Dark Beauty

By RimaSantana

Popular, smart, and pretty... Layla King, the daughter of an infamous Chicago drug Lord is a 16-year girl wh... More

Dark Beauty { Urban Fiction }
Qoute
"The Past."
C H A P T E R 1 : The Beginning.
chapter 2: DownLow
Chapter 3: Missing You.
C H A P T E R 5 : Surreal.
C H A P T E R 6 : Crooked Smile.
Chapter 7: Power Trip.
*PRESENT (Late) 2000's*
C H A P T E R 8 : Layla
C H A P T E R 9 : Lola
C H A P T E R 10: Logan.
C H A P T E R 11: Darien.
C H A P T E R 12 : Logan.
C H A P T E R 13 : Lola
C H A P T E R 14 : Lola P A R T 2
C H A P T E R 12 : Layla
C H A P T E R 13 : Layla
C H A P T E R 14 : Layla
C H A P T E R 15 : Layla
C H A P T E R 16 : Part 2 (from previous chapter.)
C H A P T E R 17 : Darien
C H A P T E R 18 : Darien
C H A P T E R 19 : Logan
C H A P T E R 20 : Lola ( With Part 2)
C H A P T E R 21 : Layla
C H A P T E R 22 : Lola
C H A P T E R 23 : Layla
C H A P T E R 24 : Darien
C H A P T E R 25 : Logan
C H A P T E R 26 : Layla
C H A P T E R 27: Lola
C H A P T E R 28 : Layla
C H A P T E R 29 : Darien.
C H A P T E R 30 : Darien
C H A P T E R 31 : Part 2 (Layla's Chapter) The last Chapter.
Characters (everyone mentioned in this book)

C H A P T E R 4 : Birthday Surprise.

12.9K 326 54
By RimaSantana

Friday

June 5th, 1995

3:45 p.m.

*Two weeks later*

"Mommy and daddy, look at me!" Layla yelled as she jumped rope.

Kodeni and Jeremiah looked over at Layla, who was a few feet away playing jump rope with her cousins.

"I'm jumping, daddy! I'm jumping!" she repeated excitedly.

"I see China-Doll," he said. "Let me see you jump higher."

Jeremiah watched his daughter repeatedly jump higher. Once he realized his daughter's attention was somewhere else, he directed his attention toward his wife. He pulled her in closer to him and wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Don't jump to high Layla," Kodeni warned.

Jeremiah stooped down and rested his chin on her shoulder. "Relax, ma, it's her birthday, let her have fun," he said softly.

Kodeni didn't say anything; she just chuckled. Her body relaxed against him as he placed gentle kisses to her neck. She giggled like a middle-aged school girl. "Don't tease me, daddy, you gon' start something you can't finish." She joked.

He laughed. "We can duck off for a quickie if that's what you hinting at," he said.

A smile spread across her face. "You'd like that, wouldn't you?" she asked playfully. She turned around. They were now facing each other. Kodeni stared up at Jeremiah, and he looked down at her. Gripping the back of his neck, she pulled his head closer and kissed his lips. The kisses she placed to his lips made his manhood stand at attention, so she pulled away and turned back around.

Jeremiah took note of what Kodeni' had just done. "Guess we gon save the rest for tonight?" he asked.

"Mhm." Kodeni agreed.

The pair went quite. Kodeni stood in front of Jeremiah while he stood behind her with his arms still wrapped tightly around her waist. They were enjoying each other's company. They were vibin' and watching everyone enjoy themselves, internally grateful that everyone decided to come and celebrate with them. It was moments like this that made Jeremiah thankful that he could be around his wife, child, and family with no worries.

It was no secret that Jeremiah and Kodeni were huge party animals. They threw parties for just about any occasion; birthdays, weddings, 4th of July, you name it. Almost every other day, there was a party at their house, and they made sure to never repeat the same theme twice. It was a delight and a pleasure whenever the couple could throw a party. They loved having family gatherings at their home; hell, it's the main reason why they got a big house. It was never a dull moment in their home, and today was just another moment at the King's house.

The party's atmosphere was filled with cigar smoke, barbecue, loud music, and laughter as everyone enjoyed themselves. The backyard was crackin' and filled to capacity with nothing but friends and family. What better way for everyone to bond and get closer than for it to be at a vibrant, extravagant birthday party? There were all types of Minnie Mouse decorations that any child could imagine. It was a great way to ring in their daughter's third birthday. Jeremiah and Kodeniˊ were definitely proud of the turnout. It was great that all of Layla's family from both sides could celebrate her birthday with her.

Kodeni directed her attention back to her daughter. She was still jumping rope. This time she wasn't jumping rope with her cousins; instead, she was playing with her half-sister, Monroe. Her and Monroe were the same age and almost resembled each other. However, it was one secret; they didn't know that they were sisters.

Kodeni nudged her husband to grab his attention.

Jeremiah reacted to his wife's nudge and looked over to where she was pointing. He watched as his daughters interacted with each other. "They're beautiful, ain't it?" he asked.

"Yeah, gorgeous," she answered sarcastically.

"What's wrong with you?" he asked nonchalantly.

Not biting her tongue Kodeni expressed her mind. "I don't see why you invited your other kids here, Jeremiah."

"Because they are her brothers and sisters and deserve to be in her life," he answered matter-factly. "I love my children all the same, and just because I'm with you doesn't mean that Layla is superior to them." he reminded.

"She thinks of them as her god-brothers and sisters, including the one she's playing with now," she replied.

"Look when the time is right, she and Monroe will meet and get to know each other," he said.

She sucked her teeth. "And when will that be?" she asked. Kodeni rolled her eyes. "I just don't see why you even-"

"In the meantime," he began, cutting her off. Jeremiah knew exactly where she was heading with the conversation. "I need you to act like a good stepmother and respect my children as your own. Do you understand that?" he questioned.

Kodeni didn't speak.

"Do you understand me, Kodi?" he repeated again in a more serious tone.

"Yeah," she mumbled.

A few people walked passed them. The couple plastered on fake smiles and acknowledged them. Once they were out of earshot, the discussion continued. "Anyway, shit is about to change," he stated.

"Oh yeah, how so?" Kodeni responded, her tone sounded uninterested.

Whether he was oblivious to her apathetic attitude or not, he answered her question. "I need my children not only to know about each other but to meet each other. They need to know that they are more than god-brothers and sisters. That they are blood and that they all they got in this world."

Kodeni shook her head no. "I'm not too keen on that idea, Jeremiah." He was about to interject, but she stopped him. "I don't care what you say. It's not happening," she stated matter-factly. "You're tryna drag my child into an unhealthy situation."

"The only unhealthy thing in this situation is you, Kodi." he snapped.

Kodeni's head jerked back at his comment.

"It's not about you or Indi or any of my other baby mama's. It's about my kids," he said. "Before I leave off this earth, I need my kids to know one another..." "...Not every day is promised for me, and you know that. Do you understand where I'm coming from with this?"

She sucked her teeth again and rolled her eyes. "Yeah," she answered. She blew her breath, and reluctantly shook her head, okay. "Alright." she agreed. "I get where you coming from, and ima play nice for the sake of you and the children, but they got one time to test my gangster, and I'ma beat they ass. So keep them hoes in check." she threatened.

He chuckled. "What I'm gon' do witcha?" he questioned.

Kodeni laughed. "I don't know, but I'ma tell you what I'ma do to ya baby mama Indi if she keeps looking at you, though." she ranted. "I know you still be sleeping with her."

He didn't confirm or deny her allegations. He chuckled and wrapped his arm playfully around her neck. With one motion, he pulled her in closer and then kissed the top of her forehead. "Chill out, man. None of that is important right now." he continued. "What they and I do is none of your business, and what we do is none of their business," he said. "You're my wife, and I love you till death do we part, and no one can take your place."

Kodeni gave him a faint smile. She grabbed hold of Jeremiah's hand and kissed the top of it. Kodeni wanted to press the issue more but decided that right now wasn't the best time, so she reluctantly let it go. She wanted to believe his words were sincere, but deep down, she knew they weren't. We not finished with this either, she thought to herself. After a few more words to each other, the conversation died between them. They stood next to one another quiet, both minds wandering off to another plane.

Kodeni's mind went back to his words. It was as if someone had voice recorded him and started replaying the same sentence repeatedly. Kodeni was no dummy; she knew for a fact that he was sleeping around on her. The fact that she had bought it up and he didn't confirm or deny it but instead change the subject gave her all the confirmation she needed.

As mentioned, she didn't need his confirmation because she knew. A woman's intuition never lies, plus the illegitimate child was an actual manifestation of her suspicions. She felt like a hypocrite. She always downed bitches who used the line 'At least he knows where home is,' but became the same bitch she despised. She knew that he had her out here looking like boo-boo the fucking fool, but the feeling she felt when she was with him was indescribable.

Kodeni knew that she could leave him; hell, their marriage was reasonably new still, but she wanted to stay and work out their differences. Every marriage had its ups and downs, and theirs was no different. She loved him, and deep down, she knew he loved her too. She thought it to be amazing; the safe feeling she felt every time he wrapped his strong, caramel, arms around her. Even though they had only been married for a few years, their marriage was the definition of love. Both friends and family referred to them as the 'ultimate mystery.' Even though the wedlock children, jail time, grand jury trials, cheating, and heartaches, she stood tall and proudly beside her man. The love she had for him was genuinely dear and earnest, and on top of that, Jeremiah knew all the right words to say to melt Kodeniˊs soul.

Even though Kodi knew that Jeremiah had skeletons in his closet that, if to be released, would wreak havoc, she didn't care. She put on her big girl pants and sucked it up. Kodeni knew that it was something about him that made her attracted to him physically and mentally. He was like a mystery, and every time she thought she figured him out, he'd switch up, and she'd find herself back at square one.

Jeremiah was the hood version of Ginuwine, the exact look-a-like, just with different trimmings. He was African American and towered at 6'2, but demeanor and swagger added another four inches. Jeremiah had a muscular frame and boasted the most transparent caramel skin with not a pimple in sight. His jet black waves were on fleek, and he always kept his mustache tidy. His personality was rugged but gentle, and he always dressed sharp. Jeremiah wore designer everything from head to toe. When he entered the room, his demeanor commanded respect without him having to say a word. Jeremiah was a man that didn't play any games. He was all about his family and spared no feelings or lives when it came to his money.

On the outside looking in, he seemed heaven-sent, but anyone who's ever crossed paths with him knows otherwise. Jeremiah was the devil reincarnated; hell, he was probably worse than the devil himself. At times he could be spiteful and nasty for no reason. The slightest thing could set him off. He was diagnosed with bipolar at the tender age of twelve, mixed with a rocky childhood, and an even more fucked up teenage and pre-adult life. There were times where you never really knew when he would snap or what he would do, which always kept everyone on eggshells.

In his eyes, everyone besides his kids and his business was a game. He never took anything or anyone serious, including his wife. Of course, he loved her, but she, just like everyone else, was all pawns in his real-life game of chess. There was never a moment that he didn't use her to his benefit. Even though he loved her, it would have been senseless for him to not use her. She was an asset and a financial gain.

See Jeremiah had always been in the dope game. It was one of the things his father did manage to teach him while he was growing up. Most kid's dad taught them how to ride bikes, his dad taught him how to cut rock. Most teenage boy's dad taught them about the birds and the bees, well, his dad taught him that while also teaching him to run a lucrative drug game. His life was no fairytale, he at one point had been working for his dad. Standing out on the corners late-night selling to the fiends on the street. Once he became driving age, he was a 'runner.' Moving kilos across state lines. He'd sold everything from weed to crack. He was great, and with age got better. With his dad's help, he built powerful connections, one of which was Kodeni.

When Jeremiah had first met Kodeni, it was for business and not pleasure. His intentions were solely based on getting close to her father. He wanted to get in good with her him, falling in love with the mixed beauty was just a plus.

Don't misunderstand; he liked her, but as mentioned before, he's always about business over pleasure. He wanted bigger and better and knew that her father could help him, and his dad expand. So he played the role, got in good, and became part of the family. Eventually, Kodi figured it out, and like a 'G' calmly confronted him about it. By this point, he found out that she had dibbled and dabbled around in the drug trade and convinced her to join his side, and together they run a crew; she agreed and never turned back. He then took the skills and knowledge that she had learned from her father and applied it to his team. He changed some things and added his own flair, and from there, it was over with.

With his woman by his side, they dominated the streets, taking down all opponents and knocking out any competition. He loved the fact that Kodi would do anything for him. She played roles and positions that most bitches would have folded on. Even if it wasn't comfortable or the most ideal, she made it do what it do, and for that, he loved and cherished her, and to a certain extent, respected her gangster. She was the queen to his King. She became his eyes to the street when he wasn't watching. Making sure the money aligned and everyone played the part. He was the face, but she was the brains behind the scene. So if it wasn't an event that needed both them present, he kept her secured in the house for safety reasons.

Their love was no fairy tale, and they both knew that, and believe it or not, Kodeni was okay with that. It's not like she was giving much of a choice. Hell, she left her dad's gang to join her husband. It was like she was never destined to live a regular life. All she knew was drugs, gangs, and fast money. She was left with no choice. Kodeni felt as if she owed it to her husband to stick by his side regardless of what happened because, at one point in time, all she did was put him through hell. Not only that, but she was the mother of his child, importantly, she had invested so much time and effort into him. She had become so wrapped up in him that she couldn't bear to see another chick reap the benefits.

As she took a minute to think back, she realized all the hell that she made him endure. She realized that a lot of shit he was doing now is payback from the shit in the past. She felt like she was forever indebted to him. Like the only way she could pay him back was to be the Bonnie to his Clyde.

"You are one of the lucky ones," everyone always tells her.

"You have a good man, one that these women would kill to have,"

People would say.

Whatever.

That's the only thing Kodi could think and say anytime someone complimented her man or how they'd love to have her spot.

Please bitch you'd fold in a heartbeat, she always wanted to say, but instead always gave a simple 'Oh really.' And went about her day.

It irked her.

She hated to be reminded of how 'good' of a man everyone thought Jeremiah was. She knew how good he could be, but she also knew how bad he could be. He was a piece of work, but he was a piece of work that she was willing to deal with.

You know that saying, women always admire something they can't have? Yeah, that applies to the bitches that envy their marriage. Women always admired what she and Jeremiah had, not knowing that it's not all cookies and cream. She knew that there was a line of bitches flocking to get into her spot somewhere in the world, thinking they had what it takes, not knowing that if she let them, they'd fold and run at the first chance they got.

Kodeni knew her man had traveling eyes, hell she did too. Still, she made it clear that he better understand where home is and that she was his main and that things at home needed to be taken care of first and that most importantly, it never affected Layla in any way.

As Kodeni stood next to Jeremiah, she reflected on the trials and tribulations they both faced over the past couple of weeks. They've been through so much that it was a surprise they were even still standing this close.

Her eyes bounced around the backyard; when she came across James, Jeremiah's best friend, and their business partner, she looked away.

Jeremiah looked over to her. "You good?" he asked. "You been quiet for a minute. What's on yo' mind, ma?"

"Nothing," she replied. "I'm good." she lied. It wasn't a complete lie. She was okay, up until she saw James. Seeing him bought back memories from their last encounter that she tried so hard to forget.

The feeling of betrayal crept into her mind causing her whole mood to change, and she knew Jeremiah felt it. She felt guilty. How can I just stand here next to him? Like a month ago, I just wasn't throwin' it back on his best friend? She questioned herself.

What was supposed to have been payback turned into something far more dangerous and frequent, and even though she tried not to enjoy it, she couldn't help but to. It wasn't in Kodeniˊ nature to just up and cheat. Still, she couldn't help the feeling she felt when James was inside her, and because of that reason alone, she was now pregnant, and it was possibly by him.

When a woman first finds out she's pregnant, it usually brings a sense of happiness to her and those around her, but in Kodeniˊ's case, it was the complete opposite. What should be a fantastic time for her is now a depressing time because she doesn't know who she's pregnant by? Though she has a hunch, she's afraid to openly admit to herself the actual answer. She wanted desperately to tell her husband, but she knew he was no dummy. Though he would probably be happy initially, she knew that Jeremiah would find out the real date of her conception and would get too demanding for the truth. If he found out the truth of who the baby belonged to, he would end all three of their lives.

Kodeniˊ sighed loudly; had she known what she knew now, she would have never gone back home with James. She would have checked into a hotel-like she had initially planned. But how could she not have known? Sleeping with James was something she did quite often when she and Jeremiah were at each other throats. In her mind, she wanted the baby to be Jeremiah's, but it was no secret that it was James. No matter the outcome, the baby would still be her husband's simply because Kodeni would never admit to cheating with his best friend. Not because there was anything physically or mentally wrong with James, but because Kodeni knew her husband would kill him and her if he had ever found out. Besides, they were back on good terms, and she didn't want to mess that up, nor risk her spot as the underground queen, or getting a divorce from the man that she loves.

The year is 1997, and it's a perfect summer's day to have a family function. Jeremiah looked out to the sea of people in the backyard in search of his third oldest daughter. When his eyes landed on her, he smiled. She was playing with her half-sisters Monroe and Tasia.

It was hard to believe that his little girl was turning four already. It seemed as if just yesterday, she was still in diapers. Before he knew it, she was going to be a woman and dating; something he regretted before it even began.

Layla was a beautiful little girl. She was one of the prettiest girls he had created. It was no secret that she was gonna be a catch when she got older; hell, all of his kids were because the simple fact remained that Jeremiah King hooked up with gorgeous women. Together they made strikingly beautiful children that people made sure to compliment. All of his children were African American and mixed with something, giving them the exotic looks that they possessed.

Jeremiah had 6 kids. Four girls and two boys. From the Eldest being Tasia to the youngest baby being Courtney. In between was Jeremiah J.R, Layla, Monroe, and then Carter. Tasia and Jeremiah Jr. belonged to his first baby mama Kiara. They were Afro-American and weren't mixed with anything. Monroe, who was combined with Hispanic, belonged to his third baby mama Perla. His fourth baby mama Carolyn gave birth to his last two. They were twins: Courtney and Carter. They were half Caucasian.

Last but not least, there was Layla. She was his third oldest, and his wife Kodeni was his second baby mama. Layla was African American, Asian, and Filipino.

All his children somewhat resembled each other, but Layla was different. Her Blasian and Filipino features were slightly starting to come in. Her brown eyes were beginning to slant like her mothers. Her skin was even beginning to even out and take on the brown color of her mother. The only thing she had inherited from her father was his nose and attitude.

"Daddy, look over here!" she yelled.

Jeremiah looked over towards her and smiled. "I see y'all gorgeous!" he yelled back, acknowledging all three of them playing.

Layla was a true daddy's girl. Whenever Jeremiah was home, Layla knew she could have whatever her little heart desired, even if her mother said no. To Jeremiah, Layla was his 'little princess,' and that's exactly what she was made into; nothing was ever too expensive. She was lavished with expensive clothing and jewelry. They even took her on costly outings, things that made Jeremiah's other baby mamas mad.

Kodeniˊ and Jeremiah were both living the definition of the 'fast life.' They were 'that couple' of the Chicago land area simply because Jeremiah was 'that nigga' in the dope game. He'd reached pinnacles in the game that certain nigga's his age and profession only dreamed of reaching. Alongside his child to adult homies, James and Joey; (and a little help from Kodi) established a well lucrative drug operation that flooded the streets of Chicago. It not only included drugs, but prostitution and a gruesome gang that was only growing bigger.

Jeremiah, James, and Joey made so much money that they lived the high life, the equivalent to a celebrity. There wasn't a corner in Chicago that they didn't own. Together they were nicknamed, 'The Untouchable Three.' Every time a case was pent against them, they seemed to beat it. Together they were the mature, mighty, intimidating light skins that made women's panties drop.

He felt a tug on his shirt, which caused him to break away from his thoughts. He looked down and smiled at Layla. She was looking up to him with a toothless smile. "Can you pick me up, daddy?" she asked sweetly.

Jeremiah didn't say a word. He just smiled and then broke away from his wife and picked up his daughter.

An hour or so passed, and the party grew bigger. Family and friends were still crowded in the back yard. Kodeni called out to everyone and told them to gather around the table where the cake sat. "Alright, everybody," She said as she unpackaged a number 4 candle and placed it on top of the cake. "Does anyone have a lighter?" she asked. "Where's my baby Layla?"

Seconds later, Jeremiah appeared from the middle of the crowd with her on his shoulders. "Right here."

"Why were you back there?" she asked. "You shoulda been up here from the start. I told you we were gonna cut the cake now," she complained.

"Chill," he said, clearly annoyed at her nagging. "I had to go handle something, and she came with me."

Kodeni gave him a death stare. She knew he was lying, but they were in front of people, so once again she let him slide, she did, however, roll her eyes at him. Without another word to him, she lit the candles on the cake. Jeremiah took his daughter off his shoulders and sat her down in front of the cake. "Okay, everyone, on the count of three," she said. "One...Two...Three," After three, everyone began to sing the famous birthday song. A smile spread across Layla's face as she watched everyone sing happy birthday to her. "Make a wish, baby girl." her mother said. Layla looked back at her mother and then turned back to her cake. She closed her eyes and made a wish. As she reopened her eyes, Jeremiah's pager went off.

An awkward silence washed over the table as he loudly patted his body in search of the device. Once his hands connected with it, he looked at it and then pressed a button to make it go silent. Jeremiah leaned over and whispered something into his wife's ear. As he spoke, her demeanor went from calm to annoyed. Before he walked off, she turned her head his way and shot a death stare to him; he returned it. After Jeremiah walked away, everybody turned their attention back on the cake. Kodeni picked up the knife and began to cut pieces for the party guests.

While her mother continued to service the guests, Layla's attention directed to her gift table. Every gift on the table looked big and extravagant. They were wrapped in all sorts of pretty gift wrapping and tied with gorgeous bows, but the one gift that grabbed her attention wasn't that big at all. She got up and walked toward the gift table located just a few centimeters away from the cake table. She reached for a pretty red box that had a gold ribbon wrapped around it. She then walked back to the table, and just as she was about to open it, Kodeni stopped her. She took the box and replaced it with a plate of cake and ice cream. "Hey!" Layla yelled.

Kodeni jerked her head back. "Excuse me?" she asked. "You wanna repeat that?" she asked her daughter.

"I wanted to open that mommy," she said. Layla gave her mother puppy dog eyes and poked her lips out.

"No," Kodeni told her daughter. "Eat first, and then you can open up gifts."

Layla huffed and puffed. She crossed her arms and poked her lips out. Kodeni didn't pay her any attention; instead, she went back to cutting pieces of cake. Minutes later, Jeremiah reappeared.

"Daddy," Layla whined.

"Wassup baby girl?" he asked.

"Mommy won't let me open up no gifts." she snitched. Kodeni paused at cutting the cake. Kodeni looked down at Layla in disbelief and then over to her husband standing next to her. "Can I open a gift, daddy?" she begged.

Jeremiah looked from Layla and then back to Kodeni. His wife was shooting a death stare at him as she mouthed the word 'no.' Jeremiah looked back down at his daughter. She was giving him puppy dog eyes, and she seemed so innocent. He couldn't tell her no. He chuckled and gave her permission to go ahead and open one gift. Layla reached for the gift she had previously picked out, but Jeremiah stopped her. "Hold on a sec baby girl," he said. He pulled out a gold box and then handed it to her. "Open this one." Layla tore into the gold box. Her eyes beamed with excitement as the gorgeous gold necklace sparkled back at her. "You like it, China doll?" he asked.

"Yes!" she yelled as she tore it from its protective bedding. "It's so gorgeous, daddy! I'ma hold it so dear to my heart." she said dramatically, causing a smile to spread across her father's face.

He laughed. "Alright, give it here, Miss. Drama queen." She handed the necklace over to him. He positioned himself behind his daughter and crouched behind her. "Now, while I clasp this around your neck, dig in there again," he said.

"Okay, daddy." She said. Layla did as he said, she then held up a silver necklace.

In a candid tone, she asked, "Who's this one for daddy?"

"That one's for your mama," Jeremiah answered as he took it from his daughter's hand. He unclasped it and put it around his wife's neck. "There, now it's even more beautiful." he complimented. Kodeniˊ cheeks began to turn red as she turned around and gave her husband a peck on the lips. "Now you two have a piece of my heart," he said. "If anything should happen to me, you two will have something to remember me by." he sweetly assured them both. The crowd gave aww's as they watched the family share a special moment.

Jeremiah stood up and moved behind the table that sat the rest of Layla's gifts. He picked up a big box and laid it in front of his daughter. As everyone ate their ice cream and cake, they watched Layla continue to open up her gifts. Layla ripped through the boxes with pure excitement. Everybody showed an interest in the toddler's expensive gifts, everyone except Indi; Jeremiah's illegitimate baby mother.

Indi watched on in anger. Her cheeks were red, and her eyes were glossy. She felt hostile, hopeless, and humiliated. The burning passion she was feeling was one she could not contain any longer. As she watched them, ill-natured things began to mask her thoughts. Her stomach cringed with every waking second that she watched the man who had promised her countless times that he would leave his pathetic little family for her.

He had yet to fulfill the promise, and in her mind, he was creepin', and she was sick of it. Indi wanted all of him and not some of him, and if she couldn't have him, then no one could. Time was running out, and her patience was running thin. Indi slowly and quietly backed out the yard and wobbled toward the red SUV parked in front of their house. She hopped inside, and the driver quickly started the car and drove away.

Time for a li'l payback. She thought. If this nigga think he can just be with them and me? He got me fucked up!

"Did you see him? James asked.

"Of course you idiot!" she yelled as she snapped the seatbelt over her bulging belly.

"So are you sure you wanna' go through with this?" he asked cautiously as he parked at the corner.

"Of course," she answered darkly. "If that lying two-timing bastard Jeremiah thinks he gon' be with me one minute and then that curly-haired bastard and that bitch next, then he got another thing coming!" she yelled, venom seeping through each word. James kept his mouth closed and eyes on the road as he listened to her rant.

Meanwhile back at the house, Layla continued to open up gift after gift. Jeremiah sat back and watched as his little girl rip through the wrapping on every gift. "Look, daddy!" Layla yelled with excitement.

"I see," he said. Seconds later, his pager started going off again. He ignored it. When it went off again, Kodeniˊ nudged him with her elbow. He looked at her, and she looked at him; the expression on her face let him know that she was annoyed. He ignored the look on her face. He gently rubbed the top of his daughter's head and then excused himself away from the party.

Kodeniˊ leaned over and whispered something into his mother, Mrs. King ear. Mrs. King shook her head, okay, and seconds later, Kodeniˊ stood up and left her daughter and party guests behind and went towards the sliding doors. She opened them and then stepped inside. After shutting the sliding patio door back, she began to walk through the dining room. Kodeniˊ followed the faint sound of Jeremiah's voice. His voice led her toward the kitchen. When she reached the kitchen, she stopped at the entrance. She leaned on one side of the wall and folded her arms. She listened intensely to his conversation. Jeremiah stood across the room with his back facing her. He continued his discussion on the phone; he had no idea she was standing in the room.

Kodeniˊ quietly listened to him continue his conversation on the phone.

As she listened intensely, her blood began to boil. She couldn't believe that Jeremiah had agreed to pack up and leave for the airport tonight. As he wrapped up the conversation, Kodeniˊ cleared her throat loudly. Jeremiah hung up the phone. 'fuck!', he mouthed before slowly turning around toward his wife. He closed his eyes for a second as he inhaled and then slowly exhaled. Jeremiah slowly reopened his eyes, preparing himself for his wife's disapproval. He looked across the room at her; she met his stare back with an evil glare.

He averted his eyes from her and looked down at the floor. He leaned against the wall and looked back at her as he casually shoved his hands into his pockets. "So how long you gon' stand there with an attitude and ya' arms folded?" he asked.

She didn't answer him. She just continued to stare at him.

The silence in the kitchen at that moment was thick. Kodeni' still didn't answer. After a few moments of continuous silence, he chuckled and began to walk toward her. Instead of stopping in front of her, he walked passed her and headed up the back stairway located in the kitchen and started heading toward upstairs.

Oh, so he wanna play this game, she thought to herself. A few minutes later, Kodeni followed behind him. She'd been letting him slide all day, but this time he wasn't. By the time Kodeniˊ had entered the room, her husband had already had his black duffel bag out and was loading it up with clothes. Jeremiah looked over to see his wife standing by the doorway; he smirked and continued with what he was doing. Figuring the only way she was going to get him to talk was if she initiated the conversation, she opened her mouth and began to speak. "So you just gon' leave?" she asked.

"I have no choice, you know that," he said as he continued to pack his bag.

"It's your daughter's birthday." she reminded in a dour tone.

"Don't you think I know that?" he questioned sarcastically.

"Call it off," she demanded.

Jeremiah gave her a glowering look. "You know I can't do that." he vaguely said.

"Why are you always choosing this shit over us?" she asked. Her question wasn't suggested as a question but more like a statement. She really wanted to know the answer. At this point, her blood was boiling, and she could feel tears forming.

In a hostile tone, he responded, "I'm not choosing anything over anyone."

"Yes, you do," she said matter-factly. "You always do. Going away for days, weeks, even months at a time!" she yelled. "Leaving your daughter and me to worry about if you're safe or not!" she continued. "Do you even love us?" she questioned.

Jeremiah quickly moved closer to her. Rage filled his eyes. He was now directly in her face. "Don't you ever question my love for you or my daughter again," he warned sternly as he moved. "Besides, I don't hear you sayin' shit when you got expensive ass diamonds around ya' neck and thousand dollar bags around your wrist."

Kodeniˊ blankly stared at her husband. His cocky statement made her eyes bulge. Kodeniˊ scoffed. "How could you speak to me like that?" she asked.

Jeremiah took a deep breath as his hand brushed over his head. "I'm sorry, ma." he apologized. "I've just been stressin'," Jeremiah admitted. "It's some major shit that might go down tonight, and I just can't shake this bad feeling." he confided.

Kodeniˊ walked over to her husband and wrapped her arms around him as comfort. "Then don't go, baby," she suggested. "Stay home with us. We need you." she pleaded.

Jeremiah grabbed hold of his wife's hand, raised it to his mouth, placed a gentle kiss to it, and looked her in the eyes. "You know it ain't that easy, ma," he said. "If I could, I would stay in a heartbeat."

"I know." she quietly agreed as she enjoyed his soft kisses. Before long, they were caught in the moment, and their lips were tied. After another quick kiss, she leaned away and faintly smiled. "Have you ever thought about quitting?" she asked as she twisted his hair around in her fingers.

"Yeah, someday," he admitted. "Why?"

Kodeniˊ hesitated but decided to spit it out. She looked away and inhaled deeply. Gathering the courage, she looked up and into Jeremiah's eyes and smiled. "I'm pregnant," she admitted.

He inhaled and exhaled loudly. "Are you sure?" he cautiously asked.

"Yes," she said, assured him. "And I think it's time for you to walk away. I mean, we had a good run while it lasted, and we got enough money to set us straight for years," she said as a smile spread across her face. "Let's just start over," she suggested. The smile she had on her face disappeared when she noticed the disapproving look on her husband's face. She watched as he shook his head back and forth no. "What do you mean, no?" she asked.

Another child was definitely something Jeremiah wasn't ready for. He was nothing but in his early 20's and had already had about 6 kids, and that's just the ones he knew about, not to mention the unborn one by Indi, and now this? Jeremiah took a deep breath. Jeremiah's hand brushed over his head. as he looked Kodeni in the face, he searched for words. "I don't think we should keep it." he faintly said.

Kodeniˊ stared straight into his eyes as she leaned away from him. "What do you mean we shouldn't keep it?" she asked. "Are you suggesting abortion?" she awkwardly laughed.

Without a second thought, he nonchalantly said, "Yeah." The tears Kodi had been pushing back were now starting to fall. His answer felt like a hit to the chest. "Think about it, ma," he began as she pulled away from him. "The block is hot, and Lay just turned three. Not to mention all the other kids I have. Do you really think it's smart to bring another child into this world?" he asked. "Layla's a handful already, and she's not even five yet." He said. "Do you really think you can handle another one running 'round here?" he asked.

Kodeni wasn't tryna hear none of that. Disregarding his question Kodeniˊ went off. "It's cool for all these other bitches to have more than one child by you," she pointed out. "but me, on the other hand, all I get is one, and I'm your wife!" she yelled.

With confusion evident in his voice, he asked, "What the hell are you talking about?"

"You know exactly what the hell I'm talking about!" she yelled. "What, you think I wasn't aware of Indi and the baby?" she asked. Before he could answer, she continued. "When were you gon' tell me?" she questioned. "The block talks to baby, or did you forget?" she repeated after him.

"You trippin'," he replied nonchalantly as a deadpan look resonated throughout his face. He shook his head in disapproval. "We'll talk when I get back," he assured in a tone that ended the conversation. He walked away from Kodeniˊ and moved back to the suitcase that awaited him on the bed. He zipped it up and then brushed passed his wife.

"I hate you!" she screamed as she followed behind him.

Jeremiah stopped walking and dropped the suitcase to his side. He turned around and slowly walked back toward her. Kodeni stood still as she watched his every move like a hawk, anticipating what he'd do next. Jeremiah walked closer to his wife and brought her face closer to his. They were now standing face to face with each other. He raised his hands and gently cupped both sides of her face. He lifted her head and gave her soft lips a kiss. He looked her in the eyes and said, "I love you." It was softly spoken. Only loud enough for the two to hear. The words caused tears to fall even harder from her eyes. He wiped a lone tear that fell from her eye and then let go of her cheeks. Jeremiah could feel himself choking up to, but he remained 'G like.' He turned back around and was met with the appearance of his little girl. He began to head back toward her and the suitcase. Layla looked up to her daddy and showcased a gap-tooth smile. "China-Doll, hey." Jeremiah greeted awkwardly. "Did you like your gifts?" he asked.

"Yes, daddy," she answered. "Where are you goin'?"

Jeremiah bent down so that he and his daughter were face to face. "Daddy has to leave," he answered. "But I'll be back tomorrow."

"Are you sure?" she asked. " 'cause 'member you said we were goin' to go to the skyline." she reminded as she referred to the John Hancock Building.

"Have I ever told you that you were smart?" he asked jokingly. They both laughed.

"Yeah, daddy, will you be back tomorrow?" Kodeniˊ asked sarcastically.

He stopped smiling and looked away from his daughter. Jeremiah looked over his shoulder and back at his wife with a stare that warned her to cut it out. "Chill." he mouthed toward her. Kodeniˊ rolled her eyes and folded her arms. He turned back to his daughter and smiled. "I promise China-Doll." Layla had a sullen look on her face. "What's wrong, China-Doll?"

"I don't want you to leave daddy," she answered as she gave him puppy dog eyes and twisted her body from side to side. "I want you to stay here with mommy and me."

Jeremiah sighed. Tears still threatened to fall from his eyes, but he continued to push them back. Pain filled Jeremiah's chest as he let the words his little girl said resonate throughout his head. "Damn," he whispered, now understanding why his wife didn't want him to leave. Finding the words to speak, he said, "China-Doll we've talked about this." he reminded. "Daddy has to go, but I promise that when I get back, we gon' have some daddy-daughter time."

"Really?" she questioned.

"Yeah," he answered.

"Mommy, too?" she questioned.

Jeremiah chuckled. He shook his head, yes. "Even mommy, too," he repeated. He kissed the top of Layla's head. He stood up and picked his daughter up and placed her on his hip. He then picked up his duffle bag and headed downstairs. Kodeni silently followed behind them. They headed back outside to the party. Jeremiah said his goodbyes and thanked everyone for showing up. Even though he had already announced his goodbyes, he tried to linger around a bit. There was a sickening feeling in his stomach. Something wasn't right. Jeremiah loved his family, and he wanted nothing more than to be with them right now, but if he didn't make money, then who would?

Kodeni, Layla, Jeremiah, and his bodyguards all exited the side gate of the backyard and headed to the front yard. Out front awaited a car with a driver. Jeremiah handed his bags over to Phalme, his longtime bodyguard. Kodeni waited patiently as she watched her husband walk towards her. "Well, this is it," he said. "Anything you wanna say before I go?" he asked. Kodeni shifted her weight from one side to another. She crossed her arms and rolled her eyes. She sighed loudly. "What ma, what now?" he asked, irritation clear in his voice.

"You shouldn't have told her you'd be back tomorrow, now she's gonna be looking for you," she said. "What am I supposed to tell her now?" she asked.

"What was I supposed to say, Kodeni?" he asked.

"Uh, the truth Jeremiah," she answered. Kodeni sighed. "How long are you gonna be gone, Jeremiah?"

"A week tops," he answered.

Kodeni's demeanor changed. The atmosphere around the two went from hostile to calm. She moved in front of him and began to fiddle with his shirt. "Ima miss you," she said sweetly as she brushed a piece of lint of his shirt.

"Ima miss you too, ma," he told her as he pulled her in for a hug. Their arms wrapped around each other. They looked at one another. "You behind me, right?" he asked.

Kodeni looked her husband in his brown eyes and replied, "Always and forever."

They exchanged a few kisses before the sound of their daughter's screams, jarred them from their trance. They looked over to her and saw that it was nothing serious. They smiled as they watched her play with her Godfather, Phlames. Kodeni and Jeremiah moved away from each other and focused their attention on Layla. Jeremiah moved away from his wife and walked toward his daughter. Phlames stopped tickling her and moved away so that father and daughter could have some alone time.

Jeremiah reached into his pocket and pulled out a crisp five-dollar bill. He pulled his pants up and crotched down in front of his daughter and handed it to her. Layla smiled and took the money and placed it in her pocket. She gave her father a kiss on the cheek and a big hug. Jeremiah cherished it and hugged her tight and placed a quick kiss to her head. They let go of each other, and Jeremiah gave his daughter one last glance over. "Now you remember what I said, China-Doll," he began as he stood up. "When I get back-"

"It's gon' be me and you." she finished his sentence.

Jeremiah chuckled and gave her a thumbs up. He started walking toward the car that awaited him. Before disappearing into the car, Jeremiah turned around one last time and said something to his daughter. He called out to her, but when she didn't answer, he followed her gaze. To their right and not far down the middle of the street sat a red, 1992 Ford Explorer. Knowing that they had his attention, the driver flashed the headlights as if they were saying hello to him. "Kodi grab-" before he could get the rest of his wife's name out, the car jerked forward and aggressively headed toward them. A person popped out of the sunroof.

Pop, Pop, Pop!

The person in the red truck sent shots flying their way. Jeremiah pushed his daughter to the ground and shielded her. Phlames ran over and covered Kodeni' while Jeremiah's other bodyguard pulled out his pistol and sent shots firing back at them. As the car went past them, it sped up, and the shots increased.

Rat tat......tat.

Gunfire exchanged for what felt like over five minutes, but it wasn't. They left just as fast as they came, but the damage they caused would bruise and scar forever. Once everything settled, Kodeni pushed Phlames off of her and rushed toward Jeremiah and Layla. Kodeni was scared. "Jeremiah, Layla," she called out hysterically as she crouched beside them. She touched and lightly shook Jeremiah. Kodeni leaned forward a little bit more but paused when she saw blood coming from Jeremiah's body. "Oh my god!" she yelled as she saw the blood slowly leak from under them. "Phlames!" she called out. He rushed over and helped her move Jeremiah off of Layla. Layla whimpered. "Oh my god, baby," Kodeni said as she pulled her daughter in closer and hugged her tightly. Kodeni leaned her back a little and examined her body. "Are you okay?" she asked hysterically as she checked her daughter out. Layla was still in shock, so she didn't answer. Kodeni pulled her back in and hugged her tightly. Tears fell from Layla's eyes as she saw her dad lay behind her mom. She knew he didn't look right; something seemed off. She saw him cough up blood and screamed. Kodeni turned her away from him.

By this point, Kodeni had picked Layla up and rocked her from side to side as tears fell from her own eyes uncontrollably. Jeremiah's other bodyguard grabbed Layla from Kodeni and led her away from the scene. Kodeni rushed to her husband's side. Everything was happening so fast. This was not how this day was supposed to end. Kodeni dropped to her knees. She hesitated for a moment to even touch him. She sobbed uncontrollably as she saw the wounds on his body. His now all-white outfit was red in the front.

By now, the crowd from the party made their way up front and was in shock. They gasped as they watched the scene in front of them. Neighbors also gathered and watched in disbelief. They watched as Jeremiah lay on his back, bleeding out. Not knowing if he was alive or not.

"Oh my god." Grandma King yelled as she emerged from the crowd. Her heart felt like it was about to stop. She dropped to her knees beside her son. "Somebody call 9-11 and get all the kids out of here," she yelled to the crowd.

No one moved.

"Can somebody please call fucking 9-1-1?" Kodeni desperately pleaded. This time someone pulled out their phone and dialed for emergency services. "Baby, can you hear me?" she asked.

It took a minute, but he finally mustered up the strength to respond. "I can hear you shorty." he faintly said. "I'm fine. Just go tend to my kids," he told her. "Get my kid's outta here, mama. I don't want them seeing me like this. This can't be the last image they see of me." Jeremiah began to drift in and out of consciousness. Coming back to it, he heard his daughter call out to him. "Baby girl," Jeremiah called out. He slowly turned his head toward her. "Sweetheart, don't cry, daddy will be fine, okay?" he told her. Even though he knew that he wasn't gonna be okay. Layla shook her head okay and then placed a kiss to his forehead.

"Can I come too?" she asked.

"Nah, baby girl." He responded. "Where I'm going, you can't go just yet." He grunted in pain. He knew that his time was coming. "Promise me something, baby girl?" he asked.

"Promise what daddy?" she asked innocently.

By this point, it was painful for him to speak, but he still mustered up the strength to speak. "I know you don't know what any of this means right now, but promise daddy you gon make something of yourself. You gon be smart in whatever it is that you decide to do. That you put family first. Never apologize, be smart, own a hustle, be fearless, and be the best woman you can be. Just know that I' ma always be by your side." He raised his hand out but couldn't really lift it. Seeing this, Kodeni grabbed Layla's hand and placed it on top of his.

He was fading, and Kodeni could see that. "Layla tell your daddy you love him," she told him through broken whimpers.

"Okay, daddy, I promise," Layla said. "I love you, daddy," she told him for the last time.

"I love you too, Layla," he said to her. He then looked over to his wife. "You so beautiful." He complimented. Those words made Kodeni break down. "I love you, Kodeni. I'll always love you, and I'll be waiting for you on the other side," he told her.

A smile spread across Kodeni face as she soaked in his final words for her. "I love you too, Jeremiah."

He then called out to his mama. "I love you, mama," he told her, his voice cracking and giving out. "Make sure my kids are straight, both of you, and tell them I love them, and I'ma always be there for them." He said. "I want you to be the one to tell them and explain to them and to make sure they stay close-knit."

Mrs. King shook her head, okay as silent tears fell from her eyes. "I love you to Jeremiah."

He smiled. "I'll tell daddy you said wassup," he told his mother. The joke caused Mrs. King to laugh. A few minutes later, Jeremiah's smile faded, and his eyes closed. It was official. Layla, Kodeni, and Mrs. King had just witnessed Jeremiah take his last breath.

Jeremiah Darnell King had passed away in the front yard of his own residence. The three most important women in his life now sat beside his lifeless body. No one from the crowd touched the family or crowded them as they waited for 9-1-1 to arrive. The only thing they could do was watch in silence as the one man who everyone thought of as 'untouchable' lay there lifeless on the front lawn.

*Note only posting new characters mentioned in this chapter* *Old characters you can go to previous chapters & look at*

Characters in this chapter 

Phlames pronounced as Flames  (Bodygaurd & Layla God-father)

bodyguard 2

Indi 

Monroe (younger her, age 4)

Taisa (oldest daughter, age 10) 

Jeremiah Jr. (8 yrs old)

Twins: 

the King house

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

122K 5.9K 47
[COMPLETE] Nadine and Braxton were not supposed to meet, or ever cross paths. Their worlds were different, yet connected at the same time. But now t...
694K 15.8K 42
19 Year Old Nina Is Fresh Out Of High School, On Her Way To College To Get Her Associate's Degrees She Only Have Her Grandad Who Is Fighting Lung Can...
8.4K 301 25
*PLEASE COMMENT AND VOTE* Simone is another victim of the system who ran from foster home to foster home, due to the mistakes of her mother and fathe...
24.3K 1K 47
As Twenty year Old Diamond Baker Enter A New World Of Work, Family, Friends, Adult Hood, And This Thing Called "Love". She Has To Manage To Keep Her...