The Soldier's Hostage

By SilverJuniper

"What is the appeal in being bound?" I looked up at Arthur in surprise, flushing darkly. I looked back into... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Fourteen

764 44 5
By SilverJuniper

I did my best to learn what I could about Arthur. He certainly didn't make it easy. The TV tended to take up his attention most of the time. Any attempt to talk over meals was a complete flop. It didn't matter the topic, he just didn't want to open up. Add onto that the fact that he didn't talk much, even to the rest of his family, and I was beginning to feel I would never make any progress.

I was going to need some outside help.

I had to stare at the door for a minute before I could work up the courage to go through it on my own. Especially since I hadn't asked Arthur's permission before he had left for work. I grit my teeth and forced myself through the door. Then I winced when it clicked loudly behind me. But no one rained down punishment or started yelling. There was no one even around.

I swallowed and started for the elevator. I could see the lights that indicated it was moving and lost my nerve. I ducked into the stairwell instead, using those to climb up to Katty's floor. I had to hesitate outside her door as well, then I took in a steadying breath and walked through it.

I slipped inside and towards the living room where I could hear a movie playing. I found Max, Katty and Jason all staring at me curiously when I came around the corner. I bobbed my head in greeting. "Hello."

Max shifted from his place next to the two Vampires. "Hey Tucker. What's going on?" He got to his feet, suddenly looking a little embarrassed when I stared at their comfortable closeness. Particularly between him and Jason.

I shook my head, shaking off the feeling that there was more going on here. "I need a little advice is all."

Jason grinned and lounged back comfortably. "We're pretty good at that. Unless you're looking for just Max." He reached out and brushed his fingers through Max's. Max jerked his hand away and took a quick step out of reach. Jason sighed and got to his feet, heading for the bedroom. Katty chuckled and tugged at his sleeve as he passed, asking him if he wanted some comfort. Jason smirked and nodded.

Katty hopped to her feet as Jason disappeared and smiled at me. "You two talk. I'll go take care of Jason."

I fidgeted. "Actually, I was hoping I could talk to you." Both of them blinked in surprise. Then Max cocked his head curiously.

"Need me to stick around for moral support?" I shook my head and he turned to Katty. "Then I guess you two talk. I'll go take care of Jason." Katty nodded and Max shot me a guilty look as he disappeared after Jason.

I could only stare after my friend in confusion. That had really settled it in my mind. There was something going on between Max and Jason. And if Katty's familiarity with Jason and ease with the two of them was any indication, she was in on it too. Which didn't really surprise me. I had suspected Max of liking both men and women. But he had always hidden it. Just like Jake had hidden the fact that he liked men. I wasn't quite sure why, unless they were afraid of what the others and I would think of them.

Katty turned to me with a smile, distracting me from those confusing thoughts and redirecting me towards my previous confusing thoughts. "Have a seat. Want anything to eat or drink?"

I shook my head as I came around the couch and took a seat. "No. Thank you." I waited for her to get comfortable and then got right to the point. "I was hoping you could help me out and get Arthur to talk to me."

She raised an eyebrow.

I licked my lips and decided that wasn't a no just yet. "He won't talk about himself. He'll talk about anything and everything, except what I actually want to know."

She slowly smiled. "What exactly do you want to know?"

"A little about his past would be nice. I've even offered to share some of my past but he never wants to talk about that. What he's working on at his job. I'd even settle for his favorite color." I frowned and stopped before my frustration got me rambling.

Katty grinned. "Blue. And most of what he does at his job is either boring or legally barred from discussion outside of the workplace. I'm not surprised he doesn't want to talk about that. His past is almost as horrific as yours, so he probably doesn't want to add to your nightmares."

I pressed my lips together. That just made me even more curious about his past. The six scars across his left forearm hinted at pain, but was it against him? Or had he done it to himself?

Katty shook her head and shrugged. "Leave the past in the past as far as Arthur is concerned. He's trying to move past all that and heal. The best thing you could talk about would be the future. The rest is history."

She noticed my look of disappointment and frustration and seemed to take pity on me. "Listen. Arthur will let you know everything you want to know, given enough time and patience. He'll leave you clues. All you have to do is find them."

I thought that one through. "So, when he dog eared certain dishes in my cook books or picked up all the ingredients for something, he was telling me his favorite foods? And using German words all the time is him trying to teach me his language?"

Katty grinned and nodded. "Exactly. Very rarely will he say anything directly. He wants you to work a little for it. It lets him know you actually care enough to try. I'm sure you've noticed he doesn't talk much. And he's standoffish. It's all just a defense mechanism. His relationships don't tend to last long, so he pushes everyone away before they get too close."

I licked my lips as I considered. It certainly sounded like Arthur.

Katty gave me a contemplative look. "If it helps, he can read people pretty well. Don't hide the fact that it bothers you he won't let you in. Direct confrontation is going to drive him away, but he'll do his best to fix something if he knows he's bothering you."

She hesitated, then smiled when I noticed and cocked my head curiously. "Just out of curiosity, why do you want to get to know Arthur?"

I bit my lip, trying to come up with an excuse. None came to mind. Neither did the truth. I finally shook my head. "I don't know. I just feel like it's something I should do."

Katty grinned. "Good. I'm glad to hear that. If he can't keep a lover around, then maybe a friend is the next best thing."

I went back to Arthur's apartment after that and a few minutes catching up with Max. I scooped up Angel and lifted her up onto my shoulder with a small smile. I glanced at her when she purred. "What do you think Angel? Stick it out a little longer?" I looked around Arthur's space, once more noticing how spartan it was. How removed. How everything important was packed into his office, away from prying eyes.

Defense mechanism.

I could completely understand that. Maybe, the good old policy of giving a little to get a little would serve better than small talk. I strode for my cook books and flipped through, looking for one of Arthur's favorites.

I glanced up from filling and rolling enchiladas when Arthur got back from work. "Glad you're back." I ducked my head again, but I didn't miss the way he had stiffened up, expecting more small talk. When none appeared to be forthcoming, he moved through the main room and into his office to change into something more comfortable.

I patiently waited until he was back in the kitchen and pulling a beer out of the fridge before speaking again. "I'm sorry. About all the prying. And asking you to tie me to you. It was rude and selfish."

Arthur had frozen as he listened to me. Then he was shrugging as he opened his beer. He leaned back against the counter as he took a sip instead of going to the couch like usual. "I appreciate you telling me what you want. And accepting the fact that we don't always get what we want."

I forced a smile. "I appreciate that you give me what you can. You probably don't know this but, I was never a favorite human, so I didn't get many things I wanted. What I wanted was usually used against me, in fact. I did the bare minimum of groveling to survive and keep from being a blood gift, so that usually excluded me from the pampering the favored pets received."

There was a long pause. Then my eyes were widening in surprise as Arthur spoke, carefully and softly. "I do know what it's like. I started out a blood gift. I was given to Katty's father and he was going to drink me dry."

I jerked my head up and blinked at him. "What happened? I thought blood gifts were never turned."

Arthur ruefully smiled across the room, refusing to meet my startled gaze. "They aren't. I would have died that day, if it hadn't been for the intervention of Katty. I don't know what made her do it. She just begged for my life. And her father is not one to deny his daughters anything they wish."

It was all falling into place for me. "That's why you're her soldier. Why you would do anything for her. You owe her your life."

Arthur nodded. "Twice over.  And why I stayed here when her father went back to France. For as long as I live, I'll do and be whatever she needs of me."

That was all he was going to say on the matter. I could see him shutting off again as he pushed off the counter and moved stiffly for the couch. But he had let me in. He had allowed me to see a part of him. And it warmed my chest with a wave of emotions I hadn't felt in a very long time.

A/N:  Thanks for the continued interest.  These two are on a slow burn track but hopefully you enjoy reading about them as much as I enjoy writing about them.  Comments, questions and concerns are welcome.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

76.3K 2.4K 28
"Stay still." He took his sharp talon and moved aside a piece of her blonde- practically white- hair, still damp from the bath, and tossed it over he...
670 4 46
They say magic breeds consequence but doesn't everything in life, take love for example after everything you did for love was it worth it? I thought...
1M 55K 40
On his first moon, Aden finds a white werewolf with red markings staring back at him in his reflection. He is definitely a sub but with a little extr...
446K 12.7K 29
Previously, My enemies are my mates. Highest ranking in werewolf: #15 Highest ranking in vampire #74 "Who the fรปck touched you!?" Tate's eyes turned...