The Light of Elysium

By MayaR-31

Book 1 (complete) - Veterinary student Elle wants to travel, but she doesn't plan on getting pulled into a ma... More

Author's note
Prologue
1 - Dreams
2 - The Journey Begins
3 - Not in Kansas anymore
4 - Kingdom under the Mountains
5 - No way home
6 - A New Partnership
7 - A dark encounter
8 - Did someone yell for a hero
9 - Down by the lake
10 - Dance of the sun and the moon
11 - The Rainbow Isles
12 - Queen's Conquest
13 - Lammas Festival
14 - Lord of the Emerald Isle
15 - Ill met by Moonlight
17 - Amongst the trees
18 - Equinox
19 - Capture
20 - Lord Nero
21 - Glimmer in the dark
22 - My sweet
#31CreepyWords
23 - Leap of Faith
24 - Flight
25 - White Water
26 - Fearful symmetry
27 - Company of wolves
28 - Falling
29 - Arcadia
30 - A new dawn
31 - Mr Sullen, Mr Mischief & Mr Silent
32 - Green does not become you
33 - Battlelines
34 - Storm
35 - The wild hunt
36 - Temptation
37 - Whiplash
38 - The Chase
39 - The white knight
40 - Mid-Winter Ball
41 - Promises
42 - The Prophecy
43 - The element of air
44 - Home is where the heart is
45 - Destiny calling
46 - Icarus
47 - Journey by night
48 - A face from the past
49 - Aldebaran
50 - Trial of the White Queen
51 - Sleep, perchance to dream
52 - Lair of the Dark King
53 - Dark dreams
54 - Dark games
55 - Winter's embrace
56 - The Ice Queen and the King of Sin
57 - Politics
58 - A truth uncovered
59 - Back from the edge
60 - Muse
61 - Quandary
62 - Night under the stars
63 - Bound in blood
64 - A rolling stone
65 - Waiting for a hero
66 - Pride and Prejudice
67 - Sensibility
68 - Bedouin Night
69 - Flashpoint
70 - Reunion
71 - Denial
72 - Dreams
73 - A fire kindled
74 - Touched by a Goddess
75 - Ostara
76 - The fire within
77 - Options
78 - An inescapable fate
79 - Point of no return
80 - Bereft
81 - Journey's end
Characters/Cast List
The Queen of Elysium - sneak peek

16 - Agape

8.3K 535 138
By MayaR-31

(Elissa's PoV)

Tossing and turning, I struggle to sleep. Suddenly I feel the presence of another in my room and sit up, clutching the covers to my chest. The old man with the golden yellow eyes is sat in a chair not far from the bed. He smiles benevolently.

Despite sensing that he is not a threat, I demand, "What are you doing in my room?"

"I need to speak with you, Elissa. You cannot remain in these Isles. Heed me! You must continue your journey."

I don't intend to stay here, however, don't like being told what to do, so challenge him, "Why?"

"You need to fulfil your quest to uncover the Light of Elysium. That you will not do here."

"What is this light?"

"That is for you to discover," he responds enigmatically.

Right. Great help. Trying not to snap at him, I ask, "Can you at least tell me where I might find it?"

"Go back to where it all started."

Not this again.

......

Blinking, the man vanishes and the room is bathed in sunlight. I am not aware of actually having been asleep, but it is morning. I am uncertain whether it was real or just a dream.

We are to leave the Rainbow Isle today and I am beset with an unusual bout of melancholy. While it has been fascinating to visit the different islands, I have worked out that I have been in Elysium for about eleven or twelve weeks. That makes it early September back home.

Darish enters the room carrying my dragon cup and the scent of orange and cinnamon wafts towards me.

"What troubles you?" Darish asks. He talks a lot less than Zane, but is far the more perceptive of the two.

"I was just thinking about my old life. By rights, I should be preparing to start my third year at University. But that is a world away, literally." I sigh deeply. "I just wish that I could let my friends know that I'm alright."

Darish looks at me. He has such soulful eyes and right now they are full of empathy. He pauses, considering what to say before offering me comfort, "Should you ever wish to converse, I will always be here to listen."

He and Zane have come to mean so much to me. I am resigned to making Elysium my new home and am so lucky to have them. My biggest fear is being alone.

Old memories surge to the surface. My twelve year old self in the big sterile hospital finding out that my parents were dead. Even now my stomach curdles with the remembered scent of disinfectant. While I had suffered nothing more than a little smoke inhalation, they had to dig mum and dad's charred remains out of what had been our home. I never got to see their bodies or properly say goodbye.

"But will you? Everything I have ever loved has been ripped away from me." My throat becomes clogged and I can't see properly through a film of unshed tears. "I'm scared Darish. What if I lose you and Zane too?"

"I will always be here for you Elissa," he insists.

Darish wraps his arms around me and holds me tightly as I breakdown. I feel safe, like a boat in a harbour while the storm rages at sea.

I pull back and notice the wet patch on his shoulder. "I'm sorry I've made a mess of your shirt."

He shrugs. "It can be washed."

.....

We mount Roth and it is with heavy heart that I wave goodbye to the Ruby Isle; our final stop, or so I thought. Suspiciously, rather than descending to the realm below, Roth flies over several of the floating islands.

"Where are we going?" I ask.

"I promised Laurel that I would see her before we leave. I hope that is alright," Zane responds.

As soon as we land in the grounds of the Manor, Oren approaches and asks if he may speak with me in private. We take a walk in the gardens and I have a horrible suspicion that I know where this conversation is going, yet I am helpless to stop it unfolding.

We stop at the fountain again. Oren clears his throat and begins. "Elissa, I admire you greatly and would like the opportunity to court you. I know that you are not yet twenty-one, but perhaps you and your guardians could remain as our guests at the Manor?"

"I'm really sorry Oren, but I cannot stay here." I have to look away, unable to meet the disappointment in his face. "I am not ready to settle down."

We walk back to where Zane, Darish and an expectant looking Laurel are standing.

Zane nudges Laurel towards Oren. "Attend to your brother, I need to see to my ward. I will meet with you later."

Zane put an arm around me. "What is wrong little one?"

"He wants to court me and has asked me to stay on the Emerald Isle."

"Would that be so bad? He can provide you a more stable life than we can."

"But I don't love him," I protest.

"Do you think that you could learn to love him, with time?"

"I don't know. But I am not willing to take the risk and he deserves better."

Darish sighs and gallantly offers, "If you would like to remain here, then I will stay with you as long as you need. Or we could go to the Amethyst Isle. It was an honour that the Priestess offered you a place of study there."

The words of the old man, with the golden yellow eyes, come back. Maybe it wasn't a dream after all. "Have either of you heard of the Light of Elysium?"

Zane shakes his head.

Darish cocks his head in thought. "The Light of Elysium? I know the name. I am sure that it is important, yet I cannot quite place it."

"The unicorn told me that I have to find it, but I have no idea what it is or where to look. If it is alright with you I would like to continue travelling with you."

"If it would please you, I would be honoured to show you the forest of my birth. The autumn equinox is approaching and 'tis one of the most important festivals to wood elves," Darish suggests.

"I would love that." I turn to Zane. "Can we go, pretty please?"

Zane ruffles my hair. "Of course, little one."

...........

Across the land, the head of the royal guard bows before the High King, who is sat resplendent in an ancient wooden chair.

The king waves his hand. "Proceed, Garrett."

"Sire, do you recall the report of the girl who appeared on the summer solstice?" At the king's nod, he resumes, "Today, she told her companions that she seeks the Light of Elysium."

The king's hand tightens on the carved armrest and his golden-yellow eyes blaze. The Light, an orb of immense power, held by his forefathers. His birthright, but lost to him for too many solars.

Pausing for a moment, Garrett continues, "The Lord of the Emerald Isle seeks to court the girl."

"He wishes a union with a child?" the king asks, his brow crinkling in distaste. "Are they so short of eligible maidens?"

With a hint of a smile, Garrett corrects, "Sire, at twenty solars, she is almost of age."

"Does she have the makings of a great mage?"

"I have not observed outward signs of great magic, however..." he opens a book and flicks through several pages before reading out, "on the nineteenth day of the Reaper's moon, she entered the circle of the sacred trees, unharmed."

"The guardians allowed this? Let me see."

Moving over to the giant ornate mirror on the wall, the king waves his hand and the mirror starts to shimmer; the surface moving like liquid metal before settling on a life sized image of Elissa surrounded by blue butterflies.

When she opens her eyes, the king is mightily relieved that they are green and not yellow. He mentally chides himself for his momentary concern, for of course it is ridiculous for a female to be a contender for Guardian of the Light.

Studying her, he wonders if the paleness of her hair hints at elven heritage.

"What do we know of her ancestry?"

"Very little, my king. She claims to be from another realm, brought here by the unicorn. The Watcher can find no sign of her before this, although he is being somewhat difficult and insists that we should no longer be concerned with her. I know not if this is true or whether he seeks to protect her for some reason."

The king sighs. The Watcher can be trying. He does not recognise his duties to his king and instead claims to serve Elysium.

"I would ask you to keep a close eye on her, but..." his eyes fall to the book, "... it would seem that you have already anticipated my need."

He turns back to the mirror. She appears an innocent, however that does not mean that she is not a threat. "I want her questioned." He presses a finger to his lip in thought. "Oren is Rowan's brother, correct? I think it is time she took a trip back home. You can accompany her."

"Sire, if I may interject. The girl turned Lord Oren down. Her companions intend to visit the wood elf's home. It is not far from the borders of Lord Nero's land."

The king smiles and rubs his hands. "Excellent."

-------------------------------------------

AN - Casting for the High King is the Dorian Grey of music, Jared Leto
Watch out Elissa!! He has his golden eyes on you.

The song is Agape by Bears Den. Agape means the highest form of love. The words seem to chime with several of the characters - scared to lose someone they love: Darish - unintentionally letting someone into his heart (non-romantically); Elissa - losing everyone she has loved before; and poor smitten Oren.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

653K 43.1K 49
[Exciting news! This story is now 100% free!] A young sorceress, sworn to protect life at all costs, must choose whether to sacrifice her humanity or...
218K 12.4K 32
In the supernatural world there are just three rules you must never break - never be different - never be weak - and never ever be a threat I...
307 20 24
When Phoebe is woken up by James, the boy she's been crushing on since she can remember, she's surprised to find him in a panic. His sister Kara is m...
19.7K 1K 32
Book 3 - Elissa got her happy ever after and the realm has enjoyed twenty five solars of prosperity. Now it is time for the heirs of Elysium to have...