Chapter Thirty-Three

Tony wandered into the apartment, making me grumble as she got my hopes up that Arthur was back and dashed them again in one fell swoop. She grinned, knowing exactly what she had done to me. Petty vengeance for all the times I had annoyed her with my pining. "Come on. Katty says she has a surprise for you guys."

I got to my feet and sighed. "Is Arthur back?"

Tony grinned and stood back so I could go past her and lead the way. "Jason went to pick him up from the airport a little while ago actually." She shooed me along when I stopped and turned back in excitement. "You've got time for your surprise first though."

We stepped off the elevator a minute later and I found Max, Isaac, Jake and Henri assembled in the living room already. Katty, Emilio, and Sable were the only Vampires here. And Tony of course. Katty grinned and motioned me in.

"Ah good. You're just in time."

I stood behind the couch, right behind Jake, and shot Katty a curious look. "What's going on?" The other four humans looked just as bewildered as I was.

She started to answer when the door opened and Jason yelled into the apartment. My heart leapt. If Jason was back, that meant Arthur was back. Then I was a little confused by his words. "Katty? I hope everyone is here because she's about to fall over and she doesn't want us to touch her."

I turned to watch as Jason backed around the corner, watching a woman carefully. Arthur walked along behind her, ready to catch her if need be. The woman was bruised and ragged, looking weak and sick. Her bones showed under her skin, she was so badly malnourished. Her face was haunted, gaunt, and the hack job of a boy cut framing hollow cheeks wasn't helping. I recognized Arthur's clothes hanging off her frame and making her appear even smaller.

My brain short circuited and I had to work through it as recognition hit me. It appeared something similar had happened to the rest of the humans.

And then understanding dawned on the woman's face. She stopped still when she saw us and I could hear the others getting to their feet in a hurry. I licked my lips as a smile began to grow. "Juliette."

She let out a choked laugh and lurched forward. I ran to catch her, scooping her up in an embrace. The others were close behind me and suddenly there was a lot of hugging and crying with grins and laughter. I carefully relinquished her negligible weight when Max hauled her into a hug. I could only stare at her, wondering if we had looked like that when we had first gotten here.

I blinked in surprise when Jake placed a kiss on her mouth, but neither she nor Emilio seemed to think much of it. I just grinned and shook my head, unable to believe we were all together again. It felt like a miracle that only happened in the wildest of dreams.

I felt someone close behind me and turned to find Arthur. He gave me a slow smile, telling me with his eyes that he was happy to see me and sorry about spending so much time apart.

I punched his shoulder hard, upset that he had stayed away for so long and punishment for undoubtedly scaring Juliette multiple times. He just smirked and looped an arm around my waist, tugging me into him. He hesitated at the last second, unsure about either how I would feel about him kissing me or how I would feel about everyone watching.

I helped him make the correct decision. I surged forward and kissed him deeply, trying to convey my deepest gratitude, how much I had missed him, and how fully I loved him for bringing our friend to us. The way he moaned into my mouth told me he had gotten a rough idea.

I slowly broke away and grinned, promising him more where that came from later. His heated gaze held me to that promise. Then he was slowly turning loose of me so I could face my friends again. I went a little red in the face when I found Juliette staring at me from under Max's arm.