The Light of Elysium

By MayaR-31

Book 1 (complete) - Veterinary student Elle wants to travel, but she doesn't plan on getting pulled into a ma... More

Author's note
Prologue
1 - Dreams
2 - The Journey Begins
3 - Not in Kansas anymore
4 - Kingdom under the Mountains
5 - No way home
6 - A New Partnership
7 - A dark encounter
8 - Did someone yell for a hero
9 - Down by the lake
11 - The Rainbow Isles
12 - Queen's Conquest
13 - Lammas Festival
14 - Lord of the Emerald Isle
15 - Ill met by Moonlight
16 - Agape
17 - Amongst the trees
18 - Equinox
19 - Capture
20 - Lord Nero
21 - Glimmer in the dark
22 - My sweet
#31CreepyWords
23 - Leap of Faith
24 - Flight
25 - White Water
26 - Fearful symmetry
27 - Company of wolves
28 - Falling
29 - Arcadia
30 - A new dawn
31 - Mr Sullen, Mr Mischief & Mr Silent
32 - Green does not become you
33 - Battlelines
34 - Storm
35 - The wild hunt
36 - Temptation
37 - Whiplash
38 - The Chase
39 - The white knight
40 - Mid-Winter Ball
41 - Promises
42 - The Prophecy
43 - The element of air
44 - Home is where the heart is
45 - Destiny calling
46 - Icarus
47 - Journey by night
48 - A face from the past
49 - Aldebaran
50 - Trial of the White Queen
51 - Sleep, perchance to dream
52 - Lair of the Dark King
53 - Dark dreams
54 - Dark games
55 - Winter's embrace
56 - The Ice Queen and the King of Sin
57 - Politics
58 - A truth uncovered
59 - Back from the edge
60 - Muse
61 - Quandary
62 - Night under the stars
63 - Bound in blood
64 - A rolling stone
65 - Waiting for a hero
66 - Pride and Prejudice
67 - Sensibility
68 - Bedouin Night
69 - Flashpoint
70 - Reunion
71 - Denial
72 - Dreams
73 - A fire kindled
74 - Touched by a Goddess
75 - Ostara
76 - The fire within
77 - Options
78 - An inescapable fate
79 - Point of no return
80 - Bereft
81 - Journey's end
Characters/Cast List
The Queen of Elysium - sneak peek

10 - Dance of the sun and the moon

9.2K 587 197
By MayaR-31

(Darish's PoV)

I am helpless to intervene as Zane pulls Elle into the water and she seems to have some sort of panic attack. He quickly gets her back out again and supports her as she coughs up lake water.

Her first words are, "Zane, please tell me you have some clothes on."

"Would it be a problem if I did not?" he responds.

"I think I am already traumatised enough."

That glimmer of humour has me relieved that she is going to be alright. I wrap a towel around myself and thrust one into Zane's hands, then kneel beside Elle and drape another around her shoulders.

I search her eyes and am saddened by the pain I detect. "You have seen too much death for one so young."

"He was too young to die," she says and bursts into tears.

She buries her head against my chest and I look to Zane for guidance, for he is far better at comforting females than I. He gestures encouragingly and I tentatively put my arms around her. Somehow it feels right. I find it safer not to let people get to close and wonder how this girl has slipped so easily under my defenses.

She pulls away slightly and wipes her eyes. "I'm sorry. You are probably regretting taking me on."

Zane puts one arm around me and the other around her to form a loose circle. "That is foolish talk. We three are partners now."

She gives him a weak smile of gratitude, which morphs to an expression of horror at the sight of the scratch marks on his shoulders. "Did I do that?"

"Worry not, I heal fast," Zane responds with a wink. "Until then I will say that they are from a night of passion."

She pokes him in the chest. "Just so that we are crystal clear. I am very grateful to you, but I will never be that grateful."

I smile to myself. Could we have found the one female that is immune to his charms?

Once I am clothed, I unwind my wet bandage and examine the wound on my arm. It is still raw, but the skin is already starting to knit together. Like all elves, I heal quickly, but this is fast, even for me.

"I hope that it doesn't scar too badly," Elle says and gently applies the salve that the healer gave me.

My skin tingles at her touch and I wonder if she has healing magic. There is little time to ponder her abilities, for Zane waves a rolled up map at us and calls out, "Elle, do you want to see our route around the Rainbow Isles? We will spend a little over two moon touring the islands and selling our wares in the markets. There are eight islands in total; seven orbiting the central one."

At her eager smile, he rolls out the map and weighs down the corners. He touches a finger to each island and gives a little commentary.

"Our first stop will be the Amber Isle. It is famous for ceramics, which are renowned throughout the realm of Elysium.

"Then we will go to the Citrine Isle, which is a mainly an agricultural island. They have some great restaurants and there is also an active leather trade.

"Next is the Sapphire Isle, which is a large and beautiful island with many lakes. It is one of Roth's favourites.

"Then we go to the central Diamond Isle, which is the heart of the kingdom and its administrative centre. We will be there in time for the Lammas Festival so will spend longer there.

"We will move onto the Lapis Isle, which is the smallest island and filled with groves of mulberry trees. The silks are particularly sought after by the elves. Then the Amethyst Isle, which is the kingdom's spiritual and healing centre.

"And our final stop is the Ruby Isle. It is a large mountainous island, rich with metal ores. They have some very fine blacksmiths and craftsmen, although personally I do not think that you can beat the dwarves for weaponry."

She frowns. "Wait, aren't we missing out one of the islands?"

I smile to myself and watch Zane squirm. "Ah, well I am not sure about visiting the Emerald Isle."

"Why not?"

I cannot resist stirring. "Yes, why Zane? Pray tell."

"I am not exactly welcome there." Zane glares at me and decisively rolls up the map, effectively closing the discussion.

.....

Once we have consumed our evening meal, Zane leans back against Roth and glances up at the crescent moon. "Leonis's moon is waning. Next is my favourite time of the solar; Lovers moon."

Elle evidently has the measure of him and queries, "A busy time for you by any chance?"

Zane just laughs amiably and says that Roth has requested a song. She volunteers to go first. As an elf I have sensitive ears, yet I need not have worried. Her sweet voice rises into the night's sky; each tone of fine quality.

Zane leans forward. "You know, there is a theatre in the capital city of Avalon. If you ever tire of travelling with us you could consider a job there."

"When I was younger I did want to be a professional singer, but then..." She stops and once again I see pain swirling in her eyes. "Well, I got older and decided to spend my life helping others. I chose animals as they can't help themselves."

Next it is my time to sing. I chose one of my favourite songs; it is a duet really but I just sing the male part. When I get to the part where the female voice should come in Elle hums the correct counter harmony. Goosebumps flash across my skin and I cease singing.

She smiles innocently at me. "I haven't found anyone who knows this tune. I did begin to wonder if I dreamed it up. What is it?"

I stare at her dumbfounded until Zane elbows me in the ribs. "It is called 'dance of the sun and the moon' and is a love song about the sun and the moon, caught in a celestial dance, but rarely sharing the same sky."

What I do not say is that it is an elven song and that there is no way she could possibly have heard it, unless perhaps my fears of her elven heritage are correct. But if so, how did she end up in another world?

"Elle..." I stop, the name just does not resonate properly. "Is that truly your given name?"

"Well, actually it is Elissa, but I have gone by Elle for years now."

"Elissa. Elissa." I test out the sound of her name on my tongue and nod satisfied for it resonates perfectly. "Yes, we must address you as Elissa from now on. I..." I hesitate. "I am terribly sorry to intrude, but I need to enquire about your parents."

Her breath hitches and she stares at her hands. "I-I do not know my birth parents. I was found under an oak tree only a few hours old."

She is a foundling. My heart aches for her and I feel bad for pressing what is obviously a very distressful topic for her. "Do you have any indications of your origins?"

She silently rises and disappears into the tent. When she finally comes back, she kneels before me and stares intently into my eyes. There is a glossy sheen to her eyes, which make me think that she has been crying. I feel a stirring in my soul and I hold her gaze, relaying without words that I will do all I can to deserve her trust.

With trembling hands she places a silver necklace and a folded piece of parchment in my lap, explaining, "I was found with these."

I pick up the necklace by its delicate silver chain and examine the locket pendant which has an intricate carving of the elven tree of life. It is very fine craftsmanship and each of the seven boughs is studded with tiny diamonds.

Carefully opening the catch, I uncover a miniature painting of a young woman's face. Her wavy brown hair and soft features mark her as decidedly not elven and I am uncertain whether to be relieved or not.. I pass it to Zane, who shakes his head. He does not recognise her either.

I unfold the parchment, it is thick and good quality. Zane and I bend our heads together to read the words.

My darling daughter, Elissa.

Please forgive me, for this is the hardest thing I have ever had to do.

You are in mortal danger, so I must give you unto another to care for.

Please, my darling, believe me that for no other reason than your protection would I do this. Already, though you are not yet an hour old, you mean more than the whole realm to me.

My wish is that you will always be loved.

I will hold you forevermore in my heart.

This girl is a mystery, but I have a feeling deep in my soul that the Great Mother sent her to us for a reason.

I take both her hands in mine. "Elissa, this may be little comfort to you, but your name means from Elysium. I believe that the unicorn has brought you home."

----------------------------------
AN: My casting choice for Darish is Miles McMillan
Elle/Elissa is one of the few ladies immune to Zane.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

274 1 16
This is a preview for my full length novel. You can see the monster behind his eyes, the dragon that shares his soul. Dahlia makes people nervous. Gi...
307 20 24
When Phoebe is woken up by James, the boy she's been crushing on since she can remember, she's surprised to find him in a panic. His sister Kara is m...
3M 241K 60
After fulfilling an Unbreakable Promise, Claire finally accepts her new life in Dragonwall. She has discovered a new purpose--one she created for her...
92.8K 4K 37
Book 1. If there was a way to forget all the horrible things life had done to you. A way to get away from the people who made you miserable day after...