Jack Book Two in the Trilogy:...

By gdorion

Jack: Book 2 is a rollicking high-seas adventure. Schoolmaster Jerome Whittemore - a former 'preacher' on sl... More

Acknowledgements
Corruption Part 1
Alone Part 2
The Sermon: The Infinite Sea Part 3
The Captain: Part 4
War Plans Part 5
The Chief Mate Part 6
The Bribe Part 7
A Voice in the Wilderness Part 8
The Plot Part 9
Man Overboard Part 10
Eulogy Part 11
Hurricane Part 12
Kingston, Jamaica Part 13
Jamaican Nights Part 14
Love and Rebellion Part 15
Spying Part 16
Aboard Ship 17
Slaves in the Hold Part 19
Treachery Part 20
Interrogation Part 21
Unexpected Slaves Aboard Part 22
The Innkeeper Part 23
Sailing to Cuba Part 24
Jenkins Part 25
Jenkins' Spy Network Part 26
Muddying the Waters Part 27
Which Side Ye Be On, Matey Part 28
Captain Addresses the Crew Part 29
The Trial Part 30
Port-au-Prince, Hispaniola Part 31
Time to Move Part 32
The Plan Part 33
The Midnight Raider Part 34
Freedom Part 35
Midnight Part 36
Change of Plans Part 37
Blessed Night Part 38
The Storm Part 39

No Show Part 18

2 0 1
By gdorion

We swam around to the stern and made our way up onto the wharf where we immediately went to the inn to wait for Mauricia and America.

"So you think we should wait to do it in Costa Rica? Not Florida?" Jack said, sitting in a rocking chair outside Mauricia's mother's inn that set about 300 paces from the harbor.

"Florida's a slave state, Jack, you should know that. See it pays to go to school. No, we should do it in Costa Rica," I said, "When their guard is down. We'll place what we can in the boats and take them to shore, and the rest can swim. Then once they're safe somewhere - Costa Rica has a lot of jungles and mountains - we'll find another ship to board for somewhere - home hopefully."

"They should be here by now! I hope they didn't get caught," Jack said.

"But wouldn't they let them go?" I asked suddenly becoming concerned.

"Not necessarily, sonny boy. They could be in big trouble."

"Yeah," I said, "we should have stopped them from following. It was stupid to let two young black girls go on a slaver. Stupid of us! They could..."

"You're right pal. They could get five hundred each at least and maybe a thousand for those girls," Jack added.

"What do we do now?" I said.

"Let's wait a while longer - see if they turn up. If not we return from liberty a half-hour early to see if we can secretly - I repeat secretly - learn what happened. That's all we can do right now. Wait and then investigate if we have to. We need more information. Let's make sure some of the crew see us in this tavern or another one so we have a story we can tell 'bout where we've been.' We need to iron out any creases in our plan," said Jack.

"If we fail," I said, "you know what'll happen to the slaves, they'll be hunted down."

"As it is, who would ever take them back home?" Jack said. "That's the difficult part. They'll probably have to start a new life in Costa Rica."

"I know a little 'bout Costa Rica from geography," I said, adding, "there are central mountains, all jungle and jungles on the Pacific side and Caribbean side where they won't be bothered. It'll be a hard life though," I said.

"Better than what they'd get in Charleston," Jack said, "even if half of them have to die."

"They'll have to do it on their own," I said, "unless you want to go with them in Costa Rica, I mean."

"Go with 'em? Huh! Maybe if we're really gonna go through with this plan, we should disappear afterwards for a year or so down in the jungles where we can do some real exploring. Let's think on that one," said Jack.

"Right," I said. "We might have to do exactly that. But shouldn't we really try to get them back to their African villages?

"Let's deal with that later. We got troubles enough right now," Jack said. "We better head to the ship. They're real late now!"

"No. Let's go inside to see if any of the crew are there and strike up a conversation with 'em just in case we need to prove where we were," I said. "If the mom asks about the girls we'll say we gave them some money for food and we're going to meet them shortly down by the harbor in a café. Let's go inside then and make it quick," I said.

"Act drunk if we see any from our ship," said Jack.

"Yeah, good idea. Let's go," I said.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.3K 1.3K 33
"It's okay, Jack" he whispered quickly, trying to offer some comfort. He'll never know how much I appreciate that from him. He'll never know. I can'...
3.6K 320 104
This blurb contains *spoilers* for Parts 1 to 3. 1720. The world is in chaos. Two of the greatest empires the world has ever seen are about to wage w...
5.5K 137 13
The bringer of wanton anguish jeers at all who fall before its machinations! Its shadow is like smoke on the wind, all who detect it know of a fire b...
134K 5.1K 41
#1 Rank of Edward Kenway Upon the perilous waters of the Caribbean, the dreaded Jackdaw claims her dominance. The pirate captain that some believe to...