Love Don't Know What Distance...

By kanersgirl

Maddie Clark, a university graduate decides to move back to Chicago, her home town. While trying to get her... More

Chapter 1- Welcome Home
Chapter 2- Jet Lag
Chapter 3- It's The Start Of Something New
Chapter 4- Battle Scars
Chapter 5- Run
Chapter 6- Moving In
Chapter 7- The Encounter
Chapter 8- Jealousy
Chapter 9- First Impressions Are Important
Chapter 11- Heartache

Chapter 10- Love At First Sight, If That Exists At All

716 22 12
By kanersgirl

Andrew's POV:

I walked out of the showers and headed to my stall. I told the rest of the guys Maddie and I would meet them there so they all left. I was all changed and got all my stuff when I saw a puck at the back of my stall.

Pulling it out I read the tape around it which said "GWG for Maddie". I smiled when I read it and decided it was time to give it to her.

I walked out towards the benches and saw that Maddie was shooting pucks towards the net. I smiled at the sight of her playing hockey, I love a girl you can play. Soon she noticed me and grabbed all the pucks and skated over to me. "Hey, you ready?" I asked as I greeted her with a kiss.

"Yeah just let me get these skates off and we can go" she said, I just nodded my head. I waited for her to finish before getting the puck out. I sat down next to her as she got up and start walking towards the exit when she realized I was still sitting there.

"We're gonna be late" she said as she sighed and sat down next to me. "It's okay, but I wanted to give you something" I said and handed her the puck. I saw her confused look turn into a smile as her cheeks turned red. "This is probably the sweetest thing anyone's ever given me" she said as she wrapped her hands around my neck and kissed me.

"I'm glad you like it" I said and wrapped my arm around her waist as we walked out to my car.

Once we arrived at the Palace Grill we could already see the rest of the guys talking with fans. I took hold of Maddie's hand and walked over to them.

"Well it's about time you 2 got here!" Kaner shouted which caught the attention of not only all the players but the fans too.

"Well will you look who's here, Andrew Shaw and his girlfriend" I heard a couple men yell from in the kitchen and now as if not all eyes were on us, they were. "Haha yeah" I said awkwardly as Maddie and I sat down.

Maddie's POV:

"So Maddie we heard you're coming to the game tonight" Corey said to me just as I sat down. "Yeah I am" I said and smiled as I read the menu. "Well how about you come sit behind the benches with coach?" Seabrook jumped in. "Uhm I don't know.. are you sure that's okay?" I asked, a little unsure of what to say.

 I mean I wanted to say yes, I think it would be cool to stand by the benches but some of the guys were giving me looks like they didn't want me there. I was about to answer and say no when Andrew tugged on my sleeve and pulled me near him.

"The guys really do want you there, you're the first girlfriend they actually like" he said as he let me go and smiled. I nodded my head and smiled as I turned to face Corey again. "I'd love to sit behind the benches with you guys, but on one condition" I said which caused a couple of the players to raise their eyebrows.

I let out a little laugh, "It's nothing too big, I just want my best friend Natalie to be with me too" I said and as soon as I said that everyone let out a little sigh of relief and agreed to let Natalie sit with me.

I smiled real big as we ordered food. The rest of lunch went by really well. The guys were all so fun and relaxed. I loved hanging out with them. In fact I invited them all over to my house later next week for a party and got all their numbers. They treat me as their little sister and quite frankly I like it.

Andrew enjoys lunch too, he said it's the first time the guys actually approve of his girlfriend.

After lunch Andrew drove me back home, I told him I'd call him and he kissed me goodbye before I left.

I unlocked the door and walking with a big smile, I couldn't wait to tell Natalie the big news. Not only would she be going to the game but now we get to sit right behind the benches with Coach Q and the other staff members.

"Nat?" I yelled as I walked around the house with no sign of her. I know she's here, I saw her car parked in the garage, but where could she be?

I walked up to her room and knocked a couple times, and still no answer. So I barged in to find Natalie laying on her bed crying. I quickly rush over to her bed and sit next to her and wrap my best friend in my arms.

"Nat I'm here now, it's okay" I said as I patted her back trying to calm her down.

"What's wrong?" I finally ask as Natalie finally started to calm down. "Drew and I broke up" she said as she hugged me tightly.

Drew was her on and off boyfriend but I could tell that this time it was done for sure. They've been seeing each other since last year and I thought they made a cute couple, but Drew could use a little work on his attitude.

"Awh hun I'm so sorry" I said but that was about it before Natalie started talking again. "I saw him kiss some skanky blonde today" she said as she let go of me to grabbed some tissues.

"Drew's an asshole, he didn't deserve you at all. You deserve someone who's commit ed to you, and cares just as much as you care for them. Be glad you caught him now, I mean with a guy like him who knows what else he could've done" I said which got a smile out of Natalie.

"Thanks Maddie, you really are the bestest friend anyone could ever ask for" she said and hugged me one last time as she got off the bed.

"I know, and I think this news I've got for you might keep me there for a while" I said and gave her a big smile.

"The guys asked if I wanted to sit with them and Coach Q behind the benches, and they said you could come with me!" I said as I was soon attacked with a big hug.

"Oh my gosh Maddie this is great news! Ah I've got to get ready!" she said as she ran off to her closet to pick out which jersey she'd wear. I let out a chuckle before leaving her room to let her get ready.

~2 hours later~

It was 4pm and gates open in an hour, luckily for us we lived only 20 minutes away from the UC so we can make it there and get a parking spot before all the spots are taken.

I was all dressed, I had on a pair of black skinny jeans with my Andrew Shaw home jersey, with a pair of black converses. I grabbed my purse and walked downstairs to do some last minute touches to my hair and make up.

5 minutes later I finished and stood at the bottom of the stairs waiting for Natalie. "Natalie c'mon I wanna get there before all the parking spots are taken!" I yelled and in a matter of seconds I heard her door open and saw her run down the stairs.

I looked her up and down to see she had on a dark wash skinny jeans, a Leddy home jersey, and her red converse. She was also wearing Hawks beanie and had her purse with her as well. I figured she chose to wear the beanie so she wouldn't have to fix her hair.

I smiled before linking arms with her. "Well, lets get going!" I say just before we break into laughter and head into Natalie's car.

"Haven't seen you in a Leddy jersey in a while" I teased, which was true. Natalie only wore her Leddy jersey on special occasions. "Yeah, well I felt like wearing it tonight" she said as I noticed she was blushing. I didn't want to point it out so I just nodded my head and kept that to myself.

We arrived in 20 about 20 minutes just like I said we would, and of course since were here so early there were still lots of parking spots available.

Once Natalie parked the car we grabbed our purses and linked arms again as we walked into the players entrance to the UC.

Once we got there a security guard stopped us. "Excuse me where do you two think you're going?" he asked as he stuck his hand out shielding the door. Ugh I hate security guards.

"I'm Maddie Clark, Andrew Shaw's girlfriend. And this is my friend Natalie Carter, I was allowed to bring along a guest." I explained as I saw the guard check over a list he had in his hand. "You're on the list, sorry about that. We get a lot of fans trying to sneak in here and I just wanted to make sure you weren't one of them" he said before opening the door and letting us in. Natalie and I both said our thank you's before we walked through.

"C'mon down here" I said as I grabbed Natalie's hand and lead her over to the locker room. Andrew texted me earlier saying that he and a couple others would be here already so we wouldn't have to wait alone.

We stopped right in front of the locker room door and I was about to open it until Natalie grabbed my hand. "I'm scared" she said as she let go of my hand. I turned to face her and smiled. "There's nothing to be scared of, they're all really nice and you'll get along well with them." I said reassuring her before I opened the door and walking in first.

I turned around and saw Natalie followed me in as well. I grabbed her hand and literally had to drag her over to where Andrew and the others were. I took a quick look and saw Andrew, Kaner, Bollig and Leddy.

I smiled as I went over to greet them with Natalie by my side. "Hey guys, this is my best friend Natalie" I said as I moved aside and gave Natalie a little push.

I may have accidentally pushed too hard cause Natalie stumbled onto Leddy's lap. The guys started laughing and so did I as I looked over at the 2 and noticed they were both blushing. Then I watched as Natalie awkwardly got off Nick's lap and sat next to him.

"Sorry" she said as she smiled and turned to face the rest of us.

"C'mon Andrew I wanna show you something" I said as I pulled him up with me. He gave me a confused look at first but then I rolled my eyes at Natalie and Leddy and he caught on pretty quickly.

Natalie's POV:

After Maddie and Andrew left it was only about a good 5 minutes before Bollig and Kaner made up some lame excuse to leave. I knew what was going here, they're trying to set me up with Nick Leddy.

When it was just the two of us in the room I decided to break the silence since it was a little too awkward here. "Hey I was wondering if you could show me a couple of your stick and puck bounces? I hear you're the most creative" I said and smiled.

Nick's smile matched mine as he grabbed my hand and took me into another room. He then left me there and came back with 2 pucks and 2 sticks. He handed me a puck and stick then stood directly in front of me. "Learn from the master" he teased as he started bouncing the puck on his stick.

He did a couple normal bounces, then he did a few in between his legs, one all around his body, and even a couple right above his head. He ended off with a couple wall bounces until the puck finally hit the floor.

I laughed while watching him bounce that puck all around the room. "Oh you think it's funny eh? I'd like to see you do better" he smirked and that's when I stopped laughing and got the puck and stick ready.

I started doing a couple normal bounces but the puck kept falling after at the most, 3 bounces. Nick started laughing but then I gave him a little death glare and he stopped. "Here let me help" he said as he wrapped his arms around me and helped me bounce the puck a couple times.

We stayed like this for a couple minutes and it was pretty comforting with his arms around me. Then he untangled himself from me and let me try a couple by myself.

Surprisingly the puck didn't fall on the floor until about 50 bounces. "Well I guess you're a pretty good teacher" I said as I picked up my puck and started heading back to the locker room. "Well what can I say, I am the master" he joked as I elbowed his chest.

We were laughing and having a pretty good time, and as we walked back into the locker room I saw the eyes of about 26 players and a smirking Maddie. I looked up at the clock and didn't realize Nick and I had been gone for half an hour.

"Well it was fun hanging out with ya" Nick said before he walked over to his stall. I smiled after him as I joined Maddie and Andrew.

"Oh wipe that smirk off your face!" I said to Maddie as I began to blush. "Fine, lets go get some food" Maddie said as she linked arms with me lead me out of the locker room.

"So you and Leddy eh?" Maddie smirked as we walked up to a vending machine. "Shut up!" I said as I bought a bag of pretzels and diet coke. "Fine, but I think he's in to you" Maddie said as she bought a bag of Doritos and walked back to the locker rooms.

I stood there for a couple moments longer thinking about what Maddie just said before I rushed over to catch up with her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

235K 4.2K 65
Delilah has always had a dream of becoming a photographer. So how can she say no to the Blackhawks' job offer? She meets the one and only Patrick Kan...
46.8K 674 42
After the death of her brother, 12 year old Rian Fitzgerald goes into break down mode. She and her brother made a deal that he would push Rian until...
319 7 11
Molly loves her life...well most of it. She has great friends and a wonderful family, but there is one thing that needs to change before she can tru...
4.6M 92.3K 60
When photography student, Willow Kennedy, gets offered an internship with her college's renowned ice hockey team, The Michigan Wolverines, she antici...