Calista

By SheHopes

[COMPLETED] Two women. One name. Too many secrets to count. Married to her high school sweetheart, Calista H... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Bonus Chapter: 11 Months Later
Bonus Chapter (The Wedding Part I)
Bonus Chapter (The Wedding Part II)
Bonus Chapter (The Wedding Part III)

Chapter 17

18.5K 1.6K 209
By SheHopes

The next morning, Calista sat next to Pop Pop in the main living area while he showed her pictures of Calista Dover and Sebastian as children. It was nice to feel like she was really his grandchild.

"He was always fighting with you," Pop Pop said. "Here's a picture of you two after he put gum in your hair."

Calista laughed when she saw the photograph of two kids giving one another a dirty look before turning the page of the photo album. Staring back at her was a picture of Sebastian with a giant black eye.

"What happened to him?" she couldn't help but ask.

Pop Pop cackled. "Duckie, it's a shame you don't remember. Now this was a great day. Your brother thought he was tough stuff when he was younger. There was a boy in your class that was always giving you a hard time because he found out you were adopted. He'd pull your hair, steal your crayons, and he even stole your lunch one."

"It sounds like he was a menace."

"He was," Pop Pop agreed. "Your parents thought he just had a crush on you but Sebastian didn't care. Your brother took it upon himself to teach him a lesson. How dare he mess with a Dover!"

Calista covered her mouth to stop herself from giggling. "So he and this kid fought?"

"Of course not!" Pop Pop looked taken aback.

"Then what happened?"

"To be exact, your brother threw the first punch which didn't land its target."

Calista groaned. "Oh no! How horrible."

"It was. Fighting would mean two people hitting one another. Your brother managed to get pummeled that day." Pop Pop grinned, his white dentures glistening.

"Poor Sebastian."

"Don't feel sorry for your brother, my little Duckie," Pop Pop chastised. "He was doing what he thought was right. Getting hurt didn't matter to him. He just wanted that bully to leave his little sister alone."

"So then what happened?" Calista wondered aloud.

"Since he couldn't use his fists and win, your brother decided to use his brains."

"What?"

"He decided to hire that kid as your bodyguard."

Calista frowned. "My bodyguard? He trusted him to do that?"

Pop Pop nodded, a sly smile on his face. "I taught him well."

"I don't understand," Calista said.

"There are several ways you can control someone," Pop Pop explained. "Listen carefully because you may need to use this one day. If you want to have complete power over someone there are only a few ways to do it."

He cleared his throat and held a finger up. "One, you physically beat them into submission."

"That wouldn't have worked for Sebastian since he was the one that was beaten."

"Exactly." Pop Pop held up a second finger, "Two, you can make a person fall deeply and utterly in love with you. Infatuation is a weakness. Never fall so deeply in love with another person to the extent that he's able to manipulate you. I speak from experience here. Love is dangerous."

Calista thought of her husband, Adam. She had trusted him blindly and now she thought he was a possible murderer. Pop Pop was right. Love was dangerous.

"The third way...and this is the easiest...for us, anyway," he said holding another finger up. "The third way is to hire someone. Make them work for you. Love, money, and power are the three ways you can completely rule someone. Without them, you're the one being ruled."

Love. Money. Power.

Did Adam have all three over her?

"So, he ended up overpowering that kid who was picking on me?"

"He still does," Pop Pop laughed.

"How so?" Calista asked.

"The child who picked on you was Roger."

Before Calista could respond, Sebastian sauntered in, his eyes on Calista. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"I told you I'm fine," Calista said.

"Good morning to you too," Pop Pop said facetiously.

Calista smiled as Sebastian shook his head. "I already said good morning the first time I saw you today, Pop Pop."

The old man harrumphed. "What's your point?"

Calista giggled while Sebastian closed his eyes in frustration before smiling at Pop Pop and saying, "Good morning, Pop Pop."

"Boy, are you going daft? You already said good morning to me earlier."

Calista swallowed her laughter as Pop Pop looked at his watch. "What time is my nurse getting here?"

"I thought she was my nurse," Calista jokingly said.

The old man shrugged. "You snooze. You lose. Besides, you have to go to work and Janelle promised me we'd watch reruns of Murder She Wrote."

"Remind me again why I hired her," Sebastian muttered.

"She's good for Pop Pop," Calista whispered.

Sebastian cleared his throat. "As long she keeps him out of trouble, I won't complain. By the way, there are reporters outside."

Calista paled. "They're outside at this very moment?"

"They're going to want a statement from you. They'll want to know about the accident."

"What should I say?" she asked.

"Stick as close to the truth as possible but stay vague."

Pop Pop chuckled. "I taught him that. It's the best way to deal with reporters."

Calista followed Sebastian to the main exit. "They're outside the gate so we can just avoid them, can't we?"

"Yes, but I don't think that'll make this problem go away. We need to address their questions now. Are you sure you're up for this? I know I'm asking a lot from you."

Calista thought of Sebastian holding her hand in the hospital while she recovered and gave a small smile. How could she possibly decline offering him help when he needed it the most?

"No, I can do this," she said.

They were driven past the gate when a crowd of reporters ganged up on their vehicle. The driver came around to Sebastian's side and opened the door. He exited first and then reached his hand out to Calista. "Let's do this."

She stepped out of the car and heard the clicking of cameras all around her.

"Ms. Dover! Ms. Dover!"

Her name was being shouted at her from all directions. Calista felt a little overwhelmed but she Sebastian's hand steadied her as it settled on her shoulder.

One reporter stepped forward and shoved a microphone in front of her. "There have been rumors that your brother Sebastian Dover has been trying to cover up your involvement with the St. Anthony's massacre. Is this true?"

"We've already discussed this," Sebastian said loudly. "My sister was at St. Anthony's to deliver a donation."

"Isn't that just something you made up?" the reporter asked, his eyes narrowing.

The corner of Sebastian's mouth lifted and she could feel him tense beside her. Before he could speak, she answered.

"To all the victims of St. Anthony's," Calista said loudly, "I apologize. I apologize for surviving and not remembering everything that happened that night." She looked at the reporter who had accused Sebastian of hiding the truth. "I guarantee that when I do remember, I'll be sure to share it with the world. In the meantime, all I can tell you is that I didn't know the man who tragically took so many lives that night. I did write a check to St. Anthony's which is why I was there. I wanted to make a donation. Senseless acts of violence always birth confusion and anger. Many of you still want retribution. Or answers...at the very least. Trust me, so do I. That's why I'm asking all of you to please stop trying to accuse my brother of something he is innocent of. He's one of you. His sister was hurt in that explosion."

Calista felt her eyes watering and she wiped away a tear. "While I was recovering in the hospital, I was so scared. I couldn't remember anything and I was in so much pain. The only person I had to comfort me was my brother. He is the most caring person I know and it breaks my heart when the media tries to portray him as some heartless businessman. Yes, I was in an accident a few days ago. No, I was not driving. No, there were no drugs or alcohol involved. The driver is fine and so am I. I'll try my best to be a better person. To be worthy of being the only St. Anthony's survivor. If I do make a mistake, please don't take it out on my brother. I promise that I'll do my best not just for myself...but for all the victims who died that night."

Sebastian wrapped Calista in a hug and helped her back in the car before turning to the reporters, "My sister's been through a lot this past year. I beg of you...please let her keep her promise."

After Sebastian was in the car and they were driving away from the reporters, he turned to Calista. She was still wiping the tears from her eyes.

"That bit about the promise was brilliant," Sebastian murmured.

"I'm sorry for speaking when I shouldn't have. They just kept accusing you of lying that I couldn't take it anymore. I had to say something. You're a good person, Sebastian. I only want good things to happen to you."

Something flickered in his eye before he asked, "Why? Because I'm your brother?"

Calista shook her head. "I was serious when I said you were the only person who comforted me while I was in the hospital. It meant a lot to me."

Sebastian leaned back into the leather seat of the car and sighed. "I'm your brother. At least I'll try to be."

Calista frowned. She knew Sebastian and Calista Dover were siblings but his tone was that of a resigned man.

"From today forward, I'm your brother and you're my sister. I'll always protect you, Calista. No matter what happens...I'll be here for you. Understand?"

Calista cleared her throat. "Haven't you always been my brother? I don't understand what you mean."

Sebastian looked away from her and stared out the window. "That's okay. It's probably best that you don't."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 351 21
**Featured on Wattpad's official YAMystery page!** **Previously featured on Wattpad's official StoriesUndiscovered page!** "The satisfied look on his...
1.7K 239 48
//Highest Rank #393 in Mystery/Thriller 4•2•18// Girls are disappearing all around Chicago. Three friends find themselves caught up in the mystery. W...
3.8M 122K 55
Highest ranking achieved in Romance: #25 GENRE: Romance, Erotica, Drama, Crime, Thriller BOOK DESCRIPTION: College student Emily Maxwell's life took...
456 24 38
"Dear Giles, I'm sure you already know what this note is going to say. Please, do find solace in this as it once again means your life is spared, but...