Fonttale

By MegynHamilton

Fonttale is an AU where skeletons have a special power related to their font name. A Normal Font Comic Sans f... More

Chapter One: Unseen and Unheard
Chapter two: A Horror-ible Friendship
Chapter Three: What the Future Holds
Chapter Four: Born To Suffer
Chapter Five: Helping The Captain
Chapter Six: Wake-Up Call
Chapter Seven: A King's Duty
Chapter Eight: In His Shoes
Chapter Nine: Sugar Whore
Chapter Ten: A Brother's Bond
Chapter Eleven: A True Hero Is Born
Chapter Twelve: Fonts and Thoughts
Chapter Thirteen: Sick To Death
Chapter Fourteen: Memories Fade, Trauma Doesn't
Chapter Fifteen: Hear No Evil
Chapter Sixteen: Memory Issues
Chapter Seventeen: Daddy Issues
Chapter Eighteen: Problem Child
Chapter Nineteen: You Can't Choose Your Family
Chapter Twenty: A Judge Judges
Chapter Twenty-One: The Great Papyrus
Chapter Twenty-Two: Retirement
Chapter Twenty-Three: Balance
Chapter Twenty-Five: Making Friends
Chapter Twenty-Six: Lying In The Spotlight
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Hope In Horrible Places
Chapter Twenty-Eight: If You Make Yourself A Problem
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Creepy Crawler
Chapter Thirty: Brainstorming
Chapter Thirty-One: A Hero Arises, Another Falls
Chapter Thirty-Two: Turning Over A New Leaf
Chapter Thirty-Three: Carrying On
Chapter Fourteen: Twisted Love

Chapter Twenty-Four: The Doctor Is In

177 10 2
By MegynHamilton

AUTHOR'S NOTE:  Alright, here's where shit gets dumb. I worked hard to get all the different fonts for this story, but guess what? WATTPAD DOESN'T ACCEPT THEM! So from now on the story's gonna be less cool. Just a heads up. I worked hard using Pulse Sans too...the font didn't have commas, questions marks, quotation marks,  or anything really, so I had to combine Comic Sans with it every time. What a waste of effort...enjoy your shitty story.

Chara walked into the Judgment Hall feeling confident.

Things had definitely been different in this timeline, but it worked out for the best despite the injuries they were sporting.

Mettaton had been absent this time around. They didn't know why, but it saved them the trouble of killing him. They were rather proud that they had made it past all the obstacles set before them without dying once. They wanted to keep the streak going regardless of how much pain they were in.

Not that they could come back without their normal amount of Determination.

Maybe killing Papyrus gave us back our Determination...

Maybe...I hope so.

They may have been proud of themselves but they couldn't deny they were in a tough spot. If they were wrong, they'd die and never come back.

Could they even Reset?

They didn't know.

I wish we had found out what Papyrus's font was...

What did he say he had to do sometimes?

I don't remember.

Dwelling on it wouldn't make things any better. They needed to stay positive, optimistic.

Maybe Flowey won't kill Father this time and we can take his soul. It would be nice to be able to kill EVERYONE by hand for once.

Walking towards the door to the Throne Room they heard a loud strange laugh coming from the right.

HA ha ha ha!

"Wh-who's there?!" called Chara entirely freaked out. This was a voice they had never heard before. It was almost like a high drone, but the laughter was fast. The tone was hard to even place. Papyrus's laugh wasn't nearly as creepy, and that was saying something.

You've been busy huh?

Sans stepped out from behind a pillar smiling oddly and flipping a scalpel. He looked totally different from the Sans Chara was used to seeing. His Havelock-blue hoodie, white t-shirt, and black shorts with white stripes, had been replaced with an open doctor's robe smeared with blood; his slippers were replaced with black shoes, and his eyes glowed a bright neon green like the eyes of a black cat.

What the fuuuuhh...

Like my new look kid?

"Wh-what happened?"

What? This? I was helping out some other kids. don't worry about it. said Sans wiping his bloody hands on his robe.

Helping out some other kids?

tell me something, do you think even the worst person can change? that everyone can be a good person if they just try?

Chara took a step back.

"You're not Sans..."

Sans pointed the scalpel in their direction.

You know, you may be right about that. What IS my name? Sans took a small red device from the pocket of his robe and opened it up. He hit something and turned the thing around until it was facing him and then a beam of green light scanned the skeleton before stopping.

What is that thing?

It can't be a FontSearch...

Interesting! Wanna know what it says?

Sans hit something on the device and it began to drone in a mechanical voice.

Pulse Sans: The Frankenstein Font

Attribute: Horror

Type: Legendary

Although this Horror is usually covered in blood, Pulse Sans is a medicinal helper by nature. They enjoy healing injuries and can even bring the dead back to life using the energy from their own soul and a biotic sample.

They have been known to frequent hospitals and laboratories regardless of whether or not they have been abandoned, and are often sought after by people looking for medical miracles.

Pulse Sans has been mistakenly called the "Immortal Font" by some due to their phenomenally high HP and their ability to restore it at incredible speeds by absorbing the life energy around them. Beware that in battle this font can just as easily stop your pulse as they can start it by raising it to unsafe levels.

That IS a FontSearch!

pulse sans huh? not bad...

Chara began to back away from Sans slowly.

They had studied Fonts obsessively and they knew how dangerous Legendaries were.

Where ya' going buddy? don't leave, you're injured...

"I don't need your help!"

you're going to need somebody's help, because i'm gonna tear you apart...

"Leave me alone!"

don't be shy. doesn't your hand hurt? I can help you...

Chara ran from the room as fast as they could. They had the Determination to keep going, but they weren't stupid. They could hit Sans over and over again, and it wouldn't do any good. They needed a plan this time. It didn't matter how many times they reloaded if they were still an unstoppable force meeting an unmovable object, and that was if they COULD reload.

Sans followed them all the way back to Snowdin, stopping only to gather his brother's clothes.

Can I really bring my brother back to life? He still has some of the bones he's grown out of in his room. I could use those...

He decided to return home. It would take forever for Chara to reach Asgore now. By then Flowey would be ready for them...if Sans didn't catch them first.

Opening the front door to his house, Sans walked upstairs and went into Papyrus's bedroom.

His brother's bones lay in a box in a corner nearby. It was a huge relief to see that Papyrus, although not a packrat, still kept his old bones from when he was younger. Some of them were quite small making Sans smile. Losing old bones to skeletons was like losing baby teeth to monsters. They held sentimental value.

Sans took a deep breath to prepare himself. If fonts didn't work on other skeletons, was this a waste of time? Did a small bone even count as a skeleton, or did it need magic in it or a soul? He didn't know and it was scary as hell.

I need to calm down...stay optimistic.

I'm so dizzy...is this even a good idea?

He still wasn't feeling too good from that green stuff he had drank earlier, he didn't want to pass out and doom everyone.

No, no this is the only time I can do this. If the kid gets to Asgore before I do we're done. I don't have time to rest.

This better work.

Picking up a bone, Sans closed his eyes and placed a hand in front of his chest. It began to move as if it were a heart, beating harder and harder each time he sent out a burst of magic. Eventually he felt his body become lighter and opened his eyes to see that he held his own soul in his hand.

It glowed bright neon green, just like his eyes.

Creepy...

Now what? I followed my instincts up to this point, but now nothing's coming to mind.

Sans hovered his soul over the bone, hoping it would have some effect. Green energy from his soul began to crawl over it like living strings and Sans felt himself getting weaker.

I'm using my energy just like the dictionary said! It's gotta be working!

The bone in his hand turned green and began to grow brighter and brighter, to the point where Sans couldn't look at it anymore.

When he opened his eyes, his brother was laying on the ground in front of him unconscious.

It worked.

I can't believe it worked.

bro! papyrus, you're okay! Sans hugged his brother tightly to him, cradling his skull as if he were an infant.

"S-Sans...?"

CLACK!

The doctor kissed his little brother's forehead, ecstatic to hear his voice. hey pap...how are you feeling?

Papyrus looked at him with wide eyes. "How am I feeling? How are YOU feeling? You look horrible!"

heh heh ha ha ha!

"No really. For a split second while my eyes were still closed, I thought the devil was speaking to me."

Sans handed Papyrus his clothes and waited until he was dressed. His brother kept stealing glances his way, worried.

What is this?!

His aura's completely changed!

"I appear to be missing something from my wardrobe," said Papyrus pulling on his gloves.

i think the kid took your scarf.

His voice has really changed. I can understand him but...what is that accent?

"Little thief. Your influence?"

i'm not a thief! said Sans. He wobbled a bit as his head suddenly felt foggy.

"Brother?!"

i'm fine pap. just a little dizzy.

"Why? What did you do?" asked Papyrus sternly. His brother had to of done something. He had died. He knew he had died.

what do you mean? asked Sans averting his eyes. He didn't want to tell Papyrus what happened just yet. The last conversation they had was about Horror Fonts being sick in the head. how would his brother react if he knew Sans had permanently changed into something he didn't like, for him?

"I know I died out there Sans. What did you do?"

it doesn't matter bro, leave it alone.

"Absolutely not. You did something to your-"

Sans eyes glowed angrily and involuntarily.

"..........."

He's a Horror Font.

"Sans..."

He turned himself into a Horror.

Papyrus hugged his brother tightly. He couldn't believe it. After everything Sans had said about Horror Fonts he was still willing to turn himself into one to save his life.

WAS that the reason?

"Are you okay?"

yeah.

What Font is he?

He probably doesn't want to talk about it.

"Listen brother, like you said, we can get therapy. We can go together and you'll be back to your old lazy self in no time!" said Papyrus patting his brother's shoulder.

i'm sorry pap.

"Sorry? What for? You saved me. Are you sorry you saved me? Nyeh heh heh...that's rather cruel-"

i'm sorry about what i said about horror fonts. i didn't know what the hell i was talking about.

"Please don't change your opinion just because-"

Sans took out the dictionary and gave it to Papyrus.

What on earth...

"This is..." Papyrus turned the dictionary over. "Where the friggen' hell did you get a FontSearch?"

The smaller skeleton didn't say anything.

"May I?" asked Papyrus, his thumb over the scan button.

Sans nodded.

"............"

...........

"Pulse Sans?! Goodness! I'm so proud of you brother! Congratulations, you're a Legendary!" cheered Papyrus hugging his brother again. This was great! This was the proof he'd been needing for years. Horror Fonts were useful and not all of them were sick. HE wasn't sick!

And his brother! His brother was not only a Legendary, but he was Pulse Sans! A Font with nearly unlimited HP. A Font that was almost impossible to kill. Nothing could touch his brother now. Even if Papyrus made a mistake, his brother was near invincible.

Sans smiled as his brother picked him up and swung him around. He hadn't seen Papyrus that happy in a long time, if ever.

He's really proud of me?

Oh that's right! I went from one HP to basically infinite HP! He's probably ecstatic.

Good.

If he's happy, I'm happy.

CLACK!

CLACK!

CLACK!

Papyrus covered his brother in kisses, beaming.

Hey! ha ha ha!

"This is wonderful! I'm so happy for you! Nyeh heh heh heh ha ha ha!"

He's safe! He's safe forever! I don't have to worry about losing him ever again!

Unless...

Papyrus put Sans down.

"Where's the human?"

i don't know bro, but they're gonna reach Asgore eventually.

Papyrus headed downstairs and out the front door, his eyes glowing orange.

No.

No they're not.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

275 6 2
(Alternate Ending added!) "If you solve your problems with kindness instead of violence, then everyone wins! Violence isn't necessary! It only hurts...
7.4K 275 16
Rating M because of mild violence :) In the surface once again, Sans just can't be happy. He has seen this too many times, it's just not special anym...
154 9 5
In the midst of Tokyo's bustling streets, you led a life that appeared ordinary, despite your role as a leader in a prominent gang. Yet, beneath the...
134 2 11
Ever since the death of his younger brother. Things have gone downhill in the surface world for Sans. Alphys died a few months after Papyrus to a dis...