Rainbow Reflection

By Mygypsy

Harley woke from an accident that should have ended her life. When Drew found she had no memory of who she w... More

Rainbow Reflection
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9 - Him
Chapter 10
Chapter 11 - Him
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36 Betrayal
Chapter 37 Yesteryear
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40 - Homesick
Chapter 41
Chapter 42.
Untitled Part 45
Chapter 44. A mother's love
Chapter 45. Hell hath no fury ...
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Next in the Werecat Stories
Epilogue

Chapter 22

880 74 13
By Mygypsy

Micah:

I look at Rosy where she is curled up asleep in my bed. It is nearly midday and other than using the toilet, having a brief shower and attempting to eat breakfast all she has done is sleep. All her wounds are healed except for the deep bite on the back of her shoulder but even that is progressing exceedingly fast. I watch as she frowns then whimpers in her sleep and I take the time to put my pillow in her arms, she buries her face in it and settles back down into a deep sleep. I pick up the plate of roast pork and stir fried vegies Mikkarl cooked especially for her and head out towards the kitchen.

"Didn't she eat?" Doc asks with a worried from.

I look down at the plate, at the food I had scooped onto the fork and tried to get her to eat after waking her up.

"No," I admit worriedly. "All she seems to want to do is sleep and I swear she has visibly lost weight over night,"

"I'll check how she is going," Doc says after finishing his coffee hurriedly.

"Want me to come as well?" Frank Inness asks getting to his feet.

"No, you make those other phone calls to see if you can line up a full supply of O negative blood. The one unit that's left won't be enough when we do the c-section. " Doc says firmly.

"Righto," Frank says with a nod.

I frown as I follow Doc from the room, he pauses in the lounge room to get his medical bag and a smaller briefcase, he grins at me and lifts the small case.

"Let's see if she will at least let us check his heartbeat," Doc states.

"How soon are you thinking of doing it?" I ask as I meet his eyes levelly. Doc is silent as he holds my gaze for a few seconds.

"We really need to get her to allow an ultrasound." Doc states firmly. "Gestation, size, position, health of the mother ... all have a part in deciding when would be best."

"Maybe Rosy will allow one while she is so sleepy," I say hopefully. I can't help worrying about her, she isn't recovering from her illness as fast as I had hoped. We are silent on the short walk to my room, I glance in where Sam is recovering in his bed and see Lilly sitting in a chair by his bedside as I pass by.

"Hey, I'm back," I say in a normal voice as I step into my room turning the light on. There is no movement, no reaction from Rosy. She is in the same position as when I left, curled up on her side sleeping deeply. I walk to the bedside and gaze down at her for a moment before sitting on the edge of the bed. I place a hand on her shoulder and gently but firmly give it a soft squeeze. I wait a few seconds but there is no response from her so I rub her shoulder briskly.

"Come on you need to wake up," I say firmly. "Rosy. Harley. Wake up darling."

I watch as she frowns, her nose scrunching adorably. I rub her shoulder briskly once again and she begins to stir. Her eyelids flicker and slowly open squinting in the light as she turns her head to look my way.

"What?" Sleep roughens her voice giving it that sexy tone I remember so well, the one that has my body hardening in response.

"Doc wants to check your wounds and make sure you are okay," I tell her and watch as her eyes flick past me to look behind me.

"I'd like to listen to your Kitt's heartbeat as well," Doc says and Rosy's eyes instantly narrow.

"Just a simple check to make sure he is doing well after yesterday," Doc says in a reassuring tone. "Would you like to hear his heartbeat? You'd be able to hear it as well,"

I see the longing and hope fill Rosy's face and her gaze flicks between Doc and I. She gives an eager nod and I hear Doc move closer as I keep my eyes on her face.

"Micah if you would turn the covers back so Harley can uncover her stomach we can listen to the heartbeat first if Harley likes," Doc says encouragingly.

"Yes please," Rosy says as I get to my feet to do as Doc suggested while I keep my face averted to hide my annoyance at him using the name Harley. I look at the small bump that is uncovered as Rosy lifts her t-shirt. Rosy's Kitt.

"You take up a lot of room Micah," Doc says with a light laugh as he subtly pushes me to the side as he steps up to the bed. I can't see what he has in his hands clearly other than something the size and shape of an electric razor in the hand closest to me. I watch as he skims it over her stomach, there is a scratchy static like noise, then the sound not unlike a washing machine. The sound lifts, falls and lifts in volume as he moves his hand around before holding it still.

"That is the blood pulsing in the umbilical cord," Doc says quietly and waits for several moments before moving his hand again. The noise that comes this time when his hand has stopped is different. The sound seems more defined, almost a double beat and clearer, not the swish of liquid.

"That's his heart beating," Doc says softly.

Rosy gives a soft cry and I glance at her face to see tears in her eyes as she covers her mouth with the hand that does not hover near Doc's.

"First time you've heard it?" Doc asks gently.

Rosy nods as tears escapes both her eyes, she looks to me and I smile feeling the wonder that wells inside me as we share this first.

"Time to check the Momma out," Doc says as the sound stops, his voice startling both Rosy and I. I realise we had been lost in the moment for a minute or so as we had listened to the sound. I break eye contact with her as I step back and let Doc move closer to Rosy. I watch as he checks her temperature, blood pressure and listens to her heart as he asks questions. Once Doc is finished he leaves the room and I watch as Rosy settles herself back down comfortably.

"Would you be able to eat if I got you more food?" I ask gently. I watch as she gives a yawn, her eyes are already heavy lidded and glassy.

"Can you just sit with me for a few moments?" Rosy asks with a sleepy murmur. I sit on the edge of the bed and she reaches for one of my hands. I brush the hair back off her face with a soft sigh, I know she would be asleep before I could return with food.

"I'll bring some food in for you in a couple of hours," I tell her. I tilt my head to get a better look at her face when she doesn't react to my voice. She is asleep, my hand held up near her face where she breathes in my scent with every breath.

Rosy:

The insistent demands of my empty stomach wake me up. I glance around the dark room as I listen intently, I can hear soft breathing in the bed with me and glance over my shoulder at Micah who is asleep undisturbed by my slight movements. I frown and reach out to place a hand on his shoulder, he is instantly awake and turns his head towards me.

"You okay Sweetheart?" There is concern in his voice as he sits up. "Anything wrong?"

"I'm hungry," I tell him quietly. I hear the relief in his soft laugh as he gets out of bed. I got to sit up but he is pulling the covers back up and tucking them in around me.

"I'll go see what I can find to cook up for you," Micah says softly as he brushes a kiss against my cheek. I smile as I close my eyes and rub my cheek against the pillow contentedly only to open my eyes as he squeezes one of my feet gently as he rounds the foot of the bed.

"I want bacon," I inform him firmly. This time his laugh is amused as he heads for the door.

"Some things never change," Micah says quietly as he glances back at me from the doorway.

I am too awake to lay in bed contentedly and I am soon getting up and heading for the toilet and bathroom. With my bodily functions quickly addressed I wash my face and hands before heading to the other end of the building and the food I can smell cooking. Micah frowns when he glances towards the table as I take a seat but he says nothing until he places a plate with scrambled eggs, bacon and buttered toast on it before me.

"Eat up," Micah orders.

I pick up a slice of bacon and nibble the end of it delicately, flavour explodes on my tongue and I close my eyes as I moan in pleasure. I take another bite and the crisp meat crunches between my teeth as I chew slowly savouring the rich flavour.

"How are you feeling this morning?" Micah asks as he sits down beside me. He has a plate of food in front of him and cutlery in his far hand as he settles himself in the seat. I accept the knife and fork he hands me but still hold the last bit of the bacon in my fingers as I meet his eyes.

"Hungry," I state simply before popping the last of the bacon between my lips and chewing. I glance down at his plate, several pieces of bacon are nearly over cooked. I eye them a moment before reaching out and taking the closest one, I glance up at Micah through my lashes. Drew had hated it when I picked choice bits off his plate but Micah merely smiles at me as he motions towards his plate.

"What's mine is yours," His voice is thick and warm and I push my plate close to his before I take another crisp piece of bacon from his plate. His arm is warm as he wraps it around my shoulders and pulls me close to nuzzle against where my neck meets my shoulder. I feel the stubble on his face catch in my hair as he rubs his cheek against the side of my head and I pause to allow him this liberty before returning to eating with a soft growl.

Micah:

I tuck the covers in around Rosy's shoulders and stand watching her sleep for a few minutes before walking from the room on quiet feet. I head through the sunroom and out towards the kitchen where I can hear the low buzz of voices. Doc looks up as I reach the entrance to the kitchen, I know he wants to discuss the ultra sound he had managed to do half an hour earlier.

"It's not good," Frank says as he looks up from the laptop screen he is looking at. " There are definite signs of frequent bleeding under the placenta and several old clots there as well."

"Do you think you can get her to agree to that kitt being delivered by caesarean as soon as we get a fresh supply of O negative lined up?" Doc asks.

"Rosy won't agree to anything that might endanger that kitt. You heard her in there," I say tightly as my stomach turns summersaults.

"I will get some steroids that if given to Rosy should make its lungs mature faster. Might be able to give the little kitt a slight chance," Frank says softly. "He's a fighter to have made it this far."

"Did you get a clear enough picture to tell how far along it is?" I ask. I'm torn in two different directions. I want Rosy to be having my kitt, not some other tom's but at the same time a part of me doesn't want us to loose that kitt that I am starting to become attached to.

"It was in a bad position behind the placenta," Doc says with a shake of his head. "It's small, still in breech position,"

I turn my head and look out the small window above the sink as cold reality sets in. We haven't buried Wade and Clint yet and there was a really big probability there would be a third grave needed.

"Good thing is we don't think there is any sign of the cervix softening as yet," Doc informs me gently. " That bleeding, it's a time bomb just waiting to go off. There's a very high chance Rosy would bleed out before labour advanced very far ..."

I stand there forcing myself to listen as they explain at length about the dangers of a caesarean. Finally I nod, my throat thick with tears I dare not shed.

"I'll talk her into it, I'll hold her down if necessary," I say before turning and heading back to my room. I know I've just given permission for something I know my Rosy does not want. But I am greedy, I simply can not loose her again.

Later that night after dark Rosy stirs in my arms, mumbles before groaning and pushing herself up into a sitting position. I can't help smiling as she tugs irritably at her nightie that has ridden up to the top of her hips and twisted around in what must be a very uncomfortable fashion. She stops what she is doing to look over her shoulder at me as if she had felt my gaze, I smile at her and reach up to brush that fringe of hers out of her eyes.

"How about I go into town tomorrow afternoon and pick you up some big over sized t-shirts like you used to sleep in while you were pregnant with Wynn?" I ask.

"Yeah," Rosy grunts softly as she swings her legs off the side of the bed and gets to her feet stiffly. "Back in a minute,"

I get out of bed and go check on the three boys where they are sleeping in the sunroom with Steven and Mikkarl close by. I check each sturdy little body is covered up before heading back towards my bedroom. Rosy is just returning from the toilet and I follow her into the room.

"Do you need the light on?" I ask as I pause by the door. I hear the faint negative sound she makes and move to the side of the bed I had been sleeping in. I watch as she silently gets in bed and I can hear her moving around for a few moments before I get into bed.

"Can't get comfortable?" I murmur softly.

"I keep seeing those dingos in my mind," Rosy says, her voice trembling slightly.

"Hey," I say soothingly as I pull her into my arms. "I'm here, you're safe." I nuzzle against the side of her head and rub my cheek against her head to reassure her. I'm not expecting it when she turns her head and my lips brush against her mouth. I feel her lips part with a gasp and I can't help myself as I cover her lips with mine. She is motionless, no response and no rebuff as I kiss her. I mould her body to mine and take advantage of her gasp to flick the tip of my tongue over the edges of her teeth and touch the tip of her tongue with mine. Slowly she begins to respond and I take my time as I remind her what we both like, I don't stop until we are both gasping for breath. I press my face against her neck and kiss where her pulse pounds just above her collarbone. I listen to her heartbeat and breathing as they slowly return to normal, I stroke down the outside of one of her arms and when I try to twine my fingers through hers I realise she has gone back to sleep while I held her.

Rosy:

"Okay boys," Chris says as he walks into the lounge room and the three boys look up from the drawings they are doing.

"Go wash your hands, afternoon snack is ready." Chris orders in a firm tone. Terry and Dacey scramble to their feet quickly as Wynn stands up from where he had been nestled on my lap, pressed close for a cuddle. Dacey leads the charge out towards the bathroom and I grimace as I place my hands on the floor as I uncross my legs.

"Here." Says Chris as he stops beside me. "Need a lift?"

"Thanks," I say. His hands are strong but gently as he slips them under my armpits and easily lifts me to my feet. I feel the baby move slightly and I rub the swell of my stomach almost unaware of my motion.

"He giving you trouble?" Chris asks with a quick glance at my hand where it moves in a slow circle.

"No, he's just glad I stood up. Aren't you Little Bit?" I direct the question to my unborn kitt.

"I'll go make sure Dacey doesn't decide to put Wynn in the shower and turn it on so he can wash his hands," Chris says with a soft chuckle and I smile as I remember Dacey doing just that the previous night when they had snuck into the bathroom to wash their hands before tea. Chris disappears after the three boys and I glance down at the drawing paper and colourful pencils scattered across the floor. I sigh softly and hold the arm of one of the recliner chairs as I bend my knees and reach down to pick up the pencils and paper. With them put in the craft box I straighten back up only to freeze with a gasp while I am still hunched forward.

A hot sharp pain knifes up into my pelvis, I feel heat flood me then it quickly drains away leaving a growing coldness in its place. I cup a hand under the low swell of my stomach as I try to straighten up but fear and pain knife through me. I don't need to look down as I feel the rhythmic warmth spread down my legs and the coopery tang of blood fills my nostrils. I feel the kitt move frantically then become still. I can't help myself, I look down and stare helplessly at the quickly growing red shadow beneath me.

"Micah!" His name is torn from my throat as panic fills me. The floor sways and drifts in and out of focus as my head swims dizzily. The room tilts and everything is slightly blurred and softly out of focus as I feel myself falling.

Micah:

"Whoa! Someone's in a hurry," Steven laughs beside me as a black car overtakes us with a roar and a dark blur of motion. "Aint that Frank's car?"

The car disappears around the bend in the road ahead of us and I frown as it dawns on me how fast the vehicle is going. The uneasy feeling that had made me tell Steven we were finished shopping and head home ten minutes ago suddenly intensifies.

"Floor it!" I demand even though the car is starting to speed up as the words leave my mouth. Steven has worked out the only reason Frank Inness would be travelling at that speed on a public road would be a medical emergency and most likely that meant Rosy. The roadside foliage rushes past in a blur and the car's tyres squeal as we speed around corners. The drive that normally takes a few minutes short of an hour takes twenty minutes with me cursing the winding road under my breath the entire way. Steven takes the turn into the driveway sharply and still at a high speed, the tyres slide scrambling for traction for a few moments before biting into the road surface.

"Shit shit shit!" I swear as I take in the black car parked almost at the door of the quarters and the toms standing around looking tense and uneasy. I have my seatbelt off and the door open before Steven has brought the car to a halt. I hit the ground running and burst through the screen door ripping it off one hinge in my haste. I am aware of a figure or two in the lounge room as I dash past but I take no notice as I head for the end of the sunroom at a run. Sam is back from the doorway of the small room on the end, he leans heavily against the wall looking as if he is barely able to stand up. He turns his head so he is looking towards me as I race towards him. A detached part of me notes that his face is almost a sickly green, devoid of any healthy colour. He tries to grab hold of me as I rush past him but it is the sight of Chris crouched over a motionless form on the single bed as he does chest compressions that stop me in my tracks.

I am faintly aware of several figures back against the wall and Frank digging frantically through his medical supplies while Doc works at the person's head on the far side of him. I take several steps backwards numbly but halt in the doorway refusing to leave the room.

"I'm sorry Micah, we tried but she was bleeding so much ..."

I look into Lydia's face numb with shock, her words don't make any sense. Slowly I take in her appearance. Her face is drained of colour, her hair is pulled back in a messy bunch and there is blood splattered over the front of her top and trousers as well as smeared up her arms. I glance back to the bed where Chris and Doc are doing CPR on Rosy and I shake my head. I try to move to her bedside but suddenly there are more hands on me and I am dragged backwards through the doorway.

"Frank we're loosing her!" Doc pauses in his efforts to yell. "I can't find a pulse!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5K 82 15
Harley Quinn left everything she loved behind to be with The Joker forgetting who she was and becoming who he wanted her to become. A master at manip...
Voices By Kat

Fanfiction

9.4K 229 13
"Voices. That was all I heard at first..." When Astrus Quinn wakes up in an unfamiliar room with people she doesn't know, what will become of her? Wh...
2.8K 93 32
Have you ever felt so weak, knowing that the person you love loves someone else? Allie is going through the same dilemma. When her man fell out of l...
3.8K 154 6
After a fight on Valentine's Day, Harley remembers an event during her early days in the Joker's gang, where she's kidnapped by a rival criminal. Jok...