Chapter Twenty-Four

I shoved dinner into the oven, ignoring the pain across my back. All the slamming during sparring had left me with some bruising. Unfortunately, I hadn't been able to reach it well to ice it so it had been worse than usual. Arthur had been avoiding me all week, and with the niggling feeling of new...feelings for Arthur, my stress levels were steadily climbing.

It all put me in a right horrific mood.

I yelped when Angel suddenly jumped up to latch onto my knee, digging claws into flesh. I had been ignoring her mewing and twining about my ankles to tell me she wanted to sit on my shoulder. She had decided to take matters into her own paws.

I grabbed a pinch of her scruff and detangled her from my flesh and jeans. Then I was lifting her to eye level to glare at her. "No means no." I plopped her back down on the floor and turned away, moving to the living room to pick up the book I had left beside the couch.

I stiffened when, out of the corner of my eye, I caught Angel pushing her way into Arthur's office. I started to go for her but she was already inside. I swallowed hard, hoping Arthur was in a better humor than I was and wouldn't hurt my cat.

I flinched when I heard movement and braced for Angel to be tossed back out the door. Instead I was blinking in surprise as Arthur came out, holding Angel in one hand and stroking her back with the other. "Bedroom. Now."

His tone brooked no argument so I ducked my head and moved for the bedroom. I heard him messing around in the kitchen as I stood in the center of the bedroom, waiting for further instructions. I shivered when Arthur came back with a bowl of hot water, then I was eyeing it with a little confusion when I realized there was a hand towel floating in the water.

"Shirt off. Face down on the bed." I jumped at the sudden orders. I found myself obeying without thinking about it. It was only when I was half naked, lying stomach down on the bed that I realized this should be terrifying. Should be.

Arthur bent to scoop Angel off the floor and set her on her feet on the bed. She purred as she happily came over to get in my face. I reached up to tuck her next to my shoulder and she curled into a ball, relaxed now that she finally had my attention.

Arthur sat on the side of the bed next to my hip and balanced the bowl in his lap, reaching in to pull out the towel. He wrung it out and then he was spreading it across my back. I hissed and it immediately came back off.

"Too hot?"

I shook my head. "Feels good."

Arthur nodded and put it back, making sure all my bruises were covered. Once he was satisfied with it, he sat back and regarded me. "I realize you're stressed, but it's not nice to take it out on the cat."

I blushed and pressed my face into the pillow. "Sorry." My fingers curled against Angel, making her purr again. Arthur started to get up to leave and my heart constricted. "Arthur?" He turned back and settled again, waiting for me to speak. I bit my lip, trying to figure out how to put all these complicated feelings into words. Finally, I lost my nerve. "Never mind."

He regarded me for a long moment before nodding and getting to his feet, taking the bowl with him. "Relax for a bit. When the towel isn't hot anymore we'll eat."

I nodded and closed my eyes, breathing in deep and letting it all out. Angels ears flicked at the rush of air against her. I fought back the ache of despair in my chest. I couldn't keep living like this. When I got up, I'd tell him everything. And if he rejected me again, then... Maybe I could find a place to work. Try to reclaim some semblance of normalcy in the years I had left.

I must have dozed off for a bit because when I woke up the towel was cold and I could smell dinner. I had forgotten all about it. But it didn't smell burned so I guessed that Arthur had kept an eye on it.