The Prince's Duchess { Illyri...

By SeraEnigma

Hardworking Sarina loves her job and is considered a kind hearted girl. Along the way, she befriended an ecce... More

Author's Notes:
Prologue
Chapter 1: Blinded
Chapter 2: Who are you?
Chapter 3: A Promise
Chapter 4: Death of a Duke
Special Chapter: Luis Valentine
Chapter 5 - Grief on both sides
Chapter 6: I'm a Duchess?!
Chapter 7: Invitation
Chapter 8: On My Way
Chapter 9: First Meeting
Chapter 10: Living with the Prince
Chapter 11: An After Party Invite
Chapter 12: Jealousy
Chapter 13: Seductive Kiss
Chapter 14: Lovers
Chapter 15: Stay with me
Chapter 16: Henry's Funeral
Chapter 17: Tonight
Chapter 18: A Prince's Warmth
Chapter 20 Part 1: The Charity Gala
Chapter 20 Part 2: She is Mine
Chapter 21: Confrontation
Chapter 22: Alone with you
Chapter 23: What It Means
Chapter 24: This is not Goodbye
Special Chapter: Catherine Lyonel
Chapter 25: Missing You
Chapter 26: Telling the truth
Chapter 27: Old Wounds
Chapter 28: Twins
Chapter 29: Hidden Shame
Chapter 30: Reunion
Chapter 31: An Unexpected Meeting
Flash Back Chapter: Before I Met You
Chapter 32: Did you Miss Me?
Chapter 33: Tonight, I'm Yours
Chapter 34: Cousins
Chapter 35: The Lost Princess
Special Chapter: Seymone
Chapter 36: Results
Chapter 37: A Stronger Bond
Chapter 38: World of our Own
Chapter 39: Be Honest
Chapter 40: The Brother In Law
Chapter 41: Back to Illyria
Chapter 42: My FiancΓ©e
Chapter 43: Kassim
Chapter 44: Forgive Me?
Chapter 45: Like Father, Like Daughter
Chapter 46: The Forgotten Agreement
Chapter 47: Leaving again
Chapter 48: The Truth about Laila-Part 1
Chapter 49: The Truth about Laila - Part 2
Chapter 50: The Poison
Chapter 51: Flaunting your Title
Chapter 52: Akhun
Chapter 53: The Plot Thickens
Chapter 54: Now and Always
Chapter 55: Sex, Netflix and Chill
Chapter 56: The Lyonel Family Secret
Chapter 57: The Trial
Chapter 58: Forever Mine
Chapter 59: A Lost Love Returns
Chapter 60: An Unexpected Invitation
Chapter 61: Sealed Letter
Chapter 62: Elite Affair
Chapter 63: Her True Colors
Chapter 64: Kidnapped
Chapter 65: Huntress
Chapter 66: Redemption
Chapter 67: Body Heat
Chapter 68: Who am I?
Chapter 69: Rekindled Interest
Chapter 70: Memories of Us
Chapter 71: Aphrodisiac Fever
Extra Chapter: Laila
Chapter 72: Surprise Ambush
Chapter 73: Luce e Ombra
Chapter 74: La Famiglia e tutto
Chapter 75: The Cat is out of the Bag
Chapter 76: Abstinance
Chapter 77: The Wedding
Chapter 78: Night at the Tower
Final Chapter 79: The Prince's Duchess
Epilogue Chapter 80: The Princess' Personal Chef
End of the Story Greetings!
Special Mini Novel Coming Up!

Chapter 19: Town Legends

3.1K 114 3
By SeraEnigma

Leo's POV:

I felt uneasy and worried as I looked around town searching for Sarina, the townspeople waved and greeted me respectfully, and although I instinctively replied and made small talk with a few of the shop owners I have been friends with. My mind was a mess.

All because of her.

She had left the house early and I saw her note by the bed table by the time I had woken up. She told me that she wanted to buy souvenirs and gifts for the whole house staff when we return.

The first thing I did when after reading the note was to dress up rather quickly and drive to town. Sarina was not familiar with this place and she might be lost or wander off too far, the thought that she might be even hurt or even harassed by some perverted male tourists left a painful cut somewhere in my heart.

So fast forward to the present, I then wondered if my friends saw her so I asked them and described her features. The Crystal ware shopkeeper whose establishment was well known for their iridescent crystal figurines looked delighted upon hearing me describe the last customer who bought some of her new pieces.

"Such a polite and lovely girl. She bought a few animal figures for some friends as she said, She mentioned buying some cured ham and jam for the cook."

"Thanks, Granny." Delighted that I finally have a lead, I bowed and left to go to the town's meat district.

There was only one specialty deli shop in Gavin and that was where I went. I saw a few of the town girls stop me for some selfies and a handshake which I reluctantly obliged before opening the door.

"Miss, Are you sure you can carry that? I can help you with that." a male voice was asking.

"Yes I can, you don't have to carry it all the way to the Lodge House for me." Sarina's voice seems embarrassed.

Maintaining a calm face, I walked right in and despite the general and surprise of the customers in the shop. I trained my eye on Sarina and the owner's son Clint who was a few years younger than me.

"Hello Duchess, enjoying yourself?" at my words the customers became even noisier but I ignored them as I approached her.

"Oh Hi Leone, The shop butcher is out sick so his son has been very polite in helping me pick the best-cured ham for Mrs. Briggs." she did not even look guilty and seems happy to see me up and about.

After smiling at her, My gaze met with the guy beside her. Clint was an old childhood buddy, who always played with me whenever I would sneak into town although I have only seen him a few times ever since I became the crown prince. He was not unappealing, being around 5'7, and has messy brown hair. He held the wrapped ham under his beefy arm and was just an inch apart from touching Sarina's shoulder. It irritated me that he seems to have been charmed by her and she has no idea.

"Clint, The duchess of Ladon is my special guest so I will assist her." I pasted my best polite smile and took the wrapped package from him although what I really wanted was to get him a few inches away from Sarina.

"Oh okay then. I had no idea she was that special of a guest for you to show up here." Clint shook my hands jovially. " Say do you think maybe I can come to visit while you are still here?"

Sarina smiled at him which only irritated me more.

"Sure, we would love t-"

"to have you but unfortunately. We are deciding to stay in town for a while longer so we cannot entertain you today." I cut her off all while sounding polite. " She and I are planning on shopping for gifts to give my staff."

Clint look disappointed but after a promise that I would be buying a few more meat for my house, he was happier making a profit. But I noticed that he was still openly admiring my lover even as we left the shop.

"This was a surprise. You seem so exhausted last night so I just went here myself so that you can get some rest." Sarina asked me, her voice concerned. " Is there something wrong?"

She had no idea that I was worried about her. I never really cared what my other lovers did after they had satisfied me in bed so this novel experience of chasing her all the way here was still unsettling.

But as our gazes locked, I found my initial panic and irritation vanish the moment I looked into her clear grey eyes. She really had no idea that I was going out of my mind looking for her.

I'm not myself when she is involved. I don't know why but she could twist me around her finger if she chooses it.

The scary thing was...I don't care.

"You should have asked me to come with you." I lightly mussed my own hair to keep myself from hugging her in broad daylight. " I am your lover after all so please depend on me more."

My words made her eyes go wide and her cheeks suddenly became flushed, then her face softened as she hooked her hand on my unencumbered arm.

"I'm sorry you had to chase me all the way here. You just looked so tired so I figured I can do a bit of shopping myself," she murmured. " Do you want to show me around? Seems like people here know you by name and face."

Her words and attempts to placate me somehow worked since I then went out of my way to show her the best spots in town.

Eventually, word got out that I and the duchess are out together. As a result, we were the talk of the town, often getting a greeting from a random stranger or being photographed.

Most of the townspeople were polite and friendly but some of the tourists just stared and whipped their phones out to take pictures or videos of us as we walked from one shop to another. When I looked at Sarina, she was clutching my arm in a subtle yet firm way as she smiled at a few who waved at her. As a few more people started following us, Her face became a bit anxious and I realized that she was becoming uncomfortable.

After she made her last stop, I grabbed her hand and ducked into a small alleyway that was unnoticed.

The sweet alluring scent of sweet peas wafted around me as we ran through the narrow space until we arrived at a quiet part of town: The Park.

"W-We l...lost...them." Sarina panted and smiled. " Thanks, it was getting rather uncomfortable being watched."

Her face was flushed, her pink lips were parted as she still held on to my arm for support while she was catching her breath. She was making it so hard for me to resist her until her scent once again teased me until I could not take it anymore so I gave in and lowered my head to kiss her.

A tiny gasp came from her before I caught her in a heated kiss. A moan rumbled inside my throat as I tasted her and thought that she was sweeter than ever, especially since I know that she likes it when I touch her.

"Mhmmm...." I licked my lips after ending the kiss slowly in a way that made her tremble. "If you keep on seducing like this duchess, I might really need to rent a room in town."

"I-I never seduced you." she blushed as I nuzzled the side of her neck as my arms went around her.

"Pity. I would have like that."

After teasing her for while. I held her hand as we walked towards a section of the park where you can see some of the iridescent crystal monuments made by Crystal Ware Shop owner's ancestors.

One particular statue of a medieval couple holding one another. These figures are one of the most famous legends in Illyria and have been recounted by parents to their children for centuries.

Sarina's curious eyes went to the platform near it where the story is carved in the stone pedestal in bold black script.

---------👑The Inheritance👑--------

A gifted female seer became the wife of one of the lords of the realm; they were happy together but they never had children, so to make sure the lord has an heir. They adopted a bright young boy and the seer used hers and her husband's blood as his inheritance which is proof of his right to the title despite not being of their blood.

As a result of giving their blood, the child's eyes became silver grey which marked him and his bloodline for life. This also means that the mark accepts him as the true heir to the title.

The boy became a great knight and his lands prospered because the blood of his step-parents also gave him the abilities to be a seer and that helped him in becoming a good lord.

---------👑 the Year 1103 A.D👑--------

I have always loved this legend and many of the tourists found it very interesting as well. The Royal Family had the same statue and story made in the family archives as a reminder of their origin for few could boast that they have ruled the same country for centuries.

"The legend reminds me of what happened to me when I got Henry's eyes." she touched her face, her expression was partly intrigued and then shocked at what she just read. "I never imagined that I would read something....so similar."

If only she knew just how mysterious this country's royal family is.

I unconsciously weaved some of my own "skill" into my words and before I knew it, Sarina was looking to me for answers.

"Leone. My eyes turning grey had sent the doctors at the hospital into a panic. Apparently, a cornea transplant isn't supposed to make one's eyes change color, But after all those tests; it all came back normal. This legend.....is it connected to what happened to my eyes?"

I smiled at her and tried to explain as much as I could without unsettling her too much.

In short, do not freak her out.

"Incidents of people getting their eyes to turn grey have been recorded in my family but it has not happened in a long time. The last descendant to undergo an "Inheritance" process was our great great great grandfather who was a French aristocrat during the Victorian era when he escaped from Paris because of the revolution." lifting my hand, I tipped her chin up gently and stared at the same grey eyes with icy blue flecks the same color as my Uncle's. " To be the first female to have undergone the "Inheritance" is actually an honor, most of those doubting you would think twice of crossing your path."

"Why?"

"Because, believe it or not. Those of Illyrian Society holds the Inheritance Legend a very sacred practice. Having these eyes is a piece of living evidence that the legend has some shred of truth and in a way, it also means you are the undisputed heir of the house of Ladon."

She looked overwhelmed by the reverence and awe in my voice as I explained all this to her. I waited for her to react, most woman would either be skeptical or think I was joking.

But once again she surprised me when she hugged me.

"Europe has some strange adoption processes. But I am not sorry because I love Henry and even though my eyes make me different; I love them because they once belong to a man I loved as a father." she smiled at me in an accepting way as she pulled me to the next monument. "Oh, another legend?"

Ah. Another legend that might interest her.

"This legend is actually popular among lovers and couples, it shows the power of love and faith one has for their partner despite the hard trials one must go through in life." I went behind her and embraced her as she looked at the written script.

Now that I know my duchess is not the type to judge or make fun of my country's culture, my affection for this woman somehow made me hope that she would feel the same.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Sarina's POV:

As I snuggled against Leone's warmth, my mind went back to what he said about my eyes.

Somehow as odd as it sounds, I accept his words easily because he was sincere when he explained the ancient legend and the meaning of possessing Henry's eyes.

That and the way his clear eyes regarded me as if I was a priceless treasure made me feel all fluttery in my stomach.

My eyes then went towards the letters on the monument and read the next legend out loud.

---------👑The Vow👑--------

One day a kind-hearted farm girl saved an old man from the river, the man was injured and so she took him home to care for him. On the fifth day of the old man's recovery, he was deemed well enough to go home and took a liking to the farm girl despite her low born origins.

The young girl started having strange dreams about a man she never knew and day after day, she saw him in her sleep. Thinking that this man might be her angel; they talked to each other like friends would and this continued for years.

Meanwhile, the prince was having trouble sleeping for his mind was always thinking about a certain lady who appears in his dreams. His uncle the duke had suggested that it might be high time he chooses a bride.

The prince's uncle was a gifted seer and he promised that the prince's chosen will affect the fate of the whole kingdom.

And so a ball was given in the Prince's honor and the servant girl attended under the patronage of the duke (who happens to be the man she saved down the river).

The farm girl and prince met. The very moment they touched hands, they felt nostalgic. It was as if they knew each other but are aware that they just met today.

The prince's fascination with the girl scandalized the whole kingdom and everyone was against it but the Uncle proposed a trial for the girl.

The trial was that the prince's father, the king is allowed to question the farm girl three times. If she gets all question about the prince without seeing him for a month then the Uncle will "adopt" her as his heir and she will train to be the Prince's fiancee but if she fails to answer any of the king's questions correctly then she will be exiled and sold as a slave to a foreign country.

Strangely, the farm girl was not scared and fearlessly answered all three questions correctly.

She became the prince's fiancee and trained to be a noblewoman worthy to be a princess.

The prince then made a vow to her that he will always love her and pledged to bound his happiness to her forever.

The princess then became the key to her love's happiness and their rule lasted for decades because of their ability to understand each other. Because of this, their country prospered for years to come. They also had children who developed gifts of their own.

The "vow" became a standard ritual for the next line of rulers who vowed to find a lady worthy enough to bind their destinies together.

---------👑the Year 1408 A.D👑--------

I felt Leone gently close my gaping mouth after reading the whole story, my heart raced at how familiar and...

Ah, who was I kidding?

This legend also resembles how Leone and I met. The eras and circumstances are different but it was basically the same.

"I.....I guess meeting you here in this country was fate." I turned to him as my eyes became misty with tears. " Did you know who I was when you saw me at the car when we first met?"

He smiled at me and it made my body all tingly as he cupped my face and kissed my nose and then my forehead. I pressed myself against him to seek more of his warmth as he tightened his hold on me.

"Valentine sent me files of you. Somehow that was the moment I knew you were the same woman who has haunted my dreams." Leone grinned sheepishly. " I have been wanting you for so long that I have lost all interest in all other women other than you."

"Seriously?" I did not sound convincing. I remembered that time when Sey did a Google search on him and images of him with several well-known and high-profile women popped out. It was difficult to imagine a girl like me could banish the images of those women for they were all so beautiful and perfect.

"Yes." His word contained sincerity and the quick way he answered made me smile even more.

"Well, I am happy that you think of me so well. I....I will miss you when I go back home." 

He laughed at that but I suddenly saw a flash of sadness when I said that I would be leaving. We had already talked about this, Sey was a responsibility I cannot abandon and he was aware of that.

Somehow we walked out of the park in silence. What I said must have killed the amorous air between us, I sighed and wished that sometimes I could just be like other girls and just not mention the truth at all times.

"I made a call while I was on my way here, We have reservations at a garden cafe which I think will impress you," he said to me as we made our way to a street filled with small pubs and cafes.

Hearing his jovial tone suddenly perked me up as he went towards a pretty brick cafe house and talked with the owner in French, the old man looked at me and smiled gently as he led us into the backside of the cafe.

I wondered why the owner brought us out back but my question was answered when I saw him unlock the door to a beautiful garden dome.

"Les préparatifs sont complets mon Prince." the gentleman bowed as Leone gave him a wad of bills as he tipped his hat at me. "Enjoy yourselves, mademoiselle."

"Ah, Merci." Leone's accent was very different when he speaks in French, it sounds very melodic and warm.

She rather liked it. It sounds very sexy.

When we went inside, my mouth formed an audible gasp. The dome was beautiful but that was not all, the entire place house different kinds of butterflies of varying shapes and colors, the floral scent of the blossoms mingling with air was refreshing and I felt myself in awe when I saw that in the middle of the garden was a clearing where a huge umbrella was sticking out and underneath it was a huge picnic blanket laden with food and a bottle of chilled wine.

"I remember asking you where would you love to go. I offered options like Milan, Paris, or Sweden but you floored me when you asked for a simple picnic lunch. " He watched the expressions play on my face and smiled. " You like it?"

"I love it! The place is so beautiful! Thank you for bringing me here." I gushed out loud, my joy bubbling over like an overflowing pot.

My reaction made Leone's smile even warmer as we sat down on the blanket and ate tiny meat pies, potato salad, and cheese baguette toasts filled with different toppings. For dessert, we wolfed down small home chocolate lava cakes in ramekin bowls.

"Do you want to stay here for a while?" He asked me after we finished our lunch.

"Yes please." I looked up and saw several butterflies floating by some flower bushes. A felt something heavy land on my thighs, when I looked down I saw Leone with his head on my lap looking up at me with sleepy eyes.

"If something this simple makes you happy. I will make a call to a few people I know to construct a dome garden behind the lodge." he yawned lazily as he reached out to catch a stray lock of my hair.

"Leone....I..." A lump suddenly formed in my throat at his words. "I do not know if I'll even come back."

"You will. I am sure of it because.." he kissed the hair strand that was in his hand while looking at me gently. " I know you can't be apart from me now."

I open my mouth to tell him that I cannot just leave and go back here but something was holding me back, the lump in my throat became even heavier and I felt torn for the first time. Leone is so accepting of my predicament and yet why am I feeling so petulant? Why is he making such a sad face?

Do I want him to tell me not to go?

Can I just leave the Philippines and settle down here? Maybe after my cousin's future is assured...

The turmoil must have shown in my face because he suddenly pulled my head down and kissed me.

This kiss was so gentle as opposed to his heated approach, it was enough to make me feel at ease as I touched his jaw as his lips parted from mine.

"Rina. I am aware of your love for your cousin and I respect that. Not many women would take in their cousins and love them as you did with Sey." He caressed my cheek. "But I am sure your cousin would also wish for you to find happiness."

" Yes, she has always told me to find love but how am I suppose to...Oh!" I gasped we he got up so suddenly and towered over me, caging both my sides with his long and powerful arms.

"Then let me reassure you." he then took off his signet ring and took my right hand. The ring was too big for my finger so he pulled out a silver chain and placed the ring on it before putting it around my neck. "Promise me that you will...Return that to me someday."

I looked at the ring which glimmered slightly and then at him with unreadable eyes. The Signet Ring is a very important item that is bestowed to very important people, to give a precious thing to me means he trusts me to keep it safe.

He knew my predicament and yet he made sure I had a reason for me to return to this place.

" I promise. I will return this someday."

After that, my mind blanked out as he lowered his head to kiss me again amidst the multitude of butterflies fluttering around the garden.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

229K 13.1K 60
"A single night can change the course of your entire life." . . . [Yandere Prince x Female Reader] Once upon a time, in the tiny kingdom of Vascini...
409K 15.5K 53
DARK ROMANCE!!! "Tsk." "See, what your disobedience did." He rasped in a mocking tone. His head tilted to the left as he peered down at her with a s...
154K 2.5K 42
"What the fuck is your problem?" I asked my sworn enemy. "Have you lost your damn mind!" I scream at the top of my lungs. This bitch better answer m...
26.2K 2.8K 65
A FULANI COUSIN'S LOVE STORY --- "Whether you love me or not that's your problem, whether you want this marriage or not that's your buisness, Halima...