Royally Kissed | βœ“

By poeticpotts

In the world of wealth and make-believe, Royally Kissed follows the tale of Paige Cadwyn, an heiress who beli... More

preface
the romantic kisses
01; the heiress
02; the pauper
03; the first kiss
04; the black poetry
05; the rabbit hole
06; the cyborg
07; the simple joy
08; the sneaky huxley
09; the precautions
10; the stolen glances
11; the sweet escape
12; the best night
13; the starry night
14; the forgiven
15; the deliverance
16; the unwanted guest
17; the brothers
18; the daintily damaged
19; the robin's father
20; the unforeseen invitation
21; the deluxe dinner
22; the promise
23; the villainous switch
24; the devil's sacrifice
25; the queen's unearthing
26; the clock strikes
27; the curse of abel
28|1; the revelation
29; the heiress's downfall
30; the robot's empathy
the stealthy kisses
31; the painful beginnings
32; the first snow
33; the world
34; the royal ball
35; the space-time
36; the open door
37; the untouchable
38; the missing gift
39; the undone
40|1; the colliding moment
40|2; the reunion
41; the forsaken one
42; the cold heart
43; the butterfly effect
44|1; the second chance
44|2; the prettiest words
45; the envelopes
46; the sickeningly hopeful
47; the forgotten
48; the faces of janus
49; the princess's choice
50; the rivalry
51; the desperate measures
52; the white flag
53; the solemn certainty
54; the unanticipated
55; the heart
56; the psychological warfare
57; the violent ends
58; the art of letting go
59; the purple moon
60; the best Γ©clair

28|2; the prince's deception

469 21 38
By poeticpotts

twentyeight

{ part two }
the prince's deception

THE SHIP SAILED midair in a sweeping motion.

Paige could still rather see the ride from here in the car as she lingered outside the park; there were arms up above the clouds that were attached to the bellowing mouths underneath in sheer mirth. The curve-shaped wooden vessel pointed towards the sky like a tease to the mix of colors as if they were wrestling for transcendence.

On the other side of the world, the sun began to shine through; and then it took her a good ten seconds to realize that she'd been immobilized for far too long already.

Paige refused Owen's offer to take her home as she always drove her own car, anyway. And even though she hadn't got one, she would've done the same exact thing−turn him down. Her mind was wandering through everywhere right now and she needed some time alone to process everything she knew.

"Everything alright?" he'd asked her when she got out of the grand ballroom and found him smoking another stick. Paige knew it took him to drag few other ones before she got there, considering that the talk with Archer wasn't equaled to one cigarette alone. "How did your talk go over?"

Letting out a sigh of resignation, she'd developed a tic that was originally a sign for him to go along with her, and let the silence between them span for a short while. And only then it stopped when Owen broke into a coughing fit.

Quite frankly, she didn't know how to start−or if he should know, in the first place. Owen shouldn't, she belatedly decided. Because if the information she had acquired were stored in a classification of documents, this would be 'confidential' or, say, 'top-secret'.

Or was it, really?

But Paige felt like she was going to burst all over the place so there was no certainty here if she would remain mum.

Owen was keeping up the pace alongside her, meant to wheedle her into getting it out of her lips. Not able to hold it back anymore, she whirled apace to him and he blinked in surprise at the haste as his steps faltered.

Paige ran her fingers through her hair. Screw it, she thought. "Archer's an illegitimate child?"

"Paige," he hissed, his eyes widening and then looked around rather precariously. "Keep it low."

She couldn't. So frustrated was she, almost bordering on fury, at the challenges Arthur possibly had to face way before he knew he had a half-brother in the form of Archer West.

Owen darted her a pointed look, gesturing his hands for her to calm down. Two hands mid-air, then down to her shoulders.

"Owen, Archer−he..." her tongue swept across her lip, shaking her head, "his father took Arthur's mother away from her husband. Isn't that right?"

"What isn't right is for us to even talk about this." He almost immediately shook his head at the wake of the flickering motion in his eyes. "That's not my story to tell, okay?"

"Owen," she pressed, her eyes soft but eager. "Please. You, at least, know something−"

"Course, I fucking know something. All of us know each other's secrets. I mean, not all, but you know what I'm trying to say here."

Paige caught his wrist. "I won't tell anyone. I promise."

He held her gaze for a moment. They both weren't going to back down just yet, but when Paige showed him how much she actually cared about all this, his shoulders sagged heavily. "Why're you so stubborn?"

"You're well-aware I hardly disobey, Owen. But this−I...I can't lose Arthur because of something I don't understand. I have to know or else I'll go crazy."

Owen's eyes held something so much more than his calm expression at the wake of her confession. It wasn't an outright statement that she loved Arthur already but it was a good reason enough for him to perceive that Arthur had taken a very special place in her heart.

He huffed another pregnant sigh. "Fuck," he grumbled aside. "Alright, you better listen carefully because this is going to be pretty long." He cleared his throat before his mouth opened with crystal-clear voice. "Mr Robert West was married to another woman. So was Archer's mom. Mr West's marriage didn't work out probably because his wife couldn't bear a child. He knew Edith, Archer's mom, was wedded already, but still, they fell in love with each other. Mr West's legal wife was already happy with another, anyway, so he considered himself a free man...

"But Edith's husband had no idea about her affair, then. So she'd, I don't know, probably go back and forth from here to Rockstring. She was practically living a double life. When she wasn't at work with Mr West, she'd go to her husband. But she got pregnant with Archer, and as what she'd told my friend before she died, she didn't go back to Rockstring for a year because of that; just simply told her husband there were a lot more work that had to be done. I don't know how she managed to not let him see her...."

Paige could only blink as the new information kept flooding in.

"Now, what's even more crazy was that when she went back to her legal husband, she came home as if nothing happened and continued the double life, so I think that's when Arthur comes into the picture. Arthur and Archer both obviously didn't know they had a brother, within cities just practically right next to each other, both living different lives. I'm pretty sure, though, that throughout Archer's high school life until he got himself into business, Edith was there by his side. I can attest to that. So I guess she left her husband, in the end−that meant she left Arthur, too.

"She was a good person, Paige. We were just surprised how she'd been keeping something like that for a long time. Archer told us that his parents had an agreement that she'd visit Rockstring once a week. Not sure if Robert knows about Arthur, though. And if even he does, I don't think he'd want Arthur to know him, anyway, or him knowing Arthur. And, of course, the boys themselves. So..." He sighed. "That's it; quite a mouthful."

Although Owen had told her so many things, leaving her mind numbed and overwhelmed, the only words she could say at that moment was, "Now I get why Arthur's so hostile towards his half-brother. Her mother left his dad, him, and chose the Wests instead."

At the same time, she carefully ruminated the situation. What made Edith leave Rockstring altogether aside from 'loving' Mr West? Guilt for what she'd done to her husband and to Arthur? Is that the reason why she suffered from major depression?

"Maybe." Owen jolted one shoulder as he crossed his arms. "The first time Archer shared about her mother's past after her death, we were stunned. When you told me at the hospital that Arthur's brother is Archer, I almost couldn't believe it. I understand why he'd keep it to us when Archer found him, though. He's a public figure, the media could surely catch wind of the situation faster than a speeding bullet."

She bit her lip thoughtfully. "I'm just wondering, I've heard about Mr Robert West before but not about Edith, ever." Owen's eyebrow shot up. "No, I mean, not in social gatherings with family and friends."

"I don't know. Maybe she's just a private person. It makes sense, though. She hardly ever go out of their property. At least, during those times when the boys hung out at the West's. You know, I can't even remember if I've seen her at social gatherings. It's always just Archer and his dad. In retrospect, it's actually really strange why she didn't interact much outside their mansion. She's really different from how the boys knew her. Edith was quite the chatty type, very friendly, and always had this sunny smile. Not one who snubs."

Her forehead creased. "Well, it's probably because Mr West had to hide her because of the affair."

"That's a fair point, sure," Owen said. "But I don't think that's the reason at all. Robert adores her. He looks at her with pride, you see. It's just that, I dunno, it's like she doesn't socialize because people don't want her around. People don't know she was married to someone else in Rockstring, right? And Robert and his wife separated already. So why would she hide? That's the bit I'm stuck at."

Paige pursed her lips together with a frown down her face. "I thought that this conversation would end with answers. Turns out that it only opened more questions."

"And I thought I wouldn't have this talk with you, either. I don't usually care much. I try not to. It's too...personal." Owen shook his head flippantly. "We don't have to know the answers at all, Paige. At least, not anymore. I mean, what for? You got what you want. You now know the issue between Arthur and Archer. Why look for more answers?"

She sighed. Owen was right. However, she realized there were still loopholes which, in retrospect, already involved her in some way. She had no single clue what answer she was really looking for, yet. But there was that eonian gut-feeling of hers.

"Just think of it as a girl thing."

﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

"You can just stay outside," Paige said to the guards that were trailing her, seeing that she got out of her car, only to go into a tavern−at Slingshot. "I'll just visit a friend."

There were two of them at the moment in front of her, and the younger one took two steps forward. Almost never any of them had approached her this close, unless if need be. And now, turning to the man in a black and white suit, Paige realized this was the guard Arthur was talking to outside of her hospital room before. Broad, masculine shoulders, sinewy arms, snappy gait, short, neat hair, all the befitting qualities of a man who served in an army once.

"Ma'am, I don't try to take down your decisions," he said, icy blue eyes so cool they almost looked white as they anchored to hers. "But I don't think it would be wise for you to go in there. Safety protocols. Drunk people−those aren't always fun to deal with."

"But I won't be long," she said and began to walk, only to jump back in faint surprise when Malcolm blocked her off.

He tilted his head. "Your grandmother's orders."

She let out a frustrated sigh, before eyeing him rather pleadingly. Paige had told Cain she'd drop by and she liked to think she was a woman of words. Besides, if something were to happen to her inside the bar, she was sure Cain would try to keep her safe.

"Malcolm, right?"

He tipped his chin up at the wake of her question and crossed his wrist down below his abdomen. It was as if a general had addressed him and it would be his honor to perform another assignment for the country. Which was quite amusing, if Paige weren't annoyed at the situation.

"Malcolm, I would need you to do something for me," she began with a low, clear voice that meant to rivet him to her words as if bewitching. "I have a very important meeting tonight−"

He didn't seem convinced. Because his eyebrow shot up. "In a bar?"

"Um−yes," she faltered, although quickly straightened with renewed confidence. "Listen, my family's safety will be at stake if I won't meet this guy," she lied, and she applauded that she'd done it rather smoothly.

"Which is why we're here for you, Ma'am. It's our duty to protect you and your family."

"No!" Her eyes widened, flushing as she realized her reaction. Paige cleared her throat and assuaged herself. "I mean, no, I have to do it myself. The person I'm looking for is working here. And if he sees that you guys are with me, I don't think he'd want to help me any longer. I don't want him to feel threatened. If I see something wrong, I will call you immediately. Alright?"

Malcolm was silent for more or less three seconds, apparently caught up in contemplation. Then he stared back at her, making her smile sweetly. If she had to bat her eyelashes, she would in a heartbeat, if only so he would leave her alone.

"Alright," he said, unaware of her triumph when he'd chanced a meaningful glance with a nod at the other bodyguard, making him step back in submission. "We'll be on the lookout."

She suppressed her smile, never in her wildest dreams imagining she'd be a good actress. Nodding at him, she then spun her heel and pushed the doors open. The greeting was strangely welcoming−not just because of the servers who'd greeted her but more at the overall ambience of the bar.

Slingshot was dimly lit, a typical sight such as at the others, and the place was cozy−with top-grade wooden materials all around which gave off a vintage, classic vibe. The rest of the lounge area remained dreamy with those lamps hanging above the posts and walls. Once, her eyes caught the sign that led to the second floor, at the cigarette lounge, which she was thankful for as no one would really want their face be buried with cigarette smokes unless one was a real fan.

Paige smiled at a lady server, who was telling her about their featured cocktail of the week and that it was a ladies' night, which she quickly brushed off in a polite manner. When she asked her about Cain, she pointed at the bar counter, and located a tall brown-haired guy instead of a blond. Paige grinned. Cain was too casual with things but he was unusually vain for his appearance, she thought.

She strode towards the guy busying himself with talking to two men while flawlessly flair bartending in front of them like he was born to do it. Just as she tipped herself up to one of the stools, Cain poured the mixed alcohol from the cocktail shaker into a shot glass and happily served it to one of the men.

"Cain!" She almost bellowed amidst the music, the hustle, and the casual chatters round. When he seized the voice, his face lit up.

"What," he drawled the vowel in amusement. "You weren't kidding."

"Yes," she said, smiling, as he finally stood up in front of her. "I'm here. My acting was fairly convincing. Had to get them off my back."

He rolled his eyes, knowing what she meant. "Rich people. Anyways, is there something particular you wanna drink? It's on the house."

"Um−just orange juice."

He tugged up a sly smirk. "Sex on the beach it is, then."

"Cain!" She flushed when the two guys next to her threw their heads back in mirth.

Rolling his eyes, Cain said, "It's a prettier alternative for orange juice. Trust me, it's not that strong."

Paige pursed her lips, deliberating that for awhile. Her alcohol tolerance wasn't particularly impressive but it wasn't like she was going to go have a single drinking party tonight. "Does it have vodka?"

"Yup."

She crinkled her nose. "I don't like vodka."

"Tequila?"

Pouting her lips aside, her eyes swept upside. "Hmm, okay."

"Margarita coming right up." He tossed her a wink and began to mix.

She rolled her eyes but with a slight smile on her face, only to pull down a frown when she remembered Arthur living with this particular bartender. "I know."

"What?" he asked distractedly, his eyes on the other customer asking him for another glass.

"I know that Arthur lived in your apartment and just moved out," she said, and his hand slowed down around the cocktail shaker.

This time, Cain had to swept his eyes to her, an unreadable expression down his face. He then shrugged as he looked away and focused half of his attention to his job like it was the most interesting thing in the world.

"Yeah, so...?"

Paige shrugged. "Just wondering why nobody told me."

"Is it something worth sharing?"

"I don't know," she said, murmuring a 'thank you' when Cain placed the margarita glass atop the counter in front of her. "But I just find it weird−" she sighed and defeated, "whatever. Sorry, I'm just...overthinking."

His eyebrow shot up. "Clearly."

Brushing his comment aside, Paige gingerly tipped the brim to her mouth and fuddled what was known to be the perfect cocktail. At first, her face crinkled at the bitterness lacing around her tongue, before the taste gradually ranged from sourness to sweetness. She nodded at Cain and he smirked in amusement.

"Why did he move out, though?"

"Why don't you go ask him yourself?" His tone was dripping with faint aggravation. She couldn't blame him. She'd be annoyed at herself, too. What with her non-ending questions to people around her, one could only take so much. "He's your boyfriend."

Paige huffed. "You're right. Sorry."

"Don't be. I'm not annoyed at you, if that's what you're thinking," he explained, her mood not unnoticed by him. "I'm kind of pissed at him. I like Arthur being tightlipped, actually. Not a fan of that dude's sarcastic remarks the second he opens his mouth. But he should at least tell you some things about this and that, you know?"

Her eyebrows jerked at the same time, her chin askew. "Yeah...I guess."

"But to answer your question, I don't...exactly know why."

"Oh, okay. That's fine. I'll go talk to him," replied Paige, then chuckled. "If he's not busy."

When she tilted her head up at him, an emotion flickered in his eyes, and probably realizing that he'd been staring at her for far too long, he cleared his throat.

"Right."

Cain soon entertained the other customers with that usual broad grin on his face. Paige stared at him, almost unblinkingly. He was such a bright person and natural conversationalist−earning laughs from his regulars here and there as if they'd all been friends for a long time, with him throwing them those funny expressions of his like the buffoon that he normally was.

Then her heart ached.

Cain seemed so happy. Almost like his life was perfect. No fears, no inhibitions, no troubles. It was as if his father wasn't sick and had to take care of his little sister who had a tendency to break at any point, especially the moment she'd know about their father's fate.

To take her mind off of that at the moment, she turned to her phone and realized Arthur had left her a message seconds ago. 'I miss you. How's the practice?'

She quickly replied: 'Good. The steps weren't that hard to learn. Made some new friends. I met Archer.'

It took awhile for her to received his response, she even thought he was mad at the fact that she practically befriended his archenemy. But when he did, her shoulders descended heavily in sheer relief. 'Oh, really. That's nice.'

Paige frowned. That's nice? She didn't know what to make of the comment−if he was genuinely pleased or being unremorsefully sarcastic. Ultimately, Arthur was one confusing human being. There was always two of him. Never only one. Hot and cold, good and bad, black and white. So why was she even surprised? She decided to shrug it off. When she was about to make a reply, another message from him came.

'I'll talk to you later. I have to go somewhere and meet someone important. I'll be away from my phone in the next few hours. Don't wait for my call later tonight, ok? I'll see you tomorrow.'

She let out a long, heavy sigh. Was there anything new? His excuses were like a broken-record−repetitive, staccato, and made more sense than a muddy water.

"Looks like the princess just got ousted from the castle," that familiar mocking voice said, and Paige flickered her eyes at the stupid smirk on Cain's face.

"Go away, Cain," she retorted, mentally stabbing him with a pitchfork. "One more. Don't worry, I'll pay for it this time."

He snorted and gave her a dry gaze. "You're being ridiculous. It's not that. Hell, I'd even give you a few more shots if you want, I don't mind. But what's that thing on your face?"

"What thing?"

"That thing on your face that makes you not so hot?" he suggested; Paige deadpanned. "But seriously, what is it again this time? Lemme guess−give me five minutes to think. Oh, yeah, it's Arthur."

She rolled her eyes. "Just give me one already."

"Woah," he raised his hands and pulled a face dramatically, "take it easy, Paige."

"Two more, buddy," the guy next to her interrupted the conversation and Cain had no choice but cater to his customer's needs. "So...I guess I'll only have to introduce myself since I know your name already, Paige."

She followed where the voice came from and she gave him a funny look. Not the good kind, but more like splashing-his-face-with-liquor-and-run-away kind of look. But that would be uncharacteristic of her. So she smiled.

He looks good, actually. Someone who seems to take the easy street, successful, cutting jawline, slicked-back light-brown hair, dimples on either side of his cheeks. But smarmy and full of hot air. Who would want to know someone like him?

"It's nice to meet you," he added, and his hand shot out, "I'm Cadmus Hunt."

She blinked. "Cadmus Hunt? The one from the engineering department at Manor Amusement Park who dated Maggie from the social media marketing department?"

"You're Cadmus Hunt?" Cain obviously had heard the conversation and then knocked a glass down as if utterly and honestly surprised. Then muttered expletives and glanced at the glass. Afterwards, he turned to Cadmus. "That brother of Tyro Hunt who dated Jouwee Chang, the one working at the engineering department for Manor Amusement Park?"

He was deathly silent, his eyes widening for a fraction, shifting back and forth from Paige to Cain. Cadmus was weirded out, if the funny look on his face and his jaw falling ajar were anything to go by. "Um," he wavered, trying to pull up a smile, which only came out lopsided, "yeah. That Cadmus Hunt. Uh−can I have the tab, please?"

Cain shrugged. "Sure."

The second Cadmus and his friend left after swiftly downing their last-minute additional drinks, Paige and Cain laughed.

"That wasn't planned at all," she said, shaking her head in amusement. "I was honestly surprised that he's that Cadmus we've only heard from other people. So weird."

"Tell me about it," he said. He gestured to her margarita and when she riveted her eyes down to it, Cain suddenly toppled his hand over hers, making her heart skip a beat. Not entirely something romantic. But more like in shock. He stared at her and, with a low, smooth voice, "Look at me."

"Huh?" She crinkled her forehead, a twist of amusement across her lips. "I am looking at you. What's the matter?"

He shook his head, a flicker of undecipherable emotion in his eyes. Someone called him, a colleague of his, a threatening tone in his voice−the bartender's hand was on top of his customer's and the bar was at its peak hours, so that wasn't debatable why that person had to warn him or of some sort.

Cain simply raised his other hand, lifted an index to his workmate and said, "Shut up. We're having a romantic moment here."

The guy snorted, while Paige raised her eyebrow, chuckling a little bit. "What're you talking about, Cain? You're being weird."

"Hi, Cain!"

His eyes suddenly sewn shut, his hand tightening around hers before he bowed down his head and let out a pregnant sigh. As if he couldn't do anything but submit.

"Cain?" Paige asked in confusion.

"Care to introduce your girlfriend to us?" a sing-songy voice asked, and then Paige turned to the person, only to see a beautiful, lithesome blonde, who had her hands clasped around Arthur's forearm. "Hi! I'm Lola. What's your name?"

Her heart sank.

Her eyes shifted to her boyfriend, his face deathly pale and apologetic. "Paige," his voice almost didn't sound like his.

She quickly turned to Cain and ignored the sorry look on his face, placed a bill on the counter and walked away without so much as a backward glance. Someone seized her wrist, turning her back.

"Paige, listen−"

"Don't." She kept her eyes locked to his with so much pain, praying to the gods that they wouldn't let her cry in front of him, before finally pulling her arm away and pushed the doors open.

Malcolm was right. It wasn't safe for her to be there, at all.

She cried all the way home.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 16.9K 20
When a teenage cyborg is forced to hide out at a small-town high school, the unthinkable happens: she falls in love. *Optioned for TV by Cream Drama...
241K 5.9K 55
'HOLY SHIT!' Madalyne takes a deep breath when she realizes what just happened. She feels hot and bothered but at the same time confused; how can a s...
2.3K 74 50
A male-cyborg and his human student Sophie fall in love after she finds out what a true gentleman he is but will she stay after she finds out wh...
1M 41.3K 60
"you're no one to me", his words echoed in my ears but what was it all when he kissed me; merely an illusion? It felt so real and lively. "...and ju...