Mistress Of Fortune

By Fierylight

Vacations. Vacations are full of fun, and adventure. Especially when travelling abroad for the summer wit... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Announcement

Chapter 15

498 34 3
By Fierylight

Chapter 15

Echo's POV

   I sat, I paced, I thought. I had the ring sitting on the desk and I kept my eyes on it. I thought about how I would approach this, how I could get out of this if it was even possible. I ran my hands down my face and yelled angrily. I peered out the window to the garden, at the people roaming around, at my friends. All unaware about the fact I now have to marry this man while they all get to live happy lives.

   Blowing out a breath of air I tried to weigh my pros against the cons. I eventually gave up and just accepted that in this, I have no choice. This man was going to take over my life completely and I have no choice in this at all. All because I wanted to prove a point. Shaking my head I grabbed the ring and made my way to my room. I put it in the nightstand and changed into some work out clothes I brought.

    Yes I workout, a bit differently, but I do. Why do you think I can fight? I lived in a bad part of town, alone. I grabbed a small duffle and headed downstairs after closing my door, I have the key to unlock it. When I figured out last week that this family has a gym in the West part of the compound which can be reached by a minutes walk. I've been using it in my free time.

   Ethan and Jack followed as I made my way down the cobbled path with quickness in my step. I wanted to get in the ring and just get everything out. When we got there I saw some men, as in guards, training. Marco has given me and only me permission to come in here to work out. My friends and I have different ways of relieving stress and anger. They all either swim, have sex, or eat. I beat the ever living shit out of an inanimate bag of sand.

   Sweat dripped off my face, and down my back and chest. My knuckles and hands hurt from hitting the bag for as long as I have been. Each time I get angrier and angrier. I have my hands wrapped, but I know that won't change the outcome. I punch, kick, and then punch again. Left and right, upper cuts, and round house kicks. Quick steps, quick hits. Over and over. 

   My heart pounded, and my skin was hot and sticky. Sweat dripped from my body, and my body was sore. My hands were sore, and my side killed. Bitter thoughts ran through my mind, and the anger was taken out on the bag.

   "Echo!" I heard someone yell loudly. I stood up and turned. Marco was standing there in a new suit, and he looked as though he cleaned himself up. "I've been calling your name for the past couple minutes. What did the bag ever do to you?" He chuckled. I went back in my stance and he stopped me. "Echo come on. The BBQ is starting, and my wife wants you to be eating with us, and our friends." 

   "What good has being a part of this culture done for me?" I snapped angrily and he looked down then up at me. "Sorry. I..just let me beat the bag so I don't beat people." I said and he sighed.

   "Echo you're stitches are bleeding." I heard Ethan say. I looked down and saw the blood seeping through the bandage. No wonder it was stinging. I went back in my stance, all I want to do is beat this bag, and be left alone.

    "Echo." I turned and snapped.

   "What?! Can't I just be left alone while I still have my freedom? I have some man I don't know a thing about that has claimed me as his bride which I have no say in, and none of my friends know. I'm scared, and I have no idea how to handle this situation! I-I'm not like you people, my life was simple and sad. I want it to be that way again but it won't. So just, stop." I said swallowing, and put my hands on my head and walked a few feet.

   "We're here if you want us Echo." Marco said and left quietly. I then proceeded to completely demolish the bag, broke the anchors, and was forced to stop for now.

   I didn't bother to put on a shirt, and slipped my shoes on. I threw the gloves in the bag and headed for the house.

   "Remind us to not get on your bad side." Jack said and I scoffed.

   "I don't think I have one at the moment. It's all just defeat." I muttered and entered the house. I heard music, and laughter. Some people were in the house and I got stared at. People whispered or stared, I ignored them all and made my way upstairs to my room. I unlocked the door, and closed it making sure to lock it. Jack and Nathan stood outside.

   I threw the bag in the corner and stripped. I took a quick shower, and got out after I was clean. I threw on my underwear, a muscle tee, and shorts. I exited my room. I locked the door again and made my way downstairs. I did re-bandage my wounds.

   When I made my way outside people stared and I didn't care anymore. As I walked my feet touched the wood and stone of the back deck or what ever this massive thing was. I saw my friends swimming, or laughing with other people. I saw adults drinking alcohol, and saw some wine, some martini's, then some brandy. I went for the brandy. The bottle was half full so I just took it. I got stares but I honestly don't care.

   "You're underage." I heard someone speak. I turned and saw some fancy looking woman in her dress and pearls with a cake face. I took a sip staring her straight in the eye.

   "And you're too old to wear a dress like that. But you still are wearing it, and I'm still going to drink this so mind your own damn business." I said calmly and heard the man next to her snicker. She gaped at me and I walked away towards the teenagers at the pool. 

   I took a seat in the open chair and watched my friends chat with the other teens, and older 'teens'. I sat there drinking, and picking apart plants. 

   "Hey how the hell did you get alcohol?" I heard some random guy say loudly. I looked up and had people staring at me.

   "I walked over, picked it up, then walked away." I said as if he was ignorant, which he probably was. Gannon gave me a look, and Vinny and his sister looked at each other.

   "The adults didn't try to take it?" Some girl said. I took another sip and stared at the people staring at me.

   "She shouldn't be drinking considering we're still from the US, and legally 21 is the drinking age." I heard Rissa say making me roll my eyes. I took a large gulp and leaned back in my seat.

   "It's just flavored water." I said and my friends gave me that look. You know, the one where it's bullshit, and they're annoyed.

   I ignored the rest and looked around. When I looked over at the adults I wanted to die on the spot. There he stood, chatting with some people. He wasn't in his normal suit, he was in jeans, and a sweatshirt with Converse. The sweatshirt fit like a shirt, and I watched as women, men, and girls stared in jealousy, or lust. I looked over at Vinny who must have seen too because he looked at his sister who was pale, and still. I don't have the ring on, or near me. It's in the house, maybe I can be a dick and get out of this.

   "What ever you're thinking don't. You can't get out of it, so don't try. He'll take you before you can do anything." I heard Clara whisper as she got closer to me. I peered over and now Marco was near him. I felt really sick, and looked down at my bottle. It was still a fourth full, and I took another sip.

   "I'm going to need so much more alcohol." I whimpered quietly. She sighed and patted my leg. I looked back over and saw Marco and Leo talking quietly, and off to the side, well away from everyone. Leo leaned against the railing and I saw him grip the rail. His facial features seemed angry, but Marco was calm. 

   "Does your father have balls of steel or something because he's talking to Valentine...and Valentine doesn't look happy." Some guy said aloud. I swallowed when Valentine got closer to Marco and seemed livid. I saw Gulia watching near her friends, and some people were peering at them. I finished the brandy and stood up.

   "I need more." I whispered and Clara laughed.

   "Good luck with that." She said and gave me a look. "My dad must really like you if he's braving speaking to Prince Charming." She said as I walked away. As I got closer I managed to keep myself hidden. I made it to the bar unseen. I traded the empty for a half full, the tender unimpressed, but said nothing.

   I snuck back and made it down to the seat with a sigh. Some guys made a fuss about how I was able to do this. I kept picking apart flowers and grass as I watched people in the pool play games and splash. Thoughts consumed me, and I was sipping at the drink, slowly. I started to feel the buzz, but it was nothing to knock me of my senses. I ran my finger over the mouth of the bottle while I was thinking.

   I got up and handed the bottle to Vinny who took a swig and passed it round. I got thanked but I headed up to the main area. Someone grabbed my wrist causing me to grab their arm and bend it. The person was on their knees. I looked down and saw some woman, a bit older than me, and prettier.

   "Let go." She said causing me to scoff. I let go and stared at her. She got herself up and smoothed out her dress which was way to tight, and way too short. "So you're the one he wants." She said and I rose a brow in question. "Valentine? The sexiest man alive." She said and I laughed and shook my head. So shallow.

   "Who are you." I said and she huffed.

   "The one he was suppose to be with. You ruined it you know. It would have worked perfectly if you hadn't gotten in the way. Such a shame he's downgrading." She said and I peered over to the pool and saw that some of the kids were staring. I then peered over at Marco and Gulia who were waiting, and had smirks but hid them as they drank their drinks. I rolled my shoulders and sighed.

   "And you honestly think I wanted this to happen." I said and she scoffed with her arms crossed. People were going on about their business. 

   "Of course you did. He's the richest man I know, sexiest too. Most powerful. He's the catch and he's going for...for some foreign trash that couldn't afford the lipstick I'm wearing." She said and I took a breath, calm yourself. You can destroy a punching bag, but if you hurt her then it makes you look bad. Kill her with words, not kindness. I smiled at her.

   "Well, here's some information for your small mind. He's not the richest man, maybe that you know personally, by not in the world. He's not the sexiest because that's personal choice and opinion, and sexy isn't a term that should be used. Handsome, or good looking because that doesn't make it derogatory. As for him being powerful, he's not. He's an average man with money, and an ego with a streak for hurting people that makes him feared. Being feared isn't power, it's other people being cautious which makes a person well known. There's a difference. Him being a catch may be true, but the things listed are superficial. If you said he's intelligent, or kind, or even that he has certain abilities to make him a good man would have been something worth my time to hear." I spoke with a smile. "As for me not being able to afford your lipstick, my question would be why spend so much on a lipstick when you could spend it on better, smarter things. Like stocks if that's what you like, or maybe even donate some amount instead of being selfish. Now if it's a one time thing, it's understandable but if it's constant, maybe reevaluating your life would be beneficial. As for me ruining what ever it is you had with this Valentine, I had no intention of doing. I want nothing to do with this entire ordeal. I came here for a well needed vacation and got stuck with someone elses mess. So please take yourself away from me, and don't speak to me again unless you educate yourself a little more, and can hold an intelligent conversation. Then again who am I kidding, that won't happen will it?" I said with a sigh. 

   She stood frozen, red faced, and breathing fast.

   "You probably didn't understand a word I said. Instead of buying lipstick and new clothes you don't need, maybe a college education and a dictionary would be a better use of daddy's funds and everyone's time." I said and her mouth was open as if to say something, but she said nothing. 

   I turned and headed inside. I honestly can't stand ignorant people. I also can't stand people who assume things, but then again, I'd be a hypocrite wouldn't I.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

249 13 9
In a world of crisis and no hope two great mafia families are aligned by each of their heirs, Valentina Martinez and her soon to be husband Javier or...
8K 181 42
When a guy is forced into finding the next heir to his mafia by his dad, he impregnates a random girl he met at a club The girl looses everyone when...
172K 3.6K 65
Kidnapped and taken to an assassin's training camp leads to Roxie having sell her soul to the devil to save someone close to her. She then became a...