Book I: Burnt Bliss [BoyxBoy]

By Pixiebelles

"We're planning on meeting with Sarah and her parents next week. How would you like that?" "That sounds...bri... More

Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Prospect
Chapter 2: The Darkest Light Before the Dawn
Chapter 4: Class Conflict
Chapter 5: Stars Align
Chapter 6: Power Play
Chapter 7: Cusp
Chapter 8: Reading Between the Lines
Chapter 9: Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder
Chapter 10: Flight of Birds, Buzzing of Bees
Chapter 11: Give & Take
Chapter 12: Wildest Dreams
Chapter 13: Designs on Sarah
Chapter 14: Culture Shock
Chapter 15: Counting on You
Chapter 16: Lily Blooms
Chapter 17: Masque
Chapter 18: Spring Fever
Chapter 19: In Their Heart of Hearts
Chapter 20: Double Standards
Chapter 21: Scapegrace
Chapter 22: Sweetest Sixteen
Chapter 23: Sparks
Chapter 24: The Writing On the Wall
Chapter 25: Fire at Will
Chapter 26: Blood In The Water
Chapter 27: Snap Decision
Chapter 28: The Ways of Love
Chapter 29: Showdown
Chapter 30: Et tu, Matrem?
Chapter 31: Free Will!
Chapter 32: Illicit Tryst
Chapter 33: Last Chances
Chapter 34: Fight or Flight
Chapter 35: Silver Linings

Chapter 3: A New Day

417 14 2
By Pixiebelles

January, 1666

What felt like moments later, Augustus opened his eyes to a bright January morning. He felt his awareness fade, slipping back into a relaxing haze. But the sunlight being reflected on the crisp white snow pulled him into the moment. It was a new year, and he wanted to change.

He roused slowly, coming to reality and recognizing where he was. He sat up in the large bed, grateful for the heavy blankets. They were crimson-colored velvet and smooth to the touch. He almost didn't want to get out of bed; he was cocooned in the warmest bedroom he'd probably ever inhabited. The blanket even had matching bed curtains! 

But he placed his feet on the floor and they agreed with the rest of his body, keeping warm against the atmosphere with the thick white carpet. He slowly approached the window, and peered outside. He was interested in his first view of his new home. He wasn't just a guest now, and he wanted to learn about his surroundings.

It was a typical January morning in the English countryside. Thin bits of frost littered the sparse grass. Several piles of snow had already been neatly shoveled off to one side of the yard.

He noticed the horses in their stables, chomping on a breakfast of what appeared to be mixed vegetables.

A few people he didn't recognize were outside getting things ready for the day, milling around like ants on a patch of white sand.

He paused as he noticed an ailing, spindly ash tree in the Garnetts' front yard. It was short, which made its decay unusual.

Too little to die, he thought.

He shivered, and couldn't tell if he'd caught a recent breeze or if he reacted that strongly to his own thoughts. But he refused to let his feelings linger.

He turned back to where he had gotten up, and chose to get ready and dressed for the day. He was determined to make his life anew.

Yet he felt out of place as he dressed in his faded breeches and lightly frayed shift. After a quick calculation, he realized the bed sheets he'd just slept in cost ten times more than his stockings. Yes, he'd tried to look fashionable in his splendid coat, but new clothes were a rare treat for him. It wasn't as though his parents could afford a whole new wardrobe.

He wanted his new home to be filled with good memories. He had to stop his unhealthy focus on the darker parts of his past. He was ready to do everything he could to break free from his prolonged melancholy.

He walked downstairs, turned a slight corner and entered the sunny dining room. It was lit up by large windows, which let in the same sunlight he'd noticed upstairs. They highlighted the blue painted walls, along with white-and-gold tapestries.

Such a bright scene seemed impossible in winter, but again the snow aided the sun's luminance

He saw the decadent spread he'd barely noticed last night: cream-colored dishes and silver utensils resting in their exact position, eagerly waiting to be used. The fancy plates and cutlery shone in the light, on a cherry wood table complete with a lace tablecloth.

And there was Will's mother enjoying her morning tea. He was still rattled by his morbid confessions last night, but tried to be a good house guest.

"Morning. Happy new year." he nervously said, waiting for her to look up.

"Good morning. To you also." she brightly replied, smiling at him. "Did you sleep well?"

"Yes, thank you. Um..." he looked around, unsure of his place in his new home. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

"Don't feel obligated, you're a guest." she smiled, then looked out the window in thought for a moment.

"The help usually do outside work, but you can join if you'd like." she turned back to Augustus. "How are you with chickens?" she asked, tilting her head.

"Chickens?" he echoed. "All right I s'pose." he replied with a shrug.

"Wonderful. They're just outside." he nodded in reply and she returned to her tea.

As he sauntered towards the front door, he passed the kitchen which held a well-stocked variety of food. He paused, and his mouth watered when he recognized a luscious scent--the smell of fresh bacon. When was the last time he'd had bacon? When they could afford it, it was typically for special occasions. Despite his recent lack of appetite, he was now intrigued.

Much of the Garnetts food had been imported; from as far away as the West Indies. His eyes ran through a parade of exotic spices--ginger, black pepper, even cinnamon!--and remembered how few people he knew back home that could afford even one of those.

He then noticed their youngest kitchen maid, Hannah. She was only twelve and currently tending to the bacon. Ribbons of steam arose from the meat as it sizzled.

Her short blonde hair was tucked beneath her kerchief. She wasn't more than a foot taller than the stove and she was so tiny he was surprised she could lift the iron pan. Another cook, about the same age as Will's father busied himself with vegetables for the next meal. Even the cutting board was fancy, the ornate pattern sprinkled with carrots and greens.

As he watched the two work, he heard a voice behind him.

"S'cuse me, sir." Augustus turned and was met with yet another servant. She was a plump, middle-aged woman with a mop of curly red hair and a sack of flour. She hurried past him, to aid in completing breakfast by eight-thirty per Margaret's request.

He stood motionless, feeling out of place. The idea of being surrounded by servants, "the help" as Margaret had just put it, made him nervous. They didn't have this many servants the last time he'd visited. The festive relaxation of holidays were one thing, but he could already tell the Garnetts constantly had servants doing so many things for them, and were perfectly used to it.

He knew many poor children had to work, but still didn't like the idea of hiring someone younger than him to serve up food and obey any orders she was given from Margaret and Francis.

And it wouldn't be such a stretch to his imagination to see either of his parents having to take work as servants. He resented the idea of his parents spending their time following rich people around as they did things for them they were perfectly capable of doing for themselves.

He knew his parents were leaving today and didn't care to think of all the menial work they may be facing, with little reward. He hated the idea of them going so soon, but he knew their choice was done out of love. But where were they? He was surprised he hadn't seen them yet.

And it felt so strange, suddenly living someplace he'd only visited before. Their families had always had a good time together, but that still didn't make it any easier to feel out of place in such an affluent area. London wasn't always safe, but he never felt self-conscious about what clothes and food he could afford. There were many more rules here, he was sure.

As these discouraged thoughts ran through his head, he passed by the Solarium.

"Well, good morning!"

A familiar voice floated by, calling him back to the present moment.

He turned around and saw his parents sitting on a large mauve chaise in the Solarium. The sunlight shone down on them, as if it celebrated their presence.

"There you are!" he exclaimed, rushing up and flinging his arms around his mother.

"We thought we should take in the view. Good way to start our morning." Richard smiled down at his son, coffee in hand. "Happy new year, by the way!"

"Happy new year." Augustus smiled at his father and hugged him as well. When he pulled away he remembered--they had to leave.

"I'll really miss you." his voice fell as he stood back, his smile now fading.

"Oh, don't think of it," Caroline assured him in a clear, gentle voice. "Not happening just yet."

She perked her son's chin up and met his gaze as she spoke to calm him. "Clear your mind." She said in a light, fluttery tone with a soothing effect, stroking his cheek. "You always worry so."

She gently tucked a lock of her son's dark hair behind his ear which had fallen over his eyes. "Now, where are you off to?"

His confidence returned. "I figured I'd go help outside."

"Very good." his father added. "Seems like you're off to a great start." he smiled reassuringly and Augustus feel better. He spoke again, his voice rising to a cheerful tone:

"Well, I have to go do something with some chickens!"

They chuckled as he turned and left. He was determined to maintain his positive attitude.

Refocus. he reminded himself as he stepped outside, pulling on his new jacket. He appreciated the warmth and liked the splendid look of it, but he felt just as out of place in his fancy new coat as he did in his fancy new home.

He walked towards Will, who was currently at the well, pouring water from a wooden bucket into an iron pot.

"Put to work already, I take it?" he commented as he saw his friend walk over.

"I asked if they needed any help." he explained, grinning proudly as he stuffed his hands in his pockets.

"Aah, the first sign of a newcomer." Will teased. "Openly willing to trample through pig slop and cow dung."

"I think I'll be fine. It can't be any worse than London." he replied with a shrug. He leaned his thin body against the well. "Your mother said something about...chickens?"

"They're just over here." he explained as he walked him to a small chicken coup. He set down the iron pot & led Augustus in. "You like eggs?"

"Yes, actually. I can't remember the last time I had them."

"Great." Will said as he handed him a basket. "Dare you to catch breakfast before you lose your appetite." he added with a smile as he left. Augustus chuckled in reply.

As Will walked off, he ventured among a house of hens. "Good morning, ladies." he kindly said to them as they pecked to and fro, clucking around his feet. The straw crackled under his boots and he bent down to tug on the laces.

"Don't mind me." he cooed as he stood up. He petted one of the hens as he observed her nest for any eggs. She had light brown plumage and her beady black eyes darted about as he gently smoothed out her feathers. "Just getting a few eggs, having some breakfast..."

He kept petting the hens at their nests, hoping they'd be friendlier to him when he tried to take their eggs. This worked for the most part, and he collected about two dozen eggs.

As he exited the coup and saw the opulent estate towering over him, his new reality was stark: he was now officially immersed in a completely new, higher social class, with no idea if he was supposed to act or look differently.

Yes, there was a sizable difference from the crowded heart of London to a large home in the countryside. Everything about how he lived his life was now going to be different. But at least this brought his family a break from London to spend a day together someplace safer. His family deserved it, after everything they had experienced.

When Augustus sat down for breakfast, he felt hungrier--and more focused--than he had in weeks. He knew that he had to take advantage of everything he had. The last thing he wanted to waste was an opportunity. 

The bacon he'd seen cooking came his way, and he happily took some, along with a few of the boiled eggs he'd gathered. 

"Will," he half-whispered as the food went around the table, "I just...wanted to say thank you for...everything, last night." Will just grinned. "Of course."

Augustus happily ate his meal and it felt good to take advantage of what he had when he had it, to stay in the here and now, like his parents had suggested. He knew he'd regret not making the most of their time together. 

"Mother," Mary said over breakfast, "you'll never believe it! When I stay with Lily and Elizabeth, I get my own bed! Isn't that grand?" 

Caroline smiled. "My goodness, that is fancy! How thoughtful for Lily to be so generous. I suppose we all have things now we should be grateful for." 

"I know I am," Augustus added, beaming. "Will's been helpful and welcoming since I first got here." 

Margaret smiled at Caroline. "Well, we're more than happy to take the children in. I felt it was the least we could do to share our home. A fresh start, if you will."

"Cheers to that." Richard added, lifting his glass slightly before he sipped his milk. "Maybe country living for a few months will do them some good. We'll visit as often as we can, of course." he added, patting Mary's shoulder. The little girl smiled in return. 

Maybe living at a fancy home wouldn't be that intimidating, Augustus reasoned. He was with friends, after all. A fresh start was what he needed, and he knew Will would be a big part of that. 

He was ready for a change in his life, and he was excited it was beginning now.

~*~

The sun streamed through the windows in Will's bedroom. He was on his bed, laying on his stomach, flipping through his new Astrological almanac for the coming year. It mainly concerned predictions for England overall, not the individual star-signs.

But it got him to thinking about Fate, and how much of a role one could play in their destiny, and how much was predetermined. He rolled off his bed and sat down at his desk. He pulled his new journal towards him, undid the small leather strap, and began his first entry.

1 January, Sixteen Hundred and Sixtey Six, MDCLXVI

Half 12 in the afternoon

Happy New Yeare!! Augustus and Mary are here at last! I was happy to see everyone, but something was different about Augustus. I'm not sure what it was. Of course, he seemed very upset over Susan, but something else looked...different, new. He was quite dis-mayed last night but I think I may have helped him.

We talked every-thing over and he seems happier this morning. I think this yeare shall be goode. I feel badly that they lost Susan to begin with, but I am hoping this new start will bring something goode for Augustus and his family. I feel like something in my life should change but I do not know what or how. Even if I knew, I face an obstacle: my parents already have plans for me. While I hope they may give me some freedom in my future, I know well enough to not count on that.

This is largely be-cause it seems they have already begun this change without me. They have recently become friends with a family they oftene do business with, and have spoken with them about their daughter, who is a few months older than I. They have been talking for a few wekes, and would like us to meet some-time soon. My assumption is they would like her and I to court.

I believe this plan shall fail since I am not interested in romance. I've never met a girl who was intriguing in that way. On the other hand, the only girls I've ever really been around were either family or any of my sister's friends, who all seemed too young for me.

But I know marriage is an important endeavor, so I see no harm in kepeing my mind open.

They hopefully have chosen well and this girl may be that one who finally catches my eye. I think they said her name was Sarah...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110M 3.4M 115
The Bad Boy and The Tomboy is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon p...
4M 196K 101
โœ… "We always long for the forbidden things." ๐๐ฒ๐ฌ๐ญ๐จ๐ฉ๐ข๐š๐ง ๐ง๐จ๐ฏ๐ž๐ฅ โ†ฏ โš”๏ธŽ ส™แดแดแด‹ แดษดแด‡ แด€ษดแด… แด›แดกแด แด„แดแดส™ษชษดแด‡แด… โš”๏ธŽ ...
7.3M 303K 38
~ AVAILABLE ON AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/dp/164434193X ~ She hated riding the subway. It was cramped, smelled, and the seats were extremely unc...
55.1M 1.8M 66
Henley agrees to pretend to date millionaire Bennett Calloway for a fee, falling in love as she wonders - how is he involved in her brother's false c...