Faithless

Galing kay LaurenJ22

After Faith's father decides to return back to his work at the mines, her world changes. She is left to live... Higit pa

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
MERRY CHRISTMAS! 🎄🎄🎄
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four (FINAL CHAPTER)
Epilogue

Chapter Sixteen

34.1K 1.4K 347
Galing kay LaurenJ22

--------------------

"Life always offers you a second chance. It's called tomorrow." - Anonymous.

Dedication: TheGreatDance for the awesome cover!

Recap:

"Hi, Gran," he choked out, his voice sounding hoarse.

I whipped my head towards him, surprised at the vulnerability in his tone.  His eyes were watery and his cheeks tinged pink. Swallowing uneasily, I followed his gaze, forcing a polite smile on my face.

Slowly, she turned her head to us. Her gaze was soft, but something in her eyes weren't right. She looked... distant. Sudden realisation dawned on me and I felt this morning's unpleasant sickness hit me in full force.

"Sorry, who are you?"

-----------------------

The last hour had been intense.

We'd only stayed with Ivy for about twenty minutes, as she didn't know who we were and it was making her very agitated. We decided to just leave.

Xavier rushed outside, taking in a huge gulp of air. Slowly wandering out the doors behind him, I peered up at him uneasily, unsure of what to do.

"She's getting worse," he said breathlessly, tugging at his shirt as though the collar was the reason he couldn't get air flow to his lungs.

"Alzheimer's is a bitch." my voice was bland and I winced at my emotionless tone.

He didn't respond. He turned his back to me, pressing his hand to his lips. My stomach clenched uncomfortably. I was not the right person for this. I was far too inconsiderate to be compassionate. Feeling awkward, I placed a light hand on his shoulder.

Without any warning, he spun around and engulfed my body into a rib-breaking hug. I gasped in surprise. He clutched me tightly and I couldn't breathe. His touch melted my cold exterior almost immediately. The feeling of his skin, pressed against mine, had me softening. With a moment of hesitation, I gripped him back. I wormed my face into the crook of his neck. My hot breath rebounded off his skin, fanning my face.

"How am I supposed to help her?" he mumbled into me, sounding hopeless. "She did so much for me and now I have to watch her forget everything. And I can't do anything about it."

"Shh," I said soothingly, having no words of comfort.

He made a funny sound in the back of his throat and somehow gripped me tighter. I really was finding it hard to breathe, but I didn't want to move. I felt like he was close to crumbling to a million pieces and I was the only thing holding him up.

Silence fell between us. I'm not sure how long we stayed like that, but it must have been a while. My muscles began cramping and my feet ached. I just wanted to go home. I'd signed up for a lot today without realising. But I'm glad I was here for him. It sounds like he hasn't had anyone there for him for a long time.

"Let's go," he murmured finally.

Reluctantly pulling out of his arms, I stepped back, my cheeks feeling hot. I'm not used to comforting people. He reached for my hand and my eyes almost popped out of their sockets. We walked slowly back to my car, hand in hand. I kept staring down at our fingers intertwined, still confused.

What did this all mean?

As I slid into the car, my stomach growled with hunger. Slapping my head to my stomach sheepishly, Xavier gave me a small smile. It didn't quite reach his eyes.

"Hungry?"

I nodded, slipping the seat belt over my chest. "Want to get some lunch on the way home?"

"Sure," he shrugged, turning his gaze to the window.

There was a tension I can't quite describe between us. It made the air feel stiff and thick. Running my tongue across my teeth, I began driving, having no idea where to go.

"There's a really good hamburger place in the main street," Xavier offered finally, seeing as I had done three laps of the main block, trying to find somewhere. "I usually have lunch there."

"Okay," I replied, my voice small.

Would have been helpful to say that ten minutes ago.

Finally finding a park in somewhat of a close distance to the burger joint, we piled out of the car. It was a small shop but it was warm and cosy. One step in, the people at the tables, reading newspapers looked up, offering a friendly smile. The people behind the counter jostled forward, eager to serve. A smile slowly stretched across my face. It was nice to be reminded of people who actually want to help you.

Xavier straight away rattled off his order and I panicked, not having even looked at the menu. Darting my eyes to the left, I read what the special of the day was.

"Er- a chicken schnitzel burger, thanks," I said after her prompt.

I went to grab my wallet, but Xavier just shook his head.

"I can pay for my own meal, Xavier," I said, my tone curt.

He met eyes with me. "I know, but you drove."

"Doesn't matter," I argued, trying to get around him so I could pay.

The lady chuckled. "Lover's quarrel?"

I stiffened and Xavier didn't miss a beat. "Yes," he laughed, glancing at me briefly, before looking back at her. "She's stubborn. Can never just let me pay."

The lady laughed again, her cheeks rosy. He paid and swiped our drinks from the bench. I glowered at him. He didn't have to pay and he didn't have to lie. We weren't in a relationship, why did he say we were? I guess it would have been awkward to do the whole, "oh, we're actually not together..." thing, but still. Did he want to be in a relationship?

I was definitely overthinking this, as usual.

"Yes?" he asked with a sigh. "What's your problem now?"

"I could have paid," I said quietly, my thoughts processing at such a fast pace, I couldn't control how strong my voice came out.

"I know."

Ignoring him, I collapsed heavily onto the wooden chair. I leant onto the table and scrutinised Xavier for a moment. He obviously was in distress, but he had so easily talked to the lady in there as though he didn't have a care in the world. I wonder how many times he had charismatically spoke to me and acted so cocky, when in fact, he was actually not okay? I wonder if I had been unable to see through his mask for some time now.

"What are you looking at?" he asked me.

"Just trying to figure you out, Xavier," I said honestly.

"Don't waste your time," he said. His tone was light and joking, but his eyes said the opposite.

We sat in silence for a few moments. I distractedly ate my food, deep in thought.

"Where's your brother?" I blurted, unable to keep quiet any longer.

"Hmm?" Xavier asked, dragging his eyes from the newspaper in front of us.

"Your brother?" I repeated, my eyes glued to his. "Where is he?"

He cast his eyes back down, his face going stony. "Still with my stepdad."

"Do you ever talk to him?" I asked, extremely curious.

"No."

"Why not?"

"Look, Faith," he sighed, flicking the page of the newspaper a little too aggressively. "He isn't someone you will ever meet. Let's just drop it."

That only made me even more curious. Nodding slowly, I continued eating the rest of my lunch in silence.

In telling me all this, he only left more unanswered questions.

I was going to find out, one way or another.

***

"What did you do this weekend?" Brooklyn asked me, sticking a pen behind her ear as she rummaged through her locker. "I felt like I hardly saw you - except at pres."

"Um," I said, chewing my lip and refusing to look her in the eye. "I hooked up with Xavier at Herold's."

"You what!?" she shrieked, dropping her text book. Eyes swivelled our way and I ducked, swooping up her history book. "You're kidding, right?"

"No and keep your voice down!" I hissed, shoving the book back in her locker. "It sort of just... happened."

"So he is what you dressed up for," she teased, her vivid green eyes staring into mine like to big laser beams. "How was it?"

"Good," I muttered.

"I knew it," she grinned. "You're so into him! Oh my god!"

"Shut up," I groaned, pressing my forehead against the cool metal.

"Is it awkward now?" she questioned and from my peripheral vision, I noticed she cocked her head to the left.

"Yes and no. We went and visited his nan together on Sunday. He told me some things about himself, like deep stuff. I don't know what we are. I don't know if I even want a relationship. It's confusing."

"Yeah, it is," she agreed, finally finding what she needed, before slamming the door shut with more force than necessary. "But you're smart. You'll figure it out. Just try not to over think it."

"Would I do that?"

She answered me with a sidelong glance.

With a sigh, we parted ways and I made my way to my next class. I saw her shimmering blonde hair and my veins filled with dread. I tried to side step her but she was intent on getting in my way. I let out a deep sigh through my nose.

"Faith," she smiled. It was completely fake and I wanted to wipe it off her face with my bare hands.

"Megan," I spat, my voice slightly hoarse.

What have I done wrong to deserve having to encounter her?

My life had been reasonably peaceful without having to speak to her. That was about to end.

"Have you heard?" I could hardly focus on her words, but instead, the large hickey slashed across her skin. It had my teeth grinding. "Jacob is with me now."

"Are you expecting a congratulations for having my sloppy seconds?" I asked her, my voice icy and distinctly monotone.

She flinched, her eyes narrowing, obviously not having expected that. Of course not, she's an idiot, so that makes sense.

"We both know that you only wanted him because he was with me. Don't pretend like you even like him because let's face it, he's an asshole. So really, you're gaining nothing by being with him. If this is some sick way of yours to try and hurt me, I want you to know it's failed. I don't give a shit about you or him and the fact that you're with him actually makes me happy because you're as much of an evil, backstabbing liar as he is. You're perfect for each other." My breath was coming out fast and the words were falling out of my mouth at a rapid pace. Megan brought my uncaged fury out faster than anyone else could. Just one look at her made me want to lie down with a squeeze ball pressed into my palm. "So, please, just piss off."

She actually took a step back from me. I didn't realise that I had actually come towards her. My cheeks felt hot but my eyes were cold. I hoped I was threatening. I felt like I was. She knows if she pushes me, I respond physically. Is she really that thick to try it again? She must be more of an idiot than I originally thought, which is saying something.

Shouldering around her, I began marching down the corridor, trying my hardest to just walk away. I made it about five steps, before her words made me pause.

"Maybe it isn't Jacob I should be going for."

Her words were quiet, but I heard them loud and clear. My spine stiffened. I didn't turn. I just stopped. I squeezed my eyes shut, forcing myself to count to ten in my head.

She's doing this to mess with you. Just keep walking. Ignore her.

I kept repeating in my head to walk away.

"I think Xavier is more my type, anyway, don't you think?"

I'm surprised I didn't snap a tooth, my teeth ground that hard together. My hands were balled into fists at my side, my lips pressed into a thin line.

I really did try to take the highroad.

Slowly, I spun to face her. My voice was low and eerily calm, considering the situation. I often battled to control my emotions, when it came to her.

"What did you say?"

"Oh," she smirked, her eyes lighting up with satisfaction. "Did I hit a nerve?"

"What did you say?" I ground out, coming towards her again.

"I said, Xavier is more my-" She couldn't even finish her sentence before I lunged at her.

How dare she. She already took my boyfriend before. She can't have Xavier. I won't let her.

After the constant direct and indirect bullying she forced me to endure at the beginning of high school and to have an affair with my first boyfriend, you think she would just leave me alone. But she just kept pushing me.

I shouldn't have responded because that's what she wanted. She only ever goes out of her to upset me. Well, she did and I'm pissed.

My hands connected with her shoulders and I injected as much force as I could into the shove. She stumbled back, reaching out and gripping my wrist. We fell together. But my reflexes were faster than hers. I landed somehow quite elegantly as she fell hard onto the cement floor, her head hitting it with a nauseating crack.

I struck my hand out, punching her straight in the nose. The satisfying snap was pleasure to my ears. Oh yeah, I'd heard it before. But this felt better than the last punch I threw her way, as being in the position, I could have more force in it.

Desperately, I wanted her to feel pain. I wanted her to feel the pain she has made me feel before. Seeing as I'm not as evil and twisted as she is, I can't emotionally damage her like she so easily has done to me. I have to resort to something I know well.

Violence.

My first punch obviously hadn't done the trick.

I hadn't realised I was still punching, until blood was smeared across her face. I couldn't stop. I gripped a fistful of her hair, ripping her head towards me. She let out a cry and I brought her to close eye level with me.

"Don't touch him," I growled. "Or I will kill you."

Who knew I was the possessive type?

My breathing was ragged. My arms were trembling. All I could see was red. All I could feel was white, hot, anger pulsing in my veins.

"FAITH!" I heard a voice bellow and I let her go. She fell back with a thud.

I had no idea who it was and I didn't care. My sole focus was hurting Megan as much as she's hurt me. Suddenly, I was reefed backwards. I was flung onto my back, my eyes meeting the white, bare ceiling. I had to squint, due to the bright lights. In the back of my mind, it registered that I should be feeling some sort of pain, but the adrenaline coursing through my veins was enough to overpower it.

Hastily, I got to my knees, reaching for her again. She was motionless on the ground. She wasn't even trying to get away. Why wasn't she fighting?

With a loud grunt, the person pulled me to my feet. I met the dark eyes of my ex boyfriend.

He was seriously not the person to be here right now. A growl tore from my throat and I struck my hand out, hitting his forehead with such intensity, it knocked him off his feet. I grinned in satisfaction. My body had completely reacted faster than my mind, but I didn't regret my decision in hitting him.

I heard the click-clack of high heels. I spun, my chest rising and falling. A girl, I didn't recognise stood there, looking completely horrified.

She looked a little older than me. She must be doing work experience or something. She dropped her book. Turning, she quickly went inside the closest door and I heard the tick that it locked.

What was she so afraid of?

I suppose I probably do look pretty insane, right now. I grimaced as I knew she would be contacting the office.

The sound of Jacob's cry brought me back to the present. I stared down at him, as he rubbed his head.

"Jesus," he muttered slowly getting to his feet. "That was solid."

"Get the hell away from me," I hissed venomously.

"Faith," he said slowly, putting his hands out like I was some rabid animal. I wanted to laugh at the novelty of it. "Stop. You need to stop. Look what you've done."

I blinked for a second. What did he mean?

"Look," he insisted. "Look."

Somehow managing to drag my eyes from his, they latched onto Megan, who was sprawled on the floor. I blinked again, my vision suddenly not quite as blurry as it was mere moments ago. I stared down at my hands. They were puffy and covered in a coat of her blood.

I stared at them, feeling slightly detached from my body. I staggered back, blinking furiously, trying to get a handle on what the hell I just did.

Jacob was down on his knees, trying to see if Megan was okay. She began moaning dramatically, clutching at her face. I swallowed, my saliva feeling thick in my throat.

I tried to remember, I tried to focus, I tried to recall something but all I could feel was rage. It was slowly ebbing away and it took my memory with it.

"Faith." I recognised the principal's voice, causing me to flinch. I'd heard it many times before. I almost wanted to roll my eyes. "Come with me."

Just great.

---------------

Muahaha I love fight scenes. Like so much.

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

83 0 6
After experiencing the ultimate tragedy, Grace finds herself uprooted from her familiar surroundings and forced to move across the country to live wi...
6.8K 140 26
When Elizabeth James was taken away from her home town six years ago in the back of a police car she never imagine she'd ever come back. But when she...
41.9K 766 31
(NOT FULLY EDITED) Madison has dealt with abuse and heart ache her whole life thinking that it was what she deserved. First her parents then her boyf...
5.1K 853 36
After the tragic loss of his mother, Rylie Collins returns to his hometown for his freshman year, only to find himself struggling to cope with grief...