How We Were | ✔️ (Complete)

By MegHahn

[WATTYS 2016 WINNER!] [COSMOPOLITAN Featured!] Trapped in her white trash hell, Layla Danner is failing at li... More

1. Peyton's Back
2. Girls
3. Jake
4. Dinner and a Swim
5. Charlotte Bishop
6. The Accident
7. The Ankle
8. Jake, Before Me
9. Shana
10. iPhone
11. Mother
12. The Run In
13. Peyton and his S(t)(c)ars
14. When Layla Met Peyton
15. Palomino
16. Stampede
17. Friends in low places
18. Go Home, Layla
19. Mrs. Bishop
20. I, Spy
21. Maybe Tomorrow
22. El Paso
23. No-Tell Motel
24. Summer Storms
25. The Barn
26. The Closet
27. Atlas Shrugged
28. Buck Reynolds
29. Happy Birthday, Peyton
30. Like Romeo
31. The Morning After
32. Almost Lover
33. 945 Echo Trail
34. Tan Legged Juliet
35. Sonic, Take Two
36. Noble Elise
37. Gunnar
38. Alice, from Wonderland
39. Go Time
40. The Jet Set
41. Cowboy, Take Me Away
42. The Million Dollar Kiss
43. A Few Good Men
44. Girls in Bikinis
45. Satan's Ride
46. Daddy
47. Purple Rain
Author's Note: Dirty Chapters
48. Come To My Window
49. A Different Morning After
50. Peyton and Jake
51. Two Mistakes
52. Mea Culpas
53. Whiskey Lullaby
54. The Queen of Diamonds
55. It's a Thing
56. The Persistence of Memory
57. Charlotte's Web
58. Fire and Rain
59. So Long, My Love
60. Electra
61. August and Everything After
62. Peyton's Back (Again)
63. And Then The Storm
64. "Baby, I Fucked Up" and "Stay"
65. Layla and Jake
66. The Windy City
67. The Last Stop
From Meg, To You

68. Here Comes the Sun

62.2K 2.5K 1.4K
By MegHahn

Peyton Bishop looked so out of place standing at the door to my shitty little apartment in Chicago, Illinois, that I laughed.

He was perfect, all six feet two inches of him, perfect from the tips of his golden blond hair all the way down to his loafers, handcrafted in Europe by designers with names that I still couldn't pronounce.

He smiled, his hands shoved deep into the pockets of his neatly pressed khakis. "Ready to go?"

Leaning against the door frame, I stared at him for a while. Then I smiled and shook my head. "No." I closed the short distance that separated us and sat down on the steps, the metal warmed by the approaching dawn. "Peyton, come sit with me for a while."

He did, and we listened to the sanitation workers shouting orders at each other over the whirring of the garbage truck's gears. I sighed some, then fiddled with the small square of paper in my hands, folding it this way and that, tracing its edges against my skin.

"Did he call you?" I asked.

"He called Karla, she's-"

"I know who she is. When?"

"Four hours ago," he said. "I came as soon as I heard."

After a moment of hesitation, I offered the note to Peyton. He tapped it against his palm a few times, then unfolded it. I turned away just before he revealed the contents though, looking instead at the beat up little courtyard below us, littered with debris and dog shit.

I didn't need to see it again, the single word, hastily scrawled in Jake's handwriting: 'Sorry'.

"After everything, that's all I get- sorry. It's all gone, his clothes, his things, his guitar. Left the note and the money," I shrugged. "And me."

It had all been too much, the shock of seeing Peyton at the police station, coming home to an half empty apartment. I mean, I knew the moment I saw Peyton that Jake had gone, but to see see it with my eyes? It broke my heart and made me feel like I was a million years old.

Before I had a chance to melt down over it, I put Jake and all the baggage he had left behind in a nice little box and shut it away in the back of my heart for later. Or maybe never. How does a girl even begin to process something like this?

Peyton folded the paper back up and handed it to me. I held it for a moment longer, then flicked it over the railing. "I need to go home."

"To Texas?"

"I think Brandy'll take me in, I'll find a job. Things will be okay, anything will be better than this."

He nodded, pretended to consider. "Only problem is, I was hoping to take you home with me."

Oh, Peyton.

My muscles ached and my head pounded so I stretched and rubbed my eyes. "I can't go with you, you deserve so much better than me." I forced myself to look at him, right in the eyes. "I basically dropped you for the first pretty face that came around."

He considered, this time in earnest. "You did, but I could've stopped you. And I didn't."

I wrinkled my nose. "That's true. What the fuck, Peyton? This is all your fault."

He smiled. I did too.

"And now the two of you are basically trying to pass me around."

He shrugged. "Basically."

Old habits died hard and we were back to talking in between the lines again, making light of the situation. We both knew it was a lot more than that.

Peyton rubbed his thumb on his palm, lost in thought. "It kind of works out though. Before this, I was paralyzed by the possibility of my life making you miserable, but this? Let's get out of here, Layla, this place is a mess."

If only...

He moved to stand so I stopped him with a sharp tug to the leg of his pants. "Wait, I

have more things that I need to tell you."

Shame prevented me from looking at him so I kept my head down. His expectant gaze pricked at the top of my head, set my skin on fire.

This is it, the last time we'll ever be how we were. After I tell him, he'll never look at me the same again. Or think of me in the same way.

"I did some really bad things," I said.

Oh Peyton, why did you have to come here at all? Why couldn't I have stayed a beautiful memory for you?

But I told him. Everything about my shameful downfall.

Peyton's lips pressed into a grim line and he remained silent for a few more minutes in that way of his, eternally patient, waiting to see if I had more to say.

I didn't.

He threw his hands up in the air. "Well, that changes everything. Alright, let's get you a bus ticket back home so you can spend the rest of your life repenting this unforgivable trespass. Don't you know that a woman's virtue is the only measure of her worth? That it needs to be guarded at the risk of life and limb?"

"Stop it." Half laughing, I nudged him with my shoulder. "This is serious, Peyton, I took my clothes off for men who-"

"I know what a lap dancer does, Layla. I've paid more than my fair share."

I wrinkled my nose at him. "For real?'

He furrowed his brows. "Are you for real?"

We blinked at each other for a while.

"I can't believe you'd think that I'd judge you for that kind of stuff when... I mean, look at me, Layla. Really look at me."

I did, but saw nothing but the same Peyton that I'd always seen.

"I'm the biggest mess on earth," he said. "I've got so much blood on my hands that it's a crime for me to walking the streets. The only reason I'm not locked up is because I have money, money I did nothing to earn, mind you, just happened to be born under some freak star."

I clucked my tongue. "Don't say that, Peyton, you only did the things you did because you loved her."

"And you only did what you did because you loved him."

If we weren't in the middle of the city, the crickets would've been deafening.

"I loved him too," said Peyton, "you don't even want to know what I did to make the Gunnar Keith thing go away."

Mmmm-ing, I picked at my toenail polish. "I never thought I was capable of doing the things I did. I never would've thought... You don't think I'm disgusting?"

He glanced at me. "I mean, your hair's as greasy as I've ever seen it, and you're all around kind of grubby, but other than that...it's just you, Layla."

Tears welled in my eyes, the relief of his words overwhelming. I cleared my throat and aimed for flippant. "Don't be rude, Peyton."

"Me? Rude? Layla, did you even thank me for coming to your rescue?" he teased.

How does a girl not smile at something like that? Being around Peyton made me feel like my old self, the Layla I liked to be. "Thank you, Peyton."

"You're welcome, Layla."

"I don't deserve you," I said.

His smile was more of a grimace. "I don't deserve me either, but what can we do. What? Why are you crying?"

So I told him about the girls at Starbucks, how different their reactions had been.

"There will always be self-righteous people who are quick to judge you. Let them. Let them gather among themselves, slap each other on their backs, toast to their morally upstanding lives. That's not a party you want to be at anyway, you know?"

Swallowing back the lump in my throat, I nodded.

"We're all works in progresses. You make your mistakes, learn from them, grow from them. Whatever you can't forget, you bury it deep and move on." He shrugged. "That's the Cliffnotes version of twelve years of very, very expensive and time consuming therapy."

"I don't know, I feel like I've changed, and I don't know if we can go back to how we were."

What I really meant was...how we'd left off.

Peyton looked off into the distance and sucked air in between his teeth. Then he clucked his tongue. "See, now you're making things awkward for yourself. I didn't come here to ask you out on a date."

That made me laugh, really laugh, for the first time in months.

And blush. What a relief it was to know that I still had it in me to blush.

He stood and slipped his hands into his pockets. "Don't overthink things. Whatever we were, whatever we are, whatever we become, I'll always be your friend first."

I nodded.

"And my life's just easier with you in it," he said.

Tears free flowing from my eyes, snot free falling from my nose, I nodded again.

He made a face. "Now you're really getting gross."

I laughed.

"So? You're eighteen tomorrow, an adult, so you decide. What's it gonna be Layla? Let the first mistake you make break you, or give yourself another chance to see what else you might be capable of?"

"One minute." I ran into the apartment and grabbed my backpack. I dumped out all the junk that had accumulated over the months and filled it with clean underwear and my daddy's flashlight.

The money, I left where I knew Mrs. Cook, the groundskeeper, would find it. She was a single mom with a gazillion kids and would put it to good use.

"Peyton! Wait for me!" I flew down the stairs.

Peyton ran from me, made me chase him all the way down the block.

Laughing, I did, my backpack bouncing off my ass in rhythm to my pumping legs. "Peyton!"

After a while, he slowed down and let me catch up. Once I was beside him, he draped his arm over my shoulders, supporting me and leaning on me at the same time. You know, like friends do.

So I did the same to him.

And as we walked toward the sunrise, he started to whistle. 'Here Comes The Sun', by the Beatles, the same song Jake had played for me on that morning, a lifetime ago, just before I'd kissed him for the first time.

Life was such a mind fuck.

I put my hand in Peyton's, wrapped my fingers around his. "Where are we going?"

He stopped whistling and thought about it. "I don't know, Layla, but we'll get there."

A/N: Please see my notes in the next chapter for more information! ^_^ Thank you for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5K 220 14
They say opposites attract. But that wasn't the case for Layla and Jaxon. BEFORE Both bear the deep scars of despair, and for that, they were unknow...
935K 70.4K 42
***WATTYS 2021 YA WINNER*** When her handsome nemesis challenges her to a bet, ambitious eighteen-year-old Nyla must go on more dates than him or ris...
906K 46.6K 41
After an embarrassing night out, ambitious college student Poppy finds herself assigned to tutor New York's most infamous bad boy heir. ...
10.3M 411K 54
Ranked #01 for Teen Fiction X4 *A WATTPAD FEATURED STORY!* WHS Story of the Month Winner: Teen Fiction The Fiction Awards Winner 2017; Best Overall S...