Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Echo's POV

   The music played softly as I drove myself back to the one place I didn't like. Home. Then again, it wasn't really home. It was an empty shell of a place left behind from people past, and I was the tenant at the moment occupying the space. It was a decent sized area considering it was a loft apartment for one. I paid a sum of money, and it was my apartment kind of alone. So I didn't mind. 

   I got out of my car, locked my car up, and headed inside. The area of my loft was perfect for one person, and maybe a cat. I placed my keys on the hook and shucked my shoes off under the table. I then tossed my bag on the table and sighed. The only thing that lit up the loft was the string lights I always keep on. I went to my fridge and peered inside. Nothing but juice, and spoiled milk, and my crisp. I settled on the crisp and moved myself to the bedroom area. 

   I have a bed, not a box spring. I already packed what I had for clothes into the suitcase I had.  I grabbed my actual bag and took everything from it. I stacked it all up next to the wall and sighed. Sitting on the floor I looked around. This is what my life has become. Nothing. Empty. Pitiful. Shaking my head I stood up and started to place the things I knew I might need on hand in the bag. After I packed pretty much all my stuff up, I decided to shower.

   Cold water, cheap shampoo and conditioner, and some tears. After I took the shower, I got out and dried myself off. I threw on a large t-shirt over underwear and a bra. I ran a brush through my curly hair, I then towel dried my hair. Leaving the bathroom after cleaning it up a bit I made my way back into the bedroom area and grabbed the current book I was reading. 

   I was getting into the book when I heard my door open and close. Who the hell is in my apartment? I stood up and grabbed my bat. When I turned the corner, I growled. It was Gannon. He flicked the lights on blinding me a bit. 

   "How the hell can you see in the dark?" He said squinting.

   "Why the hell are you in my apartment?" I said tossing the bat on my bed. I turned to him and he held up a white bag. It had a yellow smiley face on it. 

   "I brought food knowing you've got none. Plus, I didn't want you to be alone tonight of all nights." He said setting the bag on my table. I noticed his hair was damp, and he was dressed in sweats. I shook my head. "Shut up Bookworm. Don't give me that look." He set his keys on the table and kicked his shoes off. I shook my head and sighed. 

   "I might have plates and silverware Prince Charming." I said back and he laughed.

   "Don't need em' Beauty." I gasped. 

   "I'm not going to fall in love with a beast you ass." I said and sat at the table with him.

   "You take everything so literal." He shook his head and passed me some food and some plastic silverware. "Just shut it and eat some food. When you passed on eating the rest of your food I knew you had nothing in your arsenal of food here." He said and I rolled my eyes and started to eat. Small bits at a time, but slowly to start.

   "Why do you care so much Gannon?" I asked and he was quiet for a few moments.

   "I've known you since 6th grade. Since you were like eleven or twelve and I was like fourteen or something. I care about you Brains. Besides, brains needs brawn and that's what I am. We fit together perfectly, like in your fairy tales." He shrugged and I smiled shaking my head.

   "I still don't understand why five of the richest kids on our town, and school decided they wanted to befriend me. And even now, like you know I have to pay you back for the-" He rolled his eyes as he shoved Lo Mein in his mouth. It made me laugh.

   "Shut the fuck up!" He exclaimed with food in his mouth. "I have more money than I want or need. Forty dollars for food is nothing. My parents spend more than that on the nasty habit of drinking. It's honestly nothing. Literally my younger sister spends more than that on one lipstick. It's disgusting." He said shaking his head. I stabbed at my Lo Mein quietly and he sighed.

   "Brains." He said sighing. I looked up at him. "Stop thinking about it." He said sitting up straight and setting his food down. "How long?" He asked and I swallowed. I shook my head. He took a moment. "How long has it been since the last time?" He asked and I set the food down and picked at the material.

   "Three days." I said quietly. He sighed and ran his hand down his face. 

   "Echo-" He started.

   "I can't help it. I just. Once I get one started I can't stop. I want to know the end. I want to know why and how. You know that. You can't be mad at me. You know I like to learn." I said and he shook his head.

   "There's a difference between learning, and obsessing." He said and I shook my head. "There is no end Echo. They're unsolved for a reason. I literally don't even know how you get a hold of them." He said throwing his hands in the air.

   "It's not that hard. People just don't know how to piece them together. Gannon please don't be mad. I'm not even tired. I wasn't hungry either. I'm not. I just...I want to know the end." I said and he shook his head and put his head in his hands.

   "God Echo. You need to sleep. Tonight. Even if I have to watch you, and stay. You need sleep. You've already lost so much weight, and over the past few years. Echo you're not okay." He said and I looked at my lap. Anger bubbled inside of me. Then finally, the bubble, burst.