Healer

By AliciaMarino

Two very different worlds. Two very different men. And one woman who has to choose between the life that sh... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34

Chapter 6

6.7K 525 21
By AliciaMarino

"Have you no regard for timing?" Symon says angrily, shutting the door to his room behind us firmly. "I said dinner!"

"I know, I'm sorry," I whisper.

"We were practically done with our food. I looked incompetent to my uncle!"

"He isn't your uncle," I breathe bravely, closing my eyes, my back to him.

There's a moment of silence. "What?"

"He isn't your uncle, Symon... Do you even remember your family? Your real family? The mother you loved?"

"Of course I do."

"Do you miss her?"

"I do. Although, unlike you, I've grasped what my life is now! That the life I had is not mine anymore. I like my life here!"

I turn. "And I'm not allowed to complain? To let you in on what this has been like for me? Is that what you're saying?"

"I mean, you can, but much damn good it's going to do! You need to accept this."

"Accept you, you mean?"

He presses his lips together angrily. "There are plenty of women who would happily be with me, Gillian. You should just consider yourself lucky I'm offering this. I'm offering to make you a lady."

"Offering... You're offering?"

He smiles, with fury. "And I can take it back."

"You've already told the clan," I seethe, as he steps closer to me.

"I'm sure they wouldna mind me going back on this promise... I've had you. Don't forget that."

My heart runs cold. "Are you threatening me?"

He removes his belt, dropping it and his sword onto the bed. "It would seem so."

I stare at him, my vision blurred. "You wouldn't."

"I would and it would be in your best interest to shut up and deal with this. I'm sick of having to talk about this. I feel like it's becoming a goddamn chore."

"You're an asshole!" I shout. "This! This is why I'm scared to speak to you about anything! Why I can't tell you anything! You don't listen!"

"Tell me what you want to tell me."

"No."

"Yes."

"You won't like it," I clarify, teeth gritted tightly together.

"So be it!"

Breathing uneven, I stare up into his eyes, at his dare to push this further and hesitate. "We're just angry... Let's just- cool down and talk tomorrow."

"No, you started this shit, Gillian. I won't sleep unless you tell me."

I look at him, blinking evenly. "Symon."

"Lachlan! Jesus Christ, how many times do I have to fucking tell you that?!" he booms, igniting the fire in my heart.

My eyes slim. "Alright? You know what? Lachlan, you're a jerk! You have been since I gave you my virginity and if I'd known, I absolutely wouldn't have. I'm scared- I've been scared every damn day since we arrived here and you don't care! You don't! And the worst part is-" I laugh, now completely losing it, despite the rigidness of his body, "I'm supposed to hold my tongue because Greer told me to! She told my you'd hurt me! That you're a violent man, that it's in your blood! That you will always hurt me, because you just can't fucking help it!"

And it happens. It's like a flash of lightning, so bright, so strong it blinds my vision for a few moments. His fist connects with my cheek in one, numbing landing and I stumble back, tripping over my own feet until I feel my back against the stone floor.

My eyelids blink rapidly and I try to unlock my jaw. When I do, a sound of protest escapes as the pain shocks me. I had no idea it would feel like this. Through the tears of pain but mostly shock, I watch him, still rigid, bend before me, pointing his long, slender finger towards my face.

"You've imagined me a violent man? Well, there you go! You've got him!"

I shrink back as his face, red and bulgy, transforms into a man I don't know. His teeth, white and brilliant, grit together as his eyes travel over my features slowly. I stare at him evenly, breathing in and out, unwilling to tempt him to come at me again but also unwilling to give him the satisfaction of looking like a deer in headlights.

I want him to know what he's done.

He turns and bounds for the door. When I hear it slam behind him, I lift my hand to my face, gasping. The skin is sensitive and already swelling. My heart flutters in fear at the thought of being here when he gets back so I scramble off the floor and sprint for the door.

Out of breath and still trembling, I shut the door to my room, pressing my back against it.

Greer was right. She was right. He is a violent man. I never knew how much so until today... This is what my life will be like. In a constant fear and worry. With Symon, I'll never be able to have a voice. I'll never have even a piece of a life I've dreamed of, where I'm regarded as something other than a obligation.

My feet shuffle forward and before I realize it, I'm packing whatever I can into bag. I don't have much but I can't stay here. I won't subject myself to this for the rest of my life.

I hear loud, scattered footsteps suddenly, coming from down the hall and freeze. Shit. In a hurry, I stuff the items under the bed and stand up straight just as my door opens, with no knock, revealing Symon.

I swallow, sticking my chin out stubbornly and maintain eye contact with him although a part of me wants to try to run past him, escape out the front door. His eyes are calmed- still wild but calmer, nonetheless. I let out a sound of panic, turning my face towards the ground quickly when MacCallan walks in behind him, dressed in only his shirt and breeches. I don't look up, even when he's before me.

"Lass, let's get a look at ye," he murmurs, lifting my chin softly. I meet his eyes hesitantly and know I'm unable to hide- my emotions are apparent on my face. His dark brows turn down and he gestures me to sit on the bed, setting down his medicinal box, turning to Symon.

"Who did this to her?"

Symon, arms crossed and defiant, utters, "He's been dealt with."

"Dealt with how? The lass has had a fierce jab to her face!"

"Can ye help her or not, Mackenzie?" Symon growls, unwilling to back down from his place of leadership, exaggerated accent and all. "We announced our engagement tonight. She needs to be healed tonight."

"Well, that just cannot be done. She'll have bruising- it will be even worse in the morn."

Symon's mouth connects in anger. "So, there's nothing to do."

Callan bends down before me, grazing my swollen face with his fingers. The gesture is so sweet that I have to look away from him towards the dirty ground, overcome. He sighs, nodding. "I do have something I can offer her but it's in my study. I thought this would be a minor cut or something of the sort."

"Aye, well, go get it and come back."

I swallow, lifting my head, finding Callan still staring at me. He nods, without looking back. "Aye. I'll be back."

Standing straight, he's not as tall as Symon, nor as built, but he's calculated and intense. I feel the breath leave my lungs as he moves past Symon slowly, keeping his eyes on him the entire stride, rather bravely.

When he's gone, my gaze flickers from the door to Symon's unfeeling features.

"The man's got a warm feelin' towards you," he states, coldly.

"I wonder you went through the trouble of getting him," I mutter in a low voice. He breathes in deeply and blinks.

"I shouldn't have hit you."

"No. You shouldn't have but you did, Symon. You punched me in the goddamn face!"

"... I'm sorry."

It's too late for that. "I don't want to marry you."

"I'm sorry you feel that way," he answers, blankly. I feel my face contort.

"Symon, please."

"I never want to hear you call me that again, Gillian! My name is Lachlan and any person I was before is in the past. As for marriage, you will marry me."

"You don't even want me!"

"I want you more than anything," he growls. "It's the reason I've done this! Why I'm willing to protect a woman who-who doesn't want me back! Who's never wanted me back!"

Tight-lipped, I stare at him with rage. "Your version of protection is rather unorthodox, Lachlan."

He purses his lips, nodding. "Sleep. Get your rest. We'll be married by the weeks end, Gillian and then you'll really understand what living in this life will be like."

I move back as he moves forward, reaching down for me swiftly. I yelp when he sets me onto my feet and plants his lips over mine, brutally, ignoring my sound of distain. He pulls back after a moment, eyes still closed and hums.

"One day, I'll kiss you like that and you won't even think to hesitate."

"I doubt that," I answer stubbornly, pushing him back. Smirking, he turns and exits just as fast as he came, leaving me staring at the door in a daze.

My life has quickly turned into a nightmare- within minutes, really.

I walk to the mirror on the vanity in the corner of the room and feel my lips tremble terribly upon the sight of my red, extended skin.

"It willnae stay like that for long," I hear Callan suddenly utter softly. Unsure as to how long it's been, I turn and find him standing in the doorway. "Swollen, I mean."

I nod, smiling softly. "I hope not. It's going to bruise though?"

"Aye. T'was a fair blow." He clears his throat, awkwardly and enters into the room, surprising me when he closes it behind him. At this time of night, it would be considered improper to be found behind closed doors together. At this point though, I could honestly care less.

This is the safest I've felt all day- with him.

"Please, take a seat. I've got some things that may help ye," he whispers, coming up by the vanity. I sit down, chuckling softly.

"Seems you're helping me a lot these days."

"Aye, ye may want to choose more wisely who you spend you're time with."

"Some things cannot be helped," I whisper, staring ahead as he settles an ointment onto my face softly. I grimace but remain quiet, breathing deeply.

"Who hurt ye?" he finally says, quieter.

"If I told you I couldn't tell you?" I whisper breathlessly.

"Is that what you're tellin' me?"

I meet his gaze and nod. His lips turn down then and he shakes his head. "Then... I would tell ye that you've already told me, without knowin' it."

He moves his thumb softly over the skin beneath my eye, staring into them deeply. The air prickles around us, our faces inches from the other and I let out a breath of uncertainty as his hand moves to grab a strand of my hair.

Tucking it behind my ear, he then caresses the skin of my throat, swallowing when he grips the nape of my neck softly.

We've gone past friendship without words.

I close my eyes as tears well up in my eyes. "I'm scared."

He straightens slowly, raising me with him as well. When I move against him, tucking my face into his shirt, I feel the breath leave him as he holds me to his body, resting his cheek against my hair.

"I've wanted to do this since I first met ye," he whispers, sounding unsure of himself. I pull back, resting my hands onto his shirt gently. He's hard and toned beneath my fingers, the body of a man who's labors have shaped him into what he is.

"Me too."

"You're to be wed," he whispers, swallowing. His light eyes tremble with uncertainty.

"I don't want him, Callan."

"Does he know that?"

"Yes. It's why he's so angry."

His eyes flicker over my battered features and he shakes his head, releasing a breath. "We cannae do this, Gillian."

I feel empty when he backs up, resting his hands onto his hips. "Then let's leave together. Come with me. I have to leave here. I can't marry him."

"Ye have to. You will never survive on your own."

Desperate, I try again. "Then, take me away from here."

"They'd find us. I'm a known man in the highlands."

I feel a sinking in my gut and I turn so he won't see the tears rising into my eyes from fear. "I know... I'm sorry. I shouldn't even be saying this to you. Shouldn't be asking this of you."

The room fills with silence but he speaks again, softly. "I would- if I thought- if I could. I'm employed here though. Not to mention, your intended is rather powerful in status."

I nod, wiping my tears, unable to turn around. "I know."

"I'm so sorry, lass," he replies, inching forward when I turn around. I nod, taking a step back away from him.

"It's not your fault." Defensive, I cross my arms over my chest and nod. "Thank you- for the medicine. I'm... feeling pretty tired."

"Aye," he breathes. "Aye, I understand... Well, I'll come- check on ye tomorrow."

Embarrassed, I smile awkwardly. "There isn't a need. I'll be fine, really."

"I'd like to see that you're well, just the same. I will be by tomorrow..." He grabs his things and stares down at me, clearing his throat. He turns then, shaking his head and makes his way for the door. 

"Good night, Gillian." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

600K 24K 71
After dying in a tragic accident, Rhianne found herself transmigrated in a novel world as a character. To her much disappointment, she became the cha...
13.3K 134 7
[SAMPLE] FULL VERSION AVAILABLE ON AMAZON "I shall always love you, my dear bairn. Remember that, no matter what happens. And you must promise me som...
1.4K 3 18
In 1945 Claire comes back from the war and finds out about some terrible things. Again and again she sees it happening. Out of anger she leaves to a...
207K 6.6K 73
Delaney James has it all: a handsome husband who just made partner at his law firm, a gorgeous townhouse in NYC's Upper East Side, and a blossoming c...