Of Beauties And Beasts

By gingerbread250

Highest Rating: #1 in Historical Fiction. Currently #1 under Historical Romance Lady Ginny Sherman is force... More

Authors Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Epilogue- Rosamaria Pt. 1
Epilogue-Rosamaria Pt 2
Epilogue- Rosamaria Pt. 3
2M Reads?!?!

Chapter Twenty

82.8K 3.5K 201
By gingerbread250

One month later....

"Oh m'lady! Ye must try it on!" Kitty exclaimed.

"I know! Stephen it's beautiful!" Ginny exclaimed, twirling around, pressing the dress against herself.  Its satin white fabric tickled her legs.  She would look like a swan in it, graceful and beautiful. "I love it."

"I knew you would." he nodded, looking her up and down.  "You can go ahead and try it on if you like."

"No, that's alright. I don't want to soil it before the ball." Ginny said, gently placing it back in its box to Kitty's disappointment. She wrapped the tissue paper around it before firmly closing the lid.  She noticed another dress box sitting in the corner. "Who is that for?"

"I...I bought one for Rosamaria as well..." he explained carefully.

Ginny stiffened slightly at the sound of her sister's name, "Oh.

Kitty laid a comforting hand on her shoulder. Ginny smiled at her gratefully.

"Would you like to see that one as well?" he offered.

"No." she said suddenly.  She shook her head. "I don't want to remember anything about her."

She gathered up the dress box in her arms and marched towards the stairs with Kitty trailing after her, already chatting about the ball and how exciting it would be.  She carefully placed the box on her bed and stepped away from it.  She was itching to try on the dress, but she would get to see it on herself later tonight.  She needed to be patient.

"Ye can still try it on if ye wish, m'lady." Kitty said as if reading her mind.

"No, that's alright. I'll get to wear it soon enough." Ginny smiled at her friend.

Kitty sighed, "Very well. Oi'll go make the tea." She said hurrying off to the kitchens.

Ginny's fingers itched to touch the dress's soft fabric and to let it float over her body. But she refrained. It was difficult to do when she still had five hours until the ball started.  Not that she was excited for it. She hated going to balls.  They were always so crowded and loud...but she was kind of looking forward to dancing with Stephen.  She sighed, imagining what it would be like to be in his arms, spinning around the floor with him.  She was also slightly worried. Maybe he didn't want to dance. Maybe she would only get to stand and watch and wish she was dancing with him. 

"Is something wrong? You do like the dress, don't you?" Stephen's voice startled,  making her jump.

She lifted a trembling hand to smooth out the fabric of her skirt and laughed, "You frightened me. I didn't hear you come in."

He came over, tilting her chin up with his finger, studying her face, "Why do you look worried? It's the dress, isn't it? You don't like it?"

"No, no I love it." Ginny laughed nervously. "It's beautiful, really."

"Then what is it?" He asked.

"Nothing, it was silly." Ginny started to slip past him, trying to get away.

He grabbed her arm, "This matters to me. I want you to be happy."

Her spirits lifted slightly at that. He wanted her to be happy? He actually cared?  Ginny shrugged and studied her fingers bashfully, "Will you...will you dance with me tonight?"

Relief fell across his face, "That's all you were concerned about? Of course I'm going to dance with my wife."

"That was a ridiculous question, wasn't it?" Ginny smiled awkwardly, twisting her fingers.

"It wasn't ridiculous." He replied, wrapping his arms around her waist, tugging her closer to him.  He studied her with his dark, deep eyes. Ginny found herself only inches from his face.  His breath tickled her face, sending shivers down her back. He smiled at her slightly. "Besides, I can't wait to dance with you. As long as you don't step on my toes."

Ginny guffawed and shoved at him, "I can dance!"

He chuckled. Ginny liked the sound of it. His laugh was deep and rumbled in his chest. He leaned down and gently pressed a kiss to her lips.  He mumbled, "I'm only teasing."

"I know." She said, feeling slightly breathless.

"I should go and prepare for tonight..." he said, a look of regret showing in his eyes.  He quickly placed another kiss on her lips before hurrying from the room.

Ginny stood there, feeling breathless and dizzy. She didn't know kissing Stephen would have that effect on her.  She kind of liked it.  She smiled to herself, shaking her head.  What was happening to her?  She couldn't possibly be falling in love with this man.  That seemed ridiculous. He was so harsh and cold...but he was also kind and sweet. And he always made her legs feel like jelly.  Somewhere, in his heart, she knew he had kindness hidden inside.  Life had trampled over him in the past, she could see that.  But hopefully he would find it in his heart to love her, because she was starting to love him.

.......................................................

Ginny checked her hair in the mirror one last time before stepping back to admire her dress.  She ran her fingers over he soft fabric and smiled. It was a beautiful dress. It was perfect. 

"Oh m'lady." Kitty gasped, tears in her eyes. "You're fit to be a queen."

Ginny clasped her friends hands. "Thank you for helping me. I so wish Oi could go as well."

Kitty shook her head, smiling sadly, "Lady's maids don't attend balls, silly girl." Kitty shook her head. "Enough about me. This is yer night. Go an' enjoy it."

Ginny hugged her friend one last time before leaving her room. When she walked down the steps, she couldn't help but giggle at Stephen's reaction. His mouth fell slightly open.  She excepted his hand and followed him out to the carriage. He leaned down towards her.

"You look beautiful, Ginny." He whispered, his hot breath tickling her ear.

She blushed slightly. "Thank you for the dress. It's lovely."

"Anything for my lovely wife." He said, squeezing her hand.

Ginny stepped into the carriage, carefully trying not to step on the hem of her dress. Stephen climbed in beside her, and waved at the driver to drive off.  Ginny could feel Stephen studying her, but she was too nervous to look his way.  She fumbled with her hands in her lap, watching the homes pass by as they rumbled down the road. When they reached the Queen's palace where the ball was taking place, Stephen helped her back down.  He looped her hand through his arm and led her up the stairs to the front doors.

The announcer turned and called out their names to the crowd, "Lady and Lord Stephen Knightly."

Ginny felt slightly awkward at being announced as Lady Knightly. Sometimes, she forget she was even married to this man, who was currently studying everyone with a cold, hard gaze.  They descended the steps and Stephen greeted a man at the bottom.

"Phillip. This is my wife, Lady knightly.  Ginny, this is Lord Phillip Williams." He explained to the short, pudgy looking man.

"Always a pleasure, my lady," the man leaned down, placing a small kiss on her knuckles.

"The pleasure is all mine." She said softly, feeling shy.

Stephen talked with the man about a new trading business that was starting up in the north. Ginny had tuned them out after the first few minutes. She let her gaze wander around the room.  There were ladies in all different colors of dresses. Some had red on, others wore blues and greens. She even spotted one with a golden dress, spinning around the dance floor with a handsome looking man.  Ginny was the only one dressed in a white gown.  It made her stand out against the pastel blues and purples.

"I hope to see you again, Lady Knightly." Phillip said, looking slightly annoyed.

"Hm? Oh yes, of course." She dipped into a curtsy.

After he had moved away, Stephen leaned down and spoke into her ear, "Are you alright?"

"Yes why?" She asked, confused.

"Lord Phillip has been trying to speak to you and you were ignoring him.  I imagine he was quite perturbed."

Ginny laughed, "He was speaking to me? I apologize, I must have been daydreaming."

A silly smirk fell across his lips. "Well, if you are done daydreaming, I would like to get a chance to dance with my wife."

He held out his hand to her.  Ginny excepted it, liking the feel of his warm fingers in her own. "Of course, my lord."

He led her out onto the floor as a slow song began.  Ginny slowly fell into step, keeping her head down slightly. Stephen tilted her head up and smiled, "Normally you would look at your partner while you dance."

"I apologize. I'm just nervous." She squirmed slightly underneath his gaze.

"I make you nervous?" He rose an eyebrow.

"Well...yes..." she said as he spun her in a circle before pulling her close to him again.

"Why?"

"Well, I mean...I don't know." Ginny lied, keeping her eyes on his shoulder.

She peeked up at him slightly before ducking her head.  She rested her head on his shoulder so she wouldn't be forced to look at him anymore.  Why was he making her feel so flustered?  She couldn't even look him in the eye without  butterflies fluttering around in her stomach.  She felt Stephen's hand slip slightly lower down her back as they spun around slowly.

"I want you to meet my father." He spoke into her ear, after the song had ended. "And then we can call it a night. Does that sound good to you?"

"Yes." Ginny replied, letting him led her away.

He pointed to a stern looking man standing off to the side. "That is my father. The Duke of Hatfield."

The man was tall with broad shoulders and had white hair. His eyes were sharp and dark colored. Stephen had his father's eyes for sure.  His stance was making Ginny feel nervous as they walked up.  He seemed demanding and harsh.  Just like Stephen.  The man nodded to Stephen, "I didn't think I would see you here."

"I didn't think I would be here. But I wanted you to meet Ginny. She is apart of the family now." Stephen explained, squeezing her hand in reassurance.

Stephen's father eyed her carefully. His eyes snapped away from her face, "You, Stephen, abandoned his family long ago."

She could feel Stephen stiffened slightly at his father's words, but he kept a cool head. He nodded, "And I apologize for that."

"When I needed you most, you left me." His father ground out.

"You mean when you needed money." Stephen glared at him. "It was always about the money for you."

"It was always about you and your mother for me, and taking care of you!" His father clenched his teeth, his face growing red with anger.

Stephen relaxed slightly, "I'm really sorry, pa. About everything."

His father ignored him, keeping his hard eyes on the dancers.  Stephen tugged on Ginny's arm. Ginny stopped halfway out of the door, "That's it? You aren't even going to try and work things out with him?"

"In his own time, he will come around," Stephen explained. He looked over his shoulder. "I just needed to apologize for leaving him.  How the rest of our relationship goes is his choice."

Copyright © 2016 by Rosanna Parker

All Rights Reserved

Okay I wrote way more than I thought I would! I hope you liked it! I plan to write more soon so keep checking in for updates!

-Rosanna

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.2K 236 37
All of her life, she thought to marry a romantic man who could take care of her till death and didn't care about wealth that much. A man which she co...
62.3K 1.4K 33
After years of ups and down, Ryan William is left all alone even though he's surround by a lot of people. Choosing his love over the girl everyone th...
156K 7K 34
Alexander smiled at her. "You are quite likeable, Emmeline, and I think we might one day be dear friends, but I doubt I shall ever wish to marry you...
239K 5.3K 88
{COMPLETE} When Isabella's wedding ceremony is ruined by the one and only Kyzer Caruso, he kidnaps her and forces her to love him, no matter how long...