Duty

By the_hooded_girl

If you had to choose between love and duty, what would you do? Vara is a lucky girl. Adopted into the king's... More

Duty - Dramatis Personae
//
Prologue
Chapter 1 Duty comes first
Chapter 2 Debts of honor
Chapter 3 Peacocks and birds of prey
Chapter 4 Masquerade
Chapter 5 Misery loves company
Chapter 6 Negotiations
Chapter 7 Thick as thieves
Chapter 8 You won't be mine
Chapter 9 House of cards
Chapter 10 As common as they get
Chapter 11 A touch of steel
Chapter 12 Brother in law
Chapter 13 Queen in waiting
Chapter 14 Down to earth
Chapter 15 Heart to heart
Chapter 16 Wedding bells
Chapter 17 Hidden motive
Chapter 18 next best thing
Chapter 19 To have and to hold
Chapter 20 Ophelia
Chapter 21 Everybody cries at weddings
Chapter 22 Illusions
Chapter 23 Parting is such sweet sorrow
Chapter 25 Into the deep
Chapter 26 Nights in the desert
Chapter 27 Trial and error
Chapter 28 Husbands and wives
Chapter 29 Home sweet home
Chapter 30 Private conversations
Chapter 31 First in line
Chapter 32 Impressions
Chapter 33 Casualties of war
Chapter 34 To be a queen
Chapter 35 Between love and duty
Chapter 36 The chosen one
Chapter 37 Betrothed
Chapter 38 A game of charades
Chapter 39 Dark shadows
Chapter 40 The willful child
Chapter 41 King Darius
Chapter 42 Family
Chapter 43 The king's daughter
Chapter 44 A child changes everything
Chapter 45 Boncini
Chapter 46 Life and death
Chapter 47 The truth behind the lie
Chapter 48 Beginnings
Chapter 49 Love and War
Chapter 50 Home sweet home
Chapter 51 Baby steps
Chapter 52 Vipers
Chapter 53 Ardashir
Chapter 54 Growing Pains
Chapter 55 Jasmine
Chapter 56 Shadows of the past
Chapter 57 Time and distance
Chapter 58 Retaliations
Chapter 59 Every waking moment
Chapter 60 Between two fires
Chapter 61 Nightwake
Chapter 62 Eye of the beholder
Chapter 63 Never the same
Chapter 64 The art of the game
Chapter 65 Trust
Chapter 66 A little bird told me
Chapter 67 Informants
Chapter 68 Hunting Grounds
Chapter 69 Birds in flight
Chapter 70 Whispers in the wind
Chapter 71 Closing the net
Chapter 72 Strike back
Chapter 73 Family and other foes
Chapter 74 The one you trust
Chapter 75 The eye of the storm
Chapter 76 War Council
Chapter 77 What comes around
Chapter 78 Side by side
Chapter 79 Brothers in arms
Chapter 80 Casualties of war
Chapter 81 A price to pay
Chapter 82 With or without you
Chapter 83 Until you lose it
Chapter 84 The comfort of home
Chapter 85 The love we take for granted
Chapter 86 For better or for worse
Chapter 87 Peace and quiet
Chapter 88 What's left behind
Chapter 89 Boys will be boys
Chapter 90 New beginnings
Chapter 91 A crown's weight
Chapter 92 Fathers and sons
Chapter 93 Where you belong
Chapter 94 Pretenders
Chapter 95 Long live the king
Chapter 96 The way home

Chapter 24 Sons and daughters

816 55 17
By the_hooded_girl

"When are they arriving again?" the old king turned towards his son who stood at the window. The hot morning breeze toyed with the prince's hair and the sun gave his face a copper glow. Eyes cold as stone and a straight posture, he was every bit a prince. A suitable heir to the throne.

Darius dropped the curtain. "Tomorrow, father. I told you this."

King Xerex wetted his lips and continued as if he had not noticed his son's annoyance. "What is your opinion on the man, this... prince Cyrus?"

Darius turned and paced the room. In his bed, his father was watching him patiently.

"I had Torcan test his swordsmanship. He is a good fighter, a capable man."

"Yet you do not seem pleased," king Xerex noted.

Darius gritted his teeth. "The man hungers after another woman."

King Xerex shrugged. "He is a man. It is only natural he has an interest in women."

"He is making a mockery of us!" Darius yelled, "he married a princess of Tireze! He shouldn't be bedding other women!"

An amused smile appeared on king Xerex' lips. "How is bedding other women mocking us? Prince Cyrus and Ariane are wed. The marriage was consumed. It is official. I know the laws of Zeir well, Darius. Even if prince Cyrus beds other women and a child is born, it would not matter. In Zeir, children born out of wedlock cannot inherit. And if Ariane can't conceive, any child born to Cyrus by another woman will become Ariane's." He looked at his son. "I wed her off to form an alliance, Darius. We need the support of Zeir. Balor is already eyeing our borders and perhaps now that we have allied with Zeir, we can get the support of Lavos. After prince Cyrus has returned home, we will send emissaries to Tolais."

"And how will that go over with king Marcos?" Darius asked.

"An alliance with Lavos will not interfere with our agreement with Zeir. The two have no conflict. It might even benefit them."

Darius did not look convinced. "And what will you offer them you haven't already offered king Marcos? You have no more children to wed off, father."

King Xerex smiled amused. "There is always something, son. Perhaps a new wife for you, one that will actually bear you sons." He waved his hand dismissively. "You need an heir, Darius. I want to see grandsons before my time." The king's expression turned serious. "Why are you waiting so long? If that wife of yours can't give you children, find yourself another. Keep the one you have as a concubine if you must, but take a wife that gives you heirs. You need to secure your line, Darius, or we will lose everything we have worked for."

Darius' eyes steeled over. They'd had this conversation before. And he did want heirs. But finding a suitable wife was hard. He didn't have time to busy himself with that. Dealing with one wife was hard enough. His father had many concubines. He didn't even know which one was his mother, or Ariane's for that matter. In Tireze it did not matter who was the mother. It only mattered who was the father.

"I am serious, Darius," king Xerex spoke, "I want a grandson within the year. Find yourself a concubine. Or two."

Darius gritted his teeth. "Yes, father." It was embarrassing enough that there was no child yet. He didn't need his own father to point it out. And Zara had been his father's choice. A princess of one of the nomad tribes. She was a bitter woman, full of spite. She complained about her fate, but at the same time reveled in the status of being married to the heir of Tireze. Dealing with her was a trial. He sighed. "If you excuse me, I have arrangements to make before our guests arrive."

"Remember what I said, Darius," the king warned him, "a kingdom won't survive without sons."

Darius didn't respond. He was already halfway out the door. If his father was so keen on sons, he should have followed his own advice. Instead, one son was all he had been able to produce. One son and one daughter, before he had become impotent.

He knew he needed an heir. He had been trying hard enough. Finding another woman was too much bother at this time. He had other things on his mind. Perhaps when Torcan had returned, he could ask his manservant to find him a woman. Yes, he would leave it to Torcan.

And hopefully his father would be too occupied with Ariane to bother him any further.

***

Teofilus Valerus opened his arms widely to greet his son. The two men embraced each other tightly. "It is good to see you, my son. It has been far too long since you came home to visit. Your mother has almost forgotten she even has a son."

"Shame on you, Teofilus, to say such things!" Phoebe Valerus walked up to them and gave her husband a stern look. "How could I ever forget my own son! Now move aside so I can look at him." She ushered her husband out of the way and took Iolaus' arms. "You look pale. Do you eat enough?"

"More than enough, I would say," Cyrus chuckled as he reached them and slapped Iolaus' shoulder. "Good to see you again, lord Valerus, my lady Phoebe."

"My prince," Teofilus bowed, "we are honored by your presence. Be welcome."

Cyrus nodded and extended his hand to his bride. "My lady wife, the lady Ariane. And her escort, servant of the house Tirzé."

"Well met," Teofilus bowed.

"Come, my lady," Phoebe said, "you must be tired from the journey. I will show you to your temporary quarters where you can refresh yourself. My daughters will assists you."

"Where are Celia and Juliette?" Iolaus asked.

"They are inside, waiting to greet you," his father answered, "come inside the house. We have bread and wine waiting. Dinner and entertainment will be ready after you have refreshed yourselves."

"We thank you for your hospitality," Cyrus said.

"I apologize for not attending the wedding, my prince," Teofilus said once they were inside, "I'm afraid private matters kept us at home."

"I understand," Cyrus said, "there is no need to apologize. The house Valais has always been loyal. We consider your son's presence a representation of your house. I could not wish for better company."

Teofilus smiled. "I am glad."

The entered a large salon where two young women were making a few last arrangements. When the group entered, they looked up and smiled brightly.

"Iolaus!" the eldest called and both ran to greet their brother.

"Little sisters!" Iolaus grinned when holding them close, "how big you have grown. Still no suitors?"

A deep blush appeared on Celia's face and her sister giggled. "Celia's eye has fallen on Aaron from the stable master's home."

"Juliette!" Celia shrieked.

Juliette giggled. "It is true." She looked at Iolaus. "Aaron is a horse trainer. He came to deliver two new horses father had purchased, some months ago. I have never seen Celia so interested in horses before, but she visited the stables twice a day while Aaron was here."

"Juliette," Phoebe spoke sternly, "don't tease your sister. One day you will take a liking to someone too. We approve of Aaron. He is well spoken and will be able to provide for your sister. We will gladly welcome him in our family."

Iolaus laughed. "I am happy for you, little sister, but I will meet this man before the wedding takes place. I have to make sure he'll take good care of you."

Cyrus grinned. "I will make sure Vara invites both your sisters at court very soon."

Juliette perked up. "I would love to visit court."

"Did the lady Vara not come with you?" Celia asked disappointed, "we haven't spoken in so long."

"No," Cyrus answered stiffly, "it is my father's wish that she remain at court while we are away."

"Of course," Celia said, "I understand."

"Celia, Juliette," Phoebe spoke, "why don't you show the lady Ariane where she can refresh herself? Iolaus, you know the way. Please take prince Cyrus and the lady's escort to the east wing. It must have been a long day."

"Of course, mother." Iolaus kissed his mother's cheek and led the others towards the guest wing.

"Please follow us, my lady," Celia curtsied.

Ariane quietly followed after the girls. It seems she had arrived in another lively household. She wasn't sure how to behave, but perhaps with everyone else so loud and lively, no one would notice if she stayed in the background. In time she would learn how to behave. Maybe then she wouldn't feel so out of place anymore. Maybe then she would become the wife her husband deserved.

***

King Marcos let his eyes move over the line of soldiers in the room. Octavius had kept his word and sent some of the men to him so he could find a guard for Vara. There were ten of them. Young and old.

The king studied each of them carefully. He had gathered them all together and instructed the servants to bring in food and wine while he himself observed the men from behind the wall. There were secret passages everywhere in the castle only known by the royal family and their most trusted. Originally they were meant as escape routes, but now king Marcos used them to observe the soldiers. Before he chose one to guard Vara, he wanted to see their true nature.

Some of the younger soldiers had gone straight to the table with refreshments, joking with each other how easy a task it would be to watch the king's protégée, how it would be preferable over fighting at the border.

The king wrote them off. They would not make suitable guards with their indifferent attitude and disrespect. He would make sure they were added to the furthest regiment at the first opportunity.

Two of the older soldiers were eyeing the room they were in with interest, walking around and studying the statues and tapestries.

One of the older men looked at the young troublemakers disapprovingly. Another stood at the wall casually, letting his eyes move over the others.

A young soldier in the corner of the room watched the scene calmly, but was alert, one hand resting near his sword.

King Marcos nodded to himself. He had seen enough. He left his spot in the secret passage and made his way towards the room. When he entered, the soldiers all dropped to one knee. "You, you, you and you," king Marcos waved at the four young soldiers that had not taken the task seriously, "you four can return to the barracks. Report to your captain. He will have some chores for you."

The four men exchanged nervous glances and hurried out of the room. The king turned to the two older soldiers that had been occupied with the decorations. "You two may resume your post. I will not be needing you for this task."

The soldiers bowed and left the room.

King Marcos looked at the four remaining men. One of them would be Vara's personal guard. He needed to test them further.

"As you well know, I am looking for a guard for Vara. You four were recommended to me. I already know you take your duties serious and I have no doubt your skills with the sword are exceptional or your captain would not have sent you here. What I need to know is why you think you are best suitable for this task." He motioned for the oldest of the men to stand. "You, why should I choose you?"

"Your Majesty," the man spoke, "I have retired from the army after many years of service. However, I would very much like to continue carrying out my duties to the realm in any way I can. It would be a great honor to be assigned to the lady Vara."

The king nodded. "Vara is a headstrong young woman. She tends to be impulsive and reckless. How will you ensure you are up to the task?"

The man bowed. "I have children of my own, Your Majesty. I know how they can be. I will respect the lady Vara's position, but I will make sure she doesn't do anything rash. I will keep her from harm and protect her reputation."

The king nodded in thought and looked at the next man. "What about you?"

The man stood up and bowed. "You can trust me to have the lady's best interest at heart, Your Majesty. No harm will come to her on my watch. I will make sure she obeys your wishes."

"And you?" the king asked the third man.

"I will perform my duty to the best of my ability, Your Majesty," the man answered, "I will make sure lady Vara won't get into trouble. I will make her see reason and persuade her not to do anything reckless. I assure you, she will be safe with me."

"And you, young man?" the king turned to the last soldier, the one who had stood on alert.

The young soldier hesitated. "Your Majesty," he said carefully, "I doubt I could persuade the lady Vara to listen to my advice if she truly is as headstrong as you say. Therefor I cannot guarantee I'll be able to keep her out of trouble. All I can promise is to protect her. As well as I can."

An amused smile appeared on the king's lips. It was as if he knew Vara already. Yes, he was certain Vara would attempt to escape her guard. She would be a trial to him. "What is your name, soldier?" he asked.

The man looked up at him and squared his shoulders. "Iason, Your Majesty. My name is Iason."

***

"Your hair is so pretty," Celia smiled as she ran a hand through Ariane's honey colored locks. Her sister Juliette stood behind them, nodding in agreement.

"Celia is really good with hair," she said, "she will put it up for you. Oh Celia, you should use that hair band, the blue one. Don't you think it would look lovely with her hair?"

Celia nodded. "Yes, it will look very beautiful. And I will lend you my earrings. I see you have your ears pierced."

Ariane wasn't sure how to respond. These were Iolaus' sisters, so she assumed they were nobility. Still, they talked as if they were lifelong friends. They had bowed for prince Cyrus, but spoke to him as equals after. It was so strange. She realized she still had a lot to learn. Apparently it wasn't just Vara and Ophelia that acted this way. Still, the servants she had seen in this house were not so familiar with the family as Vara's maid was with her. It was all very confusing.

"Leah, bring the lady Ariane's gown for dinner," Juliette instructed the servant girl who had been standing at the wall.

Leah curtsied and walked over to the large trunk that held Ariane's clothes. It didn't take long for her to return with a light blue dress. "This one, Miss?"

Celia nodded her approval. "Yes, that one will do nicely." She waved Leah towards Ariane to help her change.

"How do you like court, lady Ariane?" Juliette asked curiously, "is it very different from your home?"

Ariane blinked, not used to the casual conversation. "Yes, lady Juliette, it is very different."

"What is Tireze like?" Juliette's interest was spiked, "what did you do all day?"

"Julie!" Celia scolded her sister, "don't be so nosy."

"Aw, but I want to know!"

Ariane barely heard the sisters' banter. Did Juliette believe her life had been exciting in Tireze? Most of the day consisted of needlework, etiquettes, music. There were days when her father insisted on her presence, even rarer days where she would visit the marked, accompanied by many servants to keep the sun from burning her skin, and twice as many guards to make sure no one would come near her. The days had been long and boring.

"What..." Ariane said hesitantly, "what is it that you do all day?"

"Us?" Juliette asked surprised, "we hardly do anything interesting. We mostly help mother steer the household."

"Steer the household?" Ariane asked.

Celia nodded. "Instruct the servants, keep an eye on our stock, make sure the widows in the village get their share of the food from the kitchen."

"And Celia takes care of our herb garden," Juliette added.

"It's hardly worth mentioning," Celia said shyly.

"Don't be modest, Celia," Juliette said, "everyone compliments it."

"Well then," Celia turned to Ariane, "then I should tell you Juliette draws. She does beautiful landscapes. They sell well in the market."

"They are just some sketches," Juliette blushed, "I can't imagine why anyone would want them."

"Don't listen to her," Celia said, "I will make her show you a few before you depart tomorrow."

Ariane gave a nod, not sure how to respond.

"But until then," Juliette said, "we have a dinner to sit through. And after that, I want to know all about you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

746K 22.6K 40
• BOOK 1 IN MEANT TO BE SERIES • • COMPLETED • • STANDALONE • ~ "I was never yours." I retorted angrily. "Oh sweetheart. You were always min...
34.9K 865 52
A high trained Assassin is betrayed by her former lover, also known as the Royal's Son. The story takes place in Elisora, known for it's dark secrets...
6.3K 171 36
A spoiled elvish princess in love with a lowly soldier. Unfortunately (well, fortunately. But don't tell her that) she will come to realize her life...
80.1K 3.9K 52
Have you ever thought that you would go back in time? Especially, 1000 years ago? Have you ever thought you would fall in love with a person there? ...