Destroying Myself (Myself #3)

بواسطة Aquila_Lyn

"I'm not your brother." A devil smile played on his lips. Elevating the right brow, I asked, "What do you me... المزيد

Destroying Myself
1. Turning Lives
2. Mourning in Pain
3. Lost Relations
4. Dangerous Lives
5. Marry me, Baby
6. Spoil Brat
7. Leave me Alone
8. Crossing the Paths
9. The Forever I had
10. The Man I Trusted
11. The Hatred I Had
12. The Anger I Have
13. The Death I Invited
Pre-Order (Breaking Myself)
14. The Evil I Breed
15. The Wound I Suture
16. The Feelings I Developed
17. The Brother I Lost Again
New Book (Always is not Forever)
18. The Family I Have
19. The Friend I Lost
20. The Confessions We Make
21. The Sister I Love
22. The Love I Deserve
23. The Destroyer I Loved
24. The Day I Deserve
25. The Truth I Denied
26. The Danger I Reckoned
27. The Reality I Discovered
28. The Death I Hated
29. The Nightmare I Lived
30. The Love I Lost
Epilogue
BC 1.1 - The Girl I Destroyed
BC 1.3 - The Girl I Held
BC 1.4 - The Nightmare I Had
B.C. 2.1 - The Shame I Brought
BC 2.2 - The Girl I Slapped
BC 2.3 - The Confessions I Heard
BC 2.4 - The Family I Despised
2.5 The Family I Deserve
BC 2.6 - The Start I Have
3.1. Talk To Me, Love
3.2. Share with me, Love
BC 3.3 - Walk Away, Love
BC 3.4. Come to Me, Love
BC 4.1 - When I Be A Jealous Cat
Bonus Chapter 5 : 'The Start of a New Kingdom'
[ U D I S H A ' S P O V ]
The Things We Love and Lose
[ Y U V R A J ' S P O V ]

BC 1.2 - The Brother I Betrayed

1.1K 47 9
بواسطة Aquila_Lyn

'Sometimes being a brother is even better than being a Superhero.'

"We aren't late, right?" Nisha got out of the car in hurry and tried to fix her hair. I shot her a look. She had been doing this since she got out of the bedroom. "I should've showered. Damn, I smell like sex."

"So do I," I chuckled. "And you smell like me and that's fucking hot."

She narrowed her eyes at me, no longer swollen from her crying. Good thing. If Kabir found out she cried, he would roast me alive on top of his griller. The first warning he had given me was if I ever make Nisha cry, he would kill me.

And he was serious.

"Princess, you don't have sex hair anymore," I commented while finding a way to the airport.

"Your apartment is not bad," She replied out of nowhere. Yes, finally I took her to my apartment. Maybe she had forgotten the direction of the bar because she didn't say anything about it. Maybe her brain had blocked the bad memories. "I just don't like the location."

Nope, she remembers it.

"I don't have much choice." I caught her hand, slipping my fingers into them and warmth flooded my arm. Her hand felt good. "I'm looking for a new place. As soon as I find it, I will move out."

Trust me, I loathed that place as much as you did.

"Promise? Because once we're married, I'm not living there."

"Married, huh?" I wriggled my eyebrows. "You're having dreams of me as your husband."

"Fuck you."

"I would rather do that to you." She halted, her face turned scarlet and she hit my arm. Chuckling, I wrapped my arm around her waist and kissed her temple. "Come on, their plane must have landed by now."

That was enough to make her move forward. While we waited outside the airport for them, Nisha placed her head on my shoulder, feeling tired of standing.

"You can go to the car if you like."

She shook her head. "They must be coming. He called me. His jet landed right now."

"What do you think they must be doing?"

"Huh?"

"Private jet. A newlywed couple. No one to disturb. They wouldn't notice your sex when they've of their own." She giggled against my arm.

While we were laughing, I didn't notice Kabir and Alina standing in front of us, frowning at out silly giggling outside the airport.

"Nisha," Kabir called for her. She raised her head from my arm and hugged her brother tightly, and then her new sister, who was giving suggestive looks to I and Nisha. I liked previous Alina, silent and angry, this was sneaky and childish and funny.

Damn funny.

"How was your honeymoon?" Kabir gave me an odd look before slipping it to Nisha.

"Sexy," Alina replied. "And lots of sex."

Nisha and I gaped at her language. Alina wasn't known to throw such words in the open.

"Oh, come on. I'm not a kid. Rahul, close that mouth of yours. How are you?" She side embraced me but parted away soon and I nodded at her.

Seeing her still made me remember mom, made me see how she was assaulted in front of me and I couldn't do anything. She overwhelmed in the start, but I acted cool but whenever I faced her, I would be sweating. Why couldn't mom be strong like Alina? Why couldn't she leave dad like Alina turned the world hell to punish one of her assaulter?

And when everyone thought she was heartless, she, Kabir and I had risen toast at his condition.

"Great, and sex, huh?" I smirked at her.

She playfully rolled her eyes and stepped back.

"I thought that's what honeymoon was for. Away from work." She sarcastically smiled at Kabir. "Just two of us."

"I stayed away from work for you." He pointed out.

"Uh. Uh. Is this your first husband and wife fight?"

"We already had that," Alina replied. "Because someone thinks work is so important than their wife."

"That's bad, Kabir," I replied, and for the first time in a year, he rolled his eyes at me. Yes, he did, before he would only ignore my talks. Even in the courts, he wouldn't pay much attention to me, only talk about the case to get me out of the murder of my own uncle.

But it didn't get out.

The police officer claimed he killed him. He got the promotion, and I was more than relieved to get the burden of a murder from my head.

But it doesn't change the fact that I killed someone.

Someone who killed your Nisha.

Someone who could've raped her.

I shook my head from these thoughts and paid attention to my friends.

"Just ten minutes. The whole trip I didn't open my laptop and attended any work-related work," He explained to us, and then skidded his gaze to her, "I already made up for it," He caught Alina's waist. "Didn't I? And lots of sex."

She smiled secretly. "Yeah, you did made up in your naughty way."

Nisha groaned. "What happened to her decent tongue?"

"He spoke crude and dirty things to her in the whole honeymoon. Trust me, that's why she's like that," I said nonchalantly.

Three of them stared at me with a gaped mouth. What wrong had I said? Alina had been used to some words in past two weeks and they couldn't leave her mouth. One of my girlfriends had spoken to me next day, and it annoyed the hell out of me. I wasn't interested. Bed things remained in bed.

But if Nisha wanted, I wouldn't argue.

Nisha gaze turned to them, but instead of replying, Alina clapped her hands. "Let's go. I'm tired after the long flight."

I caught her bag, but she stopped me. "I'll do it."

"It's okay, Alina. I can. You're tired after a long flight." I smirked and she flushed further. Luckily, Kabir and Nisha were ahead of us, or Kabir would've fought with me for asking such question from his bookworm.

"You're one dirty man. You and Nisha are perfect." She chuckled. "What did you do while we were gone?"

"Oh, you know, nothing," I answered, opening the support and letting it drag after us. "It's true, isn't it then? Both of it?"

She rolled her eyes, stuffed her hand inside her long coat and nodded. Some kinky couple was they.

I helped Kabir with placing the bags at the back, while the girls chatted in the front.

"You need not come," He said.

"I couldn't send Nisha alone at this hour, and she was adamant to take you rather than send the driver. And you know what, Kabir?"

"What?" He said in a bored tone.

"Fuck you." His eyes widened a bit. "I love Nisha, and if you can't accept it, then that's your problem, not mine. You ignore me as if I've done a crime. I get you think me as a murderer and don't deserve your sister, but she loves me. So you better accept the fact. I get you hate me for putting Nisha into that trouble. I too hate that. I too live with that fact I couldn't protect her. Imagine yourself in my position, every minute thinking you can't protect Alina, how much it hurts you and you think you don't deserve her."

"I hoped I could make it up somehow someway, but let's forget it. Our friendship ended. And because of this, I'm causing stress to Nisha and I hate it. If you don't like me, okay, but stop pretending as if I don't exist anymore."

I closed the lid of the car. Ignoring him, I faced Nisha, who beamed at me and bounced her gaze between me and Kabir. I shook my head, smiling.

I would do anything for her, be anything for her, give anything of mine just to see that smile on her face. She has gone through so much because of me, because of my weakness of not being able to the give what she deserves.

"Let's go. I'm really tired. I need sleep," Alina whined, slipped inside the car with Kabir next to her.

Hopping in, I brought us out of the airport and put us in the lane to their house. I would get late for the apartment. Would I even get a taxi at twelve? I had extra hours tomorrow. I need to go to sleep as soon as I reach and get up early.

"How was Italy?"

"Dream worthy," Alina sighed. "The best part walking on the streets as one of them, and their music makes you dance. Kabir and I rode bikes. Made me remember my childhood."

"And we danced in the public."

"Because your brother couldn't stop himself. And the food, damn. I'm in love with Italian food. While some people stared at my chudha," she shook her hands in the air, letting the red bangles beneath her coat make clanging sound, "And I explained why we Indians wear it. In all, it was perfect." From the rear view, I found her gazing at Kabir lovingly. "Thank you for this. All of this."

How this douche got such an amazing wife? Even if his relationship wasn't a secret to anyone, people in the office shocked learning he was getting married. They thought he didn't have time for love and I had laughed in my office.

If only they knew all whole of the story.

"What did you buy for yourself?" Nisha jumped in her seat, turning her head.

"Nisha," I scolded her. "Your seat belt. Wear it." Pouting, she wore her seat belt and turned her head.

"What Alina can buy?" Kabir taunted.

"Books," Me and Nisha replied unison.

"Exactly. Even on our honeymoon, she cannot contain her bookworm side."

"It means you went to Italy and bought nothing for yourself?" Nisha asked in astonishment.

"Why I have to do that when I've such a loving husband who loves shopping for me?" She slung his arm around her neck.

"Did you wear the lingerie I packed in your bag?" Nisha smiled naughtily. I coughed up and opened the car window to stop their conversations getting in my head.

Nisha, I was here, please restrain yourself from asking that question.

"Don't be a prude, Rahul," Nisha complained. "We need to take tips from them."

And this time, Kabir coughed up.

"Nisha, how about we have this talk in private?" Alina asked, patting her hand on Nisha's arm. "Let's not make both of them uncomfortable."

And in the rest of the drive, they talked while I drove them. They told what they had seen but in the mid, Alina had fallen asleep and Kabir wasn't interested in conversation and stuck his head on his phone, probably working. Nisha was gazing out the window, feeling the wind in her hands. She loved doing that, every single time.

Reaching their house, Kabir refrained me from taking the bags.

"You're not our servant, Rahul." He got the bag from me. "You drove for an hour. You must be tired."

I didn't argue with him and stepped back. Nisha climbed off the car and stretched her arms. Before going, we had made up her bed, cleaned any sign of me being in the house, and got all the stuff was needed. Nisha ran inside the house, telling me to have them wait.

I grinned at her. She was so excited.

"Alina, bookworm, we reached home, get up." He tapped on her shoulder.

"Our home." She smiled sleepily.

"Yes, baby, our home," He grinned at her, and I diverted my gaze to the trees covering the house.

"Carry me."

This was my time to intervene.

"Actually Alina, you need to get up."

"Why?" Kabir asked in confusion. "I'll carry her. She's tired."

And who made her tired in the first place? I was about to ask but battled against it.

"Kabir, this is the first time you're home after marriage. If your mom is not here, it doesn't mean Nisha forgot everything." Realisation drowned on his face and he peered at Alina who was awake now. Fully awake.

"She didn't." She gasped. "I was joking with her." She got out of the car, but due to her sleepiness, she almost stumbled but he caught her.

"Careful, bookworm."

She brushed his hands off and walked to the front of the house where Nisha was standing with a tray, and I tried to hide my grin.

This was the Nisha I knew. Bubbly and fun loving. Not the one who used to shout at people, throw things in anger and be frustrated all the time. This one knew how to love people with all her heart and make sure they were happy.

"You didn't have to, Nisha. I was just joking the other night," Alina choked on her emotions.

"But there was truth in the joking," My girl replied. "If mom would've been here, she would've done that. And she would've done it more gracefully. I'm only aware of what I got on the internet. Gehra Pravash of my new sister. So please forgive me, if something is missing."

Alina cupped her mouth, and I stared at the two best friends. They both had fought, said words to each other, got lost in the fighting, but they knew how to make up for each other, how to take care of each other. Kabir should learn something from them.

I stayed at the back while Nisha performed the rituals, most of the times she slipped but she did good, enough to fill her mother's place in this situation, enough to make me see how much she valued Alina in her life at this moment.

And I was falling in love with her further.

"Really I've to walk on this?"

Nisha nodded. "Walk, and then dip your hands in that one and place it on any wall. This one was not on the internet, but I asked bhua. It was done when mom came, so yeah. She insisted on coming, but I stopped her. Coming from Hyderabad was a tough thing."

The falling of the rice was well heard in the living room. With the help of Kabir, Alina placed her feets inside the plate.

"It's too cold. Did you use cold water to mix it?" Nisha shrugged her shoulders in reply. And Alina walked forward, to her new house while I made the video of them. Dhruv would kill me if he didn't get to see his sister entry. He was supposed to come today, but Ria had a meeting in her school and they both couldn't afford at this late.

"Alina, place your hands," I called from the back.

"It's too cold, Rahul," She complained back. Closing her eyes, she placed her hands, painting her hands red. "Where should I do it?" She stared at Kabir in question.

"Anywhere. This is your house as well." With a nervous step, Alina imprinted her hand on the wall and the imprint of her hands was left on it, already ready to dry.

"Welcome, Mr. and Mrs. Oberoi to your house." Nisha burst the party pooper and the colored flakes ran on top of all of us, covering us beneath it.

Kabir and Alina laughed at Nisha's behavior while all I could think was no Nisha anymore. No more hugging her at night, keeping her close to me, no more finding her in the bed—sleeping soundly, no more her in the morning.

I was going to miss it.

"Your dinner is ready," Nisha said. "The cook did it. You both must be hungry. And you too, Rahul. As much I remember, you haven't eaten." Of course, you were so busy being on top of me, making me want to eat only one thing.

"It's late. I should go. Congrats to both of you." I was about to leave when Kabir's voice halted my steps.

"Stay tonight," His words shocked not only me but Nisha and Alina as well who stared at him in wonder. "It's late. Stay, and I know even if I say you to take another room, you and Nisha will end up in one room." He sighed. "So try to refrain yourself while I'm here. Please."

"Of course." Nisha smiled at me.

So, I still had one night left with her.

When the dinner was done, Alina went to her room, too tired to talk but Nisha wasn't ready to leave her alone and followed her behind. I chuckled at her enthusiastic nature. How she remained serious while checking her patients?

While she was gone, I shifted uncomfortably in the kitchen seat with Kabir preparing himself a coffee. He was a fan of coffee. Anjali explained to me how annoyed he gets without having a cup of coffee in the morning.

"So how was staying with my sister?" He asked nonchalantly.

I gaped, not sure what to answer and what not. "I—I—"

"Come on," He rolled his eyes. "Do you take me as stupid? You can't leave her for a night, and you'll leave her alone in this house, knowing she is scared of being alone now."

He passed me the coffee mug. "Don't you object?"

"I was literally hoping you would stay." He moved swiftly around the kitchen, making himself accommodated with an orange. "I was scared of leaving her alone."

"How did you know?"

"Security guards." Obviously. "And the object, I lived with Alina, and I will object? I know love despite what you people talk in the office of how incapable I'm of love and how shocking my marriage is or can't believe it's a love marriage."

"You know?" Should I get anymore shocked than that?

"I'm the boss," He smirked. "I pay attention to everything."

"It wasn't me."

"I know." He paused. "You're the first-hand witness to my love story."

Why was he being so nice to me now? What happened to him? What happened to his policy of ignoring me? What happened to stop acknowledging me as his friend anymore?

"Rahul," He said in a serious tone. "I don't think you're a murderer." My muscles tensed. "If you wouldn't have killed him, I would have. He killed Nisha, so it doesn't matter to me if he's dead or you killed him. Yes, I don't think you deserve Nisha." I hung my head. "She's good despite her behavior sometimes. She gets demanding and spoiled some days, but she's grown up like that. I pampered her a lot, mom and dad did a lot."

What was he trying to say?

He rolled his tongue inside his mouth and continued, "When I got the call from the hospital and police, I thought my life stopped. You have this connection with your twin like you know what she's feeling. And I felt the life slipping away from me. I couldn't breathe. Every person I love either ends up dead or in the hospital bed." He shook his head.

Nisha had explained to me how she felt when Kabir was in the hospital like she couldn't breathe anymore, like she couldn't be happy anymore without him.

"I hated you a lot. You hid it from me. Harshit hid it from me. Do you all take me as someone cruel?" He pointed his gaze. "You both were my best friends. One betrayed my sister and one almost got her killed. If she would've been dead, I would've ruined your life."

He was vicious for the people he loved. And Nisha asked why I was scared of him. Her brother would burn the whole world to keep his family safe.

"But she is not, and she loves you a lot, and you love her." His last words made me widen my eyes. He never acknowledges our love. He closed his eyes before continuing, "Please, don't hurt her. She means a lot to me. I've seen her cry, lost and scared and no brother can his sister in that place."

"You don't have to say please. I would never hurt her." Or try to not hurt her. I was reminded of this evening, the things I said, the tears she cried because of me, but he doesn't need to know that.

"Good." He threw the peel of the orange in the nearest dustbin. "And I get that feeling of not being able to protect. I feel it every second when Alina is in pain. Despite you all talk of me being stone, I love Alina more than anything." His gaze was stone hard. Of course, talks like that did pinch his heart. He had lost too much, and he wasn't heartless.

Who would be stupid enough to doubt your love for her? Yes, the people in the office hadn't seen, but I had seen. I had seen the starting, I had seen the worst, I had seen the best of it.

"I know. I was your best friend." I smirked dryly.

He didn't say anything. Nodding, he strolled out of the kitchen. His silence was enough for me to know.

Was.

It really was a friendship.

I felt a hand slipping into my jacket. "What's my prince thinking?" She mumbled.

"Can you stay quiet?"

"What?" I turned and flushed her against me, tapping her nose.

"How good is your staying quiet quality?"

"No way." She chuckled. "I'm very bad, so just sleep tonight. I've so many things to show you. I've my own personal bag of the things they bought."

"Is it?" I brushed my nose against hers.

"Doesn't my brother and bhabi loves me a lot?"

"Yes." Too much. You're one lucky sister.

* * *

Locking my door, I hung my laptop bag across my shoulders and ignored the filthy smell enveloping the place. Just a few more months. When I would get enough money, I would move out and buy a decent apartment. Decent enough to invite Nisha to come and stay with me.

Securing the key inside my pocket, I jogged down the stairs of the place but was stopped by a figure. Lifting my eyes, I met a bulky dark man standing in front of me.

"Excuse me," I mumbled.

He narrowed his eyes. "You're Khal's nephew."

The blood in my veins chilled down, the thumping started from his name. The scene when I shot the gun appeared again. I had to do it. He killed Nisha.

"I'm sorry, but that's not me."

"What a gentleman like you doing in this building."

"Excuse me, I'm getting late." He pushed my shoulder, and the laptop almost knocked out.

"You're Khal's nephew. You look like him. He's dead, isn't he? Did you see his dead body?"

"I said I need to leave," I hissed, grabbed his jaw, pushing him to the nearest wall. "Don't interrupt me. I don't know who you're talking about."

His eyes turned scared. Fuckers. Only knew how to threaten and when it came to real fight, always backing out and becoming scared.

"You're his nephew. You have got the craziness of him."

"No, I'm not. I'm Rahul." I wasn't my uncle. I wasn't my dad. I was Rahul. Nisha's Rahul.

Withdrawing my hands, I continued jogging down the downstairs and stopped a taxi. Explaining him the address, I flexed my hand. Don't do something crazy. Don't give away who you were. Just a few months.

He parked near the building, and paying him, I got out and entered the building but the staff was scurrying here and there.

I stared at them in confusion, but all I found them was tensed employees and found the guests looking at them strangely. Didn't they know they were making fun of themselves in front of the guests?

Reaching the reception, I asked Krisha, "What's happening?"

"Mr. Oberoi. He's coming today." That explained everything. Their holiday of three weeks was ended, and they were liable to explain everything to their boss what they did in past three weeks. Good for me, I had gotten a week holiday to enjoy their wedding and roam the city with Nisha. "Along with his wife."

"Alina is coming?"

She gave me a pointed look for informally addressing Alina. It was getting tougher. "I mean Ms. Gupta." Damn it. "I mean Mrs. Oberoi."

"Yes, she is. The employees invited her."

"Then it's a good thing," I smirked. "Mr. Oberoi wouldn't dare to get angry in front of Mrs. Oberoi. He's scared of her."

She gaped at me while I went into the lift, laughing. Lucky employees by inviting Alina to be on the safer side. No matter what, Kabir hated getting angry and shouting in front of Alina. Good thing. I didn't have to listen to any back bitching today.

Leaving on my floor, I went to my office and placed my laptop on the table.

"Rahul." Anjali stuck her head inside the office. "The man I was looking for. What's Mrs. Oberoi favorite flavor?"

It took me a second to access what she meant. Why couldn't they say Alina?

"Chocolate. Anything with chocolate in it, but try to avoid sugary things. She doesn't like them. She loves lavenders."

She sighed in relief.

"Mr. Oberoi?"

"He hates lavenders." Her face fell. "But buy them, he will be happy to see her happy."

"Hope so. She doesn't come much to the office, and everyone is going crazy. Yes, we have a party this weekend. Sir arranged it for all of us."

I nodded.

"Anything I should know?"

"Is their anyone who has a crush on Kabir?" She nodded slightly, confused. "Keep her away from Alina." Winking, I settled on my chair and turned on my laptop to start the work. Sighing, she left my office while all of them tried to do their work and I was the same.

If I remember correctly, he always asked about the finance files in the morning and looked through them.

I smirked, it felt like yesterday when we roamed the roads of Delhi, drinking and partying, and ten years had passed away since then.

Twenty-six, but still no future ahead of me. He stole everything from me, he had always stolen everything from me.

"Rahul Uncle." My head snapped to the small girl entering my cabin. Leaving my work, I bent down on the floor.

"Ria." I picked her up and placed her on the table. "Where are your parents?"

"Don't know. I wanted to meet bhua." She pouted. "I haven't met her since that day."

"Marriage day." She nodded. She was five years old, and in her shy period but not from me. Never from me.

"Here you are!" Sanchi voice made me look at her entering the cabin in red top and black jeans. "One minute I change my gaze and you run to Rahul uncle office." Ria blinked her eyes innocently at her mother. "That works for your dadda, not me."

"Leave her alone, Sanchi. She just wanted to meet me. Isn't it angel?" She clapped my big hands with her small ones.

"She knows the way around this hotel. I still get confused. It's so big."

"What are you doing here?"

"This girl." Sanchi pointed her gaze to Ria. "After the PTM, she started throwing fit that she wants to meet Alina because Dhruv let it slip. I called her and she told me to come here."

"Where is Dhruv?"

Before she could answer, Dhruv slipped into the room and nodded at me. Bending down, he forwarded his hand while I stared at him in confusion.

"Dhruv." Sanchi placed her hand on his shoulder, but he didn't respond and Ria placed the candy she was carrying in his hand.

"Ria."

"But dadda—" Huffing, she placed the rest of the candies on his hands. "I hate you. I don't want to eat those vegetables."

"I know but—" He stared helplessly at Sanchi. Ria couldn't eat outside food, only nutrients that her heart condition would accept.

Sanchi bent in front of her. "How about we've ice-cream after dinner today? The orange one?" Ria nodded her enthusiastically. "But only if you eat everything I give you today. Would you do that? We don't need to tell grandma."

"Yes, momma." She beamed at me.

Such a cute and adorable family it was.

"Where is bhua? I want to meet her. I want to tell her so many things about what I did in school and I made new friends and I acted well as she guided me."

"She's coming up, dear. And don't start speaking. She has to do some things first. Okay? And don't glare at Kabir uncle for taking her away," Dhruv ruffled her hair.

"But he kidnapped her."

"What?" I laughed at her choice of words and glanced at Dhruv and Sanchi, who flushed at her comment.

"What?" Dhruv asked. "I couldn't say what it really was."

"Point."

"Angel." She changed her gaze to me. "Kabir uncle didn't kidnap her. He took her somewhere nice. A beautiful place."

"Promise he didn't hurt her?" She placed her hands on her hips, and I killed my urge to chuckle. Eyes like Dhruv, habits like Sanchi. Nice combination.

But then I was reminded, she looked so much like Isha. And for a moment, I felt bad for Sanchi. How did it feel raising the daughter of your husband's ex? How did it feel to see their face every single morning? But Sanchi loved her with all her heart.

Giving her a glance, I smiled a bit.

"Yes. He didn't hurt your Alina bhua," I replied.

'Thank you' Sanchi mouthed and I winked at her.

"Rahul, come on. They're here," One of the employees said and I nodded.

"Finally, let's go." Sanchi dropped Ria on her feet. From two weeks, Ria had been fretting that she could walk and hated being carried. Leaving my cabin, I walked to the place where everyone was greeting Alina and Kabir.

Dhruv nudged my shoulder to move forward, but I shook my head and told him to go.

"I'm just his employee," I confessed.

"You're his best friend. Both of them."

"I was. Kabir explained it clearly. You go. Meet her. She would be happy to see you here because clearly she's tensed and confused. She would feel better with someone she knows. Kabir knows the office, she doesn't." Nodding, he went forward and hugged her and relief took on her face as she found him.

I sighed, staring at Alina, picking Ria from the ground and Kabir shaking hands with his employees and replying back thank you.

From the back, a cake was brought and Alina beamed seeing the cake.

"Thank you. How you knew my chocolate is my favorite—" And her gaze met mine. I smiled at her and nodded for her to go on. She diverted her gaze to Kabir, who was busy talking with Sanchi. She slipped it back to me.

'Come' she mouthed.

I shook my hand, and clutched my forehead, pretending to have a headache.

'As my friend' She mouthed again.

'It's okay' I mouthed back, suppressing the dull pain arising in my chest. Wow, for the first time I was away from them when usually it would be me guiding the things among my friends.

My friends without me.

What a show. I subdued the stung happening at the back of my eye. Act maturely. Don't you dare cry over small things.

Where was Nisha when I needed her?

From across the hall, Mr. Sethi glared at me and nodded his head towards them. Would he make me do it? Of course, he would. He wanted to humiliate me somehow and someway.

God, my fucked up my life.

Gathering my guts, I weaved through the crowd and stood in front of them. Kabir cutting gaze met mine. He was my boss. I was his employee. It wasn't like I hadn't called him sir before, but it felt different, saying it among all the friends, saying it among Dhruv and Sanchi.

"Congratulation, sir." He shook my hand with no expression on his face.

"Thank you."

Changing my gaze, I met Alina who smiled seeing me and was about to hug me when I suddenly said, "Congratulation, mam. Have a happy married life."

She stared at my hand in confusion and then at Kabir, who said nothing.

"Ma'am, please," I said hurriedly.

She shook my hand with a cringe. "Thank you."

When I started up, I found Dhruv and Sanchi with a disappointed look, directed towards Kabir who ignored them. I stepped back from them, but I wasn't far away when Anjali caught my arm, stopping me.

"Show is not over yet."

I maundered my gaze around, and found my dear boss, carrying his gift towards the couple. I crossed my arms over my chest, staring at the scene unfolding in front of me. I was going to tell Nisha about it. She would crack with laughter.

"Mr. and Mrs. Oberoi, this is for you." He presented the gift wrapped to them. Kabir's face covered with annoyance whilst Alina appeared confused at the gesture.

"I'm sorry, you are?" She asked.

"Mr. Sethi, finance manager."

She smiled, a forced one. "Thank you for the gift, but we can't accept it." She gazed at Kabir.

"Mr. Sethi, thank you for the gesture, but I don't take gifts from my employees. I would prefer if you use the money I give you on your family rather than me," Kabir said smoothly. "Thank you, everyone. Back to work."

They all scurried to their work, back to the house cleaning department, back to the kitchen, back to their departments.

"Bookworm, like I said, I wanted to show you something. Come with me. Dhruv? Sanchi? And Angel?" He gazed down at Ria. "Would you love to come with me? I will show you I didn't kidnap your bhua, promise." She smiled, nodding.

I curled my fist, and here he was, ignoring me as if I never existed in his life as if we didn't have breakfast in the morning together, as if I was nothing more than a burden he carried.

Ignoring his usual behavior, I went back to my work and wrote down to get the smoothie for Nisha as she messaged me again. She loved smoothies of her own hotel. If I would be at her place, I would get bored of it.

Someone knocked on my door. Swirling in my chair, I found Sanjay standing outside my office.

"Sir called you into his office."

"What Mr. Sethi wants now?" I said over the fatigue that took my shoulders.

"Not Mr. Sethi. Mr. Oberoi is calling you."

"But I don't answer to him."

"Rahul, I don't know. Will you go? I've work to do." Annoyed, he went to his work. Confused, I stood up. Maybe he wanted the files of last two weeks. Going to my cabin, I took them out and strode out of my office.

Getting near the lift, I pressed the button and entered in. Pressing the highest floor, I waited for it to reach.

Bing.

Clutching the files tight in my hands, I met Anjali outside his office.

"Thanks for the suggestion of flowers. She loved them a lot." She opened the door for me and I entered the office as an employee.

I remember barging into his office, complaining to him to come and go out with me whenever I would be tired and confused. At first, he would ignore, but later, he would come with me, canceling his meetings, laughing only when we sat in the car.

"Alina." I rolled her name out of my tongue. She was standing near the window. She turned around and smiled at me. "You're still here?"

"I wasn't in a mood for writing, and for past two weeks, I've become habitual with Kabir's company." I nodded. "Don't worry. I'm not going to interfere in both of your work." It was then I noticed Kabir sitting in his chair, looking over his files. "I need to go and see dad." She moved towards him and pecked her cheek. "Bye, honey. See you soon."

He looked up from his file, smiled and nodded at her.

"Ask him again. Okay? I tried but he refuses me every time."

"I did." She took the pen from his hands and placed it on the table. "He doesn't want to live with us. He thinks he'll disturb us. He wants to spend the rest of his life in peace, away from all family drama. You don't mind if I stay late?"

"Don't be stupid." He caught her hand. Why couldn't he be this relaxed in front of his employees? What's his damn problem? "Dad needs you. Tell him to work less. I talked with the doctor. His reports are fine."

"I'm telling you the same. You need sleep. Come early. I don't care about your work. You need rest. For me?" Reluctantly, he nodded and let her go, coming next to me.

She hugged me and whispered, "If you ever again called me ma'am, I'll slap you. I don't care what differences you and Kabir harbor, but I'm your friend. I'm Alina for you."

I nodded with a half heart. She withdrew out of the room, leaving Kabir and me in the room.

As soon she was out, Kabir said, "Don't listen to her. She doesn't know the business. I'll prefer if you call her ma'am only in the office."

"Okay, sir." Walking forward, I placed the files on his table. "These are the files you wanted."

"I asked for no file."

"But you called me."

"Take a seat." I sat opposite to him. "Thank you." My eyes widened slightly at his confession. "For the marriage. Alina needed that. She needed a brother."

I nodded my head.

"And—" He was interrupted by a knock on the door. "Come in." Anjali entered the office and placed a file in front of him. He nodded for her to go and she left us alone before passing me a smile and I returned it.

Kabir skidded his gaze between us. "Is there something going on?"

"No!" I exclaimed. "What should I do to make you see I love Nisha, sir?"

"I don't like that tone of yours. You may be Nisha's boyfriend, but at work, you're just employee and I'm your boss. So respect it." His one warning was enough for me to shut up.

Stop seeing him as your friend.

"Anyway." He opened the file. "I wanted to ask if you would like to join us tonight."

"What?"

"Dinner? Fancy one?"

His face frowned. The creases in his forehead increased. I wasn't liking the look on his face.

"Kabir, are you okay?" I asked worriedly.

He shut the file close in a harsh manner. "Where do you live, Rahul?!"

"What?"

He stood up from his seat, peered at me for a couple of minutes before cursing. "Where do you live, Rahul? You told me you found an apartment."

"I did," I lied. "It's in a very good building."

"Which building?" He demanded. "The one near the same bar?" My eyes widened as I stared at him. "Fuck!" He cursed and inter-come. "Anjali, cancel all my meetings of today."

"But sir—"

"I said cancel them. I've to be somewhere else. Tell Mr. Sethi, Rahul is coming with me." He cut the call and took his coat from his chair. "You, get up."

"But sir—"

"Rahul, now. Come with me. How much stupid can you be?" He hurled out of the office in anger, and I strode after him. Anjali passed us a worried look, but her hands were working on canceling the meetings.

Once we were inside the lift, he wore his coat and sighed to control his anger. I thought of asking but decided against it. He was my boss. I was just an employee.

Once we were on the ground floor, Kabir strode to the valet parker and asked him to bring his car. In the glare of the sun, he glared at me.

"You make it hard not to kill you." The car arrived, and he nodded his head for me join him. Helplessly, I sat next to him and roughly, he drove the car out of the place and put it on the road.

"What are you doing, sir?" I asked, horrified by his driving.

"Are you stupid? You're living with the same men who worked for your uncle." He shouted. "Do you want to die?"

"He's dead!" I put the seatbelt on. He would kill me.

"But not his men." He shouted back. "Do you think they don't see your resemblance to him?"

I was about to argue when the morning came into my mind and shut me up. He didn't say anything for an hour and stopped the car outside the building.

"We're getting your stuff, and you're going to live with me."

"Sir, but—"

"I don't care! Just get your stuff. Pack your bags. It's serious, Rahul. Do it for Nisha. I will explain later everything." Reluctantly, I moved out of the car with him hot on my heels. Opening my apartment door, he didn't wait a second before throwing orders, "Get your bag." I brought out my bag and placed it on the bed, and he started throwing my clothes in it. All of them. "Get every important stuff you want. You're not coming back here again. You know what just get the clothes. I will send my driver. He'll get it."

I was loss of words. What should I say him? Should I shake his shoulders and wake him up from the madness he was getting into? I had been living here for almost five months. Nothing happened till now.

Sighing, I placed my clothes which weren't needed because most of them were already in my bag and closed shut.

"Any important stuff?" He looked around, and I was about to grab it when he took my mom's photo and placed it inside the bag. "Let's go." He walked out of the apartment while I gathered my phone charger and went downstairs with him.

He had already put the bag in the back and sit in the car. As soon I sat, his crazy driving started again, but halfway through his ragged breath calmed down, his driving calmed down and his face calmed down.

Reaching his house, he parked the car while I waited, confused and disoriented with all the facts that happened in an hour. He didn't even care to explain to me what just happened.

What the fuck did he think about himself? He could boss me in office, he could boss me in the meeting, but not in my personal life.

Angered, I get off the car and entered after him.

"What do you want, sir?" I asked. "Entering an employee's personal life is not very professional of you."

He removed his specs and rolled his eyes. "Stop with this sir thing. That is pathetic."

I burst out.

"The first time I came in your office as an employee, you told me to call you sir. You told me to hide we had any friendship, you told me to hide my relationship with Nisha because maybe it wasn't good for your reputation. Today you forced me to call my best friend ma'am in front of my friends. You don't acknowledge me in the office," I spat. "You're my boss and I'm your employee."

His jaw clenched. "Shut up."

"No, I won't!" I shouted. "You're so inhuman. What have I done to make you hate me so much? Today you controlled my personal life. What's your problem? You love making people dance on your toes. Since you've joined the business, you've become inhuman. Kabir Oberoi, one of the most successful businessman in India under thirty." I clapped my hands. "But the most disgusting man I've ever seen."

And then I felt a burn against my jaw. Catching it, I saw Kabir, glaring at me and waving his hand in the air.

"You want to know why I'm like this. Go and tell everyone that you're my best friend, tell that Nisha is your girlfriend and listen what they say. Listen when they say you got the job because of connections, not because of your degree. Go on and do. I'm forcing you?! I'm forcing myself to behave like that so that you won't hear such words that I favored you because I did favor you, and I would it thousand times because you're my brother." He shouted, opening the button of his coat and running a hand through his hair.

The burn in my jaw lessened but not the impact of his words.

"You think just because of one incident, I'll forget our friendship? Who do you take me as?! I hurt Alina today to make sure you don't get trouble in the office. I disappointed Sanchi and Dhruv. And I'm inhuman?! I fought for your cases. You think going to court was fine? I did everything in my power to remove the legal cases going against you. The police don't care. They got what they wanted, and I knew they would leave you alone. Was I stupid to come with you every single morning to the court, leaving my girlfriend alone in the bed, the thing I hated the most to do?!"

He caught his forehead, but he wasn't finished.

"Yes, I haven't been talking to you because I don't want to. You betrayed me! You hid from me that you love Nisha. I would've happily accepted it. But you hid it from me. Okay, that's fine but you walked to your own grave. Not once you told me someone was troubling you. Don't you trust me? No, you want to be the hero, you want to the save the world. The world is not your responsibility. Not once you came to me. What type of friend are you?"

"I get the news from officers in the cases you're involved. I found you in the hospital. Do you think it was easy to see both you and Nisha? I sat beside you, hoping you would wake up. Your family didn't come to visit you. I posed as your family member. I gave your hospital bills just to see you alive. They took Veer and left. I knew you would be broken, but you lied on my face again that they accepted you. And a month later, Nisha tells me you're living on streets. Why?" He caught the collar of my shirt. "Why can't you come to me for once?"

"I was humiliated." I pushed him off me, trying to contain the emotions stuck in my eyes. "From what face do I ask you? Because of me, two people died. Your sister almost died."

"And you also did," He yelled. "Do you even know how fatal your wound was? How many operations you had to go through? I was supposed to be next to Nisha, but no, I was waiting outside OT to hear news about you. And yes, I give you a job in my company because for months, you were trying for a job and all you got was rejection. You borrowed money from Dhruv, but not once you came to me! I favored not because of Nisha because I was scared you would do something stupid again." He went into his room, leaving me alone with the thoughts. Why he hid so many things from me? Why me?

Strolling out, he had a ball in his hands. His way of controlling his anger when it got too much.

He huffed and sat down on the sofa. "And today again. Were you living there? Do you've any idea of what problem you put yourself into? If they got you were his nephew, they'll come after you. In no time, they'll learn you killed him."

"Why you lied to me?" I stumbled back as if the weight of his confessions was too hard to handle. Was it Kabir? Kabir I thought hated me, despised our friendship and so much more. "Why you hid?"

"What was I supposed to do? Parade the things I do in front of your face. I don't do that. You thought I hate you? You? Can you hate your brother? And I'm inhuman? I'm the most disgusting person you've met."

I would take back my words if it was possible, right here, right now. He stared at the floor, clutching his neck tightly.

"Kabir."

"Sir me now," He barked. "I'm your boss."

"Shut up." Going to the kitchen, I filled a glass of water and gave him in the living room. He didn't protest and took it. "Calm yourself. Do you want me to call Alina?"

He shook his head and closed his eyes for a momentary second. I almost argued that she would calm your anger, but he was doing a good job himself.

"I'm sorry," I said, sitting beside him. "I thought of you wrong."

"Didn't everyone?" He chuckled darkly. "Dhruv shouted at me, Sanchi shouted at me, Nisha shouted at me."

He licked his lower lip, leaned his head at the back. "What? No words anymore?"

"You suck, you know?" I pointed out. "I'm not your responsibility, Kabir. You're always handling my mess."

"You're not, but I can't stop myself. I don't like seeing you hurt. What to do? My inhuman nature," He said sarcastically. "I helped because I wanted to. You always helped me when I needed it. You were always there when I messed up." He met my gaze. "I'm sorry for everything. I know you hate hiding your relationship, but just for a bit. Just let things get settled. Let them see your hard work. Okay?"

I nodded.

"Who did you pose as by the way?" I asked curiously.

"Your brother of course. What did you think?" He asked, narrowing his eyes, rolling his glasses in his hands.

"Oh nothing, just as a brother-in-law."

"Too fast, Rahul. Calm it. That's my sister. Wait a second." He whipped his head to me. "You proposed Nisha?"

"Kind of." She found the ring herself. "She refused."

"Good. You need to have a place to keep her. I'm not sending my sister to live there." I nodded at his harsh tone. He was just worried about his sister. Any brother would be. "If you want, I can."

"No," I groaned. "I'm saving money. You pay me too much."

"I don't." He winked. "It's the salary. I don't control it. I'm not free for such stuff. I just make sure my employees get what they deserve. And you've made holidays of one week." I knew it would be coming soon. "You're coming with me to Singapore."

"What?" I whispered, shocked by his revelation.

"The new hotel we are opening? I need advice on finance. You're coming."

"But Mr. Sethi."

"That man annoys me." He leaned back on the sofa. "The only reason he's there because dad preferred him, and he works good, but I want to take you. Any problem?" I shook my head. Who would say no to such opportunity?

"You're the boss."

He chuckled. "I love being boss someday. Just come, okay? You have a sharp mind. I've seen your work. If you sucked, I would've never kept you. I love my hotels too much."

"Of course, your second wife." He scowled. "Tell me, did you really worked on your honeymoon? Are you stupid? Who does that? You've such a—" He glared at me. "Beautiful wife."

"Just for ten minutes. It was an emergency. I wasn't fond of. And Alina is no less. She threatened to break my laptop. She jumped on the bed and read, disturbing me all night because I worked. That girl knows how to take revenge."

"So lots of sex, huh?"

"Don't." But he was grinning. "She's damn irresistible with her cuteness." I laughed, finally feeling we were fine. Yes, we were fine. "Want to have a drink?" He asked.

I grinned. "I thought you would never ask."

_____________________

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

165K 15.1K 16
𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐯𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐬𝐞𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐥 𝐭𝐨 "𝐑𝐞𝐝 𝐒𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬: 𝐅𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐁𝐨𝐧𝐝" 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐢𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐞 �...
163K 6.8K 99
loveseries#1 Cover credits: @AMBER_0501 "How can you stoop this low Advi? You have fallen this low just to make me loose my deals? You have set a spy...
12.8K 546 42
What if someone becomes your life without even your knowledge. When someone breaks down all the walls and snatches your heart away...... ...
194K 6.9K 43
"I'm not your personal doctor. And why the hell you want me to bandage your forhead when you have long list of girls to do it for you." I said glarin...