Won't Stay Down For Long

By mighty_midget22

Abigial is an elete gymnast that fell on her back during Worlds. She is stuck in the hospital for a few month... More

Chapter 1: Won't Stay Down For Long
Chapter 2: Unknown Visitor
Chapter 3: My New Boyfriend
Chapter 4: My New Roomate
Chapter 5: The Little Gymnast
Chapter 6: Bad News
Chapter 7: Birthday Surprise
Chapter 8: I'm Going Home
Chapter 9: Going Outside
Chapter 10: Morning Before the Date
Chapter 11: First Part of the Date
Chapter 12: Last Part of the Date
Chapter 13: Back to Gym
Chapter 14: Finally Walking Again
Chapter 15: You Never Know What Your Future Holds
Chapter 16: Falling Apart
Chapter 17: Jessica Leaving
Chapter 18: Not His Fault
Chapter 19: Please Can I Have Three Wishes
Chapter 21: Awkward Apology
Chapter 22: The Blend

Chapter 20: Clumsy James

207 10 2
By mighty_midget22

Please remember to Vote and Comment!!!

*****************************************************************************

For the next hour I formed a circle through the wood floor where I had been walking in a circle over and over again. I had a stupid smile on my face when I made a full circle without making a mistake. You will never understand how much a gift it is to walk until you get it stripped away from you for months.

While I was having the best time in what seems like months when it probably just been a few days, my mom was a nervous wreck. She has been running around the house making dinner and making herself look pretty like a chicken with her head cut off. The house smelled amazing from my mom’s rolls that were in the oven now. Halfway through one of my loops the beeper on the oven went off. Seconds later my mom strolled into the kitchen with the calmest look she has on her face four the past hour. She puts on one of the oven mitts and pulls out the rolls and sets them down on the top of the stove. Then she spun on her heel so she could face me while she ripped the oven mitt from her hand.

She gave me a sweet smile and then told me in a higher pitched voice," You need to go get changed and make yourself look like you didn't just get back from a marathon run before James gets here."

I stopped walking and turned towards my mom. I gave her a bitter looking face and I complained to her," He isn't even my boyfriend. Why do I have to get pretty for him?"

My mom stares right at me and I swear I could feel the heat of her stare burn a hole right through the middle of my forehead. She then told me in a stern voice," I'm not asking for you to get all dolled up for him. I'm asking for you to look like you didn't just got done running a marathon."

I gave her a small smile, all I was actually was doing was trying to poke her buttons a little bit. Using my crutches I made my way to my bedroom. I stripped off my chalky and sweaty leotard and put on some jean capris with a sparkly tank top from Hollister. I also redid my hair and just threw it back up into a tight ballerina bun. I didn't even bother on putting on any makeup.

I strolled out of my bathroom and found James sitting at our kitchen table watching my mother finish dinner. My mother heard me close my door behind us and she twisted her body around so that she was facing me. James of course also turned his attention to me so now there was an awkward silence while everyone stared at each other. My mother interrupted the silence by introducing me to James and James to me. We laughed at each other of how awkward the situation turned out to be.

We all sat down at the dinner room table as we waited for the rest of our dinner to get done cooking. By just looking at James you could tell that he was attractive, but he had this nerdy look to him. Maybe it was just the glasses that he was wearing that made him look nerdy. He was also semi tall and had lit blond hair. He was had some freckles that spread across his cheeks. For some weird reason he reminded me of Stuart Little so much.

The beeper of the oven went off right when we were in a heated debate about whether of not it would be a good idea to own a tea cup pig or not. I really liked how he never brought up the topic about my accident or gymnastics or really anything about my personal life. We just talked and debated about the most random things that you could imagine.

I got up from my chair to help my mom set the table. With a turkey in her hands, my mother turned to me and said in a higher pitch voice than usual," Abigail what about you just sit down and rest your legs. James can help me instead."

At the mention of James's name he stood up as fast as you think possible. On his way up he hit the table with his hand, making the table vibrate. I smiled down at my chest at how clumsy he really is when he isn't trying to look good in front of people.

James and my mom circled around the kitchen area, grabbing different foods from the fridge and the counters. He also knew right where the plates and cups where. I wonder how many times he has actually came over without me knowing? I let it slip as I watched our dinner get set onto the table.

After the turkey was set in the middle of the table and all the appetizers were set in a circle around it, James and my mom sat back down in their original seats. We passed around all the dishes taking what we wanted of each.  "So James would you like to say the blessing?" my mom asked James. James already had a piece of turkey on his fork and was about to devoured the rest of the meal. 

James looked up from his meal and set the fork back down on his plate. "Yes I certainly will." 

Usually my mom and I never say a blessing for any meal when we are alone. This spiritual event only occurred when my mom had some clients over for dinner or she just wanted to impress someone.

Everyone bowed their heads and crossed their own fingers together. "God please bless this food and everyone around it that none of us will go hungry or in need. God, thank you for this food and for everything that we have. Amen." 

We all raised our heads and untangled our fingers. We all dung into our meal. James would occasionally comment about how good one of the appetizers was. I wish that my mom would cook like this more often, but usually we don't have time to make our own meals. Usually we go out to eat or it’s a bowl of macaroni and cheese in the microwave.

After our amazing meal, my mom and I stayed to do dishes and James went to watch TV. On the couch because my mom told him that he is our guest and shouldn't be any more helping. James agreed with her probably not wanting to get in an agreement with her and went to watch "He Almost Got Away with it". 

For me doing dishes was much more challenging than what I was expecting. I had to put one of the crutches on the table and rely on only one crutch to support me. My mom had me doing drying which was a long process because I would have to turn the dish around and then dry it off as it laid on the counter. After a long and annoying dish washing section, my mom and I went to relax on the couch. 

James and my mom sat together on one end of the couch, far enough away from each other so that they weren't touching each other. I sat on the other side of the coach trying just to concentrate on just the television; trying not to notice that my mother was inching closer and closer to her boyfriend’s side. 

After a while I felt like I was going to puke so i got up and announced," I'm going to go to the park for a while. I'll be back in about an hour. Okay?"

My mother looked from the TV. to my face and told me," Ya sure that's fine Abby. Just call us if something happens or you get too tired to walk back up the hill because I'll come and get you."

I nodded at my mom and turned myself around so I could slip on my flip flops which were right next to the couch. I slowly opened up the front door and disappeared outside. The early August humility hit right in the face making me start to sweat a little bit. I took a deep breath and started to walk down the big hill that I haven't notice how long the hill actually went on for before.

Making sure that I wasn't going too fast for my legs which mainly just started walking again today, I made it all the way to the park without any wobbles or any stubble at all. I wish Jessica could see me now.

Eric's POV

When I got home from gymnastics today, once again my house was empty except for the rude maid. I grabbed an ice pack from the freezer and pressed it onto the side of my cheek where Brett had slammed his fist into this morning. I also scooped myself a bowl of ice cream which I'm not supposed to have because of gymnastics, but today I think I deserve a little bit of cookies and cream ice cream. 

I then flung myself onto our leather couch and started flipping through the channels. All I could find was stupid romantic movies and dramas. I ended up settling on the history channel with Morgan Freeman talking about some stupid aliens. After I had finished my ice cream I landed on the couch looking up at the ceiling thinking about how stupid I actually was.

After what seemed like an hour worth of moaning I decided to go sit in my tree at the park. The humility outside didn't really bother me at all because my new icepack seemed to make my whole body shiver. I made it to the park and found my tree were I always sat in the middle of the park right above one of the benches.

I had a little bit of trouble swinging myself onto one of the branches because of my bruised hand and the icepack that ended up getting stuffed in the waist band of my paints. I made it up to the perfect branch were my back could rest against the bark and my legs could extend with the branch. I closed my eyes and started coming up of ways that I should apologize to Abby. Every way that I came up with probably would end up getting smacked in the face.

I was interrupted in my thoughts when I could hear someone walking under me. I looked down at the girl that was walking towards the bench. I could tell it was Abby by her figure and also that was her favorite outfit. I smiled appeared on my face when I noticed that she wasn’t sitting in a wheelchair instead standing up straight with crutches attached onto her arms. Joy seemed to overflow me by just imagining how happy she was when she got them. I wish I could have been there to see it all go down.

Abby sat down on the bench and from what I could tell it looked like her face was covered in sweat. She looked like she was about to die from exhaustion. I moved my body around so I could get a better look at her which made a small piece of the bark fall hitting her right on the tip of her small nose.

She looked down at the bark and then looked straight up into my eyes. She didn’t smile. She really showed no emotion. She just kept on looking at me. I guess I’m going to have to apologize to her without a plan.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.7K 243 25
Emma had spent years building her career in the corporate world. She had worked tirelessly to achieve success and prove to herself and the world that...
375K 11K 44
Emily deceives Emeline her twin sister and all her family members. She crushed their souls and nearly brought disgrace to the family. You can't do th...
190 33 32
COMPLETED Chapters! --- The story of Jessica and her husband Daniel is one of everlasting love and the power of the human spirit, a love that withsta...
1.8K 112 24
"We're all going to die because we're not normal." "Please don't cry, it'll be okay, because we'll die together as a family." A path thr...