Chapter 27 | Gala
Chapter 28 | I'm Yours
Chapter 29 | Scrapbooking
Chapter 30 | Bucket List
Chapter 31 | Unexpected Visits
Chapter 32 | Beautiful Broken Boy
Chapter 33 | Milesey-Poo
Chapter 34 | Questions
Chapter 35 | Benefit of the Doubt
Chapter 36 | Burn
Chapter 37 | Sugar Daddy
Chapter 38 | My Humps
Chapter 39 | The Lake
Chapter 40 | Stay Open
Epilogue | Falling Helplessly

Chapter 21 | Jump his Bone

76.6K 2.5K 643
By annasteffey

21

─── • ─── 

ISABELLA

"Finally!" Addy squeals, jumping up and down. "It's about damn time you guys started dating! Did you jump his bone?"

My jaw drops and I swat her arm. "No, Addy, but thank you for asking."

"I'm happy for you." She nudges me. "See, I knew what I was doing leaving you there alone."

I snort, opening my textbook. "Yes, I have you to thank. But now you have to scram because I need to study."

I turn back to my desk, resuming my study session. But like an idiot, I can't stop smiling or thinking about last night. His lips felt almost exactly like I imagined, but better.

I have kissed other guys before. Some were short-term boyfriends and some for the heck of it. But I can safely say I never felt anything remotely similar to how I felt with Miles. He was gentle and needy, and he touched me with such admiration.

Now he's mine, and that frightens me. Even though I said I trust him, it scares me he doesn't trust himself. Having your heart broken hurts like hell. It feels like someone reaching into your chest, grabs your heart, and squeezes until it pops and you don't feel anything anymore. But I can't fear that if I want to be happy.

My thoughts are interrupted by my phone. I hastily grab it, thinking it's Miles. I pout slightly when I see it's just a text from Lucas.

I open messages and bold words pop up on my screen.

"We need to talk - Lucas"

After receiving that text message, I don't hesitate to meet Lucas at Rosie's. He wouldn't talk to me over the phone, which I found strange. So, I had to come here.

I slide into the seat across from him and he greets me with a coffee he already paid for. Although it makes me slightly uncomfortable, I thank him, digging for cash in my wallet, but he dismisses my payment.

"No need to pay me back, it's on me for agreeing to meet. How are you?" he questions.

"Oh, well, thank you." I cast a coy smile. "I'm pretty good under the circumstances."

"What circumstances?

"Exams." I scrunch my nose in disgust.

"Oh yeah, I've been studying my ass off. Sorry If I interrupted your studying." I tell him he interrupted nothing, albeit he did. Suddenly his mood changes.

He stares at me deadpan. "Anyway, I needed to speak with you about something."

"About?"

"Miles," he says casually. The mention of Miles' name catches me off guard and I furrow my eyebrows, confused. I don't think Lucas has any idea Miles and I are together. I mean, word gets around fast, but not that fast.

"What about him?" I question hesitantly.

Dramatically, he releases a breath. But he doesn't look like he's contemplating what to say, he looks like he's rehearsed this. "Miles and I went to high school together."

"Oh, I didn't know that."

"Yeah, I'm telling you this because you have a right to know before you get serious with him." Well, shit. "Well, we used to be best friends, but during our senior year, he changed. I was in a great relationship with this girl, and Miles was jealous." He sighs. "He got all the girls, but he wanted mine.

"One day Elisha and I got in a fight. Miles waited until she was weak enough to get into her pants. It wasn't the first time he did that; it was something he liked to do for fun."

Lucas looks too excited to be telling me this story. Yeah, Miles has done some ignorant things, but I sense Lucas' bluff. Of course, I can tell Lucas has some sort of feelings for me. So, I wouldn't be surprised if this was all a ploy to get rid of Miles. But I didn't think I was feeding into his feelings until now, and that has to stop.

"I see," is all I say. He leans back in the booth, slightly puzzled by my answer.

"You don't seem upset." He scans my face for a reaction. So, I listen to my conscience and play dumb.

"What else has he done, Lucas?" I try to sound worried.

He sits up. "Well, he also made fun of many people... He isn't someone you want to be with."

I stare at my folded hands in my lap. "Wow..."

Wow as in, wow, I'm such an amazing actress.

He leans in, reaching across the table to push my chin up so my eyes meet his. "Don't be sad."

I pull back swiftly so he can't touch me and smile apologetically. "Thank you for telling me, Lucas." I stand. "I should get going, I need to study some more."

And I'm out of there before he can even say bye.

In the car on our way to campus, Addy screams, "Turn it on now! Right now!"

It's finally midterm day. Let's just say I am not doing well. I've already had an anxiety attack and I'm probably going to have another. Addy is walking on eggshells around me as if I am going to crack any second. But if there is one thing we've learned, it's that music puts us in the right spirit. So, I follow her command and hit play on my phone.

Our favorite song blares through the car speakers. Like idiots, we scream-sing and take turns when solos come on. When The Cure comes on, it makes me think of Miles, which sends a smile straight to my face.

Speaking of Miles, I decided not to ask him about Lucas' story just yet. I don't want to stress us both out before our exams. Plus, I have a strong gut feeling that it isn't true. Hence, I'm not worrying about it.

Our jam session ends when we arrive at school. And now it's game time. We head to our respected lecture hall, where our test is being held, and find open seats beside each other. Nothing stresses me out more than taking tests; I've never been good at it.

I draw in a deep breath and pull out my phone as a distraction until we start. Addy does the same.

One unread message:

"Hey Darlin', check your backpack pocket... I hid something in there;) Good luck, you'll do great on your tests, I'll see you after. - The handsomest person you know."

I smile at the message like a halfwit. I'm glad his ego hasn't deflated since the last time I saw him. I follow his direction and open the smallest pocket, only to find a sticky note attached to smarties.

"Is your name Flecainide? Because I think you just made my heart skip a beat... Good luck, smartie pants. - Miles."

I let out a hearty laugh and I suddenly feel at ease.

I finish the exam with a couple of minutes to spare, booking it out of the lecture hall as fast as I can. Miles texts me he's parked in front of the Psychology building so I head over to meet him there.

I find him leaning against the side of his car, staring at his phone. But when he sees me, his face illuminates. "Hey, Beauty." He pulls me into a bear hug, pressing a hearty kiss to my forehead.

"Hello, how was your exam?" I question as he opens the door for me.

"Good," he replies, climbing into the driver's side. "How was yours? Did my surprise help?"

I laugh. "Oh totally, but I saved the smarties for us to share as a victory reward."

I fish the smarties out of my backpack and we share them on the way back to the apartment. When we get inside, he tosses his bag onto the floor and hurls his body onto the couch. I sit down beside him and pull his head into my lap.

"So, you think you did well?" he inquires, gazing up at me.

"Yeah, all my stress-induced studying paid off, what about you?"

"I think I did okay too."

We sit in silence for a little as I run my fingers through his hair. It's strange, we've only known each other for a short amount of time, but we act as if we've known each other forever. He is nothing like I thought he was. Nothing like Lucas depicted him to be.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you, Lucas and I met up yesterday," I state, and his eyes grow wide. He sits up, staring at me like I've lost my mind. But he doesn't speak, instead, he waits for me too.

Like ripping a band-aid off, I let everything out.

"He started by saying how you guys went to high school with each other and were best friends. Then he said in your senior year, you changed. You were jealous of his relationship with some girl named Elisha."

Miles' eyes go wide. "Are you serious? That is a complete lie!"

"Yeah, I figured. He told me they got into a fight, and when she was sad, you used that to get into her pants. He said you did it all the time for fun."

"That prick," he says through gritted teeth, then turns to me with worry. He crouches down at my knees, grabbing my hands. "You know, none of this is true. You know-"

"Miles don't worry. I know." I squeeze his hands in return. A tiny sigh escapes him, and he rests his head in my lap once more. Miles delves into his relationship with Lucas and how competitive it was. I listen intently, understanding why he freaked out on me when I told him I knew Lucas.

Miles wants revenge, but I assure him it's not worth it. All that matters is I believe him.

Even if we got revenge, Lucas wouldn't change. He will always have a problem wanting what Miles has. So instead of dragging the situation out, I promise to cut him out of my life.

━━━─── • ───━━━

QOTD: What are your favorite hobbies?

Other than writing/reading, I love photography and painting!  

╔═══━━━─── • ───━━━═══╗

INSTAGRAM & TWITTER: annasteffeyy

vote • comment • follow

Thanks for reading ♡

╚═══━━━─── • ───━━━═══╝

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 417 50
Some people wait their whole lives to find the perfect friend. But not Isabella Washington. She knew she'd be best friends with Aiden Cunningham the...
2.8K 263 46
Killian had been away in California for two long years, but now he was back in his hometown of Nevada. His best friend Bree was about to start her...
1.3M 40.9K 36
In this sequel to Falling Helplessly, Miles and Isabella find each other again. It's as if they're meant to be. What will the future hold for them? ...
151K 4K 35
"So here I am, bawling my eyes out on my bed. I've got mascara streaming down my face, my eyes are red and puffy, I can't breathe, and it feels like...