Screaming Eagles

By KennyMichels

"You're about to embark on a great crusade..." General Dwight D. Eisenhower had said in his speech to the tro... More

Chapter 1 - Screaming Eagles
Chapter 2 - Surrounded
Chapter 3 - Sniper
Chapter 4 - Opening engagements
Chapter 5- D-Day
Chapter 6 - The bloody first
Chapter 7 - The Hedgerows
Chapter 8 - Carentan
Chapter 9 - Taking Carentan
Chapter 10 - Debriefing and a new assignment
Chapter 11 - Night ops
Chapter 12 - Danger close!
Chapter 13 - Laying the trap
Chapter 14 - Ambush
Chapter 15 - Morning before the jump
Chapter 16 - Eagles are leading the way
Chapter 18 - Memories
Chapter 19 - Friendly fire
Chapter 20 - The Reich strikes back
Chapter 21 - Truce
Chapter 22 - Up close and personal
Chapter 23 - Lurking danger
Chapter 24 - Redirected
Chapter 25- Comrades
Chapter 26 - Unternehem Wacht am Rhein
Chapter 27 - Blitzkrieg
Chapter 27 - Besieged!
Chapter 28 - NUTS!
Chapter 29 - The Battle for Bastogne
Chapter 30 - The SS
Chapter 31- The Resistance
Chapter 32- Patton's 3rd Army
Chapter 33 - The Great Escape part 1
Chapter 33 The Great Escape part 2
Chapter 34- Lodendorf bridge
Chapter 35- Epilogue: I had a comrade

Chapter 17 - Trouble at Son

230 23 4
By KennyMichels

Standing up in a flurry as papers fell from his desk while his eyes were already watering, he was choking on his words before he finally cleared his throat. Then collecting himself, he calmly looked up at the waiting young man in front of him and spoke "Forward this message to Generaleutnant Fritz Bayerlein and General der Panzertruppen, herr Heinrich Freiherr Von Luttwitz."

Handing him the message, Karl added  "Get Oberst Remer und Kokott of the 26th Volksgrenadier to the Waal and lower Rhine, then I want you to get ahold of Oberst Pryitz from the 2nd Panzer. I want his troops positioned and ready at Arnhem for the upcoming counter attack, schnell!" Karl ordered, encouraging  the specialist to hurry along as Karl made his way down the hallway to the command room where he can command his troops.

He pushed the heavy oak doors open wide that led into the room that was once the conference room of this hotel, and he made his way over to the large map that had his troops marked on it.

Under the 9th Panzer division of the XLVII Panzercorps, Karl commands the total of 3500 men and those men are under the 33rd Panzer regiment, the 10th, 11th P.G. regiment, along with the 102nd artillery, 9th recon, 50th anti-tank, 287th flak, then finally. The 81st signals and the one battalion that separates Karl's from the rest, the 301st heavy Panzer battalion.

There's also an extension of his command with the 26th Volksgrenadier and the 2nd Panzer regiment which he usually puts first, they're usually on the front lines first that way his more veteran troops won't get too depleted during an ongoing battle.

In all that leaves Karl the third highest ranking officer in the corps, as Heinrich and Genlt. Bayerlein obviously outrank him.

He stood there for a while as he watched his route officers execute his orders to move out the division, Karl was tense as he watched the chest sized pieces that represented his armored and infantry as they were pushed forward to the Waal and lower Rhine.

This is serious, the enemy is literally at the gates of Germany and her industry, so he wasn't going to put his inexperienced civilian soldiers from the Volksgrenadier at the front lines like usual.

No, he's going to hit back hard and put this invasion to a grinding halt before they even attempt to cross the bridge at Arnhem. His most elite and veteran units are being placed at Arnhem to drive his iron fist into the allies.

Through Kampfgruppe Schmidt he's assigning the 301st heavy Panzer battalion and the 10th Panzergrenadier company to shut the enemy down at Arnhem.

**

Outskirts of Eindhoven, current time

There was barely any resistance at all that the men of B company met on their push into Eindhoven. It was most likely due to the surprise attack from the first wave, the company was airdropped in so suddenly that the German garrison was still scrambling around when they realized what was truly happening.

Which resulted in said little resistance to very small skirmishes here and there across the town.

"Hande höch Soldaten!" Jack shouted as he leveled his BAR towards a group of stumbling German infantrymen. That have came running out of a building half dressed and unarmed even.

They froze immediately and turning left to look at the American, they then saw several more behind him and any thoughts of fighting was forgotten.

The garrison was in disbelief, with a lot of the AA fire, some were suspicious while the majority thought it was a drill or something like that on the outskirts of town.

And it's those few suspicious men that have successfully manned their posts and are currently slugging it out with the invading Americans in losing skirmish battles.

Walking up to the group of men that through their hands into the air, he began questioning them, "Soldaten wer und wo ist deine Kommandant?"

"Du sprechst Deutsch?" One of them asked bewildered at what he heard, he certainly wasn't expecting to meet someone who's fluent in his language from the enemy.

"Es egal, jetzt Antwort mich!" Jack demanded as he stepped closer to them and they all took a few steps backwards from him.

"Er ist dort, im die Gebaüde mit unsere nationalflagge außerhalb..." One of them replied and Jack simply nodded his head before motioning them to come over.

They complied with no problems and Jack turned them over to an awaiting Corporal before he addressed his accompanying platoon behind him.

"Ok everyone, their commander's inside that building over looking the bridge where most of the fighting is taking place, c'mon get the led out we got a bridge to take!" Jack hollered before he began making his way up the street with Harris and the others eagerly following behind him.

**

At Son

It became obvious that James landed in the wrong DZ, but it wasn't his fault though, his plane was shot down early and he landed to the east which was way off from his DZ. Instead he landed with Dog company, but at least they were from the same battalion.

Unlike the garrison at the major city, Son's was on full alert and putting up a decent fight, however James and 2nd platoon ran into problems with an 88mm and German artillery positions that had held them up for the past ten minutes while the company fought the garrison off.

Once they did get past that, they pressed into Son meeting moderate resistance until they got to a chokepoint that led up the street to the mouth of the bridge.

Before anyone could stop it, a long rattle from an MG32 that was up the street butchered the six privates that were clearing the corner. James was quick enough to save the seventh private that would've became a casualty by stepping out into the open to yank him back into the safety behind the wall.

"Stay the hell back, that fucking machine gun has this entire god damn street fucking shut shut down!" James cursed out as he got up and proceeded to help the private he forcibly threw to the ground in order to save him.

Thankfully though, whoever that German gunner was had honor to him, he wasn't shooting the wounded where they lied out in the open street.

Taking a moment to look around and collect themselves, James was working against the clock because two of them looked like they were in critical condition and if they didn't stop the bleeding. Then those hit arteries will cause a slow, agonizing bleed out.

Kneeling down at the corner, James started to call out to his wounded, coaxing them to try and crawl back here if they could. Four of them did as they were told and painfully crawled to safety leaving a smeared trail of blood in their wake.

While the other two just didn't move, they were motionless and it was hard to admit, but they didn't look like they were breathing.

Taking a moment to look around,  James wanted to figure out where the hell that nest was in order to silence it for good. So when he spotted a parked car a few houses down, an idea came to mind.

"Alright youse, see that car mirror? Break it off and bring the mirror to me intact, quick!" James said and quickly a Corporal made his way over and placed his Grand on the ground. Then, he drew his spaded shovel and raised it above his head.

In one fluid motion, he brought the head of the shovel down on the thin metal pole that held the mirror up and in place on the car. There was a loud metallic ring that sounded as the pole was sliced in half and the shovel was stopped by the car, leaving a nasty dent on the side of the door.

Collecting the pole with the mirror still attached, the Corporal jogged over and handed it to James, presenting the pole part for him to take. Then walking back over to the corner of the building that leads out into the open, he carefully eases the mirror out so he could safely see down the street.

However, German's though weren't going to have any of that and a burst from the thirty-two dispatched that mirror and startled James.

The impact from the burst caused him to curse out as he let go of the pole from reflex, his expression went into an immediate frown before he sighed as he looked at the shattered remains of the mirror.

Then turning around to face everyone that's waiting behind him, he opened his mouth to say something but a loud ear ringing explosion cut James off as everyone hit the dirt while the earth slightly shook.

"Everyone alright!?" James called out over the ringing as he placed a hand on top of his looks helmet and stood up. Everyone was already muttering and cursing as they regained themselves while they carefully stood back up.

"They just blew the bridge, sir!"

***
That's it for this week's update everyone, I do hope you'll continue to like it!
I also would like to apologize for missing Friday's update, I was busy over at the Hudson firehouse for part of my fire training in Youth day and I never had the chance to post anything.

With that in mind though, this week is up and on time thankfully!
**
Translations

Er ist Dort, im die Gebaüde mit unsere nationalflagge außerhalb - He's there, in the building with our national flag outside.

Es egal, jetzt Antwort mich! - It doesn't matter, now answer me!

Hande höch Soldaten! - Hands up soldiers!

Soldaten wer und wo ist deine Kommandant - Soldiers, who and where is your commander?

Generalleutnant - LT. General

General der Panzertruppen - General of the tank troops

The 301st heavy Panzer battalion - It was a battalion that fought in WWII that consisted mainly of heavy tanks as the leading element with Panzer IVs being part of the squad. Those heavy tanks were mainly Tiger Is and Tiger IIs that made up a large part of those heavy battalions.

Volksgrenadier - People's grenadier part of the Volksstrum (Peoples storm); The Volkssturm was a German national militia established during the last months of World War II. It was set up by the Nazi Party with orders from Hitler. It was staffed by conscripting males (not even older than I am and I'm 18) 16 and 60 years old who weren't already serving in some type of military unit as part of a German Home Guard.

That's the end of this week folks, that's it for this weeks video and I hope to see everyone in the next update!
P.S.

Don't forget to bayonet that vote button!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

335 0 19
Based on Red Dawn and Homefront Sypnosis China Invades India and Attacks Bangladesh.Philippines and Asia in Civil War with Muslim and Communist Reb...
Paragon By Cat

Science Fiction

442 8 32
COMPLETED, IN THE PROCESS OF EDITING To our creators, it was a simple plan. They would send us in, wait for us to take out the Prime Order Director...
1.7K 79 20
Life had been a little difficult recently. Anytime you walked by, the neighbors would whisper and gossip about the "failure" of your father. It seeme...
162 1 11
In a Word War 2 type of scenario, the allies have been driven to the west coast of the US, and the Axis have nearly won! But amongst all the chaos, o...