In My Eyes

By WritingAvengerA113

BOOK 2 OF THE JESSI STARK SERIES. "Life is tough my darling, but so are you" What's next in her life as the... More

Ch•1- If only You would Listen
Ch•2- Foreign
Ch•3- Don't let Go
Ch•4- The Worm Hole
Ch•5- Holiday greeting
Ch•6- A Missile
Ch•7- Pompeii
NOT AN UPDATE
Ch•9- Destined to be Alone
Ch•10- Not Menacing Enough?
Ch•11- Jokes
Ch•12- Back Stabbing
Ch•13- A Maniac
Ch•14- Like a Monster
Ch•15- It's not my Fault
Ch•16- Rubble
Ch•17- Strange
Ch•18- Paris
Ch•19- End Credit Scene
Ch•20- Just you
Ch•1- The Carnival
Ch•2- Blueish
Ch•4- Strings
Ch•5- The Endgame
Ch•6- Good old days
Ch•7- Mindless Killing Machine
Ch•8- Not my Place
Ch•9- Multiplying
Ch•10- Common Sense
Ch•11- I am.
Ch•12- My Purpose
Ch•13- You can do all Things
Ch•14- Shining Armor
Ch•15- Together
Ch•16- Bye
Ch•17- Never Ending
Ch•18- Change
Ch•19- Connected
Ch•20- Imminent
Civil War: Ch•1- Tarzan & Jane
Ch•2- Reality
Ch•3- Murals
Ch•4- September
Ch•5- Vigilante
Ch•6- Put in Check
Ch•7- Fall Apart
Ch•8- The Prince
Ch•9- Bucky Barnes
Ch•10- Framed
Ch•11- Accidents
Ch•12- The Gem
Ch•14- Spiderling
Ch•15- Strong Enough
Ch•16- United We Stand
Ch•17- Divided we Fall
Ch•18- The Greatest Failure
Ch•19- A Dark Shadow
Ch•20- Graces
Ch•21- Cool tricks
Ch•22- Stormtroopers
Ch•23- Blue
Ch•24- 1991
Ch•25- Snow
Ch•26- The Mountain
Ch•27- Forever
Ch•28- End Credit Scene.
:)
The Disappearence of Jessica Stark

Ch•3- Overly Calm

13.9K 511 94
By WritingAvengerA113

        I stood in front of the mirror on my dresser, staring down at the old letter. I had on my thigh length, sparkling black dress. The chest and back were made of lace, and around the sides of my torso was also more lace. The rest was pitch black, and I added pink heels and lipstick for a pinch of color. My hair was in its normal curly style, with a small little bun added loosely on the back of my head. Pepper had total control of my outfit tonight.

        I didn't feel like dressing up for a party that I didn't care about. Parties just aren't my thing anymore. They never really were to begin with. At least my avenger friends would be there for the entirety of it.

       For the millionth time, I was reading the letter that my Mom wrote to me. She knew at some point that she was going to die. I mean, we all are, but it's like she knew when and where. Being a SHIELD Agent, you just know those things I guess. The note was old, the edges were ripped, and the paper was a faded brown color. I read over every word one more time. They were the same sentences no matter how many times I read them.

       I sighed and stuck her letter back in the shoe box and sealed it up tight before setting it back in my closet. I checked myself one more time in the mirror and removed my glasses so I didn't look like a nerd before emerging from my room. The multicolored lights and loud music hit me like a wave on rocks.

       I immediately thought of Dad's party all those years ago, you know, when he fought Rhodey suit to suit? Yea, that's the one.
I walked down the ghostly hallway. Everyone was downstairs or on the other side of the second floor near the staircase. I let my hand run over the railing.

      As I got closer to people, they noticed me and greeted me kindly. I've never met half of these people, all of them are friends of my friends. I snaked my way though a small crowd and made it to the top of the stairs.

      I scanned my eyes over the scene, spotting Nat and Rhodey talking together on the couch. Oh cool! I didn't know that Rhodey would be here. Near the bar stood Doctor Banner and Doctor Cho. Thor was with Clint by the fire pit. Steve was shooting pool with his friend Sam Wilson who I've met before. Nobody here was my age, as usual.

       "You sure clean up nice kid" Dad appeared next to me on the walkway, a sparkling drink rested in his hand. He leaned against the railing "No 'save the Manatee' t-shirt?"

"Unfortunately, it's in the wash, next time though" I told him.

      "Yea not happening" he shook his head and started to descend down the sleek staircase. I followed after him, walking carefully to make sure that I didn't slip because of the pink heels on my feet "you okay, kid?" Dad asked, sounding the tiniest bit worried. He turned to look at me at the bottom of the step "you're not your usual... you know, self"

        "I'm fine" I smiled, looking down to my feet "it's just... everything is so calm. We have the scepter secure, we're at a party, there are some psycho twins out there but it's hardly a problem. Everything is good, and it feels weird"

      "You know what's weird?" Dad asked "You! Lighten up Jessi" I rolled my eyes at him, giving a small smile.

"Funny Dad. You're right, it's party, I've got all my friends. You're right"

      "Awesome" Dad slung his arm over my shoulder and we walked over to Thor, Rhodey and Maria. They were all chatting and laughing together. Dad and I entered right in the middle of Rhodey's story.

      "-But, you know, the suit can take the weight, right? So I take the tank, fly it right up to the general's palace, drop it at his feet. I'm, like, "Boom. You looking for this?"." It didn't get a good laugh so Rhodey repeated the punch line "Boom. Are you looking for... Why do I even talk to you guys? Everywhere else, that story kills!"

"That's the whole story?" Thor asked, looking very confused.

"Yeah" Rhodey nodded "it's a War Machine story"

"It's very good, then" Thor laughed, trying to make up for his quietness "It's impressive"

       "Quality save" Dad mumbled under his breath. I didn't feel right in this conversation so I slipped away to the couches. A couple were basically sitting on each other and we're making out, tongue and all.

       "Hey hey hey" I kicked the mans leg and the girl jumped off him and wiped her lip "get outta here before I fetch the Hulk" I pushed them away and sat down, letting out a heavy breath.

       I ran my hands over my knees, taking a good look around the room. Nobody really noticed me sitting alone on the couch. It didn't really bother me that they didn't though. I kind of like watching instead of interacting. There are just so many unfamiliar people here right now, it's not really that fun for me.

       I leaned back on the couch, smiling softly at how Natasha and Banner seemed to be flirting with each other at the bar, Nat was doing most of the flirting. Steve was standing by, unnoticed by the both of them with a smirk on his face.

       Dad was now standing with Maria among a bunch of other people that I didn't recognize. They all looked extremely happy and slightly drunk. Rhodey was talking with Sam, I'm pretty sure he was telling his War Machine story again. Doctor Cho was with the two, looking very confused with his story.

       Once again, that 'everything is too calm' feeling washed over me. How come nobody else feels that way but me? Was is this looming threat that I feel approaching?

       "You look like you're having fun" My Asgardian friend stood at the side of the couch next to me, holding a drink in his hand.

       "Parties aren't my thing" I pinched the bridge of my nose, feeling blind without my glasses "but I've mentioned that like seven hundred times"

       "Yes, I can definitely see that" Thor sat down beside me, taking a deep breath "I gave some old Asgardian rum to a bunch of elders, I think they might perish later"

      I laughed, hanging my head slightly "That was extremely random and hilarious. But why?" I smiled, scrunching my eyebrows together.

        "They wanted it. I said that it's not meant for mortal men" He defended himself, putting his hands up to his chest "and they said something about Omaha Beach and then they drank it and..." I lifted my chin up, waiting for him to finish "now they're being escorted out"

       I chuckled and wiped under my eye "Didn't they ever teach you in school that you're suppose to respect your elders? And not give them deadly alcoholic beverages?"

       "School?" Thor titled his head to the side "No, no we never called it School, on Asgard we call it the Learning  Hall."

       "The Learning Hall?" I raised an eyebrow. I almost laughed, but I didn't want to make fun of his home, no matter what crazy name they call their schools "Sounds great, Thor"

                                      ***

       "But it's a trick" Clint accused Thor's hammer later that night. All the party guest had left and it was just us. Dad, Steve, Thor, Nat, Bruce, Doctor Cho, Maria, Clint, and Rhodey. I sat beside Steve on the couch and Natasha was on my other side.

"No, no, it's much more than that" Thor shook his head, gesturing to his hammer.

      "Whosoever be he worthy shall haveth the power." Clint recited the semi-true ancient text that Thor always says "Whatever, man! It's a trick!"

"Please, be my guest" Thor offered "Come on"

"Really?" Clint sounded surprised, but he stood up from his seat on the floor anyway.

       "This is gonna be beautiful" Rhodey murmured sarcastically. I sighed and leaned my elbow on the arm rest of the couch, waiting for that show to start.

"Clint, you've had a tough week. We won't hold it against you if you can't get it up" Dad said.

      "You know I've seen this before, right?" Clint looked to Thor before gripping the handle with one hand and started to lift. The hammer didn't even budge. He gave up "I still don't know how you do it!" Clint chuckled, releasing the handle after a few moments of struggling.

"Smell the silent judgment?" Dad asked.

"Please, Stark" Clint stuck out his hand to my Father "by all means"

       "Okay" Dad stood up and unbuttoned his black blazer "Never one to shrink from an honest challenge"

"Oh, great" I rolled my eyes.

"It's physics"

"Physics?" Thor questioned my Fathers little theory.

"Right, so, if I lift it, I then rule Asgard?" Dad asked, placing his two hands on the handle.

"Yes, of course" Thor nodded.

       "I will be reinstituting prima nocta" Dad gripped the handle and pulled up, using most of his strength. Just like before, but nothing happened. Dad released the leather strap at the end of the handle and sighed "I'll be right back"

                                      ***

       "Are you even pulling?" Rhodey asked breathlessly. Dad and Him both had their Iron Man gloves on and were pulling with all their strength.

"Are you on my team?" Dad asked.

"Just represent" Rhodey started again "Pull"

"All right, let's go"

                                     ***

         Banner tried, and again nothing, but he pretended to get angry and roared at us. We all looked at him with disappointed faces. He sat back down awkwardly.

                                      ***

"Go ahead, Steve" I patted the Super Soldiers shoulder "No pressure"

         "Come on, Cap" Dad clapped. Steve rolled up his blue shirt sleeves and wrapped his hands around the handle. He pulled on it with all his might. The Hammer even shifted a tiny bit. A small echo sounded around the room. My mouth fell open. Thor sat up slightly on the couch, looking almost disturbed. But, Cap decided to give up and let go.

"Ha, Nothing" Thor sipped his drink, relief seemed to flood over his face.

"Hey, Hey kid. Your turn" Dad pointed.

I leaned back on the couch "That's a hard pass from me. I'd rather not rule Asgard"

"Ha!" Clint laughed.

"And, Widow?" Banner asked Nat who had yet to go.

       She too a swig of her drink and shook her head "No, no. That's not a question that I need answered"

"All deference to the Man Who Wouldn't Be King, but it's rigged" Dad said.

"You bet your ass" Clint smirked.

"Steve" Maria pointed to Steve and smiled "he said a bad language word"

       "Did you tell everyone about that?" Steve shook his head, glancing to Dad who was now standing up by the Hammer.

       "The handle's imprinted, right?" Dad questioned, ignoring Steve completely "Like a security code. "Whosoever is carrying Thor's fingerprints" is, I think, the literal translation?"

       "Yes. It's a very, very interesting theory.
I have a simpler one" Thor picked up the Hammer with ease and tossed it up in the air before catching it "You're all not worthy"
Everyone in the room rolled their eyes and groaned. We all glanced around and chuckled.

       I've been waiting to say this all night "Whoa, you were all totally taken to the Learning Hall" Nobody understood my joke but Thor. He laughed out loud and tossed his hammer up again.

Then, the piercing, high pitched noise rang though the room of the tower.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

839K 34.9K 36
There are demons in the girl's head. They make her wish she was dead. Two years ago, the infamous Tony Stark told the world that he was Iron...
5.5K 162 19
"I am not that little girl anymore!" Emma Stark had been a secret since the moment she took her first breath. At first it was cool to be the hidden d...
25.7K 607 25
"The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable people to see if they could become something more. To see if they could work together when we n...
44.5K 2.8K 18
One thing Mazzy Stark had always found peculiar was how her scraped knees always seemed to heal within a few measly seconds while the other kids woul...